• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Pikachu Q&A Thread (Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer)

isaiah :)

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xais28X
3DS FC
4184-4265-4419
so when i QAC sometimes, pikachu gets stuck cin crawling position on the ground, and i can't move for a few frames, but this doesn't happen a lot,any thing i can do to not have that happen?

HOO HAH

Smash Rookie
Pikachu also has a high learning curve. Learning how to control QA and all its variations is very important. Mastering FH TJ mix-ups are important to because it basically gives you a free read with 0 commitment because it forces a defenisve option. In combination, with QA you can create a plethora of mix-up just of FH TJ. Mastering FH TJ+QA and reading their options practically makes your spacing second to none. I think D-tilt is one of pikachu's best moves because it great for spacing and can be acted out of very quickly. If they shield it they are forced to jump OOS which can be beaten by N-air which is also safe on shield. D-tilt+nair covers so many options since they are both safe on shield and come out super fast. Once you nair you can fall with TJ which leads to even more mix-ups. Pikachu's neutral game really comes together with his normals and specials.
This is all true, but we as a community need to learn more about Pikachu's tools in general specifcally mastering QA one of the strongest cross-ups and mobility options in the game. We need to learn the angles in which quick attack can be used to beat defensive options such as roll, spot dodge, jump, and shield. If we master how QA works in these respects we can easily advance our gameplay. I think we should make a thread like this: http://smashboards.com/threads/mari...-session-18-forward-air.395539/#post-18816345
I lack the tools to do this but if somebody can somehow create pictures of how quick attack can cross up shields, beat rolls, hit jumps, and punish spot dodges it would be really helpful. We know pikachu has mindgames with QA but we need to learn how to apply them.

Soul.

How can someone practice if they don't know the applications lol.
A moveset thread is a good idea to me, but I dunno. People need to be okay with that for it to happen.
Now then, is there any way to use Thunder Burst effectively?

Angiance

Smash Lord
Quick Attack is reeeeeeaaaally not that hard to understand-and Thunderburst is just horrible, but you could catch landings and rolls with it, or even dash attack, maybe even pressure shields

Soul.

Hmm... I've been in the lab trying out the move; Thunder Burst after a down throw seems possible for mixups, but I think it's pretty situational. The rest is most likely true I suppose. Default Thunder will always be better.

bakku-shann

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3540-2113-5104
so guys I have been looking for a secondary, and I was wondering who is a good character to cover pikachus weakness's. also I was wondering what is the best way to practice pikachus qa on 3ds? my inputs are rarely right when I try to do ledge canceling

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
so guys I have been looking for a secondary, and I was wondering who is a good character to cover pikachus weakness's. also I was wondering what is the best way to practice pikachus qa on 3ds? my inputs are rarely right when I try to do ledge canceling
Villager is Pika's best secondary.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
really? because I actually have been playing villager lately for fun
Our worst MU is easily Luigi, and is one of our only bad MUs. Villager is Luigi's worst MU, according to the Luigi boards, so I would think so.

bakku-shann

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3540-2113-5104
oh sweet :) thanks for the info. I still have a lot to learn with pikachu, but I ant to focus on 2 characters at once so I dont get bored as easy.

I tried to learn how to do all the qa ledge canceling like in the video esam released, but i hurt my thumb really bad. its hard to do inputs on the 3ds joystick

Last edited by a moderator:

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xais28X
3DS FC
4184-4265-4419
can we get some "dont take pikachu to lylat" memes please?

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
So far as I can tell, Pika doesn't have any disadvantageous MUs, meaning that luigi is our worst MU.

Thor

Smash Champion
How is it the worst when we're even with him
If we win every MU but one MU, our hardest [aka worst] MU is that MU.

As an example, MK's worst MU in Brawl was MK [and possibly Pikachu]. He didn't really lose either MU, but they were still his hardest MUs [because he won every other MU]. So it's basically the MU that is likely to be most difficult for the player, even if it's one they "should" win or win if they are the better player.

... I don't think I'm explaining this very well.

To the person asking above, Sheik is also a good backup to Pikachu - similar gameplan [so to speak], and I'm nearly positive Sheik beats both Luigi and Yoshi, if only slightly [ESAM has said Mii Brawler, Yoshi, and Luigi are Pikachu's hardest MUs, although he says that meaning he thinks they're the 3 that will be hardest to play, not that they are 3 losing MUs].

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
What % do Meteor Quick Attack and Quick Feet do?
Went to training mode, the opponent was Mario.

Quick feet was definitely 5 damage.
Meteor QA first hit was 2 damage, second hit was 2 damage, too.

Still, Meteor QA was a bit strange. Doing the first then second hit consecutively twice (meaning 4 hits in total) added up to 9%, when it should've done 8%.

Last edited:

Soul.

Meteor QA is weird. Second hit does like 4%, then 5%. The first hit always does 2%.
Then again, nobody uses the move to my knowledge, so..

cerealkiller

Smash Journeyman
Hello Pika threads.
I have a question regarding Quick-Attack. Is it well know what his vulnerable frames are during this attack? I know his hitbox streches and can be hit but ultimately what I want to know is if when edguarding from a Pikachu I could drop and hit him facing the stage as he's about to grab the ledge in those final frames of the QA?

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xais28X
3DS FC
4184-4265-4419
Hello Pika threads.
I have a question regarding Quick-Attack. Is it well know what his vulnerable frames are during this attack? I know his hitbox streches and can be hit but ultimately what I want to know is if when edguarding from a Pikachu I could drop and hit him facing the stage as he's about to grab the ledge in those final frames of the QA?
try it out and see.. if you can

Last edited:

Angiance

Smash Lord
Know what, since I hate that Quick Attack is overrated, I'll tell ya how to beat it

Watch for the spacing and hard counter it with a smash attack, it has a 15 frame start up so you -could- charge your smash attack if you have a read, and then release it as soon as you see Quick Attack's startup animation

cerealkiller

Smash Journeyman
QA is not that easy to read. But my initial question was about QA as a recovery tool. I see now that I may have been edgeguarding Pikachu very badly...

Top Bottom