• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Patch 1.1.1

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
As shown by them ****ing up Luigi.
Well first, Luigi is still alright. He's just lacking in kill setups now.

One interesting thing about Rosalina though is that if we go by matchup spreads, she's kinda around 15th on the tier list. the only reason she approaches top 5 is because of results. Sakurai most likely could not care less about results and only looks at matchup spreads. this combined with the fact that she's not the greatest in FFA most likely is what causes Sakurai to not nerf her.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
He's lacking in KO power in general. Unless he can land a smash attack, he might as well walk off and end it quickly now that he has no way of reliably killing.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
He's lacking in KO power in general. Unless he can land a smash attack, he might as well walk off and end it quickly now that he has no way of reliably killing.
Check this: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Rosalina_&_Luma_(SSB4) and go to the update section, check the list of nerfs, complaining about 1 setup is nothing like all moves are giving less knockback, including most KO moves.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

One interesting thing about Rosalina though is that if we go by matchup spreads, she's kinda around 15th on the tier list. the only reason she approaches top 5 is because of results. Sakurai most likely could not care less about results and only looks at matchup spreads. this combined with the fact that she's not the greatest in FFA most likely is what causes Sakurai to not nerf her.
The match up ratings on these boards are very off base though, and underrate her in a lot of cases.

Partly because most Rosalina players over-prioritise defense, which makes some MUs bad for her when they could be very easy.

Which is why the dodge roll nerf and shield nerf makes me happy. They encourage more offensive play, and Rosalina (and Sheik) get the best benefit out of the universal shield nerf. A lot of her offensive tools are simply god-like now.

I personally think Rosalina is the best in the game in terms of raw potential (especially after her buffs), it's just people still haven't figured her out, because they aren't playing as her, and when they do, they play with too much of a flowchart (even though Rosalina is one of the least flowcharty characters in the game - baffles me why people can't see that).

I'm fine with Sheik being above her on a tier list though, since she's much easier to master and she is played way more often. I'd probably be fine with Pikachu being above her on a tier list too, though I'm still not fully decided.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Check this: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Rosalina_&_Luma_(SSB4) and go to the update section, check the list of nerfs, complaining about 1 setup is nothing like all moves are giving less knockback, including most KO moves.
Not the same thing. If Luma got knockback nerfs on all of his moves, or if Rosalins got damage nerfs on all of hers, then it'd be different. She'd be loosing the thing that makes her what she is, with no compensation. Luma is already naturally strong, and Rosalina naturally deals a lot of damage, they didn't go out of their way to take that away from them, like they did with Luigi, taking away all of his grab options. To summarize, down throw was Luigi's Luma. Luigi's Luma now goes to spend the night by his friend whenever Luigi's opponent gets to 80%.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I honestly thought the Luigi D-throw nerf was warranted. I haven't really ever fell victim to the D-throw before, but I do think it was a an overly easy KO option. And I mean, the fact it still works until 80% is impressive, not many other characters have that with any of the throws.

He should probably get something as compensation, something that's more fair and less broken, but that D-throw wasn't right the way it was. It was basically no different to the infamous Hoo-Hah. Yes, Luigi has a harder time getting grabs than Diddy, but it was still too good and the fact the Luigi's constantly went for it could make him boring to fight.

Mr. Bulldops

Smash Rookie
Can someone explain something to me? Everyone is talking about Luma attacking during the grab, but what's different? It could always do that. Even after the first Wii U patch, the only change was that Luma couldn't attack when Rosalina was being thrown. It could still attack when she was grabbed and during pummels. What's different now?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Can someone explain something to me? Everyone is talking about Luma attacking during the grab, but what's different? It could always do that. Even after the first Wii U patch, the only change was that Luma couldn't attack when Rosalina was being thrown. It could still attack when she was grabbed and during pummels. What's different now?
I think people were just mistaken. It's always been a common misconception that Luma had his ability to attack while Rosalina was grabbed stripped from him, when that never happened. It was just during throws (and even then, buffering an attack just before the throw starts is still doable).

Unless I also fail to understand something here.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I seriously hope people will start mixing up their Rosalina play more now, rather than sticking to pure defense all of the time. There is no excuse not to, Rosalina is one of the characters that has benefited the most from the new shield stun mechanics.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
So I've seen a shield break with a ledge cancelled Luma spin to Fsmash. Are there any others?

