• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu discussion

clubbadubba

Smash Master
^^sounds like you had a bad dream that you as a child convinced yourself was real life.

jk i believe you

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
its one of the few things i remember from scrubby child smash64

for a little while my friends and i considered jiggs with a grudge a real force to be reckoned with

tho she never did it again

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone give some tips on how to beat fox or kirby? I'm not fluent at comboing, neither are my friends though. I can't seem to approach either with much success. Are there any basic combos I could pull off on them at various percentages? normally i just u-tilt into u-smash and then lightning, but thats about all i can do for now. >.<

I can short hop and stuff decently, and normally approach with b-air or u-air, but kirby's u-tilt and fox's u-air seem to beat me every time.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
super secret backroom tips

Pika vs Fox
Pika vs Fox:
A difficult match for both players. Pikachu has a very easy time gimping Fox, while Fox can easily lead in to an U-Smash, meaning the Pikachu should aim to either edgeguard (priority 1) or get a combo (U-Air chain, etc) to knock them right out of the stage.

Moderate Advantage for Pika on Dreamland
Small Advantage for Pika on Congo and Peach's, probably Zebes too
Even Match (or thereabouts) for Pika on Hyrule, some say it's a small advantage to one side or the other

Stages
Good: Dreamland
Okay: Congo, Peach's, Zebes, Hyrule
Bad: None (Hyrule)

Pikachu will obviously prefer smaller stages (Congo and Dreamland) because of his edgeguarding prowess, especially against Fox, who he will essentially always edgeguard if he stands at the right place.

Strike/avoid Hyrule if possible, Fox easily outcamps any character on such a large stage and the **** tent is basically a free stock if either character gets a grab, which is bad if you're forced to approach. Do note that Pika's grab is exceptional against Fox, especially on Hyrule. Grabbing on the left side leads to a gimp, grabbing in the middle is either a techchase (low-ish percent) or forcing them towards the left hand side, and grabbing in the tent is just as, if not more lethal than Fox's grabs there. Grabbing on the far right leads to more gimps.

Approach
Pikachu should use his larger aerials to approach whilst avoiding lasers. Be very wary when you get close. Even if you have a fantastic combo chance, smacking them off the edge is often the best choice. Edgeguarding Fox is your best bet in securing an early lead. Throw towards the edge whenever possible. Some players may forgo camping and rush you for a zero-to-death, which is definitely possible once they hit you with one of his many moves, but Pikachu can easily use B-Air, U-Tilt and even well-spaced U-Smash/grabs to combat this.

Combos
U-Air chains are executed at moderate percentage. These involve using an U-Air to hit an enemy in the direction you are going, then following with more U-Airs (use your jump as you see fit) to continue the barrage. In this way, you can often U-Air Fox from the middle of the stage right to the blast lines, provided you end it with an N-Air/B-Air. You can end it with another aerial, but this is risky. U-Air chains work for both directions, no matter where Pika is facing.

U-Smash and U-Tilt will lead into U-Air chains, which will let you take Fox to the stage edges. Try not to prioritise building up percent to smash Fox to death, even though Pika's U-Smash makes this a very viable option. Instead, worry about his position relative to the edges. Sometimes low-trajectory hits such as U-Air or D-Tilt are more valuable as 'finishers' than hard-hitting moves, since you can abuse Fox's recovery more this way.

At 0%, Pika can techchase Fox a couple times with grabs, or U-Smashes if you're feeling lucky. If you do land an U-Smash you can often push Fox off the edge with U-Airs.

In the **** tent, Pika can chaingrab with U-Tilts thrown in. At a certain percentage, full hop N-Air/B-Air off the tent will bounce Fox off it whilst moving Pika onto the left edge, right in place for an U-Smash. If you're feeling lucky, a D-Tilt can be used for an extra bounce and a better chance at KOing good players, especially if they won't die immediately and can DI the Thunder. This should essentially be a guaranteed kill if done correctly.

Defense
Use Pikachu's high hitbox attacks (U-Tilt/U-Air) to keep the airspace above you under your control. Spacing with B-Air is a good idea. Don't approach Fox from above if you can help it, as Pika doesn't really have any huge downwards aerials, and all of them are beaten by U-Tilt, and some by U-Air (short-hopped or otherwise). Try not to spend ANY time in front of Fox when he is out of hitstun...Fox has too easy of a time killing Pikachu from low percents with simple combos such as Jab>U-Smash.

