• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu or Roy

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
I know that I'm probably going to be yelled at for having a topic like this, but I WILL back it up.

After expirimenting with all of the characters to find which one I should main, I came down to my three best, DK, Pikachu, and Roy. I would've made DK my main, but I just have too much trouble against Fast Fallers that I couldn't use him. So, that left me with Roy and Pikachu.

Here's my overall standards:

-For me, speed is power, so as long as the character isn't pathetically weak, I have no problems.
-I like good jumps and recoveries.
-More speed is good. Anyone with a speed between, let's say, Ness and Fox is good enough for me.
-My character must have a pretty good aerial game, plus at least decent aerial mobility.
-I don't care about projectiles all that much, although it might be nice to have one.
-I would want two useable special moves (not including recovery, but if Up + B is useable for something other than recovery, then that's fine with me.)
-I don't care about how they use items.
-They must have at least one good throw.

Now, facts about Pikachu:

-I've played Pikachu in SSB, so I have experience.
-I'm much better with Pikachu in the air, although there are only two attacks that I use often in the air.
-I'm not used to playing with Pikachu on the ground, although I could practice ground tactics.
-I'm only decent SHing with Pikachu while running (not used to the quick jump), but I could practice that.
-I can control the battle easily most of the time.
-I use B at times, Up B often, Side B rarely, and Down B rarely.
-I LOVE Pikachu's recovery.
-I can dodge attacks well with Pikachu (it's unimpressive to most, but I beat a level 9 Link without being hit).

Now, facts about Roy:

-Once before, I randomly picked out a few characters at random and battled a level 9 Link; Roy was my best.
-I try to use Roy on the ground more often because his Ground game IS better, but I'm always tempted to enter the aerial region.
-Against enemies who usually stay on the ground, I can control the battle easily; against opponents who are usually in the air, I can't control the situation as well.
-I can easily sweetspot the blade.
-I use B often, Up B often, Down B often (but usually fail with it), and Side B rarely.
-His recovery is okay for me.
-I can't dodge attacks well, but I can dish them out.

I know that this is a "Which Should I Main" topic, but I gave a lot of information, so I think that it should be a little easier. Which seems better suited for me?

PS: DON'T TELL ME TO USE MARTH. I have tried him, but I just can't use him as well as I can use Roy.

Smash Master
Use Pikachu. Roy needs his side-B, which you say you use rarely. Also, Roy is at the bottom of the recovery tier list.

Ryusiodo

Smash Apprentice
Both can have their advantages. Roy is probably heavier and will not get knocked back as much but Pikachu's recovery is much better. Aside from characters with horizontal based recovery(such as DK), I think Roy and Falco probably have the worst forms of recovery. If you want speed Pikachu is your best bet but Roy has a fast shffl too. Overall you should probably play against other people to see which one you like better. I would recommend Roy only because I like sword users. When I look at it from a factual point of view, I'd suggest Pikachu.

Soma

Smash Journeyman
Honestly which ever character you enjoy playing more... but, how are you having problems with fast fallers, DK can **** FFs just like they can you... so it isn't the worst match up...

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
use pikachu. roy sucks. badly. and by the way you describe you use roy "Up B often" it sounds like you're better off using pikachu.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I'd suggest picking Pikachu because his recovery is way better than Roy's. Oh and he's faster and can dodge Roy's attacks unless the Roy player is better.

CrimsonQueso

Smash Apprentice
From my experience, every noob loves to play Roy. Computers don't judge range at all and mindlessly run into his blades, and other noobies can't space or time for the life of them and get hit by his F-smash far too often.
Your three characters are all low tier and will take a large amount of training to get good with on a competitive level.
If you want to play competetively, I would go with Fox by the sound of what character you want. He has good recovery, good B moves (shine is the best b-move in the game. period. Lasers are good too), is one of the fastest characters in the game. (to play him well in beginning levels, you must spam his up-smash). His good throw is uthrow (to up air) which kills at very low percents). In terms of air game, his neutral air and up air are among the best in the game.
Otherwise, play anyone but Roy... most higher level players will think you're pretty scrub if you play him, because every noob can own their friends with Roy

Metà

Smash Master
Choose the one that sucks less. Roy really sucks; Pikachu is subpar.

