• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PGD4: I changed the title.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
My region had customs for a time, and it was riddled with mixed opinions. Personally I liked them intially because it gave ganon recovery, which he needed so badly.

What I found from personal expereince though is that there are many more customs that simply outweigh others and make the meta very frustrating (trip sappling, custom shulk counter/hyper manado arts, the hammer for sonic). If there was a way to make customs with a universal ban list that would in theory be ideal, but I think as of now regions are choosing what they want to do, and some are choosing to keep them away for now to assuage the populace's desires

Then again, half of the things I say about this is mere conjecture and could use more input. I swear that much of the debate on customs is mere amphigory rather than useful information.

Last edited:

Uncle Honey

Smash Apprentice
My region had customs for a time, and it was riddled with mixed opinions. Personally I liked them intially because it gave ganon recovery, which he needed so badly.

What I found from personal expereince though is that there are many more customs that simply outweigh others and make the meta very frustrating (trip sappling, custom shulk counter/hyper manado arts, the hammer for sonic). If there was a way to make customs with a universal ban list that would in theory be ideal, but I think as of now regions are choosing what they want to do, and some are choosing to keep them away for now

Then again, half of the things I say about this is mere conjecture and could use more input. I swear that much of the debate on customs is mere amphigory rather than useful information.
I feel like we would be using customs 100% right now if they were even slightly easier for TOs to plan around.

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
Customs are largely good, but you have some bad eggs that ruin it for everyone I.e hammer spindash, and villagers customs. Default is just easier to plan, play, and organize. Outside of some special event I see no reason to use them.

Also banning some is just more work nobody wants to do so...

Last edited:

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
I believe that the main issue with customs is simply the fact that it is difficult to make a universal moveset that all TO's can agree upon. Albeit difficult having a custom move-set that was mutually agreed upon across regions would be the optimal scenario. Currently I feel that many individuals' reasonings to keep certain moves are rather ostentatious as it tends to highlight why said customs are "op" but in the face of criticism those same individuals will assert that their own customs are not "op"

I believe customs have their place wholeheartedly, but until the custom list receives attention in regards to excluding certain moves there will be no compromise. I say let me have custom ganon dive kick and oust hammer, explosive balloons, trip sappling, hyper manado arts, and penetrating needles. I would not refrain from playing in that meta....though I would be remiss to say that these are all the OP moves, im sure there are several others that make people want to throw their controller.

Last edited:

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
I can get aboard that train. I have seen a plethora of ridiculous shenanigans due to certain customs, ergo the need to outright ban some. I died at 70 as Ganon to custom Shulk dthrow with hyper manado arts smash on. It's most likely too much of an endeavor to ask for a universal custom movepool, as there will always be dissenting opinion no matter what.

In other news my region has done away with transformation counter-picks such as castle siege and Delfino. I personally am distraught by this because i really loved Delfino due to its low ceilings and walk off potential as a counter pick. The meta is changing for better or for worse, but as Barret from ff7 would say, "there ain't no gettin' offa' this train we on!" Cue airship music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dnl6NoEVdo

Last edited:

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I think at this point that customs are relegated to custom side tournaments and will remain there. It's fine if customs are not the norm in the main events, but it'd be nice if more TO's planned a custom side tournament.

Soul.

Honestly people are never going to reach a consensus with customs. Talking about them is almost pointless, I dunno anymore.
Default is meta. No I don't hate customs.

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
So to change the subject, what tech has everyone been working on? Ive been working on my basic movement. That being foxtrot, pivots, qac and doing b reverses and rar n the side.

Last edited:

M15t3R E

Smash Master
So to change the subject, what tech has everyone been working on? Ive been working on my basic movement. That being foxtrot, pivots, qac and doing b reverses and rar n the side.
Been working more on options from down throw. There are so many it's fun to improvise with it. Also honing my consistency with PP f-smashes, which I rarely see Pikachus do. It's a shame really.

Last edited:

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
Been working more on options from down throw. There are so many it's fun to improvise with it. Also honing my consistency with PP f-smashes, which I rarely see Pikachus do. It's a shame really.
Pp is a bit beyond my level atm, cant even realky figure out how to foxtrot properly yet lol

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Pp is a bit beyond my level atm, cant even realky figure out how to foxtrot properly yet lol
I haven't been using PP's for very long but it has a similar use to a wavedash from Melee. It's not on the same level as that of course but it's useful as it allows you to quickly take approximately a body length step back to catch them with a f-smash. I do it here and there in some of my for glory videos, particularly against Sheik.

