• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Plus I wouldn't want to stale my Nair for something I could easily Utilt from and follow up. I can follow up a lot of stuff after Utilt. Nair gives them more damage but resets the situation.

Frick. I'm done if you are?

Aw dang Kprime, sorry about the double post.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Yeah for some reason I was thinking landing lag from fair affected it (no sarcasm intended). And I'm not going to argue with the guy who posted Pikachu's frame data on smashboards. Ok, FF Fair can string into SHNair. It strings in to a bunch I things. But why would you do that when Utilt is a much better option. See we were all a victim of misinformation. He first said "Fair strings into Nair," what we all thought was directly after a SH fair or any kind of fair you could push A and it would hit. Specifics help. Yay we solved it, now let's talk about something else.

Angiance

Smash Lord
String means that it sets up for it not that it's 100% gonna hit; ex. U-Smash > Thunder, Thunder CAN hit, but it's not 100% (it takes reading of your opponent's movements), so it's considered a string

F-Air > U-Tilt is risky since Pika has to stand still; if U-Tilt hits shield it's very punishable

Try FF F-Air > FH U-Air

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Fair nair works at %s like 120-130%, but before that your opponent can DI up and jump out since double jumps come out on frame 1. Fair doesn't combo or string very well until high %s which is why I normally just use it as a spacing tool or I'll use it to the moves completion. I fall a lot more with dair than fair (On dat #YOLO strat)

Standard landing lag is 2 frames, btw, unless you are FFing or air dodging, in which case it is 4 (Called soft and hard landings, respectively) which is why it is easier to punish somebody landing with an airdodge as opposed to somebody just landing. You would be surprised how much 2 frames make considering our charge release on F-smash comes out in 1 or 2 (Don't remember).

Also, y'all can argue amongst yourselves, just don't argue with me about MUs that I understand. You can argue with me about Peach/Olimar like it's your job since I don't actually know them too well....just don't talk about MK/Snake/ZSS lol

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Yeah I said about. I wasn't clear :/ But yeah like I said before, falling Fair is great for stringing stuff if your opponent doesn't know what to do about it. If you're fighting someone who is familiar with the MU then they'll see through it. When playing new people I use it sparingly to see what my opponent will do about it. But FF Fair>Utilt is a fantastic way to start Uair shenanigans. Yeah ESAM I do see you using Dair more. The only time I've seen hard precise punishments on Dair was when a CPU shield grabbed it since they play the game in like matrix bullet time and see things like frame by frame. I turned off the game when a CPU power shielded each hot of a 3 piece jab.

Getting back on topic, Dair punishes? In mean I use it so sparingly no one really has fast enough reaction to punish it.

Angiance

Smash Lord
CPUs act on each and every button input made (Ex. Ice Climber; Nana, except instantaneous,) fluctuating from weak to pin-point accurate in terms of difficulty. SH D-Air is very good since Chu starts out curled into a ball, allowing him to avoid things before the hitbox emerges; SH D-Air is good at catching people out of the air; it'll eat through certain projectile approaches/defenses and hit the opponent (Olimar)

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
And you know this how? Was it from playing computers? Have you actually tested that Dair will eat through projectiles? Did you know that most projectiles are transcendent like Falco's lasers? Have you fought an Olimar and been able to eat through his Pikmin with a Dair everytime? Wouldn't a purple just plow right through? Is this just conning out of your ass or is it comming from experience?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Lol dude don't get so damn critical of her, give her the BOTD unless you know better. She was specifically talking about olimar and dair will eat through pikmin besides purple and yellow. HOWEVER, it will not punish him since he has practically no lag afterwards.

Oh, and BTW, most projectiles AREN'T transcendent, lasers are pretty much the only one. It's why you can ping with things such as samus's beam and lucario's aura sphere (Assuming you have a strong enough move)

TL;DR don't be such a **** just because I went off on someone. I'm allowed to lol

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
I was asking you in the first place anyway. Exuuuuuse me if I want to trust your answer over his! I will let you do the going off All Mighty ESAM-Sama loooooool.

(You're more like ESAM-Senpai) but for real though, I was asking ESAM.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Still, if you are "waiting for me" just don't post, ESPECIALLY not in a berating manner. Nobody really has that privilege in this community, and if there is going to be ANYBODY to be able to berate something or argue with people it's me. Don't be so aggressive or else consequences will start occurring.

kekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekeke

Angiance

Smash Lord
Lol dude don't get so damn critical of her, give her the BOTD unless you know better. She was specifically talking about olimar and dair will eat through pikmin besides purple and yellow. HOWEVER, it will not punish him since he has practically no lag afterwards.

