• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Don't forget to fastfall the uair (whether you're hit horizontally or vertically).

Skull Bash is the momentum killer you use after uair, like ESAM said. Some people -- like me -- use it only when they're hit horizontally; others use it to kill momentum from vertical hits as well despite the fact that it gives you a slight vertical boost.

I'm not sure whether it's necessary for vertical hits, but regardless, once Skull Bash goes off, it's highly unlikely that you'll die..... it's a crazy good momentum stopper.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
why is there a locked thread called spoiler with Kaylo going *facepalm*?
Someone spammed, I locked it, then I guess another mod deleted the OP, lol. I'll probably move it to the trash forum at some point.

Koala

Smash Cadet
When recovering, obivously up + b works very well and is one of the best recoveries in the game, but is there any time when it is necessary to use over + b to help you get back to the stage? Maybe just to change up your recovery pattern so that you don't get too predictable?

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Well, I usually use it when sent almost to the upper-side corners of the blast zone. I charge it up, and either aim for the ledge (usually), or straight onto the stage (when my opponent tries for a ledgehog)

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
It works on everybody. THe can escape by SDI-ing the hits, and it will get them to the ledge faster. It also makes it harder for the pikachu to continue. However, at higher %, pikachu can also jab lock them. Once they get near an edge, pikachu can QA through them and jab them the other way.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Lol i did quit yoshi, its just something that like 5 players from Florida have so i am doing it lol.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
When recovering, obivously up + b works very well and is one of the best recoveries in the game, but is there any time when it is necessary to use over + b to help you get back to the stage? Maybe just to change up your recovery pattern so that you don't get too predictable?
It's rarely ever necessary unless you're way far out on a large stage, but sometimes I'll aim for just a tiny bit above the ledge: you'll hit them if they're too close (which they probably won't expect), but you'll also snap to the ledge right afterwards.

I also use it to recover super high out of reach sometimes so I can drift down and QAC back to the stage out of my opponent's reach -- without having to go through them. In general, though, Skull Bash should be used sparingly.

@Gallax/ESAM: stay on topic please. <3

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
My favorite Pika tactic while recovering and IN FACT the reason I play Pika is that Stealth showed me this bad*** thing where you QAC into the stage, jump and B reverse a thunderjolt. It just looks SO bad***. So yeah. I like to SideB to get placed above the stage and then proceed with QAC shenanigans.

Sorry Kaylo. I didn't dodge the censor on purpose. Does color text negate it?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Sorry Kaylo. I didn't dodge the censor on purpose. Does color text negate it?
It's all good, Terios, I figured it was an accident.... just a warning, no points or anything. <3 For some reason, even tho *** gets censored, bad*** doesn't. :ohwell: You just have to double-check when you make a post.

Also, I agree: QAC > reverse tjolt is sexy. And, barring projectiles, it's unpunishable as long as you're outside of their melee range.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Man. That's SO dumb. And I curse ALOT. I depend on that censor. T_T

The first time I saw Stealth do it I was like BULL CRAP. He made Pika look really technical. Well for Brawl anyway.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
lol thank you terios, i didnt know you liked it so much. i actually got it from anther from his waaaay early days. people are catching on to me using it, so i am doing more ledge shenanigans now, again stuff ive picked up from anther. did you know you can ledge hop a fair, then land with a nair right as the hitbox appears? very powerful, and the fair will have if frames.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
You didn't? It was right after we played for the Sonic Pika matchup discussion. I was sure I commented on it. And then I started going to the Pika chat. lol

By ledgehop a fair do you mean jump from the edge or drop and jump with a rising fair?

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
drop/jump. and it has been awhile since we first played, i dont have much of a memory. but yeah i got it from anther. i get most of my stuff from anther :x which is why i get a ton of people who say i play like him lol

IxxI

Smash Fence
When you do anything out of a FF fair.
Do you full hop to auto cancel, or do you short hop since it only has very little lag.

For instance, a FF fair > utilt

gallax

Smash Hero
truthfully it doesnt matter to me as long as it lands behind the opponent. if i see that they are shielding i try to FH it and then shield if im playing a marth or snake or spotdodge if i think im gonna get grabbed. i SH it when im sure that the opponent is going to get hit, still land behind though. i also sometimes FH it so that when i land i immediately jump and pikastorm it or uair it. if they are at a high percent i nair and hope for a kill.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
even if you dont land behind them, its still good to short hop if you are sure youre going to connect with it, and also hit the ground, like gallax said. that way the stun from the shocks will be enough for a grab or a dtilt or something (usually), but yeah shielding afterward works too, so does dodging, and if you shield or dodge after the baited grab or shield from them, you can nair oos or grab too :)

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I was playing a Lucario earlier and he SDIed up during the Fair and naired me before anything could come out. Made me sad.
lucario and samus can both do it. i should know i play both LOL. pikachu can do it too if you have strong enough sdi.
Any floaty character can do it pretty easily.... Lucario, Samus, Zelda, Jiggs.... and it gets progressively harder the faster your character falls/the heavier they are.

Koala

Smash Cadet
Question with the Diddy Kong Matchup.

Now I know this would be situational but it could possibly work well and I didn't find it in the actual character matchup thread that we have.

If you happen to get control of one of Diddy's bananas and hit him with it, during the trip animation would it be possible to get him into a quick attack lock?

Diddy would be on his back because of the trip animation from the Diddy and I think that is how it is supposed to begin, or at least it is according to this video that I watched.

Comments? I am sure people have talked about this already.

Koala

Smash Cadet
And you would have to be in the correct length to do it which is why it would be very situational.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Koala, please use the Edit feature if you have something to add to one of your posts.... so you can avoid infractions for double posting.

Thanks. :)

Top Bottom