• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Phantasm Canceling

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
I am not claiming i discovered this, i just want discussion on it.

Ok so i havent seen any threads about this, and the guides don't go much into this.

This is probably Falcos hardest technique. Its pressing B right before you phantasm across you shorten your phantasm distance. You can either cancel it so distance is halved, and you slide a bit, or you can cancel it so the distance is barely anywhere (like right infront of you), which is a great mindgame.

However i have a very hard time doing this. i can only do it once every 6 times i attempt it.

Is there any special trick to doing this? Do you just mash the B button? Whats the precise moment to tap b?
This would be an awesome mindgame if mastered.

Post your thoughts and strategies to this technique.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Yeah, the only time I pull this off is by accident... Either the input command is faulty or I'm just terrible at it. Probably the latter.

I'm not sure if it would make such a great mindgame. The thing about that attack is that people usually don't see it coming anyway. Phantasm cancelling just sorta leaves you vulnerable...

J4pu

Smash Champion
Tis easy once you have the timing down, I can consistently do 5 phantasms across FD before I fly off the edge.

And no, spamming B is not the best method. The last time I was messing around with this I noticed that when you cancel it at it's shortest length you don't hear the "pinging" sound the phantasm normally makes, but when you cancel it at the next length you can hear it. so for starters try timing your button press for when you first hear that sound.

I believe it was already looked into and the phantasm can be canceled at 3 different lengths: the really short one (almost nowhere), about 1/2 length, and about 3/4 length.

I'm not saying that data is correct for sure but I read it in another thread and it seems pretty correct to me. By canceling a phantasm in the air you get forward momentum coming out of it as opposed to the normal falling straight down with little or no horizontal control. So the best horizontal recovery falco has is a (3/4) canceled phantasm.

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
I have big troubles doing this =\

I try to press b right when the ping sound would be (trying to do shortest cancel)

I mean its not really THAT usefull, we can call it mindgames or whatever but lets be honest, we just want to impress people by doing it.

Spudnick

Smash Apprentice
It seems like this became much harder to pull off in brawl, and I cant seem to get the hang of it. After practicing it for ~20 minutes I still haven't been able to find a certain point at which to press B again. Can anybody try to explain when exactly you should push b?

ixdnL

Smash Journeyman
It is difficult to learn, but once you get the hang of it, it isn't all too terrible. But timing the different distances of the phantasm still eludes me.

Yeah, the only time I pull this off is by accident... Either the input command is faulty or I'm just terrible at it. Probably the latter.

I'm not sure if it would make such a great mindgame. The thing about that attack is that people usually don't see it coming anyway. Phantasm cancelling just sorta leaves you vulnerable...
I have to disagree. It works wonders for mindgames. Let's say you need to recover horizontally on FD. The opponent usually expects you to phantasm onto the middle of FD and waits there ready to smash away. Now with the canceled phantasm, you either grab the ledge or land near the edge of FD.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
The timing for the shortest phantasm is VERY awkward, I found. thats why i do it accidentaly

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
If you knew anything about Wolfs Icanceling you'd knew what I mean - Phantasm canceling is too hard to be made use of imo

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Why do people always start these threads with the "I am not claiming I found this." bull****?

Seriously, no one cares.

Rimmer

Smash Rookie
I once accidentally saved myself from phantasmciding with a failed SHDL. Makes me think the timing is somewhat similar to a SHDL.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Why do people always start these threads with the "I am not claiming I found this." bull****?

Seriously, no one cares.
Do you know how much flame i would get if i started with "i just recently discovered a technique and i call it phantasm canceling"? obviously your half ***** mind never thought of it that way

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
Well I think everyone on this board should know you can cancel the phantasm thats why he probably said that, but I can also see where OP is coming from because some idiot with their head 4 feet up there *** would have said ZOMG it was discovered by me...

moving on.

I find the 1/2 or 3/4 canceling or whatever it is ( the not really short one ) to be actually pretty easy to do, I got it in like 10 min of practicing, just hit it IMMEDIATLY(important) after the ping. Gives you more momentum for recoveries so its worth it a lot of times.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Do you know how much flame i would get if i started with "i just recently discovered a technique and i call it phantasm canceling"? obviously your half ***** mind never thought of it that way
Yeah, you see, thing is, you don't HAVE to start it with that.

WHAT A REVELATION!

Esoteric

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, you see, thing is, you don't HAVE to start it with that.

WHAT A REVELATION!
Yet he did, does it really bother you that much?

Anyway, I was playing WiFi last night and did the really short cancel twice in a row in the waiting room and then couldn't do it again. I think I just got lucky though. :|

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
Something ive noticed if your having trouble, try hitting it later then sooner, usually the problem for me.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Here's the timing: Expect the pinging sound then press it immediately after for the long canceled one or know when the ping comes and press it immediately before it for the short canceled one.

Top Bottom