• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Patch 1.1.3

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
So the patch has already unveiled a ton of changes for Kirby. Real question though, how much does it actually affect our Star Warrior in the metagame? Let's theorycraft, gentlemen.

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
So far the changes are mostly 1-2 KB increases to moves so those moves should KO slightly earlier but won't have a significant change on Kirby's metagame. However, Uthrow got a pretty nice KB growth buff (finally!) so that'll be a much more noticeable boost in KO power. I think it'll KO between 10-20% sooner.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Well, another thing to note as well would be the added hitlag on the third hit of fair. Could open up new shield pressure opportunities.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
They better find more stuff lol. I dont really care about the customs. And I want to find their reasoning for increasing KBG by like 1-2 lol. Uncharged hammer still weak AF. Fair hitlag seems interesting.

And if that late hit of Bair KBG somehow affects Bair reset ima be upset.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Any more reliability for kills is great. Off a grab? Even better. We're gonna enjoy platform stages a lot more.

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
Meta Knight's Up Throw is 70 BKB and 70 KBG. It KOs Mario at 172% on FD without rage.

Kirby's Up Throw is now 75 BKB and 74 KBG. Pre-patch it KO'd Mario around 180% on FD without rage. Now it'll probably KO around 165-170% I'm guessing.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Lucas' Upthrow has 78 BKB and 69 KBG, so im gonna assume Kirby's up throw will be around this knockback or slightly stronger... just for visual reference.

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
Oh damn, it's a much bigger KO % buff than I thought.

From the Patch notes discussion thread:
Kirby uthrow buff changes its kill percent from 191% to 160% against Mario on 3DS FD.
Keep in mind that 3DS blast zones are bigger than on Wii U (Uthrow Pre-patch KOs at 180% on FD on the Wii U).

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace

Keep in mind that 3DS blast zones are bigger than on Wii U (Uthrow Pre-patch KOs at 180% on FD on the Wii U).
Oh..mah..gosh this is like...soooo huge.. Finally taking stocks easier because it was generally one of kirbys problems but seriously this is soooooooo helpful now(the blast zones on 3DS is bigger and it KOs at 160 on that without rage?
HURRY UP DUMB SCHOOL I NEED TO SEE THIS.

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
I hope that calculation is correct. It's a game-changer for Kirby and was one of the buffs he needed most. It's about as strong as R.O.B's Up Throw now if it KOs at 160% on 3DS FD.

Can't wait till the patch goes live to try this out. It has me more hyped than potential DLC characters. :4kirby:

Last edited:

Quarium

Smash Journeyman

31% percent less? That's is outrageous! I've been asking for an upthrow buff ever since like november 2014 I WILL BE SO HAPPY IF THIS IS TRUE.

PLEASE, Daddy Sakurai! Make this the BEST holidays for Kirby mains!!

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Comparing it to my old data, U-Throw will kill at around 105% with Max Rage on Final Destination, Wii U blast zones

I don't know how DI will affect this or how actual plausible Rage does with it, though.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Making it around ROB's KB was exactly where I wanted it to be.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
The gist I'm getting is that Kirby's Up Throw will now practically be about as strong as Lucas's. Now if references are what we need, Nintendo Unity made a video following 1.10 which stacked up the strongest Up Throw's in the game when rage isn't a factor.They used default Mii Brawler who's two points heavier than Mario on FD and has a falling speed of 1.7 versus Mario's 1.5 which gives all round greater vertical endurance.

Looking at their numbers and considering the percents :4rob: and :4lucas:'s killed without rage, our new Up Throw should be killing :4mario: between 140-160% on the Wii U! (Correct me if I flubbed anything). Naturally, this should also make our matchups against floaties, :4lucario:, and lightweights better as well. In any case, shields shouldn't be a big obstacle for us any longer!

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
The gist I'm getting is that Kirby's Up Throw will now practically be about as strong as Lucas's. Now if references are what we need, Nintendo Unity made a video following 1.10 which stacked up the strongest Up Throw's in the game when rage isn't a factor.They used default Mii Brawler who's two points heavier than Mario on FD and has a falling speed of 1.7 versus Mario's 1.5 which gives all round greater vertical endurance.