Dude, I'm a dude -_-;

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
But, but! I thought you would answer our every question and cater to our every whim???! Looool. And again, Exuuuuuse me almighty ESAM-Sama for questioning thine authoritah. Bfrt you and a few other smashers like Keitaro I do really respect. I'm not going to suck your **** but I love this game and recognize a fantastic player when I see one; ESAM-Senpai (If you don't know Japanese honorifics, Senpai means superior in the same field besides military) In other crap: Are you going to WHOBO this year? I'm ready for some new Pika matches to study (yeah yeah SKTAR 2 is right around the corner I know)

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
For some reason I thought you were a girl lol, there are definitely a few of those running around these parts. My apologies~

WHOBO is iffy for me because if there are tests the week after I can't go. Also, you think Keitaro is a great player? Lol

Angiance

Smash Lord
It's cool man, everybody thinks i'm a girl for some reason-even though clicking the profile picture shows all info, including gender.

Can Mach Tornado be boost pivot grabbed? Also, what is it about U-Air's hit-box that allows it to hit through so many moves? I mean, It's like a game defining move at this point.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Smasher!!! Lol. On a scale of DEHF-4 he's like 2. He did really good at Crossfire 2. But I respect him mostly for his dedication to the community. National Big dogs like ANTi and local big dogs like JNig and Gunner. I may be 18 but I still got to respect the players who have been doing this way longer than me and who play way better than I do. Dang, well if you can that would be sweet. You and Ally put on a good show at WHOBO.

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
My bad on the jump N-air being slower than U-tilt, I was definitely wrong. Learn something new everyday!

And I'm relatively new here, so I didn't know that Pikabunz was K-Prime, hence me calling him bunz. My bad prime

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
I know its well known that Pikachu is very adapt at vertical versing and very punishing in aerial combat.

However I'm slightly at loss at how to abuse that and work Pikachu's aerials to the fullest. Any tips?

Angiance

Smash Lord
I know its well known that Pikachu is very adapt at vertical versing and very punishing in aerial combat.

However I'm slightly at loss at how to abuse that and work Pikachu's aerials to the fullest. Any tips?
Pikachu's best aerial is U-Air; the part of U-Air to space with is above Pikachu and on the tip of his tail, while the part to combo with is behind Pikachu on the inside of his tail

F-Air is used more to chase an evasive opponent

Opponent's trying to edge-hog Pikachu can be hit with Air Jump B-Air (Chu's back towards the opponent)

Pikachu from one of the upper corners of the screen should be shooting aimed Air Jolts, so as to control the air

D-Air fast-falled can get Chu down from high places; Slow-falled D-Air is more for keeping pressure up

N-Air is used after U-Air, D-Air, or F-Air has caused them to drop their defense; it'll miss and leave Pikachu vulnerable elsewise

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
Pikachu's best aerial is U-Air; the part of U-Air to space with is above Pikachu and on the tip of his tail, while the part to combo with is behind Pikachu on the inside of his tail

F-Air is used more to chase an evasive opponent

Opponent's trying to edge-hog Pikachu can be hit with Air Jump B-Air (Chu's back towards the opponent)

Pikachu from one of the upper corners of the screen should be shooting aimed Air Jolts, so as to control the air

D-Air fast-falled can get Chu down from high places; Slow-falled D-Air is more for keeping pressure up

N-Air is used when the opponent is open, after U-Air, D-Air, or F-Air has caused them to drop their defense; it'll miss and leave Pikachu vulnerable elsewise
Thank you for the reply.

So based on your advice, n-air should only be used after an opening is made from another aerial. Would that be its only practical function? Cuz I occasionally use running SH n-air as a mixup or aerial hard knock-back n-air as an edge-guarding tool. Are those practical uses?

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
N-air out of shield is one of our best punishing options, so it's definitely not exclusively used only after landing another aerial.

Also dash N-air after a D-throw is also another staple in our game to rack damage.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Basically, don't use N-Air on it's own, always use it after something; whether it be after someone struck your shield, or after D-Throw, never use it on it's own unless it's 100% gonna hit

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Nair on it's own is pretty godlike. It's a fast aerial that hits everywhere on your body as opposed to uair which starts behind you. It is more frequently used in strings, but it is also a great stand alone move and punish move, as Holden pointed out.

Fair is a great move to use on the ledge when trying to get back on because it has the ability to shield poke quite well. Dair is really good for sidestep baiting and it combos into dash grab at mid-low%. Bair is really good when trying to cover a large horizontal area of a platform or when you are trying to knock somebody off of a platform and continue to hit them (better than fair since bair's hitbox is bigger). Uair is gdlk in most situations when the opponent is behind you as after like 20% it combos into nair, footstool, another uair, or pretty much any other aerial sans dair.

