• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pensacola, FL Monthly #3: Brawl & Melee - 12/06/08

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
Drumma said he's interested anyway. I'll have to talk to them about it more when we go to Louisiana this weekend.

Ruse

Fox
Drumma said he's interested anyway. I'll have to talk to them about it more when we go to Louisiana this weekend.
Aight.

I think I might start doing my homework and try to get into Melee, especially if your old crew will show up to PCola monthlies.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
I'll leave that up to Holy since he has the most interaction with him.

I'll try to get Panhandle Manhandlers though.

Ruse

Fox
I'll leave that up to Holy since he has the most interaction with him.

I'll try to get Panhandle Manhandlers though.
(: Thanks, Manko.

Sorry I wasn't awake when you got here today.

I thought something had come up with you, so you had to bail.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
n/p. I figured it might have been something like that since cars were outside but nobody around. I didn't want to go walking through your house to find you. Especially since I didn't know which room was yours and nobody was answering when I called out.

Ruse

Fox
Does anyone know that Fox kid that showed up at #1?

I'd like to get ahold of him and see if he wants to show for this one.

Ruse

Fox
I kno Fox from my freinds that he invited. If i can get him to come, he will bring fox
(: Sweet.

From what I remember, he was pretty **** good.

Also, all of my poor friends are begging for a $5 Brawl singles fee.

"I'm not going to pay $10 to enter something that I know I'll lose." -Mike Love

Anyone have input on lowering the price? I'm pretty indifferent.

Bummerz

Smash Apprentice
lowering prices? thats cool with me. i just want to play and check out how good the mainland is compared to lil ol hawaii. i hope yall beat the **** outta me

HolyChef

Smash Ace
nah chill with lowering the fee. the pot is small enough with our small community. not only that but then people from different areas like tally are definitely not gonna go. u also cant be going in with the mindset of "im gonna lose" either.

for example, i went in the last tourney with my mind set on facing dan in losers finals and it happened lol. no really, go ask him. i trained with him the night before and when i was leaving i said that id meet him in losers finals. and i did.

skaterbaj

Smash Lord
>_< i wouldnt mind lowering pot even if it was only by 2 dollars. I dont mind paying 10 but if people come to the tourney with a good spirit Saying "man i just want to play and have fun" thats all that matters to me soo 10 isnt a big deal but lowering it would be cool(dont have to :p)

Ruse

Fox
Hmm.

I'm starting to lean towards not lowering it, but we'll see if Manko has any good input. The pot already is pretty minuscule.

Ruse

Fox
cant be going in with the mindset of "im gonna lose" either.
Yeah, I know that, but Mike is half retired, so he hasn't been getting any better or learning anything new.

I don't really establish a "I'm going to win," or "I'm going to lose," mindset, I just try my best and think of what to do according the to player, character, and stage. Getting either of those ideas in your head can be really bad; thinking you're going to win can get you overly confident, thus leading to you not trying your hardest, whereas thinking you're going to lose can drastically lower how good you do for pretty much the same reason.

Ruse

Fox
hmm so how much is it for melee singles? on pg 1 it says $5
$5, indeed.

I played a G&W main that was at my house the other day. Two stocked him in a G&W ditto and one stocked him with R.O.B.

Some guy I'd never met is at my house, and I just played his Snake.

Three stocked him ):.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
Speaking as somebody with a job, I don't mind paying $10. Even at out of state tournaments where there's no shot at winning, I don't see it as a waste. I think of it as an event you're going to for some fun & competition. It's like going to the movies (could easily reach $10) or a concert (way more than $10) to me. Since it's only once a month, I'd hope it's possible for everyone to save up a measly $10.

It's also already cheaper than a lot of other tourneys are. The standard is usually $15 I believe. Plus there's no door fee here, where other places have to charge people to even get inside so they can pay the rental fee.

As Holy pointed out, people are going to be less likely to drive over here if there's not much chance of breaking even. You don't want it like Tally used to be where 2nd place in teams got $4 each. I'd also say to bump Melee up to $10 for this very reason. I know not many are likely to enter it anyway though, so whatever I guess.

Ruse

Fox
Speaking as somebody with a job, I don't mind paying $10. Even at out of state tournaments where there's no shot at winning, I don't see it as a waste. I think of it as an event you're going to for some fun & competition. It's like going to the movies (could easily reach $10) or a concert (way more than $10) to me. Since it's only once a month, I'd hope it's possible for everyone to save up a measly $10.

It's also already cheaper than a lot of other tourneys are. The standard is usually $15 I believe. Plus there's no door fee here, where other places have to charge people to even get inside so they can pay the rental fee.

As Holy pointed out, people are going to be less likely to drive over here if there's not much chance of breaking even. You don't want it like Tally used to be where 2nd place in teams got $4 each. I'd also say to bump Melee up to $10 for this very reason. I know not many are likely to enter it anyway though, so whatever I guess.
Good points, good points.