Pikachu

EDIT: Just noticed you also mentioned DK. Why all the low tiers? Just use Sheik, or Peach, or someone.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Both characters are horrible. I say pick a better character than those two. Why not pick Marth? Just learn to space your attacks and go to the Marth forums for more help on him. He's way better than Pikachu and Roy. There's that, or you can play whoever you want.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
I think Roy and Falco probably have the worst forms of recovery.
I'm a falco main, and falco has a lot of recovery options. if you DI well you'll come back from a lot of ****. his up-b has 16 angles, can sweetspot, and his forward b can be shortened if needed. like i said, if you DI well you'll make it back, and if you don't make it back you probably would die anyways if you had a different character

anyways, choose pikachu and chaingrab. i'm pretty sure you can CG captain falcon starting at 0, and space animals at medium percent. roy can't really chaingreab after so much damage. plus pikachu's usmash is the strongest in the game i believe.

more reasons for pika
-uair spike
-great unpredictable recovery
-jab infinites on pokemon stadium (homefield advantage, much?)
-fsmash is hella good too
-projectile-ish

Roy is good, but i'd pick pikachu.

leefan

Smash Cadet
HAH, first time posting after my registration like, two years ago! anyways, ROY SUCKS. Pikachu seems to be a better choice, but i would personally recommend trying for a upper tier char, since you must want to improve since you signed up for these boards. Imean, if you really want to play pikachu, definitely take up adv techs, since you're a gonner without them. you can only get so far spamming down smashes and down Bs.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Here's my overall standards:

-For me, speed is power, so as long as the character isn't pathetically weak, I have no problems.
-I like good jumps and recoveries.
-More speed is good. Anyone with a speed between, let's say, Ness and Fox is good enough for me.
-My character must have a pretty good aerial game, plus at least decent aerial mobility.
-I don't care about projectiles all that much, although it might be nice to have one.
-I would want two useable special moves (not including recovery, but if Up + B is useable for something other than recovery, then that's fine with me.)
-I don't care about how they use items.
-They must have at least one good throw.
Captain Falcon fits the most with your standards. Now let's see how Pika fares:

1) Pikachu does not have a pretty good aerial game
2) You don't care about projectiles, and Pikachu's is subpar.
3) Pika rarely uses his b moves
4) Pika has ok throws but he has one of the worst grab ranges.

But yea... both Roy and Pika sucks, so play a higher tier. If you become good with a top/high tier you will be better with with your low tier characters in no time. It's easy to learn multiple chars in smash, so work on your overall skills instead of wasting time on a crap char.

EDIT: Dont say Roy's recovery is ok, he has the worst recovery of the game. And you should NEVAR think about maining Roy, I usually whip him out for the lol factor.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Pikachu has more positive match ups than Roy does.

Don't listen to people that tell you to play a higher tier.
There are great Roys and Great pikachus.

Roy only has a couple of decent matchup. Pika can hold his own with most characters if used correctly, sheiks and marths give him problems.
Roy has the worst recovery in the game though. and Pika has one of the best..
Roy has great grab range, Pika has one of the worst.
Roy has bad ground game and bad aerial game lol. Pika has good aerial game and bad ground game. I dunno what this guy is talking about pika not having good aerial game, all 5 of pika's aerials are fantastic... Pika's projectile doesn't suck either, does this guy even play pikachu? It's decent when used in the air
Roy only has one usefull killing move, f-smash. Roy doesn't build damage that well either, its generally a test to see how many fsmashes you can land. Pika has a lot of damage building capability, a great fsmash, and the best upsmash in the game.
All in all roy's not the worst character, but pika's a much better character than Roy
ignore the tier list and ignore these clowns in this forum and just play with whoever feels the best for you

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Pick both. You really can't main only one character, it's good to have a back-up. So I recommend learning Pikachu first, since you seem to have already gone farther in him then Roy, then learn Roy and adjust your character based on who you face.

Ekaru

Smash Apprentice
Start out with Pikachu. Then Mar- I mean, Roy (I have a theory on all Roy players. I won't go into that tonight...), then try out Pichu when you're bored out of your mind.

P.S. If you DO try Pichu, you better get good at shorthopping with him... >_>;

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
oh right, if i would be you i would use pikachu, because of thefact that he is simply, pikachu=.=...
U should use a lot both of them and use the character most likely for you man, that depends on how you fell with the character, dont give importance to the tier list..

Demon_machinE

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu is at least slightly non pathetic due to his speed, projectile, and especially his usmash. His CC'd downsmash has a decent ammount of range, and his upair can start some good combos and go into his down B.

Roy sucks, in every single area of the game. Play marth. You need to be a smash -god- a la Neo or Ken to play Roy in a competitive match, and even then... play marth.

Crashmania

Smash Journeyman
hold on a second, did someone says roys recovery is bad??? wtf??
good distance, both vertically and horizontally, and a really safe sweetspot. not to mention a lot of hitboxes so if anyone tries to get up in your grill they'll be stunned until your move is completely done.

Demon_machinE

Smash Journeyman
hold on a second, did someone says roys recovery is bad??? wtf??
good distance, both vertically and horizontally, and a really safe sweetspot. not to mention a lot of hitboxes so if anyone tries to get up in your grill they'll be stunned until your move is completely done.
Too bad he falls like a friggin stone, and lightshield edgehog destroys his ''lots of hitboxes''

roy phails.