Edit: Providing we get a shield break at lower percents, what would be the best follow up?

Last edited:

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Finally, we might be able to get the wand windbox kill!
EDIT: tested, and atleast shiek does automaticly grab the edge, so it would probably be mostly useful on smashvilleplatform, making it even more situational

Last edited:

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Finally, we might be able to get the wand windbox kill!
EDIT: tested, and atleast shiek does automaticly grab the edge, so it would probably be mostly useful on smashvilleplatform, making it even more situational
So they recover from shield break when they fall now? In the old days I was able to break yoshis shield and knock him off the edge with our wind box and he fell to his death. No go anymore?

Smasher89

Smash Lord
So they recover from shield break when they fall now? In the old days I was able to break yoshis shield and knock him off the edge with our wind box and he fell to his death. No go anymore?
Not sure, shiek did automaticly grab the edge so that might just be a ledgecancel.

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
I seriously hope people will start mixing up their Rosalina play more now, rather than sticking to pure defense all of the time. There is no excuse not to, Rosalina is one of the characters that has benefited the most from the new shield stun mechanics.
How, luma atks have less shield stun now, does that mean her atks are less safe on block. Can you punish her dtilt now?

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
How do they have less shield stun? Right now, the formula is thought to be (damage / 1.75)+2] instead of (damage/2.56).

So if a Luma's attack does 5%:

Old:
5/2.56 = 1.95 frames of shield stun

New:
5/1.75 + 2 = 4.85 frames of shield stun

Am I missing something?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Every single character in the game now deals/takes more shield stun than before as the global formula for shield stun was changed. This includes Luma's attacks. It would also most likely even effect items like the Beam Sword, Smash Run enemies, bosses, and what not.

Attacks weren't universally buffed, shields were universally nerfed. It just so happens that Rosalina and Sheik benefit the most from this change, as they can capitlise on it most. At the same time though, Sheik can actually be fought with a bit more confidence than before for a lot of characters, as they can actually safely attack her on shield now.

In fact, the shield stun in this game is even greater than Melee's now. So basically, offensive play is much more viable, and all my talk about how Rosalina players need to deviate from defense sometimes is even more warranted now than it was before, as she gets a lot of offensive utility out of these new shield mechanics, more than other characters do.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
it says it here http://www.ssbwiki.com/Rosalina_&_Luma_(SSB4) go to patch 1.1.1 update section.
I think that may be a error. All attacks got more shieldstun, not less.
I think this is the case, its an error. It doesn't make any sense if the shield stun is based off of damage that they would get less shield stun.

If that were the case, then Luma's attacks would have to do significantly less damage to have less shield stun.

If the old stands true:
5/2.56 = 1.95 frames of shield stun

Then the same attack would have to do X amount of damage to equal 1.95 with the new formula:
X/1.75 + 2 = 1.95

This would mean X would have be a -.0875 in this scenario to EQUAL the same amount of hitstun before this patch. It would actually have to be less if it were to do less shield stun.

-0.0875/1.75 + 2 = 1.95

And that's just silly. =P

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
It just so happens that Rosalina and Sheik benefit the most from this change, as they can capitlise on it most.
Sheik is a character who was already safe on shield pre-patch. Barely, but still safe. As such, these changes don't benefit her nearly as much as other characters.
On the topic of Rosalina, I know you think she is a paradigm shifter character or whatever, however just about all top level players agree that she is best played defensively. That's not to say that she doesn't have the tools to be aggressive, just that it's easier and oftentimes optimal to be defensive. As such, a shield nerf will hurt at the top level as she is used defensively there. Her attacks are safer on shield, but she's like Sheik in a sense, you weren't usually able to punish her prepatch either. The universal shield nerf will allow for some interesting Luma stuff, so I'm interested into how that will play out. Only once cool stuff is discovered will Rosalina be a winner.

The character that benefited the most is Pikachu. He has gained so much more safety, something he was lacking before. Unless I misinterpreted him, ESAM said that Pikachu's F-smash is now safe on block. That's huge. Pikachu's newly safe F-smash helps him out in killpower so much, another thing he was lacking.

Ryu was a huge winner too. You can no longer roll between the 2 hits on collarbone breaker which really helps him out just because he doesn't even have to worry about anybody shielding against him at all. If you do shield against him, his aerials are much safer. Nair in particular is positive on block which is amazing and allows for frametraps.