I think I'm going to keep Melee at $5 this time, just to see the turn-out. If it's low, it'll probably stay $5, but if it's decent (or looks like it could be bigger next time), it has the potential to be raised.

Looks like $10 is final for Brawl.

Also, anyone up for $2 winner-takes-all low tier tourney at PCola #4? I want to use Samus/Jiggs really badly ):.

Ruse

Fox
i thought u said mk was broken...
He's pretty ridiculous.

I also said there were some characters that I thought might be able to hold their own (but, to be fair, while I had heard Diddy could, I wouldn't have believed it until now).

A lot of people are still saying Snake can, too (but I haven't really been doing much research as of late...), and I still think G&W has a chance (especially after watching Hylian handle Dojo's MK).

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
He's pretty ridiculous.

I also said there were some characters that I thought might be able to hold their own (but, to be fair, while I had heard Diddy could, I wouldn't have believed it until now).

A lot of people are still saying Snake can, too (but I haven't really been doing much research as of late...), and I still think G&W has a chance (especially after watching Hylian handle Dojo's MK).
Read my MK vs GW topic.

Dojo doesn't lose to me anymore.

Or anyone in Texas for that matter.

HolyChef

Smash Ace
i wish i could search for my name and find neutral/positive comments. the last time i searched, i found out that i sucked and am hated some places lol.

anyway i thought i told u bout hylians essay, which includes tips from m2k, on the matchup. after i read that, i stopped thinking the matchup is neutral. there was a time when it was though. and y did u not use G&W against my MK more in our sets last tourney?

Ruse

Fox
Read my MK vs GW topic.

Dojo doesn't lose to me anymore.

Or anyone in Texas for that matter.
Ouch ):.

Like I said, I haven't been keeping up with things.

i wish i could search for my name and find neutral/positive comments. the last time i searched, i found out that i sucked and am hated some places lol.

anyway i thought i told u bout hylians essay, which includes tips from m2k, on the matchup. after i read that, i stopped thinking the matchup is neutral. there was a time when it was though. and y did u not use G&W against my MK more in our sets last tourney?
Link to the essay?

Because my G&W isn't up to par with my R.O.B., who isn't even up to par with your MK. I've been working on him some, so I'm hoping next time that we get some friendlies in that I can hold my own with him. What're you (and anyone else) doing Wednesday?

Bummerz

Smash Apprentice
if melee turn out is bad you came from out of town or something i wont mind doin some $ matches.

i rely want to see how good the mainland is compared to lil ol hawaii... just dont ask me for like a $100 match cause then ima have to say no on that one. i think im decent not that good to throw down a ben

Ruse

Fox
if melee turn out is bad you came from out of town or something i wont mind doin some $ matches.

i rely want to see how good the mainland is compared to lil ol hawaii... just dont ask me for like a $100 match cause then ima have to say no on that one. i think im decent not that good to throw down a ben
If Manko's old crew shows the Melee turn-out should be decent. I also know of DeCoN and a few others that are entering Melee, so it shouldn't be too tiny or anything.

Ruse

Fox
Lizard said:
We all want to come, just gotta see who would be going and driving and all that stuff.

Strong possibility that some of us will come. maybe all of us.

If we are unable to make it, we will defiantly consider for number 4Whether or not we make it to this one, we will for SURE be out there soon to support this tourney! Take it easy Ruse!
10tally brawlers

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Thanks for the link!

Want to Brawl, maybe? I could con (errr.. invite) John, Axel, DeCoN, etc. to come over, too.

Also, @ Hylian (although he'll probably not read this): I didn't think G&W was even with MK, just thought he had it better off than most.
65:35 is better then most?

XD.

HolyChef

Smash Ace
u stay overrating mk. hes not as broken as u make him. people need to work on fighting him instead of banning him and complaining

yeah that info changed the matchup a lot. and it was gonna get there eventually anyway.

snakes the better if not best bet.

Ruse

Fox
u stay overrating mk. hes not as broken as u make him. people need to work on fighting him banning him and complaining

yeah that info changed the matchup a lot. and it was gonna get there eventually anyway.

snakes the better if not best bet.
Yeah, I can see that.

I don't know if I honestly see Diddy owning MK...

Just because NL does it doesn't mean every can/does. NL is just really ****ing good, good enough to overcome the match-up and M2K.

EDIT: Friendlies/training at my crib today @6:00pm-whenever everyone leaves.

All PCola/general area Smashers are welcome.

CJ the Illest

Smash Cadet
and if i go. i will probibly meet up with my friend who lives in Tampa. Does anyone kno of any hotels around the tourny area? i wont be on smashboards very much. but if anyone has this information. jus call my cell or txt me. 504-275-5987

Top Bottom