• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Pikachu Q&A Thread (Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer)

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Well, it definitely learns things. I started to keep countering my Amiibo's super telegraphed moves, and at level 50, it literally just stands there and attacks at random intervals. It doesn't even do anything if I simply stand there.

So yep, don't give your amiibo a Counter treatment. I had to reset my Pika because of how boring it was to play against him.
I remember there was this one vid of a person teaching his Pika to constantly spam Thunder, and the Amiibo actually did use Thunder in a lot more situations than it was supposed to.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
Well, it definitely learns things. I started to keep countering my Amiibo's super telegraphed moves, and at level 50, it literally just stands there and attacks at random intervals. It doesn't even do anything if I simply stand there.

So yep, don't give your amiibo a Counter treatment. I had to reset my Pika because of how boring it was to play against him.
I remember there was this one vid of a person teaching his Pika to constantly spam Thunder, and the Amiibo actually did use Thunder in a lot more situations than it was supposed to.
I saw that vid on youtube as well..I wish ammibo's had a better offstage game....I am not as hyped for training mine now

BellaLunaWolf

Smash Cadet
NNID
BellaLunaWolf
3DS FC
5026-4611-0782
Ooh can y'all share this video of the Pikachu amiibo you speak of? I'm curious now.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Dash attack feels nice in this game, and I use it maybe too much.
Long duration hitbox, helps Pika stay somewhat mobile, and some high knockback, although it barely kills.
I use this and thunder jolt to punish people with bad rolling habits, at least online.
What are other applications of dash attack? I use it to approach sometimes, although I feel that Pika seems like a character that doesn't approach? SH fair almost never lands unless it's a fastfalled approach from above, I feel.
Also, I don't find myself using dsmash very much. Is it still a nice move, and if so, how should I use it? My main concerns: The hitbox doesn't feel like it's out as long, so you kinda have to charge it to catch rollers, and the ending lag on this makes it punishable if you don't make a correct read. Dsmash IS the only grounded option that quickly covers both sides of Pika (usmash sourspot is trash in both speed and knockback), but dsmash range isn't too great.

EDIT:
Gawd, I just read my post, and it looks so weird.
Sorry about all that. I go over things I know already because I find it awkward when people do a HUGE writeup on things I already have down.
So main question was: How do you apply/not apply dash attack, and how do you use dsmash?

Last edited:

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Video :4link:: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JbOqPGPXZoM
This was some time ago but I have recently picked up pika-pi xD <--it all rhymes!
So anyway Kenny would skull bash to the ledge but as soon as he hit the side of the edge he could act out again...how u do dis Kenny-senpai??:o
Please someone answer ty!
Sweetspot the edge and input back or down immediately to leave the edge. That's all he did. It's not an advanced technique or anything.
HOWEVER, visually it appears that Pikachu has a shorter delay before he can leave the edge after grabbing it. Appeared this way in Brawl too. I don't know how many frames shorter, though. Would be great if someone with the means can give the frame data on this.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Anyone know what controls whether or not dtilt trips? Is it just RNG? If so, what are the odds the opponent trips?

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
I like what I see. I've always been a huge fan of using d-tilt in combos. If you get the trip, crazy nonsense like that can ensue.
D-tilt is great to use on Battlefield....I find it hard to correctly use in ForGlory with all FinalDestination stages.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
D-tilt is great to use on Battlefield....I find it hard to correctly use in ForGlory with all FinalDestination stages.
Not to mention that I've had sudden lag spikes cause me to miss something as simple as a dash grab in For Glory mode. Platforms are great for Pikachu, if you use them right. You want the opponent on a platform above you, but not the other way around.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
Not to mention that I've had sudden lag spikes cause me to miss something as simple as a dash grab in For Glory mode. Platforms are great for Pikachu, if you use them right. You want the opponent on a platform above you, but not the other way around.
Also for QACing and the thunder jolt circling around the platform's is just great for safe air2ground recoveries.
Oh yeah also answering CURRY's questions.
Dsmash is my most used smash because of the many hitboxes it can stop a lot of attacks and is great for edgeguarding...except for Luigi's downB (curse you Luigi!:4luigi:). I am confused about your opinion on dash attack...it is probably the BEST DASH ATTACK IN THE GAME because of the low start-up lag compared to KingDDD's and Link's :4dedede: :4link:dash attacks, and is very powerful-KO'ing at 100-150% for different characters.
LOL im not really answering your question on dash attack (tackle(?)), I just disagree on you about it on some things.