Some other notable ones were all projectile characters except Megaman (Robin in particular no longer has such an exploitable weakness against shield. (As a former Robin main, I can confirm that shields were tough to get by. Even with a command grab and nice followups off D-throw, terrible mobility prevented the grab from happening. The newly safer aerials help too)). I'm also hearing that ZSS is benefiting a lot from this change.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
however just about all top level players agree that she is best played defensively.
Then why do these same players lose more and more as time goes on? And why do I not see Rosalina players take any big tournaments these days?

It's because 1) the mindset is flawed and nonsensical to begin with, 2) it's counter intuitive and ignores the character's core gimmick more than it should, and 3) if every Rosalina player plays the same way all of the time regardless of the situation, then people learn to adapt to that over arching playstyle and it becomes ineffective and stale.

Paradigm shifting INCLUDES playing defensively, but only playing defensively EXCLUDES all these other kinds of options Rosalina/Luma has. I don't understand why people don't see that. It's completely illogical to actively limit yourself like that, to choose not use these other beneficial options, especially in situations where they are more appropriate than playing defensively.

Either way though, plenty of amazing benefits have already been discovered for Rosalina out of this shield stun change, and they definitely warrant toning down the raw defense.

It's like everyone agrees Rosalina is top tier, but every Rosalina player only wants to make use of a small fraction of what makes her so good.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
I saw a match on stream, might have been last weekend, where i think it were Falln destroyed i think a luigi in 1 min 21 sec or something like that, in any case that was brutal offensive play, prepatch.

Defense is good at the start right now just to learn the character, the game has only been out for a year in japan, and with constant balance changes theres lots of learning to do. The best isnt as easy as pure offense or defense, its hitting the opponent in a situation they least expect it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I saw a match on stream, might have been last weekend, where i think it were Falln destroyed i think a luigi in 1 min 21 sec or something like that, in any case that was brutal offensive play, prepatch.

Defense is good at the start right now just to learn the character, the game has only been out for a year in japan, and with constant balance changes theres lots of learning to do. The best isnt as easy as pure offense or defense, its hitting the opponent in a situation they least expect it.
That's pretty much what I mean.

I'm not trying to say Rosalina should be pure offense, but she shouldn't be pure defense either. Since she is two characters, truly mastering Rosalina & Luma entails learning their pros and cons in every context, and changing their playstyles (both individually and together) on the fly, according to the situation. I also don't think the playstyles are as black and white as just offense and defense either. The pair have many mind games and bait and punish tactics, for example.

I just call it a "Paradigm Shifting" playstyle as it a short hand term for the paragraph above. It's how I play her, because it has so many advantages (basically all of the advantages of a totally defensive playstyle, and more, such as the advantages of her offensive tools), and I feel it constantly has room for development. 100% defense for Rosalina, on the other hand, has a defined limit, and I honestly feel it has been hit a while ago.

It's good for beginners to focus on defense, but especially since the ENTIRE game will now be gearing more into offense, it's worth experimenting with non-defensive options for Rosalina for veteran players, especially now more than ever.

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
That's pretty much what I mean.

I'm not trying to say Rosalina should be pure offense, but she shouldn't be pure defense either. Since she is two characters, truly mastering Rosalina & Luma entails learning their pros and cons in every context, and changing their playstyles (both individually and together) on the fly, according to the situation. I also don't think the playstyles are as black and white as just offense and defense either. The pair have many mind games and bait and punish tactics, for example.

I just call it a "Paradigm Shifting" playstyle as it a short hand term for the paragraph above. It's how I play her, because it has so many advantages (basically all of the advantages of a totally defensive playstyle, and more, such as the advantages of her offensive tools), and I feel it constantly has room for development. 100% defense for Rosalina, on the other hand, has a defined limit, and I honestly feel it has been hit a while ago.

It's good for beginners to focus on defense, but especially since the ENTIRE game will now be gearing more into offense, it's worth experimenting with non-defensive options for Rosalina for veteran players, especially now more than ever.
I'm quite intrigued by this paradigm shifter playstyle you've brought up on multiple occasions throughout the forum. I would love to see rosalinas pick up a new playstyle that would allow her to reach new heights in power. However, with no examples of how to play as a paradigm shifter, its all a theory with no substance. Again, I am not against a change in the meta. I just would rather have an idea what I am reaching for rather than guessing what to do based off of what some random person on smash boards says. Please provide examples so that people can understand what you mean.

