• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu Doubles Discussion.

Hoe4u

Smash Cadet
Okay im a UK pikachu, you won't have heard about me unless if you've checked the bowser match up vids.
So last saturday me and Ixis' bowser teamed up in SmashGT brawl doubles....i've got an interesting vid to show you all cause no one seems to have teamed up with bowser before. im going to be uploading now.

Edit:
Well heres Team "Lisa is LVL45" (Ixis: Bowser and Hoe4u: Pikachu) vs a ZSS and Wolf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmQ9uhyPRjg

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Had my doubts, but I was actually pretty impressed with your teamwork! Besides some 2v1 mishaps, you and your partner worked really well together...... and you did a good job of staying out of each other's way, which can be hard with a huge teammate like Bowser.

Last KO combo made me =D!

How do you guys do on smaller stages? Like BF, Frigate, first part of CS, etc...... seems like it would be much harder to not accidentally hit Bowser on those types of stages.

Hoe4u

Smash Cadet
yeah we actually decided to team up on the day of the tournament (with 1 day training before) so we kinda had no experience at all lol

yeah we got another match against that same team on Battlefield - il upload that now kay

we also got about 7 more other matches aswell 1 of them already on my youtube account against Killerjawz (samus) and KUan (Lucario)

the others do you want me to upload them aswell?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Sure, why not? :) As many as you want, it's up to you!

It's nice to see a teammate that's not a Snake or MK or Wario or other top tier.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Watching this makes me realize...... I really need to use dsmash more in doubles. I kinda try to play doubles like I play singles with Pika, and it doesn't work as well.

Nub question: is it harder for people to SDI out of dsmash when there's 2+ people caught in it? It seems like people don't get out as early (or at all) when there's 2-3 people stuck in there.

Thought maybe it's because their hurtboxes collide and mess up their DI or something.

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if it would be harder for people to di out when there's multiple peeps stuck in it but i'm pretty sure it's the same. Dsmash is meh in doubles, two opponents means double the likelyhood of being punished.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
^ Or double the chance of hitting. =P They can still easily DI the same way. My guess would be that peeps are just taking a peek at everything going on like if the partner is nearby to punish Pika or something.

Dsmash is still not a great move but I do throw it out a lot in doubles when it's safe or to punish a roll.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Dsmash seems more beneficial in doubles than it is in singles, though..... I mean, throwing it out when it's safe is a given, lol. I wasn't suggesting spamming it or anything.

Oh well, I was just curious. I use Zeldabunz in doubles anyway. =P

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
People are more aggro in teams, thus making a GTFO move (D-smash) better. It isn't harder to SDI, but more people will run into it since it lasts longer (obviously) when you are hitting somebody. I have got kills because people tried to punish me too early at 130% and they got hit by the last hitbox. Also, assuming your partner doesn't suck, you should never really be getting double-teamed. If you are...you should see it and not use laggy attacks.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
It isn't harder to SDI, but more people will run into it since it lasts longer (obviously) when you are hitting somebody. I have got kills because people tried to punish me too early at 130% and they got hit by the last hitbox.
Yeah, I noticed that too..... maybe that's what's happening. Just seems like people don't SDI out of it well when they're in a dsmash cluster****.

While we're on the topic of good doubles moves...... which moves do you guys feel like you use more/less of in doubles compared to singles? I wanna use Pika in dubs sometimes too, but I feel like I play him too 1v1ish and don't capitalize on supporting my partner as much as I do with Zelda.

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
Well, you can get accross the stage almost instantly with QA, so I like to stay just outside my opponents' range and wait for an opportunity to hit who my teamate is fighting. You can also score some nice thunder kills if you're paying attention to your teammates' battle.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
In 2v1 situations and capitalization it is more like using weak hits to set up into things or grab comboes. You aren't gonna see hard hitting move into hard hitting move very often. It will only be like (lets use snake for an example since I have exp teaming with him) Pika D-tilt snake F-tilt to Pika F-tilt to snake grab F-throw to pika U-smash as a finisher or something. It is weak hits and grabs and putting them in check-mate situations.

Now in general I use thunder way more in doubles because my partner hits them above me a lot (Snake has u-tilt, u-smash, grenade, C4, nair, and dair). I also use nair a lot...but I do that in singles. I seem to use more grabs since people won't be spacing quite as well so we can get grab shenanigans off.

Hoe4u

Smash Cadet
Watching this makes me realize...... I really need to use dsmash more in doubles. I kinda try to play doubles like I play singles with Pika, and it doesn't work as well.

Nub question: is it harder for people to SDI out of dsmash when there's 2+ people caught in it? It seems like people don't get out as early (or at all) when there's 2-3 people stuck in there.