Soul.

I've been doing nothing but practicing QACs. Dance trots yeah, that too.

I get the RAR Thunder thing once, never again. if only we had a real kill confirm

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
I've been doing nothing but practicing QACs. Dance trots yeah, that too.

I get the RAR Thunder thing once, never again. if only we had a real kill confirm
I Would rather have no kill confirm and be good than to have one and everyone cry nerf.. People dont like pikachu

Soul.

Of course people don't like Pikachu; the Pokémon is full of pessimism in competitive Smash Bros. kappa.

Umbreoff

Smash Cadet
Just wondering if anyone knew of any locals near Tampa on the week of Thanksgiving. I'm going there for Thanksgiving and I thought it would be cool to go to a local or a weekly there, but I'm not having much luck. My request to join the Tampa FB group is still pending and I've asked around on other places on FB. I've also checked the weekly tournament thing on Smashboards. There's one tournament that may be near the area, but it's also apparently on Thanksgiving Day, which isn't ideal. lol. If you guys have any suggestions as to where I should look next, that would be great, thanks.

Uncle Honey

Smash Apprentice
Someone tell me why Esam keeps CPing Duck Hunt. Most of the stage is FD, so players with camp styles go to town. The ledges on the bush and trees are super slim, so they are difficult to QAC on. The side blastzones are deceptively long, so thunder kills are tough unless right at the edge. Vertical blastzone is not favorable either. The walls of the stage are flat, so you can't stage spike opponents which is roughly 70% of Pika's kills not to mention the amount of characters who can walljump...etc.

Educate me.

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
Someone tell me why Esam keeps CPing Duck Hunt. Most of the stage is FD, so players with camp styles go to town. The ledges on the bush and trees are super slim, so they are difficult to QAC on. The side blastzones are deceptively long, so thunder kills are tough unless right at the edge. Vertical blastzone is not favorable either. The walls of the stage are flat, so you can't stage spike opponents which is roughly 70% of Pika's kills not to mention the amount of characters who can walljump...etc.

Educate me.
Pretty sure he just likes duck hunt

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
Man ive been playing offline so long playing on wifi feels like ive never played before. I got beat by a ****ty bowser on anthers.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Maybe he just has an irrational hate for ducks
Still a good stage or decent for Pikachu since he's fast, can wall jump off of walls, and does well against chracters like ZZS and Rosalina.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
so i played some friendlies at a regional with our local DHD main Chye who is pretty good, and all i can say is I have never felt so walled out in my life. Was good to see the variance in this game, but at the same time I really wish i knew what to do since we cant just sit in shield or we get grabbed, and we cant just not shield because tons of projectiles on stage. I am gonna need to work on that MU with him a lot now lol

Soul.

I'm gonna ask this here.

Do we have option selects? I don't know how option selects work in previous Smash games; I heard you can do one by powershielding a move* in Smash 4, so if anyone can tell me if we really have that stuff I'd appreciate it.

*Could be wrong, pls correct if I'm indeed wrong

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I'm gonna ask this here.

Do we have option selects? I don't know how option selects work in previous Smash games; I heard you can do one by powershielding a move* in Smash 4, so if anyone can tell me if we really have that stuff I'd appreciate it.

*Could be wrong, pls correct if I'm indeed wrong
For my part, I've not heard the term applied to Smash before. I could just be uninformed. I'm uninformed a lot.

I don't think Smash's engine offers priority for moves in the way necessary to have option selects. The closest to option selects out of a powershield I can think of would be...well, out of shield options. Maybe whoever told you that was referring to a jump cancelled usmash OoS?

This all assumes I understand all the terms involved properly. Or that I understand Smash's engine properly. Please see previous section on uninformed. Ponder whether a slightly-educated guess is better than no answer at all. I try, anyway.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
There are option selects in the game, it's just that no one has bothered to figure them out. Even if we did find some for Pikachu, they probably wouldn't be that useful. An example of an option select would be like a standing grab to up to down + shield. What this does is if you land the grab, you'll do an instant up throw. If they spot dodge your grab, you'll do a buffered spot dodge which might dodge any possible punish. I can't really say how useful this is though.

trombonophone99

Smash Cadet
NNID
trombonophone99
Just wondering if anyone knew of any locals near Tampa on the week of Thanksgiving. I'm going there for Thanksgiving and I thought it would be cool to go to a local or a weekly there, but I'm not having much luck. My request to join the Tampa FB group is still pending and I've asked around on other places on FB. I've also checked the weekly tournament thing on Smashboards. There's one tournament that may be near the area, but it's also apparently on Thanksgiving Day, which isn't ideal. lol. If you guys have any suggestions as to where I should look next, that would be great, thanks.
What luck, I just so happen to be browsing around and see this. Look up "Tampa Spicy Spot" it's a semi-monthly tourney that goes on every other Friday. I haven't actually been to it recently so idk how it's doing now, but it's something.

