• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

People who play smash bros. solely on INSTINCT?

afgsouljah

Smash Rookie
this is a very interesting phenomenon that i have wanted to know more about. i know that personally, when i am playing in a serious match, i blank out. I barely think, almost unconciously playing. Obviously i do analyze my opponent, and create strategies for winning, but i dont even think about strategies or analysis, they just come out automatically from my instinct so quickly and they work. The most surprising incident of this is when i was playing a pretty good Marth with my Marth in final destination, and i did an eight hit meteor smash true combo (cant get out of it ) with marth ( SHFFL neutral A + SHFFL neutral A + SHFFL neutral A + fair + jump meteor smash) that i did not even plan :confused: Even in the middle of the combo i didnt know what it was going to end like, i just kept seeing oppenings (in split seconds) to continue the combo and at the end to finish with a kill.

now my question is this, is there anyone else out there who experiences. Anybody who plays smash bros. solely on instinct?

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Not an interesting phenomenon, people that do that usually get rocked badly when facing people that actually use their head in a matchup, most lower skill players play like that, and as a tip, instead of saying shffle neutral air, say n-air and the jump meteor smash? if you mean marth's d-air, its not a meteor smash, its a spike, it can't be jump or up-b canceled, his dancing blade's meteor smash can.

pdk

Smash Lord
you probably don't hear your voice in your head talking technical when you play, but you're still thinking technical

and we all know the one true instinct there is in smash, it's link's up+b

halfDemon

Smash Lord
It's just an "on-the-spot" type of combo: it's not planned, but it happens because you are aware of what's going on. If you were really completely "subconcious," you wouldn't technically be a able to pull it off. Just because you're not telling yourself to do something, doesn't mean you're not thinking about it.

afgsouljah

Smash Rookie
Not an interesting phenomenon, people that do that usually get rocked badly when facing people that actually use their head in a matchup, most lower skill players play like that, and as a tip, instead of saying shffle neutral air, say n-air and the jump meteor smash? if you mean marth's d-air, its not a meteor smash, its a spike, it can't be jump or up-b canceled, his dancing blade's meteor smash can.
****ga please, you are ignorant. what i am tlaking about is a true ken combo, u dont even understand what i mean. maybe its just hard to believe that somebody like me can own you for free using half their brain capacity which is probably double yours.

pdk understands what i mean, maybe i worded it wrong. what i am talking about is people who completely zone out during smash, a higher level of concentration that consists of no inner voice or "thinking aloud" if you call it, just letting your brain take over( ie. thinking technical what pdk said ).

turner

Smash Cadet
i use instinct i think all that goes through my mind when i play is jumpy jumpy jumpy jump jump jumpy jumpy. you get the idea

greenblob

Smash Lord
Doesn't the Ken Combo use fairs to get the opponent off the edge instead of nairs?

Anyway, you're not blanking out. You're in, what I like to call, a higher state of mind :p.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
don't confuse instinct w/not thinking. for those of you who can drive, it's like highway hypnosis: sometimes you zone out and when you snap out of it you have driven for a while. technically you were driving the whole time, but you were acting w/o even realizing it. it is a well documented phenomenon in psychology.

edit: like being "in the zone" when playing a sport.

WaterTails

Smash Lord
oh, 'cause when I do it, I just stare blankly at the screen! No real thinking, nothing, just look at the screen... It's wierd!

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
The sports thing that tar brought up is the best analogy... you can't miss a shot, just like you couldn't miss the combo... its just something clicks.. happened to me in tennis today just told my self to stop thinking about it... worked out well too came back to take a set i was down by three games on... FOREHAND FTW

So yea not an interesting phenomenon just a good thing to click in

Banks

Smash Hero
you'll do better if you think about what you are doing otherwise you will fall into predictable patterns

St. Viers

Smash Champion
I get what you are saying...I'm like that in Ping-pong, where I just "zone-out" but do better than I usually do. Its as if you just know whats going to happen, and are finally reacting properly, without consciously thinking "now I have to do this."

It has happened twice to me when playing smash... but not that often

Mosk

Smash Cadet
this is a very interesting phenomenon that i have wanted to know more about. i know that personally, when i am playing in a serious match, i blank out. I barely think, almost unconciously playing. Obviously i do analyze my opponent, and create strategies for winning, but i dont even think about strategies or analysis, they just come out automatically from my instinct so quickly and they work. The most surprising incident of this is when i was playing a pretty good Marth with my Marth in final destination, and i did an eight hit meteor smash true combo (cant get out of it ) with marth ( SHFFL neutral A + SHFFL neutral A + SHFFL neutral A + fair + jump meteor smash) that i did not even plan :confused: Even in the middle of the combo i didnt know what it was going to end like, i just kept seeing oppenings (in split seconds) to continue the combo and at the end to finish with a kill.

now my question is this, is there anyone else out there who experiences. Anybody who plays smash bros. solely on instinct?
It's called being focused.