Recovery
Luckily, Fox hasn't a huge amount of stuff that can hassle Pika's recovery. Be wary of losing your second jump to lasers, and sweetspot if possible (Pika's landing lag isn't horrendous to be honest). Sweetspotting or landing far in the stage/on a higher platform are your options, and you should change it up depending on your opponent. If he stands right next to the edge, either risk sweetspotting or going in-stage. If he grabs the edge, go as far in as possible, etc.

It is overwhelmingly easy for Fox to run to where he predicts you'll land and B-Throw/F-Throw/D-Smash/U-Smash/insert move here. That's how fast he is. Hence, sweetspotting or going far instage are the best options.

Edgeguarding
Note that this is the ideal goal towards which you should be aiming.

If Fox is below the stage, a well-timed F-Smash will cover basically every option they have (straight up and angled into the stage). Edgehogging is a good option as well, but has to be gauged. Falling off and using N-Air is also very safe. D-Air can also be used, or B-Air/U-Air if you want a stage-spike on Dreamland/Hyrule (moderate percentages). If you are on Congo, ensure you hit them away from the stage, rather than under. There are many other options you can use, but F-Smash/fall-off N-Air or D-Air are probably the best options.

If Fox is high but close to the stage, then you can attempt to jump out and intercept him, but this is not really recommended because Fox is very maneuverable and can dodge you without effort if you guess his trajectory wrong. Rather, stay on the stage itself, and prepare yourself to react to him moving either towards you (punish with U-Tilt or aerial) or towards a higher platform (green house on Hyrule, platform on Dreamland: punish with a couple U-Airs or a B-Air/N-Air).

If Fox is falling towards the stage, chances are he will go for the edge, so cover that. Stand just next to the edge and threaten with a possible F-Smash to deter him from moving to an edge grab. Fox has only slight landing lag from Fire Fox, so be prepared to punish.

Pika vs Kirby
Pika vs Kirby:
Pika needs to aim for an edgeguard chance, because Kirby is incredibly vulnerable when he is recovering. U-Air chains are great for forcing them off. Again, other combos aren't discouraged, but finding a chance to edgeguard is definitely your first priority.

Small Advantage for Pika on all stages.

Stages:
Good: Dreamland, Congo
Okay: Hyrule, Peach's
Bad: None

Dreamland is generally best, as it is the best for gimping, though more cautious Pikachus can choose to go to another stage, as Kirby is also excellent at gimping. Kirby also has very efficient air camping on Dreamland, so you have to be proactive about preventing this.

Congo is beneficial to Pika, as Kirby's recovery is still very easy to edgeguard here and Pika is overall faster than Kirby, so he is a bit harder to edgeguard with all the options available to him.

Pikachu doesn't have any particularly dreadful stages on this matchup, as any stage strengths Kirby has aren't really enough to negate Pika's natural advantage.

Peach's Castle may also be one you would wish to avoid. Kirby is just very effective on Peach's, with plenty of platform options and easy edgeguards with D-Smash/D-Tilt on the moving platform. He isn't bothered a great deal by the bumper or side triangles, given he doesn't often KO off the top, and can garner gimp KOs easily. While Pikachu is hardly disadvantaged by the stage, any stage which offers benefits to your opponent isn't generally one you want to pick. Remember Pika has some pretty good stuff there too.

Approach
Do not rush headlong into Kirby with random dash-grabs or U-Smashes, as he is the best punisher in the game at low percents (and probably high percents as well). You hear that Kirby can sit there, spam U-Tilt mindlessly and still do okay. You have to either approach between U-Tilts or approach from the front. Since Kirby can just turn around, the first option must be practised. F-Smash clanks with U-Tilt, by the way, so don't get any silly ideas.

U-Air beats Kirby's options from basically every angle so long as it is used properly. This include U-Tilt, though keep in mind that U-Tilt is fast enough to be counted as a wall/constant hitbox, while U-Air needs to be timed.

B-Air is also an option, and will generally at least trade hits with Kirby's moves (it may outright beat them), but U-Air is generally better because it leads into other moves at a wider range of percentages.