Thought maybe it's because their hurtboxes collide and mess up their DI or something.
Don't be fooled by my last posted team match....honestly the wolf wasnt good, i jst took advantage after i figured out he doesnt know how to DI out of dsmash

considering i've only teamed up with Ixis' Bowser i wud say my most used and efficient move wud be uair...its good for jugglin, great for clashing the oppositing team to set up for a bowser follow through and it helps me giv bowser a lift if hes out of range from the ledge with little frames

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Don't be fooled by my last posted team match....honestly the wolf wasnt good, i jst took advantage after i figured out he doesnt know how to DI out of dsmash

considering i've only teamed up with Ixis' Bowser i wud say my most used and efficient move wud be uair...its good for jugglin, great for clashing the oppositing team to set up for a bowser follow through and it helps me giv bowser a lift if hes out of range from the ledge with little frames
D-smash does hit slightly different when there are enough big hurtboxes in it. Sometimes it doesn't change much (both opponenets DI'ing out is common), but I get more 1 person pops out and 1 person pops STRAIGHT UP situations that I could hope for ^_^. In doubles, keep an open thunder mind. ^_^

PS. Slightly works against Olimar in the same way when you get a lot of pikmin and yellow ones on you as you snag Olimar into it ^_^.

While we're on the topic of good doubles moves...... which moves do you guys feel like you use more/less of in doubles compared to singles?
Oh man... sorry for the double post.... forgot i posted earlier... *Someone fix this plz ^_^... Thank yous

Since ESAM already picked most of the juicy options, I'll add somethin':

As butt-horrible skullbash sometimes is, I USE THAT FOR ATTACK in doubles sometimes (as opposed to NEVER using it at all during singles).

2 Opponents at ~55% damage, my brother causes a ruckus with bombs, boomerangs, smoke and brimstone > *see and hear rat charging* > opponents defend or jump > my bro reads and picks off the aerial opponents or tether grabs and jabs one standing on ground > 1 poor opponent gets hit by fully charged spiraling pikachu rocket > BEST ONE SHOT DEMORALIZING GIMP of all time.

It works like crazy in doubles against the snakes when my lil brother is on him (no grenades or nikida crap).

just my 2 cents.

Hoe4u

Smash Cadet
well haven't been on here for a while but got some new doubles vids to show you all. And i actually believe although he's huge Bowser is actually one of the best characters to team with pika.
He acts as a stock tank, can kill greatly from ping-balling, and great support for covering a range of space while pika recovers.

Against Marth in team... gang up on marth first and then deal with the other person, is my best advice cause he just punishes both pika and bowser. And Ixis said whenever your ready to discuss the bowser boards, he'll give you whatever you need to know cause their waiting to discuss us soon.

Hoe4u and Ixis (Lisa is LVL45) vs Warning and Jitao (Warning it's Jimmy):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-J7U12Tv2A

Hoe4u and Ixis (Lisa is LVL45) vs Mako and retroking (The business) M1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ij0eGXngoE

Hoe4u and Ixis (Lisa is LVL45) vs Mako and retroking (The business) M2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-J7U12Tv2A

neji32

Smash Lord
Falco&Pika is good I always start similar to anther&(whoever that IC was) did. Distract the opponent let Falco Cg other. Falcos lasers really help if hes good and Falco Dthrow>Thunder is good. then theres no worrying about hurting your partner with thunder(if hes up w/opponent) cause he can reflect. Falco is a overall equal average char(in terms of power speed ect.) like pika making him a good partner.
team name- ThunderBird?

Hoe4u

Smash Cadet
With Me and Ixis, if bowser is so lucky to catch both opposing ppl in boswers flames, have pikachu down tilt them back in while bowser slightly raises his flames as they try and DI away.
This gives both pikachu the room to continue continuous damage and clearly see where they are attempting to DI out (most pobably behind bowser).

best stage counter would be delfino plaza, as on the stationary stage point where theres lots of areas to grab a ledge and fall into water, bowser can consistantly cause heavy damage after landing a Down+b ledge grab , jumping uair, with such a tiny ceiling its almost garrentied an early kill, while pikachu supports with thunders and nair into this trap.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I did Falco + Pika last night, and it worked all right. The only problem was that neither of us could kill very well, even with thunder setups. :urg:

Lasers were amazing support, though, since Pika's small & quick enough to maneuver around them while they annoy the crap out of the other team.

Hoe4u

Smash Cadet
what am i thinking, no one ever seems to want to team up with bowser so is it even worth it?
it kind of seems like stratergy info is flying around that probably i would only need to rely on lol

but me and Ixis when we meet up soon where going to write the bowser match-up cause if you actually come against a pro bowser it will be bother and a half, so look forward to that people...

Top Bottom