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
I know what he means, and I'd have to point everyone back to tarheeljks' post, since I think he's right. This has happened to me before, and it's really quite surprising and pleasing when it does happen.

Just the other day, I was playing against a friend of mine and (as Marth) somehow pulled off a nair -> 3 shdfairs in a row, then on the fourth dfair (which was really close to the edge), I hit him with the very hilt of Marth's sword (equivalent to a jab in power, basically), then without even thinking, did a dair instead of the second fair, which spiked him below the edge and I landed safely right on the edge. I have never ever seen that combo done before (or anything like it for that matter), nor ever even thought of it.

It's a dicipline to be able to play like that. I think it's a mix between muscle memory and focus, and it deffinitly does not mean you aren't thinking. Also, you should know that almost all combos are improvised. Never, ever start a combo thinking "ok, I'm going to do this, then this, then this, and end it with an fsmash". Go in with a combo starter, then improvise based on where your foe DIs, wether you tipper your fairs or not, and other things that change where your opponent goes.

By the way, the combo in your first post certainly was not a "true Ken combo". The Ken combo is shdfairs to fsmash, or shdfairs to tipper fair to dj dair. Nothing else. Your second post here shows a LOT of immaturity, which made me hesitate to answer your question at all. Why should anyone answer your questions if all you're going to do is insult anyone who dosn't agree with you? Grade 2 was like that. This forum shouldn't be.

Razed

Smash Ace
Wow, that's what I do all the time! I never thought of explaining it though, cause I didn't think anyone else would understand... Proved me wrong!

Cool stuff

Linkster47

Smash Apprentice
The sports thing that tar brought up is the best analogy... you can't miss a shot, just like you couldn't miss the combo... its just something clicks.. happened to me in tennis today just told my self to stop thinking about it... worked out well too came back to take a set i was down by three games on... FOREHAND FTW

So yea not an interesting phenomenon just a good thing to click in
Good to hear I'm not the only person who plays tennis, tennis rocks! Nice point too.

I know what he means, and I'd have to point everyone back to tarheeljks' post, since I think he's right. This has happened to me before, and it's really quite surprising and pleasing when it does happen.

Just the other day, I was playing against a friend of mine and (as Marth) somehow pulled off a nair -> 3 shdfairs in a row, then on the fourth dfair (which was really close to the edge), I hit him with the very hilt of Marth's sword (equivalent to a jab in power, basically), then without even thinking, did a dair instead of the second fair, which spiked him below the edge and I landed safely right on the edge. I have never ever seen that combo done before (or anything like it for that matter), nor ever even thought of it.

It's a dicipline to be able to play like that. I think it's a mix between muscle memory and focus, and it deffinitly does not mean you aren't thinking. Also, you should know that almost all combos are improvised. Never, ever start a combo thinking "ok, I'm going to do this, then this, then this, and end it with an fsmash". Go in with a combo starter, then improvise based on where your foe DIs, wether you tipper your fairs or not, and other things that change where your opponent goes.

By the way, the combo in your first post certainly was not a "true Ken combo". The Ken combo is shdfairs to fsmash, or shdfairs to tipper fair to dj dair. Nothing else. Your second post here shows a LOT of immaturity, which made me hesitate to answer your question at all. Why should anyone answer your questions if all you're going to do is insult anyone who dosn't agree with you? Grade 2 was like that. This forum shouldn't.
Great post, I agree with everything you said. The part about starting a combo and just playing off of it was great and I can relate to it. I was playing chess with my friend at school and planned a stratagey that was six turns long and at the end would give me a checkmate. On the sixth turn he did something unexpected with his king and it cost me my queen. I soon lost and felt so foolish about it. I learned my lesson about planning ahead to much and not analyzing the situation enough.

Anyway, I've also gone into this state of mind with Link. I was losing, 1 stock to 3 stock against my friends Falcon. I went into the zone and just destroyed him with great combos. I usually only go into it after my opponent pulls a combo off on me and I'm losing. I get angry about the combo and just start comboing them. I wish I could play in the zone whenever I wanted though.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
directed to topic creator: yeah, very immature with the off comments about brainpower and whatnot, Calling me ignorant shows alot about yourself, and infact your true ken combo isn't the ken combo at all as pye stated. I wish you lived abit closer, I could show you my point first-hand :)

I'm not saying people with a distinct mindset are bad, and some combos come naturally but if you fight a good player solely based on what you feel, you will lose, in really technical matchups you need to plan ahead and focus on what you need to do.

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
and we all know the one true instinct there is in smash, it's link's up+b
Lol, that is so true.

Enemy.... dropping in, from above.
Mind... not working right, hands... defying control.
Should... move, attack with... an aerial.
Buttons, are... being pressed, without... my will.
UP B!!!!