Looking at their numbers and considering the percents :4rob: and :4lucas:'s killed without rage, our new Up Throw should be killing :4mario: between 145-160% on the Wii U! (Correct me if I flubbed anything). Naturally, this should also make our matchups against floaties, :4lucario:, and lightweights better as well. In any case, shields shouldn't be a big obstacle for us any longer!
YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW IF JIGGLYPUFF, DUCK HUNT, AND DEDEDE GET BUFFED (Buffs added whne the patch is released) IT WILL BE A MIRACLE!!!

|RK|

Smash Marketer

Looking at their numbers and considering the percents :4rob: and :4lucas:'s killed without rage, our new Up Throw should be killing :4mario: between 145-160% on the Wii U! (Correct me if I flubbed anything). Naturally, this should also make our matchups against floaties, :4lucario:, and lightweights better as well. In any case, shields shouldn't be a big obstacle for us any longer!
And on platforms... hehe

EDIT: I think this is a much bigger buff than some think. Huge damage racking potential combined with a much safer kill option? In customs, Kirby will be amazing. In vanilla, he just lost one of his greatest struggles. Back to high-mid? Lol

Last edited:

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
Now why did my scene randomly ban the Duck Hunt stage? It's way too sad. Oh well, everyone just picks Battlefield here, so I guess I can net in some U-Throw KOs on the top platform there.

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
Update is now live.

Up Throw KOs Mario from the center of FD at 148% (Wii U). Was 180% pre-patch.

Top-tier here we come :4kirby:

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Update is now live.

Up Throw KOs Mario from the center of FD at 148% (Wii U). Was 180% pre-patch.

Top-tier here we come :4kirby:
I am just glad people will now stop ignorantly putting Kirby at bottom 10 of their tier lists. LOL

But man, our Up Throw is now (probably) one of the 5 strongest in the game! This is definitely some massive and much needed progress. I bet Mike Kirby, Triple R, and all the other high level Kirby's will benefit a lot from this as shields and enemy rage were always a thorn in our sides. Well that's one flaw that's now a thing of the past!

Now if they could just forget the silly Hammer and make Final Cutter viable.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
Kirby's U-Throw now kills at 158% on FD with DI (148% without). On the other hand, it kills at 132% with DI on Battlefields top platform (123% without). Duck Hunt is pretty fun haha. On the top tree it kills at 86% with DI and
78% without!

All of this was on Mario.

EDIT: It kills on FD at at least 125% with max rage. Maybe sooner.

Last edited:

TimG57867

Smash Ace
I

I currently main Pikachu (after dropping Megaman), will Kirby benefit me?
If you still struggle against :4sheik: probably. Especially now with this Up Throw buff because now we just need to get a grab on her to take her out at kill percent. And considering she's light she'll probably die to it by 130%. Speaking of which, can someone get the kill percent on Sheik.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
How much stronger is the new Upthrow than Marth/Mewtwo's? Because I know that one killed reliably at 150%~ on most stages though it's by no way a selling point for the character. Guessing Kirby's is way better, for all the hype it's getting. I know it's at least easier to land on platforms with it because of the jump.

If Kirby i KOing at 150%~ with no Rage... Can't imagine how good it is at like 100%.

EDIT: Upon checking frame data, realized it's stronger than Mewtwo's... So it's one of the strongest in the game now?

Last edited:

Poupoko

Smash Cadet
Christmas came early! Exactly what I wanted and a bit more too!

Did a bit of playtesting, our new U-throw definitely helps with one of Kirby's main problems, but still requires putting in some effort (which is a good thing). We reliably KO about 20% earlier, so that still means getting them up to around 145-ish. Don't know if that's just the 3DS stage bounds making a huge difference though...

Last edited:

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Tested this in matches now and OMG, On Dreamland's top platform it just kills at like 120% Or earlier. Character like Sheik can't even afford to get grabbed after 100% is Kirby has some rage... It's hilarious how early this kills now.

Last edited:

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Christmas came early! Exactly what I wanted and a bit more too!

Did a bit of playtesting, our new U-throw definitely helps with one of Kirby's main problems, but still requires putting in some effort (which is a good thing). We reliably KO about 20% earlier, so that still means getting them up to around 145-ish. Don't know if that's just the 3DS stage bounds making a huge difference though...
For Mario on 3DS FD, the Up Throw killed at 191% prior to the buff and now kills 160% it. For Wii U, simply cut 11% from both numbers. Assuming that we regularly get taken to higher percents while racking up damage on foe just as well, we'll probably be able to generally kill around 130-150% on most foes without platforms assuming we don't die first. Finally, we can now be rewarded for outplaying our opponent rather than tacking on tons of percent with no idea what to do until we get cheated by rage. Can't wait to start labbing different characters.

Tested this in matches now and OMG, On Dreamland's top platform it just kills at like 120% Or earlier. Character like Sheik can't even afford to get grabbed after 100% is Kirby has some rage... It's hilarious how early this kills now.
Looks like Dreamland and Town and City will be become potent counterpicks for us...

Last edited:

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
this character might actually be good now :O

all that's left is to make hammer and n-air not be useless trash

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
I think Nair is decently fine, onstage at least.
hammer is just for punishing shield breaks, that's all.
FC can be very good with just a tad few changes.

Top Bottom