Last edited:

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
Watch dabuz rosalina competive guide, he even says that rosalina is a patient not "defensive" character. She design to force reaction as in use her safe moves to condition the opponent to shield, then grab then, also, use her mobility to make her hard to catch. Playing defensively is throwing out moves when the opponent approaches and using your shield a lot. But, Rosalina not only uses her shield, but also uses her speed and safe moves to force reactions. Thats how Dabuz plays her.

I think that may be a error. All attacks got more shieldstun, not less.
thats not what dabuz said, he did testing and said the luma has less shield stun, while other characters have more, including rosalina

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm quite intrigued by this paradigm shifter playstyle you've brought up on multiple occasions throughout the forum. I would love to see rosalinas pick up a new playstyle that would allow her to reach new heights in power. However, with no examples of how to play as a paradigm shifter, its all a theory with no substance. Again, I am not against a change in the meta. I just would rather have an idea what I am reaching for rather than guessing what to do based off of what some random person on smash boards says. Please provide examples so that people can understand what you mean.
The word "paradigm" literally just means "the resulting formation from when multiple people combine the same or different roles".

A character like Mario for example, is very versatile and would be considered an all-rounder of sorts. A Mario player doesn't and shouldn't play just offensively, defensively, etc, all of the time, because he is designed to change his role in the match according to the situation. But Mario is only one character - he can only really cover one playstyle at a time.

Then you have Shulk, who can literally change his stats to change his role. But each Monado Art has one specific role in mind (Shield is defense, Speed is rushdown offense and bait and punish, etc). Shulk can't really cover two roles at once either.

Rosalina is the same thing, split across two characters. Instead of just one character using one role at a given time, you have two characters that can cover two roles at the same time, so you could have Luma being used as bait and Rosalina being put on offense or vice versa (yes, there is worth in sometimes using Rosalina as bait, with Luma punishing), or can cover the same role at the same time to have, say, an impenetrable wall of defense, or to dish out tons of damage with joint attacks.

However, sticking to one paradigm at all times (in the case of most Rosalina players, a totally defensive one for both Rosalina & Luma) limits your possibilities, makes you more predictable and easier to read (especially when every other Rosalina player plays just like you), and makes certain characters more trouble than they need to be.

I don't have a specific example to give right now, but I shouldn't need one, as this is Rosalina's gimmick. This is Rosalina's Monado Arts (saying you need a video example to see why a paradigm shifting playstyle for Rosalina is best, is the equivalent to saying "prove with a video example why Shield Monado Art should be used when Shulk is at high percents, Speed should be used when I want to close in or get away quickly or perform long horizontal combos", etc). People describe Rosalina as a "puppet fighter", but that only describes her aesthetically. Puppet fighters, mechanically, are paradigm shifters. The puppet and puppeteer are two entities, and thus, can assume the same role at the same time, or different ones at the same time, in accordance with the situation.

It's literally just common sense.

Last edited:

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
It's literally just common sense.
Um. It obviously isn't. If you are the only one saying that it's a viable strat, no matter how obvious you think it is and however many times you try to explain that it's obvious, it isn't going to become less obvious for others. Again, I feel I have to explain, I know what paradigm shift if is. You've explained that portion multiple times throughout the forum. My question, and I'm sure I speak for many others, is how does one apply this. Using your monado arts analogy, while some portions are obvious (use speed to go faster, etc) others aren't so obvious. For example, using smash art (or which ever one boosts KB) at lower percents to make combos harder to do on Shulk. This is something that isn't as obvious. Now, going back to paradigm shifting, this is literally a completely different playstyle than the one people are used to. While it's simple to understand why the smash art thing works, this is a bit more confusing and needs to be shown. Perhaps I'm just a little slow on the uptake and it's only me that would like video evidence of how this plays out. But I don't believe that's true.

EDIT: also, people don't inherently know how to use the monado arts in the best way all the time. Seeing video evidence allows a player to see how much using an art over another is beneficial to their play rather than just trying to trust information that they can't find evidence of.

Last edited:

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
So what you're saying is that shield stun is not based on damage?
Here's a source. I'm not sure exactly how he tested everything since I wasn't watching his stream, but it is Dabuz so it would think it's pretty trustworthy.