Last edited:

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Also for QACing and the thunder jolt circling around the platform's is just great for safe air2ground recoveries.
I've been practicing platform edge canceling lately and am now pretty consistent at it. It definitely can come in handy most games. Platforms also offer more room to safely land when recovering. Often times I'll recover high and skull bash til I reach near the top platform and QA onto it. As a mindgame to help you recover, you can skull bash past the top platform, then QA back over to it.

EDIT: I dunno about best dash attack in the game. Link and Yoshi have superb dash attacks.

Last edited:

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
I've been practicing platform edge canceling lately and am now pretty consistent at it. It definitely can come in handy most games. Platforms also offer more room to safely land when recovering. Often times I'll recover high and skull bash til I reach near the top platform and QA onto it. As a mindgame to help you recover, you can skull bash past the top platform, then QA back over to it.
? "...skull bash past the top platform.." From where on the stage exactly?

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah also answering CURRY's questions.
Dsmash is my most used smash because of the many hitboxes it can stop a lot of attacks and is great for edgeguarding...except for Luigi's downB (curse you Luigi!:4luigi:). I am confused about your opinion on dash attack...it is probably the BEST DASH ATTACK IN THE GAME because of the low start-up lag compared to KingDDD's and Link's :4dedede: :4link:dash attacks, and is very powerful-KO'ing at 100-150% for different characters.
LOL im not really answering your question on dash attack (tackle(?)), I just disagree on you about it on some things.
Main concern for me is that dash attack has quite some lag, and Pika isn't a very heavy character-- so it's not like we can eat punishes too well. I guess I'm staling dash attack too much, or my opponents have good DI.
Also, how do you use dsmash? By edeguarding, you mean by standing outside of your opponent's ledge attack range, right? I don't think dsmash can reach very far, so the only option you're covering with the (laggy) dsmash really is roll, which people don't use very much. Possibly normal ledge get-up. As for punishing people who hang on the ledge a second time, or are on the ledge for too long, you can't dsmash out of a dash, so you'll have to walk up--which is easily reactable with a ledge attack.
I still don't get the thing about dsmash interrupting moves , since dsmash has this tiny hitbox that's around Pika-- I feel like Pika would be the one interrupted first.

Also, a question on rushdowns and approaches. What is the difference?

Last edited:

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
Main concern for me is that dash attack has quite some lag, and Pika isn't a very heavy character-- so it's not like we can eat punishes too well. I guess I'm staling dash attack too much, or my opponents have good DI.
Also, how do you use dsmash? By edeguarding, you mean by standing outside of your opponent's ledge attack range, right? I don't think dsmash can reach very far, so the only option you're covering with the (laggy) dsmash really is roll, which people don't use very much. Possibly normal ledge get-up. As for punishing people who hang on the ledge a second time, or are on the ledge for too long, you can't dsmash out of a dash, so you'll have to walk up--which is easily reactable with a ledge attack.
I still don't get the thing about dsmash interrupting moves , since dsmash has this tiny hitbox that's around Pika-- I feel like Pika would be the one interrupted first.

