• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but how do I dthrow cg falco past 70 percent? I think I'm doing everything right. With every move fresh, I fthrow cg falco to 20% then switch to dthrow cging. I'm pretty sure that is how I read it is supposed to be set up. I even went into training mode and slowed the timing down to 1/4th the speed to ensure I buffered a grab right as pika was falling back to the ground after doing the body slam. When I do this, it doesn't seem like I'm having trouble grabbing, it seems like I always get the buffered grab off. The problem rather lies in the fact that at about 70%, the cpu falco can jump and airdodge out of the dthrow. So, any suggestions?
It's because you have to let dthrow stale and moves don't stale in training mode, so practice in regular Brawl. Also, make sure not to pummel in between dthrows, pummeling will refresh your dthrow making the cg not last as long.
I'm suddenly all interested in frame data. One more question. When someone is locked how many frames do you have after each hit to continue the lock say with qac and if it's different like for hitlag then jab too.
I dunno how many frames exactly, but it's just enough time to switch from a QAL to a jab lock or jab lock to QAL.

She does, its just super punishable on shield.:c

:phone:
But it's Ganon.

Frio

Smash Champion
If I d-throw cg snake perfectly will he be able to use a grenade to escape? And is the timing for the cg different at the edge, when I get to the edge i cant d-throw because i'm in the tippy toe animation =/

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Yes, Snake can escape using grenades even if you do the cg perfectly. It's kinda random on when his grenades will come out though. The only known way to cg Snake without him pulling any grenades is to grab him at 0% and fthrow him 3 times then you can dthrow cg. Also, the fthrow and dthrow must be fresh when you start!

When you grab someone on the edge, you can't buffer anything for that first throw because the tippy toe animation cancels the buffers. Although, for that first dthrow, they pop-up lower making it easy to re-grab them.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Right Roller. However, you can time your regrab at the edge if you practice it a little. But because the fact that he is lower, the grenade will pop out lower since he WILL be able to get one. Now...if you D-throw immediately after you get that regrab, the grenade will explode from our D-throw, so you have to wait a little, and then do it so that the grenade doesn't interrupt the CG. Sound good?

@Prime: Really? Just 3 F-throws and D-throw and he can't nade? That's awesome :D

dengel

Smash Cadet
What is it that makes Pikachu so much better than Falco to give Pika a +3 advantage against him on the match-up chart?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Pretty much.

We have a 0-100% CG, we can edgeguard Falco relatively well compared to most of the cast, and he doesn't have effective approaches. We can duck under every laser besides the ones that Falco runs off the stage and DJs back on, but that is easily shieldable.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Why would it be different if the damage is from fthrow or not?
Because you need to be at an exact decimal percent for it to work. Three fthrows does 27.6% and that's the percent you need to be on for the cg to work. If you try doing the cg at 27.5% or 27.7% it may not work. The thing is, there's no way to see a decimal percent. So unless you're keeping track of the damage yourself, there's no way to know if your dthrow cg is gonna work or not.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
It's tripping. I'm pretty sure it's just a random chance of it happening. Though it might be a higher chance at the end, but Idk for sure.
i dunno, me and esam seem to get jab trips and combo out of it fairly often so i am inclined to believe that there is a higher chance at some point, though some people say its the same throughout

JRDD

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm a very new pikachu and also very new to brawl. I was wondering how do you angle his ftilt up, middle, or down?

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
When you tilt your control stick to do the move, angling it up-left, straight left, or down-left will determine which ftilt you get. Just takes practice.

JRDD

Smash Rookie
Thanks!

Is it hard to do another QA out of QAC because it seems like you don't have much time before you hit the ground and get lag.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Ehh~ it's not really that hard. Again, it just takes practice. Eventually, once muscle memory sets in, all these techs become much easier. :)

Roller

Smash Legend
Also, I always buffer jump before doing another QA. It basically does nothing, and makes sure you either do the slightest jump before QAing (barely off the ground) or you miss the buffer window and you just QA normally. win-win. This works for Quick attack locking as well.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
Also, I always buffer jump before doing another QA. It basically does nothing, and makes sure you either do the slightest jump before QAing (barely off the ground) or you miss the buffer window and you just QA normally. win-win. This works for Quick attack locking as well.
thissssssssss. early on i started doing this and realised how amazingly easy it makes QAC and QAL. since then ive realised i dont need it anymore and can do it without jump perfectly but its still a good assist tool

JRDD

Smash Rookie
Thanks kaylo.

If i am using wii remote and nunchuk is it ok or should i switch to gc now so i dont have to relearn anything? Seems like a wiimote is a big hassle at a tournament...

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Most people (and by most, I mean damn near everyone) use the GC controller and consider it "standard". But there're a few people here and there who use the Wiimote. /shrug

Roller

Smash Legend
JRDD, if you want to get really competitive and start beating decent players, I highly recommend using either the GC controller, or the classic pro controller. (Mostly recommend GC though). Pressing a button will always be easier/faster/more responsive than shaking a controller around. The fact that the GC is wired and isn't subject to wireless delay/interference is only more of a bonus.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
The wiimote/nunchuck has more buttons though. Honestly, go with what you are more comfortable with, as it really doesn't make a difference.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Yeah, use whatever you're most comfortable with. Razer uses the wiichuck and he's one of the best players in the nation. There's no delay with the wiichuck either.

Top Bottom