As for why it happens, it's probably due to some different mechanic counteracting the universal shield stun increase. Does Luma suffer shield hitlag at all? If it doesn't, that explains this nerf since attacked and defender shield hitlag got synced this patch.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Um. It obviously isn't. If you are the only one saying that it's a viable strat, no matter how obvious you think it is and however many times you try to explain that it's obvious, it isn't going to become less obvious for others. Again, I feel I have to explain, I know what paradigm shift if is. You've explained that portion multiple times throughout the forum. My question, and I'm sure I speak for many others, is how does one apply this. Using your monado arts analogy, while some portions are obvious (use speed to go faster, etc) others aren't so obvious. For example, using smash art (or which ever one boosts KB) at lower percents to make combos harder to do on Shulk. This is something that isn't as obvious. Now, going back to paradigm shifting, this is literally a completely different playstyle than the one people are used to. While it's simple to understand why the smash art thing works, this is a bit more confusing and needs to be shown. Perhaps I'm just a little slow on the uptake and it's only me that would like video evidence of how this plays out. But I don't believe that's true.

EDIT: also, people don't inherently know how to use the monado arts in the best way all the time. Seeing video evidence allows a player to see how much using an art over another is beneficial to their play rather than just trying to trust information that they can't find evidence of.
That's the thing, a paradigm shifting playstyle literally entails using other playstyles at the appropriate time, with the appropriate character (i.e. Rosalina or Luma or both).

To give a very basic example, Rosalina can obviously send her Luma out de-tethered to attack for her, while she sits back out of the way and only attacks the opponent if the opponent gets near her. This is a paradigm with an offensive Luma and defensive Rosalina. When the opponent gets by Luma though, you might want to call him back and switch to the offensive for both Rosalina and Luma, to overwhelm and pressure the opponent away with their tricky, combined attacks. If the opponent is looking like they are getting the upper hand though, especially if they have you at a high percent, you want to have Luma right by you at almost all times, and you will likely take less risks. You may also try to preserve Luma even more in this situation, but at the same time, using him as a meat shield or as bait to help get a good hit in to either KO the opponent or return to neutral, is also something you might consider doing.

Now obviously, what I just described isn't "how you should play Rosalina", as some of these tactics are not often all that viable at a high level. I'm just giving an extremely, beginner friendly example, since you say that the mechanics of paradigm shifting aren't obvious to you.

Last edited:

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Here's a source. I'm not sure exactly how he tested everything since I wasn't watching his stream, but it is Dabuz so it would think it's pretty trustworthy.

As for why it happens, it's probably due to some different mechanic counteracting the universal shield stun increase. Does Luma suffer shield hitlag at all? If it doesn't, that explains this nerf since attacked and defender shield hitlag got synced this patch.
Hmmm. So there's a mechanic that makes the shield stun not work for Luma. Are there other characters where this same mechanic is applied, or is it just Luma?

Does Luma actually do less than before the patch, or is it the same, just less than everyone else is doing with the new patch?

Edit: So this could be done before this patch?

Last edited:

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
Hmmm. So there's a mechanic that makes the shield stun not work for Luma. Are there other characters where this same mechanic is applied, or is it just Luma?

Does Luma actually do less than before the patch, or is it the same, just less than everyone else is doing with the new patch?

luma does less shield stun this patch than before, hence its a nerf

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Is there a mostly agreed on list of all our changes yet?

I know it's early... thank you to all who do this research I could never do.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild

I don't think Luma does less shield stun, but rather that its attack are less safe on shield for other reasons. In addition to shield stun, there is also something called shield lag. It's like hitlag, but when hitting a shield; both characters are stuck and can't do anything. Before this patch, the amount of shield lag experienced by the attacker and defender differed if the attack had a hitlag modifier. The defender always has a hitlag modifier (HM) of 1, so attacks with HM > 1 had a frame disadvantage, and attacks with HM < 1 had frame advantage. This patch, the attacker and defender always receive the same shield lag, so moves with HM < 1 became less safe.

An extreme example is ZSS's dsmash. It has an HM of 0. As a result, it became less safe on block even though the amount of shield stun it inflicts increased. I'm not sure if this is the case of Luma though. It might be caused by something else.

In your Vine, Rosalina is also hitting CF's shield. Rosalina herself has increased shield stun on her attacks this patch.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
lol, comparding these nerfs to pikachus buff on just QA (7 frames safer when hitting shield apparently) might force a switch of character. I guess waiting for ICs is the best viable way to play a duo character in this game after all the nerfs since the 3ds version :/

Top Bottom