I feel that rushing is more like surprising the opponent for a successful result while approaching is strategically baiting the opponent to create an opening for attack. I kind of understand from your point of view about d-smash and even dash attack. First understand how I play Pikachu :4pikachu:against non-agressive opponents.
!. Apply pressure with thunder jolt if we are both unknowing each other's playstyle
2. Skull Bash often and create fake patterns where you would normally punish with a smash attack or dash attack
3. Use thunder a lot and bair a lot
4. When your opponent is high % use a dash attack or d-smash where you would "normally" skull bash
5. (For baiting into a d-smash I actually use d-smash a lot during the battle, but at completely inappropriate times, then use it correctly when things get heated)
Agaisnt aggressive opponents:
!. Retreating thunder jolt <---a basic in Pikachu defensive play
2. Skull bash if you read when your opponent is going to roll
3. Learn to consecutively and successfully edge cancel QA
4. Approach with bars

Ok also don't completely take my advice, I am only new at Pikachu and only follow those steps in some cases xD. I feel like my only useful response was in covering my definitions of approaching and rushing.:4pikachu::4pikachu::4kirby::4greninja::4greninja:

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I'm now convinced Lylat Cruise is one of our strongest CPs. So many people hate that stage too. My God, the QAC shenanigans are abundant here due to the slopes and tilting.

Pretty much anywhere with moving platforms or slopes is QACland. Delfino is another fun stage.

Last edited:

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
So, I have seen many Pikachu's do up-tilt to reversed up-tilt and I try to do it but I fail so badly..:( I wanna know if you guys use your c-stick or not to do it

ZTD | TECHnology

Its so easy. You have more than enough time to pivot and Up Tilt with the control stick.

I think a common mistake I see while doing this is people think they have less time to Up Tilt again than they actually have. A lot of people rush the next hit and miss opportunities.

Last edited:

Emuchu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Emuchu
3DS FC
2320-6462-6471
Pika's dash attack is best suited to punishing your opponent's moves and recoveries, rather than as an approach. Its hitbox materializes almost instantly, it lingers as Pika moves, and the animation is pretty abrupt when you perform an instant dash attack, so you can very frequently just tackle people who are standing still or charging a smash or something, since it's a bit faster than most people can react to. You can even kill people with it at higher percentages, which comes up surprisingly often with Pika if your gimping game isn't spot-on and they're too dodgy to land that Usmash / Fsmash on. Its problem lies in its lengthy recovery--you really have to make sure you're going to hit with this before you try it, or you'll eat a smash from practically everyone.

TLDR; it's a highly rewarding move, but if Mario blocks it, you're going to eat an Usmash to the face and die.
You're probably thinking about "interrupting moves" as in "two hitboxes collide and then nothing happens/mine eats his", but I think @ Jay-kun Jay-kun is referring more to how fast and meaty Dsmash is. You can often roll along with an opponent and just throw this thing out--somewhere between its speed, meatiness, and its oodles of hits makes it a pain to counter properly if you're not used to them, especially if you start Dsmash early and whiff the first few hits to throw off their count. You can get away with random Dsmashing way more than anyone should in For Glory, but experienced players will eat you alive for this, so I favor Utilt, instead... and Utilt is bigger than Dsmash, too.
I'm going to give you the long version, so apologies in advance for wordiness. In fighting game terms, a rushdown refers to a situation in which you have an aggressor who, by exploiting speed or good frame data or what have you, attacks from either a frame advantage, i.e. he gets to press buttons first, or a positional advantage, i.e. Ness is under you and can PK Thunder you into oblivion. This limits the options of the defender and forces him to react to what the aggressor is doing, rather than following his own game plan. The aggressor then tries to maintain this advantage for as long as possible before returning to a neutral situation, where neither player has an advantage and you have to go to approaching.

Approaching, then, is when both players are in a neutral situation, and a player is attempting to move towards their opponent with safe or fast attacks in an attempt to get a position they find advantageous. So as far as Pikachu is concerned, he wants to approach through careful usage of TJolt, QAttack, dash-grab, dash attack, or his plentiful good aerial moves in an attempt to get close enough to employ his rushdown game, where he tries to leverage his positional advantage and frame advantage to bully his opponent and prevent them from freely acting for as long as possible.

Last edited:

Killtrox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ToFindAndBeFound
Hey folks, I'm trying to get used to Pikachu as a secondary character, but I sometimes have difficulty with recovery. It seems like maybe 1/10 of the time, the second quick-attack simply doesn't happen. As in, I'll do up, and then up-right, and instead I just fall straight down. Is this an issue for anyone else? Is it lag? Is it me?