It is safe to hit a Kirby in the air from above with (fastfall) U-Air/D-Air/N-Air because he has really, really poor hitboxes reaching above him. The only one of any note at all is Up-B, which no Kirby will be able to consistently use against a Pika without huge risk. It's really narrow anyway.

Combos
U-Air chains work at a lower percentage than they do on heavies/fastfallers. If you U-air as you near the ground, it leads into dash grabs, pivot grabs, U-Smash/pivot U-Tilt or even a pivot D-Smash (use to get edgeguarding opportunities, slightly stronger than F-Throw).

Any lead-ins to U-Tilt should be used, and followed up with an U-Air combo, B-Air or double jump Thunder (certain percentages only, and risky anyway). U-Air > dash pivot U-Tilt, F-Air > U-Tilt, aerial > U-Tilt, throw in the **** tent > U-Tilt are all possible options. Weak U-Smash can be substituted for U-Tilt, as it is weaker but leads into the same things (except Thunder). This should generally apply only if you miss the actual U-Smash.

Defense
The big threat here is U-Tilt, as getting hit instantly pushes your percentage up without reservation. Luckily, Pika can't be juggled extensively only with U-Tilt, but you still have to be careful.

Pika's own U-Tilt can often beat out Kirby's D-Air, but it has to be timed right. Immediately jump to the offensive if you land an U-Tilt.

Be very, very careful about being baited. Kirby's multiple jumps allow him to air camp you until you do an U-Tilt or jump up at him, which will allow him to drop in and D-Air/N-Air/something you. Wait it out until he lands, but if he is on a platform above you, be careful of jumping into D-Smash, U-Tilt or platform dropped aerials.

Even head-on, Kirby's N-Air and B-Air are substantial, are can even beat Pika's U-Air from the right angles. Hit them from below or above if possible.

Recovery
Kirby has big aerials that stay out for ages, and his F-Smash, D-Tilt and D-Smash on-stage are quite dangerous. That said, he is sort of slow and puffy, so as soon as you get past a Kirby who comes out to aerial you, you can retreat into the stage. If he edgehogs you, Kirby has no particularly quick way to get in-stage, so you should be okay. The focus is on avoiding those aerials.

Edgeguarding
If Kirby is low, wait and F-Smash or fall with an N-Air. Kirby won't recover low if he can help it, as these two options (or just one of the two) will shut him out very quickly. N-Air is recommended at low percents to stop Kirbies hugging the stage. This stops significant reverse ledge DI tricks. Otherwise, use F-Smash, because if he isn't hugging the stage, he can move very slightly and cause you to miss N-Air.

Most Kirbies recover high, because this is safer. If he is moderately high, you can often B-Air him. Be careful, as most Kirbies will use a jump and F-Air to maximise forward momentum. B-Air will beat it easily if spaced properly. U-Air beats it even without spacing, but it isn't as strong. If you miss your aerial, you might be able to try again with N-Air/U-Air. If Kirby somehow dodges you and gets past, aim to grab the ledge with Agility and refresh your edgehog if needed (if you're on the left edge you can use Agility again).

If Kirby is really, really high (I can't actually think of how this would happen aside from them going so far they brush the blast lines), then you can either let him return or risk using a Thunder. Thunder is incredibly punishable, especially if you jump off to use it, but is basically a KO if you land it.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
Here's the pikachu matchup against Fox:

Get a grab on Fox. Bthrow. If Fox is still on stage, go for another grab->bthrow. Otherwise, Fox is offstage and as a result will immediately kill himself because the notion of trying to get back onstage against pikachu is ridiculous.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
you forgot the part where fox is actually one hyrule-length away shooting lasers at you

in which case you just duck, or if you're in the tent you can go for the occasional taunt

Fish641

Smash Apprentice
wait so the actual guides (that would help worse players out) are in the backroom (where only good players are)?

lol.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
they were an 'ongoing' project but sadly (and predictably) nobody cared enough to contribute to pika vs ness, so we stalled, and here we are today

Fish641

Smash Apprentice
cause that's the exact type of thing that i was thinking would improve these boards. well, i was thinking the same topics (approach, combos, etc.), but more general for each character rather than matchup-based. unfortunately i'm not good/knowledgeable enough to make anything worth reading.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i think in-depth is where it's really needed, people don't need to be told 'kirby u-tilt beats basically all air approaches', they need to be told 'pika u-air can actually outspace kirby u-tilt, be careful'

The Star King

Smash Hero
wait so the actual guides (that would help worse players out) are in the backroom (where only good players are)?

lol.
Not everyone in the BR is actually a good player, so we were hoping the lesser members would learn a thing or two :troll:

Yobolight

Smash Lord
Guides like these would have been way more useful for less straightforward characters like Yoshi.