Heres the FB page https://m.facebook.com/events/470118976469891?acontext={"ref":98}&aref=98

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
/salty rant incoming

urghhhh
fml
20+ straight losses in FG in a row
some were laggy and I got hit by stupid charged smashes and I like SD'd 10 times from bad QA
some were laggy + the other player was using heavyweights, I can't stand it ><
some I just got outplayed which wouldn't be so bad if not for the above

I swear I'm about to give up playing pika in for glory
I just can't
He's fragile
He need stupid amount of precision to space properly
QA turns into Skull Bash or leaves you in the air above the stage and free for punish or straight up kills you
sh fair turns into sh bair with far more ending lag
sh retreating fair turns into non-retreating version leading to OOS punish
Can't kill via smash cause need hard read to land it and no kill setups, and it's too damn laggy to hit it, meanwhile I die to rage
Can't kill offstage edgeguards cause lag caused thunder to miss you and you die, or you fastfall and die, or you whiff and die and ughhh
I swear pika has like losing matchups against everyone in lag conditions

I can take the taunts if I'm outplayed, but taunting when I SD'd or you landed a random charge smash is not cool ugh
And taunting mid-match is never cool

At this point I just want to give up pika on online play
I just can't do it anymore
too much heartbreak

/salty rant over

I don't get salty when I'm outplayed, I get salty when I lose due to circumstances beyond my control ._.

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
/salty rant incoming

urghhhh
fml
20+ straight losses in FG in a row
some were laggy and I got hit by stupid charged smashes and I like SD'd 10 times from bad QA
some were laggy + the other player was using heavyweights, I can't stand it ><
some I just got outplayed which wouldn't be so bad if not for the above

I swear I'm about to give up playing pika in for glory
I just can't
He's fragile
He need stupid amount of precision to space properly
QA turns into Skull Bash or leaves you in the air above the stage and free for punish or straight up kills you
sh fair turns into sh bair with far more ending lag
sh retreating fair turns into non-retreating version leading to OOS punish
Can't kill via smash cause need hard read to land it and no kill setups, and it's too damn laggy to hit it, meanwhile I die to rage
Can't kill offstage edgeguards cause lag caused thunder to miss you and you die, or you fastfall and die, or you whiff and die and ughhh
I swear pika has like losing matchups against everyone in lag conditions

I can take the taunts if I'm outplayed, but taunting when I SD'd or you landed a random charge smash is not cool ugh
And taunting mid-match is never cool

At this point I just want to give up pika on online play
I just can't do it anymore
too much heartbreak

/salty rant over

I don't get salty when I'm outplayed, I get salty when I lose due to circumstances beyond my control ._.
Dont play for glory its actually terrible, worse with pikachu. If you have to play online then use anthers ladder. At least there you can at least fight people who know how to play.. Higher chance for a better connection too.

Soul.

Anther's takes a while to set up though. FG is pick up and play; that's one good thing about it.
It becomes surprising to see a good/decent player on there with minimum lag. It's only really stupid because of the "every stage is FD" and scrubs in general.

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
I can't play Anther's cause no one in my area uses Anther's, so I'm back to the lag issue ;w;

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
I can't play Anther's cause no one in my area uses Anther's, so I'm back to the lag issue ;w;
I play on Ladder. I'm not on everyday, but if you want a match there at anytime, let me know. Hopefully, lag doesn't get in the way if we do fight.
Plus, I rather pick Ladder than be on For Glory because there's good people and less scrubs to fight there, but that's up to you.

Yaki

Yamato-Nadeshiko with Good Taste and Opinions
What People from NYC consider Upstate NY.
NNID
GrilledYaki
3DS FC
1891-1180-3868
I've come to the conclusion that my combo game as pika is kinda subpar aside from the bread and butter "uthrow into thunder". I've been told Dthrow into UAirs works but I haven't had the time to try it yet. Are there other combos (i'm sure there are) or...

Top Bottom