• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Patch 1.1.4 - Last chance for buffs!

Ometeotl

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zurdo
Well in my very humble opinion, I think that Samus should be able to cancel her missiles and they super missile should kill. However, this isn't game changing since like half of the cast has reflectors, which makes spacing with projectiles really hard. Still, that's why she has such a great zair, that combined with her floatiness, makes her a great spacing character.

Her Up smash should connect better and her Forward smash's sweet spot should be a little bigger.

I love tech chasing so I do like all her options that can be linked with a charged shot so I do agree that her side tilt shouldn't have such a weak hitbox on her thigh. You can still tech chase from a forward tilt, but you need to be extremely precise.

I think her aerials are pretty good overall, nothing wrong with them and her acceleration on the air, together with her bombs make her pretty agile and difficult to hit. Her recovery is also good so I wouldn't change that.

To be honest, I think the only defining thing that would change Samus from a low tier to a solid mid tier, is a kill set up from one of her grabs, since the rest of her moves flow so well with each other. Make her grab a lot faster and her up throw being able to connect with her screw attack at high percentages and we will be set.

But that's just my opinion, there are a lot better Samus players in this same thread that know her a lot more than me.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Update is live in Europe.
I'm allready on it.

Gypsy_Panic

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2079-7237-7012
We're still trash. At least from what ive tested. Everything feels exactly the same as before. RIP Samus.

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
We're still trash. At least from what ive tested. Everything feels exactly the same as before. RIP Samus.
If this is the case then I'm done. I'm not buying the next Smash or Nintendos next system. If they want to keep crapping on Metroid, fine. It's the main franchise I like from them and if they're just going to constantly treat it like a joke, then they don't want my money. Which is fine, they don't have to pander to me. I just don't have to give them any more money, either. I do wish they'd try to push Metroid with Smash as much as they do with FE this gen. If Ridley, Dark Samus, or a Metroid itself were playable maybe that'd drum up interest for the franchise? Nah, give 'em more Fire Emblem.

I'll wait and see for more in depth testing but if there isn't any noticible differences then that's that. Even just making her attacks not whiff would be nice, but the dash attack still misses things right in front of her so I doubt they bothered. Too bad Samus isn't a Fire Emblem rep, huh?

PStoken

Smash Rookie
NNID
Token31
Hey amigos, guess we're the grieving thread now, at least we're free from hope.

NamelessHunter

Smash Cadet
User was warned for this post
Jeez, stop overreacting people. It's just a videogame.
**** you too buddy. You come into a forum for dedicated fans of said video game and day that ****? It IS a big deal to us. If you can't understand that then you probably shouldn't be here.

Squaddle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gaulderdash
I think fair might have a larger hitbox? And the later hitboxes of up-tilt may send airborne enemies more horizontally now?

but yeah nothing dramatic seems to have changed, bummer.

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
Just did some quick testing and yeah not much seems to have changed. No kill throw, no kill confirms off a throw. End lag on grab might be slightly faster now? Unsure. Still can't charge charge shot in the air. Down smash still isn't a kill move. Down throw angle is the same. Doesn't seem to be any immediately noticeable changes.

I got some weird results with jabs though. In training mode it was actually registering as a true 2-hit combo about half the time but it wasn't consistent. And at about 100% jab 1 pushes them too far away for jab 2 to connect at all.

Last edited:

XxBlazingSpeedxX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XBlazingSpeedX
I almost wanna say she has slightly less end lag on some of her moves but that could just be a placebo effect. Haha

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Z-Air beats corrin's fully charged shot. :)

Last edited:

Rebel13

Banned via Warnings
White_Pointer White_Pointer

I noticed the same changes. Pivot grab in particular seems to have a lot less lag (though still very laggy, lol). Jab is acting really strange, not sure if it's better or worse or just entirely placebo.......

Ometeotl

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zurdo
**** you too buddy. You come into a forum for dedicated fans of said video game and day that ****? It IS a big deal to us. If you can't understand that then you probably shouldn't be here.
Well that's not very nice. I'm also dissapointed since I've been using Samus since December of 2014, but insulting me won't change anything. Chill down and keep playing as her if you like Samus or change if you think you need to, no need to act like this.

Doeboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Scottzar
It's definitely pretty frustrating to see nothing major changed about Samus... by the looks of it, we either have some very minor frame data/damage buffs or we got nothing.

Probably placebo but I felt like her nair might have finished sooner, like the whole move was sped up.

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
This probably doesn't include changes like mobility, end lag and other base stat changes, but it gives a good indication of what's been done. Unfortunately no Samus files appear in this diff (so it doesn't seem like there are any hitbox/damage changes or anything like that), but that doesn't necessarily mean she hasn't been changed elsewhere. Still, it's not looking good.

https://gist.github.com/shinyquagsire23/959d3f09a7bdc3cb89ce

You can see though that a number of characters have received changes, notably Sheik and ZSS. Bowser, Bowser Jr, Roy, Little Mac, Charizard, Lucina, Falco, Fox, Kirby, Dark Pit, Zelda, Ike, Captain Falcon, Toon Link, Cloud, Donkey Kong, Diddy, Yoshi, Wii Fit, ROB, Rosalina and Dedede all appear to have changes of some kind too. What those changes are exactly, we don't know yet. Some of them could be simple cosmetic things that don't affect gameplay at all for all we know. Ryu, Shulk and the Mii fighters look like they've had visual changes (that may or may not mean stuff like hurtboxes have changed).

