• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

partner for mario

mariofan292

Smash Cadet
in tournaments and friendlies who would go good with mario and is luigi a good choice

Crux

Smash Rookie
Hmm... that's a good question. I play doubles a bit with my friend, and we usually play Mario (or Doc) and Marth (or sometimes Ganondorf).

It seems to work pretty well for us, however I'm unsure if these are good combinations or not.

If my friend (.ReDLiNE-) ever gets on SWF again, I'm sure he could help you out with this better than I did :).

Hope someone with a bit more knowledge of doubles match-ups can tell you something better than what I have.

Crux

Smash Rookie
Mariofan: What did your second post mean? (sorry if I missed something obvious)

Edit: Oh, thanks for clarifying :).

mario-man

Smash Lord
in acordance with Takeshi

yeah........like Peach or somethin'. LOL

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
I partner with a Luigi and we work well together, with our moves flowing together and whatnot... unless say, we're playing against Chudat like last weekend.

If the going gets tough, he switches over to Peach to heighten our gayness levels, since she's the perfect partner for almost anyone.

Do note now though, that in general Mario is not that great for teams. This is due to him lacking really good clearout moves, not being really fast, and having little power. So for him to work then in general, your partner needs to have at least one of those characteristics... preferably power I'd say if you need to pick.

Zackular

Smash Cadet
Falcon and Ganondorf, to me, seem the safest. But, it's always nice to have anybody from the high tier, besides maybe Ice Climbers.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
i would go mario and ness, for several reasons.

1. healing
2. recovery techniques (pkthunder)
3. ness is hard to hit when friendly fire is on
4. throw to pk cross combo, works everytime ;-)

JumpMan_Punk

Smash Journeyman
A gpood partner for a mario main is some one thats good on the offensive. As long as u back him up with support in recovery, defense, or saving stock so he can feast on u'll be ok

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
i would go mario and ness, for several reasons.

1. healing
2. recovery techniques (pkthunder)
3. ness is hard to hit when friendly fire is on
4. throw to pk cross combo, works everytime ;-)
Ness is a horrible character. You left out that. Someone like Peach or Fox that have better KO options would do.

mario-man

Smash Lord
I think Takeshi has it, son. Fox would be much better than a character who is EXTREMELY difficult to be even remotely close to good. :)

Tujex

Smash Ace
I work best with a Marth, because he makes up for what mario lacks in speed, range, and power. He has the power to clear the arena (including you if you're not careful). You'll more than likely just be backup for him if the Marth knows what he's doing, just adding up damage so he can Fsmash or Ken combo the crap out of the opponents. That and CF work for me. Me and my friend came up with this cape/knee combo thing....hard to explain but I'll see if I can get a video of it up soon to show you how it works.

mario-man

Smash Lord
I'm gonna add somethin to what you said Tujex. Also, you can run circles around your opponents, cuz both Mario and Marth have good wavedashes.

Tujex

Smash Ace
I'm gonna add somethin to what you said Tujex. Also, you can run circles around your opponents, cuz both Mario and Marth have good wavedashes.
True, and if you both know what you're doing you can run some insane aerial combos on your opponent because both marth and Mario have good air games.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
Ness is a horrible character. You left out that. Someone like Peach or Fox that have better KO options would do.
yeah ness suscks at first, but i play tags with a guy who uses ness as his 2nd, and hes darn good, trust me if you find somone who knows what theyre doing then its a powerful team.

we won the mgc tag tourney twice and we stayed on the stick for 2 hours straight without a loss in friendlies with our mario-ness team

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
yeah ness suscks at first, but i play tags with a guy who uses ness as his 2nd, and hes darn good, trust me if you find somone who knows what theyre doing then its a powerful team.

we won the mgc tag tourney twice and we stayed on the stick for 2 hours straight without a loss in friendlies with our mario-ness team
Just because your tag team partner is good with Ness doesn't make him a good character to begin with.

Tujex

Smash Ace
Just because your tag team partner is good with Ness doesn't make him a good character to begin with.
Ness, unlike characters like Falco and Shiek, is one of those who is pretty much worthless unless you actually take the time to work with him and learn how to play. Not a "bad" character...just one that requires a lot of work to master...

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Ness, unlike characters like Falco and Shiek, is one of those who is pretty much worthless unless you actually take the time to work with him and learn how to play. Not a "bad" character...just one that requires a lot of work to master...
A good player doesn't make a character good. You can work hard all you want with Ness. It doesn't change the fact that he's a horrible character.

Tujex

Smash Ace
A good player doesn't make a character good. You can work hard all you want with Ness. It doesn't change the fact that he's a horrible character.
*Sigh*

Sad part is he's right...just felt like I had to take up for the guy, ya know....

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
he is a horrible character, but my partner is so good that he can handle any other character with him, trust me dude i know what im talking about.

i agree that ness sucks, but just because a character is bad doesnt mean you cant do good with him

Zackular

Smash Cadet
Doing some "hands-on research" today, I concluded that the Ice Climbers make a very good partner for Mario, so long as you're fine with getting zero kills, while they get 8.

Tujex

Smash Ace
I heard that the Icy's were real good with mario, but I don't know anyone who uses them so I couldn't tell you...

Eggz

Smash Hero
I'd warn you if I could. But instead I'll just hit you in the balls next time I see you.

EDIT: Wait, nvm hes right. Roy IS our boyeeee

mario-man

Smash Lord
LOL Eggz and SWolf

I hope you're not onee of those that subscribes to the theory that Mario fits this description as well. If you do, then you're wrong. xD I'll prove it sooner or later. Hopefully sooner.....

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
LOL Eggz and SWolf

I hope you're not onee of those that subscribes to the theory that Mario fits this description as well. If you do, then you're wrong. xD I'll prove it sooner or later. Hopefully sooner.....
Mario's not a bad character. He's just average and fits my style. I just said that Ness is a horrible character, not Mario.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Mario's not a bad character. He's just average and fits my style. I just said that Ness is a horrible character, not Mario.
Agreed. Mario is actually not bad. Just don't expect to win big tournies. You may win state biweeklies or whatever if you are really good (like Ka Master with Luigi good :o).

Ness. . . . . . .. . .don't expect to win anything besides small Game Trader tournies or something. lol

Edit: On topic. . . . . .probably Peach. >_>

unknown522

Some guy
Fox for sure. That's who my partner is, and we (if not win) come close in tourneys. The cape is an awsome support move to back up fox + fox's up smash after u rack up high damage.

Jones4Life

Smash Apprentice
In the space between you're oven and fridge
Mario is my secondary. I used to full main as him, but then i discovered sheik. Anyways, a good partner for mario would be someone like fox. Excelent speed and power. Captain Falcon, marth, and peach are all also excellent choices. I've even seen mario and Y. Link work well together. I think its not so much about who your partner is, its more about how you cooperate.

Top Bottom