RoyTheFlamboyant

Smash Journeyman
Um... if you're adamantly going to play one of these, please make it Pikachu.

Your list of pros about each characters based on the criteria you say you'd like in a character already show that you favor Pikachu (or, rather, that you should favor him). Plus, you obviously don't use Roy's side b enough, which is possibly his only saving grace. But not really, he's not a good character xD

You'll be much happier with Pika's recovery. There is a LOT you can do with his recovery, and some ridiculous edgehogging you can pull off. Plus his sort of pseudospike uair is much more reliable than ANY of Roy's.

Also, not to go with the crowd, but pick a high tier, too. Giving up Pichu for Sheik is one of the best things I ever did. :laugh:

Good luck, whatever path you choose!

Demon_machinE

Smash Journeyman
Also, not to go with the crowd, but pick a high tier, too. Giving up Pichu for Sheik is one of the best things I ever did.
Sellout. I gave up sheik for fox/falcon. Sure fox is higher on the tier list, but at least his combos aren't automatic.

Yup, im an ex sheik main who hates sheik. Bored to death while playing her, bored to death.

vargasdelman

Smash Rookie
i don't no if you've already tried but u said that u like aerial attacks and one good special move
i woudl suggest falcon
hes really fast, some really good aerials, and his side b is occasionally useful
also, his uthrow grab is useful for uair to fair combos

RoyTheFlamboyant

Smash Journeyman
Sellout. I gave up sheik for fox/falcon. Sure fox is higher on the tier list, but at least his combos aren't automatic.

Yup, im an ex sheik main who hates sheik. Bored to death while playing her, bored to death.
Haha, I really am. :laugh: Sheik was the first character I mained, played her for a good eight months or so. Got bored, picked up Pichu for about a year, switched back last week at the suggestion of like, four people on the NC power rankings. I really don't think I missed the um... ftilit-> utilt-> ftilt ->utilt, etc. aspect though.

But I still play Pichu (and my main is really crappy), come on, man. xD

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Alright. For the time I haven't been posting, this is what happened:

-I started playing Pikachu. Hated all of the range issues. Gave up on him.
-I went to Marth. I was good at first, but I just couldn't get used to top tier characters, and there was just something about him that I didn't like. Had to choose someone else.
-I went to Samus. She was pretty good, but I got bored of her quickly. Moving on...
-Ganondorf. He was awesome. I could easily take out opponents, and I could manage his speed. Only thing: I was juggled WAY too easily, and I didn't see many combos available for him.
-I went back to my old main, Young Link. However, for some reason, I'm a lot better with him now. Made him my main.

Thanks for your help. I guess.

By the way, for all of you who are telling me to try top tier, after trying them all again, these are the characters that I'm actually good with (in order of how well I play as them):

1st - Young Link/Donkey Kong
2nd - Ganondorf
3rd - Pikachu
4th - Link
5th - Yoshi
6th - Samus
7th - Marth
8th - Ness
9th - Luigi
10th - Kirby (there's a shock.)

So, yeah. Basically, I'm pretty sure that I'm better with the lower tiers. Thanks for all of your help, guys.

Anther

Smash Champion
Pick a character you like to play as... if you like them both, alternate.
Personally I think pikachu's really sweet, and he doesn't really have range issues with marth if your approach game isn't shaky.
His shield is really bad if you don't light shield most of the time, and u-air to whatever deals with a lot of range problems when people approach with aerials. Low percentage shorthopped uair to usmash to aerial works on a lot of chars to get him started, then uair after someone attacks can lead to aerials a lot of the time. Course you have some pretty unique but pretty simple uair hitboxes to get used to... and getting good at quickattacking is pretty important in my book, but that's all I have to say... some minor pika input ^^;.

DippnDots

Feral Youth

nair -> shine (unsure about this one)

dair -> shine

dair -> grab

shine -> grab (most chars)

shine -> upsmash (most chars)

grab -> uair -> uair (only one if they DI correctly?)

shine -> shine (ganon, peach, link, falcon?)

Not to mention his many tech chasing options

Am I wrong on any of these / missing some?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
nair -> shine (unsure about this one)

dair -> shine

dair -> grab

shine -> grab (most chars)

shine -> upsmash (most chars)

grab -> uair -> uair (only one if they DI correctly?)

shine -> shine (ganon, peach, link, falcon?)

Not to mention his many tech chasing options

Am I wrong on any of these / missing some?
You at least have to L-cancel, and waveshine most of those, which can easily be whiffed.

sheiks combo input is ->A, X. ->A ....KO.

that's a lot more automatic than Down-B, X, Down+Forward+L, Up+A

Not to mention almost none of those fox combos kill most characters at mid-percentages.
sheik's semi-spike kills every character without excellent recovery at very low percentages.

Top Bottom