Guess we'll need to wait for the data miners to find out more.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
lol guys, when will you learn. samus is stuck being trash. its her destiny

regularkid123

Smash Cadet
User was warned for this post
I Feel Kinda Bad For Samus mains I mean They Wait Update after Update For some Buffs and they never get them But at the same time i cant stop Laughing at everyone that was really surprised that she didnt get any buffs This time Either

Ometeotl

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zurdo
I Feel Kinda Bad For Samus mains I mean They Wait Update after Update For some Buffs and they never get them But at the same time i cant stop Laughing at everyone that was really surprised that she didnt get any buffs This time Either
Well you gotta learn how to play with her even if she's not the best. People call her trash but in the right hands she is as competent as any other character. I still can't believe she is that low in the tier list when she has better results than other characters higher than her.

D

Deleted member 269706

Well you gotta learn how to play with her even if she's not the best. People call her trash but in the right hands she is as competent as any other character. I still can't believe she is that low in the tier list when she has better results than other characters higher than her.
Yeah she's really not as bad as people make her out to be. If I'm not mistaken, among the UK's top 15 players, there are two Samus's. One of which is a secondary but that's still amazing.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Sheik, ZSS and Rosalina have slightly less weight.

So Rosalina will die even earlier from our OoS U-Smash. I see the Rosalina matchup in our favour even more now.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Charging feels weird, almost ... longer... you dont think they nerfed the cs?

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Well in anycase i guess we wait for the miners to return from their cave. That is if this site doesnt come crashing down again. I mean goodness, all night ive been trying to use the boards but it kept crashing hard.

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
Was this confirmed to be the last patch or do you guys think there will be one more after Corrin and Bayonetta to do final balances?

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Was this confirmed to be the last patch or do you guys think there will be one more after Corrin and Bayonetta to do final balances?
We can pray for that, but something tells me were just doomed. Oh well, itll be all the more satisfying to beat people and their mighty easybake top tiers with Samus.

MegaBlaster1234

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Srib64
I'm just waiting to hear what DungeonMaster has to say about this patch. That and the release of his video.

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
So yeah, confirmed that Samus has no changes. She's exactly as she was.

Sigh.

Squaddle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gaulderdash
There will probably be a balance patch (or two, at most) for any minor tweaks bayonetta and corrin might need but we probably wont be receiving anything special. The balance team thinks samus is fine, based on the lack of changes the past two patches, so don't get your hopes up.

Doeboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Scottzar
I made the mistake of getting my hopes up this time around... I hardly even feel like playing the game anymore.

Roy of Pharae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4442-1640-3373
Samus doesn't seem different. it's bs that Link got a speed buff I think

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
MegaBlaster1234 said:
I'm just waiting to hear what DungeonMaster has to say about this patch. That and the release of his video.
Well I doubt we'll ever get any basic quality of life adjustments from patches at this point. The design team have had a full year, if they wanted Samus to be able to fight on a even foot in a projectile war, i.e. a 45 frame basic missile, that would have happened. They did it to :4greninja:.
All of the other obvious tweeks that would make her inherently better have been ignored and given to other characters. They feel underlying broken characters like shiek, rosa, ZSS can be "fixed" by a weight adjustment, which is like putting a band-aid in the wrong spot.

I haven't looked at the entire patch details, and barely played the new characters last evening, I worked all evening on my video and I'm pushing again this weekend hard to get it out.
I found no small measure of raw cruelty in giving Corrin a combo f-air when quite literally that's all the Marth players have ever asked for. They just want to do one combo, not even the ken combo, just one, and they give it to the upstart. That's just cruel, no other word for it, it's not balance. So, you know, you're dealing with an ***-hole.
Bayo's d-smash kill at the edge is pretty insane but aside from that the character has tons of flaws first pass.

I checked for hitstun buffs, I don't see any, we're still locked out of a proper aerial d-air tree. I really can't stand the man for that decision alone, but that's besides the point.
I checked for a few basic combo ranges, don't see any difference. Maybe 1-2% here or there but I attribute that to my own timing getting better, not the game.

I'm still in the minority that this is in fact, a great character and I'm still having fun. My frustration at not seeing basic buffs is quashed by the realization that there's an intricate system behind the character and frankly it's still the best fun to be had in the game. I'm approaching that zen moment of peace where things fall into place and even the 16 frame grab and d-air that floats straight through the target hurtbox doesn't upset me. I would love to see them changed but so long as there are no nerfs, I'm fine with Samus as she stands.

Last edited:

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
I would love to see them changed but so long as there are no nerfs, I'm fine with Samus as she stands.
Wow. I was about to say I was gonna quit this game entirely (and not just because of our lack of buffs), but this optimistic comment from one of Samus' loudest critics has made me reconsider my actions for a second.

But only for a second.

regularkid123

Smash Cadet
Warned By a Mod thats a samus main Why does that not surprise me...and Warning me for "Flaming" Yeah Ok

Last edited:

S.P.A.D.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lavama
I can't say I'm surprised but I can safely say I'm kind of disappointed.

Maybe something'll change next patch, who knows. Maybe we haven't found that secret hidden ultra technique that involves moving the control stick 25 degrees to the center during a dodge or something.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Warned By a Mod thats a samus main Why does that not surprise me...and Warning me for "Flaming" Yeah Ok
To be fair to the mod i found your post completely unecessary and rude to be honest. im quite surprised we all ignored its pety childish contents. In other words, go complain to someone who cares, your wasting your words on us.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Dreamland 0% to Death & RAR tether ledge Trump still works so Samus didn't get nerfed but is stronger than a few weeks ago simply because our meta got a small boost.

It also works on Corrin and its even easier to perform on Bayonetta.

Last edited:
Top Bottom