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Well since I can only play smash in arcades [read my sig to find out why] I can't play like this, because all we can play there is FFAs [sometimes no items but I conviced the noobs to turn all of them off].

If I play like that in the arcade, someone WILL end up with a lot more stocks than me and person I decide to target, which usually costs me the match. Anyway, thinking like this works on noobs but any average-above average player will probably eat through this tactic.

Mix it up and you wil be fine, do too much of either and you might become too predictable.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
Using G-dorf's uair is almost purely instinctual for me. It just happens.

I've never seen Smash in an arcade machine. Where can one be purchased?

...Uhh, I'm pretty positive they don't exist. You could try make one though...I guess.

Anyways, I agree with everyone who hasn't said something dumb. Such as the fact that 10 unDIed n-airs to a spike isn't a "true" combo. And I have to say people who seriously refer to every possible combo of Marth's as "The Ken Combo!!" are pretty dumb.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Off topic= ka-master, I've heard you get at least two misfires per match, is this true?

on topic= Following your instincts may also set you up for a mindgame if you keep doing the same thing.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
don't confuse instinct w/not thinking. for those of you who can drive, it's like highway hypnosis: sometimes you zone out and when you snap out of it you have driven for a while. technically you were driving the whole time, but you were acting w/o even realizing it. it is a well documented phenomenon in psychology.

edit: like being "in the zone" when playing a sport.
i feel ya...i went throough that highway hypnosis last saturday...i was coming back from a long tournament...the day before we had a huge smashfest...so i had like 3 and a half hours of sleep...then the tourney started at 10 in the am and we didnt leave till like 1:30 am...i was driving home and the highway like hypnotizes you cuz there was like no other car on the road..and u just see this endless rond just passing and passing...i ended up zoning out and when i got back to reality i swaer i had passed like two exits...i zoned back in right before my exit...i was just like wow...that was scary and dangerous...

as for the topic of playing by instict...all it is, is being more focused...it happens a lot..and a lot of combos are made on th spot..you just see the opening and continue the combo...nothing special...peace

-hiroshi

red stone

Smash Ace
when you are attacking someone, you don't really need to think.

all you have to do is watch your spacing and use the appropriate move based on the distance between you and your opponent.

thinking comes in when both of you are on even ground, neither of you are continuing a combo, and you need to close the gap.

this is when you use mindgames, but even then, at higher levels, it's a coin flip on who comes out on top

Banks

Smash Hero
you are always thinking, if you don't then you probly suck at this game or play people who suck more.

afgsouljah

Smash Rookie
pye understands what i mean, thats exactly the word i was looking for, IMPROVISED with combos.

and btw, i do not like it when people hate on something they do not understand and blow it off as stupidity, which was what that guy was implying. i was immature for insulting him, and two wrongs dont make a right, but it sure makes me feel better :).

i wish this guy did live closer to me, i dont like forum trashtalk, but since there is no way to play this guy to prove him wrong, theres nothing else to do :(.

there are a LOT of forum trash-talkers/ haters on these boards, fu*k all y'all, wait til online play

Giggidax

Smash Ace
improvised comboing is a good way to put this. as also stated, being in complete focus. does ur meaning of playing off instinct include both offensive and defensive play or are u just trying to make combos by mindlessly going after ur opponent.

red stone

Smash Ace
people need to realize the different levels of instinct. there's primal instinct like surviving and need for food, subconscious intinct like driving on the freeway. there's different levels of thought in any level.

try to play melee without using even a single neuron. i can but YOU probably can't.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
I think my friends and I have the same sort of instinct. While playing, sometimes we go on with converstations about things, and kind of space off into them. At the same time, we're still playing as good as ever even though we aren't totally focusing. You just learn to FEEL it.

Banks

Smash Hero
Yeah I use to be like that but once you starting fighting people who use mind games you are forced to become aware of your actions.

yea i agree with that, if you play mindlessly you'll get beaten. you have to know what you are doing.

B_Smash07

Smash Apprentice
i do that all the time!!! I use mario, and i was playin my friend. he uses falco. he started to f-smash spam me, and then i blanked out. if there wasnt video, i woodnt remember how i won. i think i sheild grabbed him after like kix, then went into a downwards chainthro. i got him to like 50 dammage, the ^smash, jump, N-air, land, run under him, jump, N- air, (then he was over open space) METEOR. ya, it was weird.

Banks

Smash Hero
yea maybe you can beat people blanked out who FSMASH SPAM WITH FALCO wtf is that get that **** outa here

pdk

Smash Lord
Using G-dorf's uair is almost purely instinctual for me. It just happens.

I've never seen Smash in an arcade machine. Where can one be purchased?
1) buy gamecube and ssb
2) buy empty cabinet
3) insert

Top Bottom