Soul.

Hey folks, I'm trying to get used to Pikachu as a secondary character, but I sometimes have difficulty with recovery. It seems like maybe 1/10 of the time, the second quick-attack simply doesn't happen. As in, I'll do up, and then up-right, and instead I just fall straight down. Is this an issue for anyone else? Is it lag? Is it me?
Depends. If you're still having trouble recovering with Quick Attack, practice it in Training.

Caranthire

Smash Rookie
I found the frame hibox data ion the thread pika move analyse but did anybody know the FA (First Actionable Frame)
from the attacks? i think this is important
. In brawl there was a list about it but smash 4 ? can anybody help me

Btw the hitbox frames from all Spezial Moves and Faf arend there too

sry for my english hope you unterstand what i want :3

Last edited:

M15t3R E

Smash Master
How to utilize Pika's aerials?
We could go into detail about when to use each of his aerials but watching videos is the way to go. How his aerials should be used have not changed from Brawl.
I found the frame hibox data ion the thread pika move analyse but did anybody know the FA (First Actionable Frame)
This thread is stickied and should have the frame data you need. http://smashboards.com/threads/pikachu-moveset-data-wip.381156/

Last edited:

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215

Dat avi
I saw that vid of the "Thunder Pikachu"
If I were to train an amiibo I'd use these conditions
  • 7 Lvl. 9 CPUS on one team against my amiibo
  • 300% 99 Stock Matches

Soul.

I don't think there is such a thread. Maybe it will have to be made I guess.
Dat avi
I saw that vid of the "Thunder Pikachu"
If I were to train an amiibo I'd use these conditions
  • 7 Lvl. 9 CPUS on one team against my amiibo
  • 300% 99 Stock Matches
since when do you post here :troll:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
We could go into detail about when to use each of his aerials but watching videos is the way to go. How his aerials should be used have not changed from Brawl.
Oh, do you have 1 good video worth showing me then? Smashwiki's Pikachu page on Brawl says Pikachu's air game sucked back then. If it's accurate and his air game hasn't changed, does this mean Pika is secretly :4littlemac:?

Soul.

Oh, do you have 1 good video worth showing me then? Smashwiki's Pikachu page on Brawl says Pikachu's air game sucked back then. If it's accurate and his air game hasn't changed, does this mean Pika is secretly :4littlemac:?
Nah man, SmashWiki is not up to date with stuff. That's why they say the character's air game isn't good.
Pikachu's air game is good.

ZTD | TECHnology

I've got two tournaments this weekend. I aim to perform at my peak but also to learn as much as possible and to have as much fun as possible. Can't wait. It's been a while since I've been so busy with tournies.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
good luck TC. Take them to lylat lol.
I also have a tourney tomorrow. I was ranked when i played in 2010 but i am notorious for getting the tourney nerves so hopefully i can concentrate well and not choke like i used to.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
WTF! That does it! Smashwiki has failed me for the last time. I am NEVER going back to a smashwiki page. Please disregard anything Smashwiki says. It is obviously written by casual nitwits who never visit websites like the one we are on now.
Pikachu has ALWAYS had a GREAT air game.

ZTD | TECHnology

So I got 13th out of 32 today. I had the ability to place much better but the following issues plagued me:

1. I had zero expectations of my performance but that made me too complacent. I need to find the balance of not getting hung up in results but remembering to give it 100%.

2. I doubted myself. There are many people here who have had the game much longer and are more experienced in this particular game. I doubted my skills with Pikachu because he's totally different from my normal character play style. It caused me to use Ness more when in reality, I'm far more seasoned with Pikachu.

There is a tournament tomorrow also, so I'm making myself only go Pikachu so I have to play at my best. I learned a lot though so today was a great experience.

Oh a brighter note, myself, another local Pika main and Anther were teamed up for a 3 v 3 side event and we dominated it. Didn't drop a game lol. Triple Pika = win.

:4pikachu::4pikachu::4pikachu:

Top Bottom