Angiance

Smash Lord
N-Air's hit-box is marble sized, it's better used after something, ESAM; N-Air used completely on it's own is so easily avoidable, and missing with it leaves Chu very vulnerable since he's stuck in it's animation

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I never disagreed with that. However, when people who are unfamiliar with application of moves see "Basically, don't use N-Air on it's own" they won't be using it as a move itself. It is a great follow-up and punish move, but it is also great as a stand-alone move in general. I know that I personally use it a lot in BOTH situations, so please don't use such language to askers such as "don't use" or "Never use" because that's just wrong. Hyperbole isn't good when answering questions.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
One last thing. When sent flying from a kill move dose Skull Bash work as an effective momentum canceler? I ask this because I think I read somewhere that it has a possibility of killing you if you use it at the wrong time.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Yes, FF U-Air > Skullbash keeps Pikachu from getting KO'd for high percents; Getting KO'd from Skull-bash, it's very, very rarely gonna happen

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Skullbash breaks horizontal momentum but gives you a little boost of vertical momentum. If you are in the corner the skull bash may kill you because it will push you up into the blastzone. However, if you aren't near the corner at all and get sent to the left/right, skull bash away (Uair is always the best momentum cancel)

Oh, and to clarify, momentum cancelling doesn't have to be the fastest move in general. The minute you input your move you are in more control of your character. The only thing that doing the faster move does is allow you to do something AFTER the move is done which can help you reduce knockback, such as jumping or skull bashing.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Skullbash breaks horizontal momentum but gives you a little boost of vertical momentum. If you are in the corner the skull bash may kill you because it will push you up into the blastzone. However, if you aren't near the corner at all and get sent to the left/right, skull bash away (Uair is always the best momentum cancel)

Oh, and to clarify, momentum cancelling doesn't have to be the fastest move in general. The minute you input your move you are in more control of your character. The only thing that doing the faster move does is allow you to do something AFTER the move is done which can help you reduce knockback, such as jumping or skull bashing.
I've seen you B-Air after getting hit with a vertical KO move; does B-Air work better for vertical knock-back, since Chu flattens his body out?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I don't think it does anything, I just do it for fun. Makes me feel better when I live.

Prime, does it do anything?

Player -0

Smash Hero
In my experience B-air cancels upwards momentum pretty well as one time I had been sent up at a fairly quick speed and B-aired and almost completely stopped moving upwards. Granted it wasn't like an Up Smash from Ike at 70% or something. My theory is that the game takes priority of Pikachu's horizontal movement over the upwards momentum from the launcher move (Yeah that doesn't make sense), just wait for somebody that knows I guess?

Angiance

Smash Lord
Anyway, do you guys have tips for becoming quicker for moving in and around an opponent? I have trouble with movement, should I do something specific or just practice with it?
FH T-Jolt, then follow it = Chu's main approach

D-Tilt > Shield = Spacing technique

Shield = One of Chu's main weapons, due to his strong OoS play

Boost Pivot Grab = A more safe form of grabbing, practice it

Without jumping, air-dodge down from a platform into shield if the opponent is around

U-Air is Chu's main aerial; Retreat SH U-Air, FH U-Air, U-Air through platforms, etc.

Practice makes perfect, bro ^-^

Player -0

Smash Hero
FH T-Jolt, then follow it = Chu's main approach

D-Tilt > Shield = Spacing technique

Shield = One of Chu's main weapons, due to his strong OoS play

Boost Pivot Grab = A more safe form of grabbing, practice it

Without jumping, air-dodge down from a platform into shield if the opponent is around

U-Air is Chu's main aerial; Retreat SH U-Air, FH U-Air, U-Air through platforms, etc.

Practice makes perfect, bro ^-^
I meant for moving around, based stuff, although I'll have to look into Boost Pivot Grabbing a bit.
and how far does Pika's Down Tilt to SH Nair make him go if used correctly? I can't get it to go that far, Just curious.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
Is fthrow>usmash guaranteed on Metaknight and other characters at low percents? I thought it was and it's usually worked for me in the past but today I played someone who was able to avoid all of them, so I'm not sure if it was because I wasn't inputting it right or if he just knew how to get out of it.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Is fthrow>usmash guaranteed on Metaknight and other characters at low percents? I thought it was and it's usually worked for me in the past but today I played someone who was able to avoid all of them, so I'm not sure if it was because I wasn't inputting it right or if he just knew how to get out of it.
It's not a 100% hit chance on some characters

Top Bottom