• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

People who play smash bros. solely on INSTINCT?

laughingbovine

Smash Rookie
when you are attacking someone, you don't really need to think.

all you have to do is watch your spacing and use the appropriate move based on the distance between you and your opponent.

thinking comes in when both of you are on even ground, neither of you are continuing a combo, and you need to close the gap.

this is when you use mindgames, but even then, at higher levels, it's a coin flip on who comes out on top
Nah.
I'd say that basically once you are engaged, everything you do should be improvised/thought out. What you do isn't based on distance, its based on several things like your opponents mannerisms, velocity, range, etc.

And as for the OP, definately.
Its like all your muscle memory gets to the point where any sort of button combination like "wavedash", etc. is natural... like moving a limb. You get to the point where playing is (as someone else said) kind of like playing a sport... tennis player hitting the perfect backhand slice, smash player shffling across the stage... same thing. I find that I cant even feel the controller when that happens.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
There are some things that people will do based on instinct, such as l cancelling, wavedashing, or even things like knowing how to do a f-smash. But aside from that type of thing, most good players don't play on instinct. They read opponents, and can adapt to whatever they're doing.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
When you zone out, I don't really think it's instinct, I like to refer to is as auto-pilot. Where you're not really aware of what's going on but you continue on anyway.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Using G-dorf's uair is almost purely instinctual for me. It just happens.

I've never seen Smash in an arcade machine. Where can one be purchased?
I mean they have tvs set up with GCs, Xbox ps2 etc. and you just pay to play.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
There's no Gamestop, EBgames or anything worth shopping at here. If I buy a GC it'll run me up $300 US, if I buy a wii it'll run me up $500 US.

And no one around here [my neighbour] is worth playing. I plan to get to know the elites, [well they aren't as good as half of the pros but they'll suffice] find out where they live and play [smash/ halo etc.] there. I guess it'll be cool for LAN parties too.

my mom is gonna buy me a Wii online but the only thing is I have no idea when she'll buy it and how long it'll take to get down here.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
if ur seeing openings and responding to them its not "instinct", its just intense knowledge of the controllers every molecule and the ability to not press buttons, but use ur mind to manipulate the character on the screen. it happens to us all. or else we're all nubs. Which we're not.

pdk

Smash Lord
no, using your mind to manipulate the controller is how dhalsim plays

YOGA SHINE

starvingartist

Smash Cadet
I find that when I rely on my instinct I become predictable and easily beaten. This is, however, because I make the mistake of playing against the computer too much so my instinct is flawed against real players.

Sefe

Smash Apprentice
It happens...I have experienced this myself but you have to be careful you can ALWAYS be punished for something as stupid as this...Very cool and all but be careful...I seem to always do my best when I dont think I try to predict and such I guess think but I am quite and such so yeah I mean its good and all but be careful

khepri

Smash Lord
I do this a lot and find I play better like that. When I'm drunk/high my skill level shoots up like none other and I destroy my friends.

If you've been playing long enough I'd expect everyone to do it. It's just a thing "experts" do. If you're an expert in a field, you tend to do worse with more attention you add to it.

Stryk9

Smash Journeyman
all i know is get the most ****ed up facial expressions when im playing an intense game and i zone out to the point i wont talk to anybody until the set is over, i just ignore them

afgsouljah

Smash Rookie
all i know is get the most ****ed up facial expressions when im playing an intense game and i zone out to the point i wont talk to anybody until the set is over, i just ignore them
lmao i have fu**ed up facial expressions too, but nobody notices :), they are too busy getting owned by me on the tv-screen:D:D:D

btw Dhalsim is from street fighter, another amazing fighter.Go buy it. From what i have seen and what i believe, all fighting games have the same basic equation. Technical Skills(combos etc) + Mind Games (experience, strategy) = pawnage

Giggidax

Smash Ace
dude i too have a "smashing face" lol!! whenever im trying to play as serious as possible to improve my game, i ignore everything and concentrate on the match. only when i die ill say things like "oh man that was nice, totally pwnd me!" but yea, i would think im pretty boring to play smash with tho if all i do is play serious and not talk during a smash session.

Press22

Smash Journeyman
I totally get this with Fox, Like I'll sit in practice mode for hours and then never use the Techniques in a fight (unless playing comp), It's weird but it works for me, I have a 19 hit combo with fox without wavedashing 0_o sounds funky huh

The_Famous_SK

Smash Apprentice
if instincts don't exist, what do you call unconditioned responses (i.e. reflexes)?
Just that. Reflexes or unconditioned responses.

Instinct: A behavior that is genetically programmed into an entire species. Thus, the behavior is not the result of learning, and can be seen across members of a species. For example, there are specific nest building behaviors that are part of different species of birds. If you hatch one of these birds in captivity and raise it without any contact with any other members of its species, it will still do those species-specific nest building behaviors.

freddy 22

Smash Rookie
I notice this when I verse an opponent that is good, but if I'm playing a cp I don't really notice anything sweet.

Top Bottom