• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pattern I'm seeing in the Melee vs. Brawl debates

Lucina Clash

Smash Apprentice
Link to original post: [drupal=721]Pattern I'm seeing in the Melee vs. Brawl debates[/drupal]

I can't help but notice a pattern in the whole "Melee vs. Brawl" thing. The people who love Brawl got their Melee main buffed, but the people who hate Brawl got their Melee main nerfed.

Here's a list:

Bowser mains HATE Brawl. There's no L-Cancel and Bowser needs that.
Captain Falcon mains HATE Brawl. Got nerfed!
Donkey Kong mains?
Falco mains LOVE or HATE Brawl. Depends on what you think of the new Down Special Move he has now.
Fox mains HATE Brawl. Got nerfed bad.
Ganondorf mains HATE Brawl. Got nerfed bad.
Ice Climber mains?
Jigglypuff mains?
Kirby mains LOVE Brawl. Got buffed!
Link mains?
Luigi mains LOVE Brawl. The dash attack is great and the Down Special Move is better!
Mario or Doctor Mario mains LOVE or HATE Brawl. Depends on what you really think of F.L.U.D.D. and the newer down aerial move.
Marth mains LOVE or HATE Brawl. Depends on what you think of the lack of a wave dash
Mewtwo mains HATE Brawl. Kinda predictable actually....
Mr. Game & Watch mains LOVE Brawl. Got buffed!
Ness mains LOVE Brawl. Got buffed!
Peach mains?
Pikachu or Pichu mains LOVE Brawl. Got buffed!
Roy mains?
Samus mains?
Sheik mains HATE Brawl. Got nerfed!
Yoshi mains?
Young Link mains?
Zelda mains LOVE Brawl. Got buffed!

Any other kind of reasoning is... META KNIGHT!! That or wavedashing and L cancelling being out now.

Please assist me to finish this!!

Cinder

Smash Master
I hate Brawl because it's not as competitive as Melee...and anyone that uses a character as an excuse to say they hate either game is seriously pathetic..."OH WAH, my main got nerfed, and I'd obviously rather whine and ***** about it than use that character"..."My main used to be terrible, but I never cared enough to use them"...seriously, using nerfing or buffing as an excuse to hate either game is proof that said person is a tier *****...

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
My Melee main got nerfed, but that's hardly why I hate Brawl...it's hard to generalize and say a whole group of people hates/loves a game, and said group hates/loves a game because of the fate of their main.

The majority of Brawl haters/lovers did not come to that decision because of their main.

Yeah, Cinder sums it up pretty well also.

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
I know most people who dislike Brawl dislike it because it isn't as competitive... But is that really a reason to hate it? I mean, I got Melee on release so so long ago, and I knew all the techs, got into the scene... But I still like Brawl. I'm just asking, so don't flame me.

Cinder

Smash Master
I know most people who dislike Brawl dislike it because it isn't as competitive... But is that really a reason to hate it?
Depends on the person...for me...well, look at my shattered disc...for others, not so much...

But yeah, I usually don't have a problem with Brawlers as long as I don't hear ignorant crap about Melee...which I haven't heard in this thread yet ^^;

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
Wrong! I like Brawl AND Melee! I like Brawl because of all the new characters, stages, playing modes, and it's a different game. I like Peach's up tilt. I like Melee because it feels retro, has old stages that I LOVE, has Roy, Peach, and other stuff.

Btw: I don't wavedash (I choose not to) and I play better w/ my Melee Marth than my Brawl Marth. I just don't like Brawl Marth (though I do like the new color turquoise!)...let's just make this simple: Melee is more "competitive". That draws the more competitive players. However, I'm competitive but I love both! Neither is better than the other; some like Brawl or Melee more the other just because. These threads are beginning to become irksome...

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I know most people who dislike Brawl dislike it because it isn't as competitive... But is that really a reason to hate it? I mean, I got Melee on release so so long ago, and I knew all the techs, got into the scene... But I still like Brawl. I'm just asking, so don't flame me.
It depends on the person. If you don't care about competitivity that much, then it's not going to affect your opinion. For some people, though, competitivity was what made Melee so great. They love competing in tournaments, and if the game isn't competitive, it's not as good for tournaments, making the best part of the game not as good.

That's not me, but that's the reasoning there.

I hate the game because all of the differences make it boring to me; I find no satisfaction in playing the game, quite frankly.

But yeah, I usually don't have a problem with Brawlers as long as I don't hear ignorant crap about Melee...which I haven't heard in this thread yet ^^;
I agree. As long as a Brawl lover isn't a Brawl n00b or an idiot in regards to Melee (e.g. assuming that Melee was all about wavedashing), I will respectfully disagree, and only respectfully. I don't flame anyone who likes Brawl just because they like Brawl.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
I was once a Young Link main, and him being dropped and this ugly, deformed Toon Link entering the scene pissed me off.

After a few months, I came to like him and how much higher he is on the tier list. =P

Also, what the hell? Bowser got so much better in Brawl.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I play both. I prefer Brawl. It's more my style, I guess.

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
Ahh, okay, I see now. Also, I prefer Brawl as well, but not by much. I grew up with Smash 64 and Melee.

D1RE

Smash Cadet
I play Sheik and I prefer Brawl. :p
I've played both games, and when I really want an intesive fight with my friend I go melee, but for casual gaming, I prefer Brawl. The option of fighting off the stage without having to be Peach/Jigglypuff is mainly why I prefer Brawl. If it wasn't for tripping I would say Brawl was the perfect casual smash.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Depends on the person...for me...well, look at my shattered disc...for others, not so much...

Ironic that your sig has crap about Brawl :ohwell:

I think the general pattern is

"I wun at Brawl cuz I have l33t skillz"

"Nuh-uh u wun cuz Brawl Sux0rs and Melee is da winz"

And it's all an inevitable drama fest because nothing no one Melee lover says will change a Brawl lovers mind, and vice versa. So the people smart enough to not get involved get to sit back and laugh at both sides.

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
You're pretty much pointing out the obvious with the whole "they love/hate the game if their character got buffed/nerfed" thing

Lucina Clash

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, but people never address the issue ever.

Also, I do love Melee AND Brawl; I don't pick and choose a side because they're both good in their own way.

Mewtwo1414

Smash Cadet
I think that both games are really deep, Brawl not as deep as Melee but still deep enough to be a very competitive game, just give it a chance, it's still developing, and if u still don't like it then wait for Smash Bros. 4(that is if they make it), and if they make Smash 4, then we all can fly to Japan and threaten Sakuri(is that how u spell his name?) to put back everything that we love, lol.

Drecker

Smash Ace
The only pattern I see in every argument is:

brawl suxz lolzolzzolzolzolzzz

I tend to mostly agree.

Top Bottom