:phone:

clubbadubba

Smash Master
they were an 'ongoing' project but sadly (and predictably) nobody cared enough to contribute to pika vs ness, so we stalled, and here we are today
soooo we should unstall? Who wants to do pika vs ness?
no dibs

Community goal after apex

The Star King

Smash Hero
Good luck with that community goal. I have some pessimistic thoughts but I think I'll keep them to myself

asianaussie

Smash Hero
ness is **** and loses to pika the end

but i dont even play this game anymore so my opinion might be wrong who knows maybe ness is good if u kno how 2 use him

Battlecow

Play to Win
ness gets absolutely bodied by pika. Completely wrecked. IDK if it can even be done at remotely similar skill levels

maybe it changes at super high skill levels

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yeah SK I did not mean at your skill level lol

You didn't even get 17th at apex like awesome ME

The Star King

Smash Hero
dude I didn't even say I'm high level I'm just making the assumption that it stays terrible

can we please stop being ****s to SK

clubbadubba

Smash Master
you know what they say about making assumptions

You start doing it after you skip out on apex

The Star King

Smash Hero
Why are you salty now. I've been saying that I'm probably not going for months. And if I did go I do not contribute much to your tournament experience.

The Star King

Smash Hero
It's OK Battlecow. I'm mostly referring to clubba's passive-aggressive thing I see developing as a result of me not going to Apex.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I have to start giving you **** now so you sign up early for next year. Plus I wasn't sure if you were going or not until Friday night, and I guess I always thought deep down that you'd give in and come with me.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Trust me when I say I'm more disappointed with me not going than anyone else. If I COULD go I WOULD go without hesitation. So I don't think giving me **** will increase the chances lol

Also I think I'm nearly guaranteed to go from now on anyways (inb4 I regret saying this). Way easier when you're in college.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Yea dude, once you're in college you have like a whole month off around winter break.

It's insane. Just don't get a job, and don't go to Princeton. Princeton has a weird winter break schedule that would probably get in the way of Apex.

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
ballin did you ever get that red t-shirt you left behind? prob not cause you're in europe or something, but we found a red t-shirt of yours hung up in the bathroom.. can't remember who took it.. anyone contact you about it?

Battlecow

Play to Win
I'm on the quarter system and I had to miss school for Apex

don't go to Uchi either SK

actually totally do that would be awesome

orionandalba

Smash Rookie
How in the world do you beat kirby?? My brother plays him and I cannot beat him on hyrule at all! Help please?

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
tell him hyrule is for scrubs and force him to play DL

alternatively it's just a matter of outcamping if he's the kind of noob kirby i'm thinking he is, **** tent is your friend

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Its really tough to tell you how to beat your friend when we have no idea what skill level you and your friend are at. How do you guys play? Does he attack you a lot, or does he wait for you to attack? Are you guys rolling a lot? Is he just continuously jumping above you with kirby? It would be helpful if you gave some insight as to what part of the match-up troubles you the most. A full match-up breakdown would be too long, and if you aren't a pretty good player, would be pretty useless anyway.

That said, here are a couple of tips that should help no matter what skill level you are at:

1) Don't roll. Its too slow and kirby has too many punishing options that cover lots of ground. Instead jump and perform aerial attacks. Learn to z-cancel if you don't already know how.

2) Use LOTS of uair (up-A aerial attack AKA up air AKA uair). This move comes out quickly and has pretty good priority. Very useful if the kirby you are playing keeps trying to get above you.

3) Be very patient. Kirby at almost any skill level is an EXCELLENT defensive character. It is very difficult to attack a kirby that doesn't want to be attacked. Take your time and don't try to dive into a kirby that is waiting for you to attack.

Top Bottom