• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Patch 1.1.1

Furret24

Smash Master
Since the next update is coming soon, I thought we should have a thread where we talk about what changes we hope Meta Knight gets. We can also keep track of any confirmed changes by noting them here.

Buff

Nerfs

Ulevo

Smash Master
The only changes Meta Knight needs are the fix to his RCO bug on Shuttle Loop. The best buffs we could realistically expect for this patch is nerfs to Sheik and a new stage to play on that gives us more selection.

There are game mechanic changes I would like to see that would help the character, but at this point I doubt we will see those.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Bear in mind this may not even be a balance patch. It could well be just the new stage and a couple of bugfixes. Also I agree with Ulevo in that I doubt we will get changes, MK is in a good spot right now in terms of balance. In any case:

Realistic direct buffs I would like
  • Fair endlag or landing lag reduction
  • Lag install fixes
Realistic indirect buffs I would like
  • Sheik nerf
  • ZSS nerf?
  • Slight Luigi nerf
  • Slight Luma nerf
Apart from that I would just like buffs & fixes to bad characters. We certainly don't need nerfing, we're not OP.

Unrealistic buffs I want

Frame 3 Nair ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Increased Ftilt and Dtilt range ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Projectile jab ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sakurai pls ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Buff MK in a way where dittos are fun. lol MK players loved dittos in Brawl, but hate them in Smash 4.

Gemba Board

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I'm pretty sure we want what every other character wants: a sheik nerf. And not more knockback and damage nerfs, but frame data nerfs. Like landing lag and startup/endlag nerfs. The way it is now, a novice could combo for days with little effort.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
The only move of Shiek's that might deserve a frame data nerf is the speed of her needle charge since that move obliterates the neutral game of at least half the roster. If they nerf her needles, get rid of the windbox to vanish, and the hitbox for when she reappears from vanish, she would be fine IMO. For everything she has in this game, it's strange they decided to give her a godlike recovery that is so hard to punish. Ideally I would much rather have everyone buffed to Shiek's level than to just nerf Shiek, but that's not going to happen.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Other than a universal get up attack nerf and a ****ty up b custom buff. Nothing changed, Sheik wasn't nerfed either. ****s sake man.

Luigi got ****ed, not an MU we struggle with but GG.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
On the bright side, people complaining about Uair combos were either not noticed or ignored. It appears we're in a good spot. All the custom changes are likely Sakurai trying to get us to consider giving customs another chance.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
At least timing out Luigi got easier. Considering its something I have to do kinda regularly, I'm okay with this.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Aside from a buff to a completely useless custom that we would have never used anyway, Meta Knight appears to be unchanged as most of us predicted.

Something to note: Shield stun has been increased universally. This is going to benefit some characters more than others. This could be quite useful to us.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
Aside from a buff to a completely useless custom that we would have never used anyway, Meta Knight appears to be unchanged as most of us predicted.

Something to note: Shield stun has been increased universally. This is going to benefit some characters more than others. This could be quite useful to us.
Mm, I do not see how it will be incredibly useful. Our main confirms on shield, being down air and dash attack, are already difficult to punish on block when spaced or crossed up correctly. Mach Tornado and jab still cannot lock opponents in shield.

What I will mention however is if Yoshi could not already do it before, his down air now cannot be rolled or acted out of if he hits the shield. This makes one of our less than desirable match ups more difficult.

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
It's mind-boggling just how much safety we received this patch. MK's biggest issue in neutral has always been that the only answer he had to shields was dash grab... we don't have that issue anymore. Here's a table of notable moves that were affected by this. Calculations done based on @Shaya's shield stun formula of [floor](damage/1.8)+3

Move|Shield Stun|Landing Lag/FAF(Relative to Hitbox Frame)|FAF relative to shieldstun|FAF relative to time it takes to drop shield|Possible Applications
Nair | 8 Frames | 16 Frames | Minus 8 Frames | Plus 2 Frames | Cross up Nair to Grab is unpunishable without a breversed upb OOS or very wide hitbox upsmash OOS.
Fair | 4 Frames | 20 Frames | Minus 16 Frames | Minus 6 Frames | Simple, direct buff. Max spaced the pushback makes fair safe on block versus most characters.
Dtilt | 5 Frames | 19 Frames | Minus 11 Frames | Minus 1 Frame | This move is already fantastic. Using it on shield now means that unless your opponent has a fast OOS option, they need a 4 frame or better move after shield drop to not get dtilt-ed again, and get tripped.
Dash Attack 1/2/3 | 6/6/5 Frames | 32/31-29/28 Frames | Minus 19/18-16/16 | Minus 9/8-6/6 | Another straight-up improvement. Dash Attack through shield is basically unpunishable.
F-Smash | 11 Frames | 18 Frames | Minus 7 Frames | PLUS THREE FRAMES | Holy ****. Buffered dtilt comes out at the same time as shield drop animation finishing.

Everything else just got safer in general. Our neutral game is so much better now. Now we have 5 great moves (including Dash Grab) to use in neutral instead of just 2. Looking forward to abusing this stuff.

Edit: Added fsmash.

