• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Picking up Shiek. Vids. Critique please.

LEEEOOOOO

Smash Rookie
Not sure if you're using needles (you weren't in the one video I watched) and you don't really run much lol. Use short hopped needles on Fox's recovery and jump off and hit them with fair. Grab, etc.

For falcon, keep throwing off the stage and keep them off (same logic applies for space animals). Down smash is a good edge guarding move for this purpose. So are your needles. Abuse them. At certain damages down tilt at the edge into a fair, unless they sweetspot. Falcon has lag time after his recovery unlike fox so take advantage of that (i.e. wavedash onto the edge, let him land on the stage, and ledge-hopped fair or n-air.)

edit -- should also add that dash attack is a good approach if you make sure you dash past them thus avoiding the shield grab (if not you will get pwned) and a dash attack will set up for a nice fair at particularly low damages w/ spacies

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
People REALLY need to stop only watching 1 video. Seriously. You can't get an accurate grasp of a player's style or skill through a single game.

Anyways, I've improved significantly since these vids. I'll add moar later when I'm not feeling so lazy.

LEEEOOOOO

Smash Rookie
That was probably an indirect response to my post. Even if it wasn't, it's pretty ****ing stupid to expect people to sit themselves down in front of a computer watching you play over and over for more than a few minutes. Heck, you should be happy that I took the time to watch even one.

And I'd like to argue that you can get an accurate grasp of a player's style/skill through a single game. From a single video you know immediately what a said player is capable of and pick up his or her habits. Unless I just happened to watch a video where you didn't needle spam at all or do anything I had mentioned above, chances are the aforementioned advice and techniques I had given you are not habits of yours. In fact, every good Sheik (From Drephen to Captain Jack to M2K) I've seen has made annoyingly persistent use of needles (and others I have mentioned above), something I did not see in one of your videos and will not assume was in your other ones.

In any case, no hard feelings. I would have hoped a little gratitude would be shown for some solid advice coming from someone who has been playing Sheik competitively for years. Keep practicing. Sheik's an easy character to play decently well. (Past that your improvement will be marginal no matter how much you practice)

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I made this argument before; You Shiek players are really lazy. I've got easily triple, or quadruple the amount of videos in each of the space animal threads, and the more active posters have probably seen more than half.

Trust me, as you watch the videos, you'll notice my play style change when I begin to gain a better grasp of my character, and a better grasp against my opponents.

I don't needle nearly as much as the aforementioned players, because I just don't see the need for it, or even openings for it. Probably has to do with how I play Sheik.

I'll be more greatful, if you watch more than one **** video. That's just lazy on your part, seriously.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
And I'd like to argue that you can get an accurate grasp of a player's style/skill through a single game. From a single video you know immediately what a said player is capable of and pick up his or her habits. Unless I just happened to watch a video where you didn't needle spam at all or do anything I had mentioned above, chances are the aforementioned advice and techniques I had given you are not habits of yours. In fact, every good Sheik (From Drephen to Captain Jack to M2K) I've seen has made annoyingly persistent use of needles (and others I have mentioned above), something I did not see in one of your videos and will not assume was in your other ones.
That ain't Falco. Needles aren't as essential as water.

LEEEOOOOO

Smash Rookie
Here's some more critique.

Vary your throws some more. Don't just use down throw. Up throw into up tilt works wonders against Fox/Falco (uptilt in itself works wonders against spacies). Fthrow and backthrow and tech chase is nice too.

Forward tilt as an approach isn't always the best idea. Don't use it so much.

Use your nair more.

Use down tilt.

Use needles. In this video, at 2:39, Fox would be dead had you jumped and shot needles you previously charged. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSfbQFGwIIg On a similar note, use downsmash instead of fair in that situation.

Top Bottom