• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Patch 1.1.3

TimG57867

Smash Ace
I still wont lose to any kirby ever, but this does help him a lot in certain matchups.

Honestly, its a very preliminary observation, but we might beat sheik now
At the very least we almost undoubtedly go even with her now. One of our main isuues in the matchup was that we generally needed to land raw Smash attacks to get the kill. Now we just have to get a good combo on her at the start, take her needles, play the neutral until she's in death percent, and grab which will also now be more practical as our improved running speed will let us punish her for stuff we weren't fast enough to catch before.

Drig786

Smash Journeyman
NNID
i-DRIG-i
Loving the U-throw buff, it was a much needed buff and killing couldn't have been easier

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I played a bunch of matches with my friends cloud yesterday

I feel like with kirbys low percent combos, invincible up smash and the incredible ease of gimping this character its a good matchup for him. The sword zones him out hard but kirby can effectively avoid most of his moves and set ups since hes so small and so light and has multiple jumps. But because hes so light, finishing touch, limit break cross slash and f smash can all kill him stupidly early. Stealing his power doesnt do much, since limit charge forces us to approach anyway

Im going to be playing this character a lot more in tournament now. The run speed buff helps a lot for the mario matchup.

And the run speed buff makes his perfect pivot better too. This character ive said is bad every since the game came out, but i dont think i can say that anymore

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Is the pivot distance better? I've tried it, but haven't been able to directly compare. It didn't look noticeably larger.

Also, I made a video for Mewtwo/Kirby's runspeed changes, and honestly the changes appear to be smaller than I'd expected for Kirby:

Dessa

Smash Journeyman
Also, I made a video for Mewtwo/Kirby's runspeed changes, and honestly the changes appear to be smaller than I'd expected for Kirby:
Nnnnng, another good song from ff7 left out of smash! Part of me wishes that there was a Smash 4 mod that enabled things like expanded tracklists and removed stage hazards, but then I just know people would start trying to add L-Cancelling and wavedashing and ruin everything.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
I know! I think I might've worded this not so well. Maybe I exagerated a little bit, but I said it more on the mood of the lastest patch (1.1.1) in which people thought Kirby was hit very hard by the Shield Stun changes. I mean, he got more mobility now. Still slow in the air, but now he can be more of a threat!

In my opinion being patient against Cloud is a must. Mainly against his Limit Breaks, in which a Shield must be ready. I think I was hit by Finishing Touch like three times on those two days mostly against Clouds... many of them aren't that good (with him), but I was pretty close to the hitbox. Its lag is no comparison to the KO Punch (if it misses), but it is way safer to avoid, at least in my opinion.
Still on the Cloud matchup but speaking of his projectile, it is pretty good against Shields. I found that Down-tilt "clashes" with Blade Beam. So, if you don't want to have part of your Shield lost, here is a way to keep it :p It's laggy as heck so Cloud shouldn't be able to punish you. But it demands timing!
I have the luck that the best player of my country (Oblivion) has been using a lotta cloud and playing me in friendlies and I gotta say that the matchup is a little bit too volatile for my taste. Each character can just **** each other up so bad if the opportunities present itself that both usually need to be extremely pacient.

Also, Cloud keeps stage control pretty strongly once he gets some juggling going on us with how decent his horizontal air movility is... Then again we can always dair his up B or hell, dtilt him trip off ledge to a fair on certain percentages and get him killed so yeah.

It is an even but extremely volatile MU as of now imo, and as such... not necessarily very fun to play lol

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Cloud can get down bd if he reaches too hard for an up air.

Personally i like it a lot. If you commit to not getting hit by finishing touch you will force him to burn lb on other lesser options. Also, put cloud off stage and always cover the high recovery option, because if you force him to up b, dair will beat it cleanly and take the stock every single time. Either you kill him free or he has to bburn LB to snap to the ledge.

Its funny because cloud is really good at juggling but really bad at landing, which makes him play like hes in his own game, when he hits you, its his turn and he gets to chase and juggle you and rack major damage. But when its your turn its YOUR turn and you get to body him for being in the air fter the first hit

Last edited:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Also doing a little labbing

First off, i dont know why but if you start an up throw in training mode onnthe top platform the cpu will die earlier than if you start is from the ground and land on a platform. I dont know if the cpu is di ing differently after certain part of the move or what the deal is or why but thats a thing, so when testing up throw from the round on to a platform, so youll get the later percents (we want to KNOW this will kill when we get it) and because ground to platform is the most common scenario in which we will be getting these platform up throws.

On fox on bf, up throw will kill at 115 if you initiate on the top platform, but not until 121 if you do it from the base and land on the top platform. If you know why, lemme know.

Up throw on top bf platform kills fox at 121
Kills ike at 145

Up throw on dl64 top platform kills fox at 109
Kills ike at 130

For some reason, when i do this, the kb of the computer opponent looks like they are inputting optimal di, they fly up at roughly at 50 degree angle. Where as when i do this on smashville, the opponent flies up at about 80 degrees.

Never the less, ike doesnt die on up throw to platform until 148

That said, i believe it is illadvised to take anyone mobile of hard to hit to sv, fd, or bf if you are planning on your up throw being your main killing tool in a particular matchup

breadstick24

Smash Rookie
Kirby has always been good at tacking on percent. Once he gets going the opponent tends to rack up damage pretty quickly. It's undoubtedly one of his strong suits, I don't think anyone here will argue with that. Now we have (finally) been given the U-throw Kirby deserves. One of our biggest weaknesses (safely finishing high damage opponents) has been addressed. Frankly, I spend half of my matches as Kirby fighting the opponent when they're above 100%. Getting them there is easy and now we can KILL them there.

We can take our enemy to space, introduce them to the ground, and then watch them go to space again.

Nothing else was needed in this patch.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I'm still open for a dash attack and air speed to help his huge issues in midrange, but beyond that, I'm pretty content with how Kirby is now.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Don't forget Final Cutter. There's no reason for Kirby to have such a dysfunctional special. A couple frame data buffs on the aerials and Up Smash wouldn't hurt either.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Don't forget Final Cutter. There's no reason for Kirby to have such a dysfunctional special. A couple frame data buffs on the aerials and Up Smash wouldn't hurt either.
I don't see how anyone could buff final cutter if it can be powershield punished on reaction

TimG57867

Smash Ace
I don't see how anyone could buff final cutter if it can be powershield punished on reaction
That's WHY it needs to be buffed. Lol

Less startup and end lag would do it and restoring the projectile's range would make it perfect.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Kinda wish the spike on cutter had the angle slightly changed, so it could drag people offstagewhen i hit people at the edge of the stage, and the rising hitbox needsto be more active. The height and ledge snapping arent really an issue cus he actually grabs it from a fair amount below the stage with the top of his up b.
Id alsolike the shock wave to be bigger like the buff to megamans up air, and go out farther so it can be used as a legitimate projectile sometimes.
Or let it grab the stage backwards.

Any one or 2 of those things would be great

Last edited:
Top Bottom