Last edited:

akidnamedrios

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2036-7964-0882
It's mind-boggling just how much safety we received this patch. MK's biggest issue in neutral has always been that the only answer he had to shields was dash grab... we don't have that issue anymore. Here's a table of notable moves that were affected by this. Calculations done based on @Shaya's shield stun formula of [floor](damage/1.8)+3

Move|Shield Stun|Landing Lag (Relative to Hitbox Frame)/FAF|FAF relative to shieldstun|FAF relative to time it takes to drop shield|Possible Applications
Nair | 8 Frames | 16 Frames | Minus 8 Frames | Plus 2 Frames | Cross up Nair to Grab is unpunishable without a breversed upb OOS or very wide hitbox upsmash OOS.
Fair | 4 Frames | 20 Frames | Minus 16 Frames | Minus 6 Frames | Simple, direct buff. Max spaced the pushback makes fair safe on block versus most characters.
Dtilt | 5 Frames | 19 Frames | Minus 11 Frames | Minus 1 Frame | This move is already fantastic. Using it on shield now means that unless your opponent has a fast OOS option, they need a 4 frame or better move after shield drop to not get dtilt-ed again, and get tripped.
Dash Attack 1/2/3 | 6/6/5 Frames | 32/31-29/28 Frames | Minus 19/18-16/16 | Minus 9/8-6/6 | Another straight-up improvement. Dash Attack through shield is basically unpunishable.

Everything else just got safer in general. Our neutral game is so much better now. Now we have 5 great moves (including Dash Grab) to use in neutral instead of just 2. Looking forward to abusing this stuff.
Do the four frames or better moves apply to everything or just moves that result in tripping?

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Do the four frames or better moves apply to everything or just moves that result in tripping?
Dtilt comes out in 3 frames so you can get a second dtilt 4 frames after shield drop animation completes. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
Amadeus with a good post!? What did you do with the real Amadeus!?

Real talk though, great post! Now our neutral is more than dash attack and dash grab!

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
wtf I was not expecting this
this shield stun change gets an A+ from me #BuffCity (I'm just saying this based on Amadeus's post, don't have the game rn.)

Last edited:

akidnamedrios

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2036-7964-0882
I've seen what that shield mechanic change can do. It's easy to break shields especially if you're by the ledge with Lucario using aura sphere, you can't get out of it.

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081

Move|Shield Stun|Landing Lag/FAF(Relative to Hitbox Frame)|FAF relative to shieldstun|FAF relative to time it takes to drop shield|Possible Applications
F-Smash | 11 Frames | 18 Frames | Minus 7 Frames | PLUS THREE FRAMES | Holy ****. Buffered dtilt comes out at the same time as shield drop animation finishing.

That's really cool! So, it looks like we kinda indirectly get our SH fair buff

AmishTechnology

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KIMPHIE
Unexpected patch... Meta Knight f-air finally usable in neutral...

Ugh, and Artanis and Medic are coming out in Heroes of the Storm. Why can't this excitement wait until school semester's over!?

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Man Meta Knight's nair really needs more range and active frames. D:

Kaffei

Smash Hero

I really hope you are right about fair being safer on shield.... That's all I ever wanted ;_;

Gemba Board

Smash Apprentice
Fsmash on block is absurd... I've been following it up with just about anything for free pressure; especially with the opponents back against the ledge. I can imagine some pretty silly frame traps coming from this and dtilt.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Fsmash on block is absurd... I've been following it up with just about anything for free pressure; especially with the opponents back against the ledge. I can imagine some pretty silly frame traps coming from this and dtilt.
I love it

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
Was hoping for Nado to be even better at crushing shields but what we got is even better than what I thought. I am excited to test the changes. ;-;

Ulevo

Smash Master
Not to dismiss the benefits we have received, but this is also a detriment to our gameplay. Because of Meta Knight's limited neutral game, we have to rely on dashing into shield a lot, and relying on the shield for these purposes is not as safe to do as it was previously. We have the mobility to stay mobile in neutral, but we do not have the luxury to throw out hit boxes without making our neutral binary and predictable.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Not to dismiss the benefits we have received, but this is also a detriment to our gameplay. Because of Meta Knight's limited neutral game, we have to rely on dashing into shield a lot, and relying on the shield for these purposes is not as safe to do as it was previously. We have the mobility to stay mobile in neutral, but we do not have the luxury to throw out hit boxes without making our neutral binary and predictable.
This is why playing the neutral surgically is so important. If you play metaknight, you have to adopt salenas playstyle. He barely uses shield, just lots of movement tech to keep pressure.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
But with the new shield changes, it's basically safe on shield. And if the shields low, it could break it.

I disagree because once it gets shielded, all the shielder has to do is tilt their shield up to prevent any shield pokes and then punish MK in his massive landing lag

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Word of warning: new findings mean my numbers are completely wrong. Will fix soon.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
new findings?
Safety is variable based on when you hit shield, because shields no longer pause the minimum active frames while in hitstun. Basically everything was over estimated by about 6 frames.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Safety is variable based on when you hit shield, because shields no longer pause the minimum active frames while in hitstun. Basically everything was over estimated by about 6 frames.
i cry

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Alright guys, first time back into smash since 4 years ago.

Can someone explain to me the the "minus # frames" on shield lag?

Glad to see Shaya is still her

Top Bottom