• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parenting and Smash bros

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
I'm curious to see if they are any daddies or mommies out there that play smash. Where do you find time to play raising kids and such and why do you still play? I have a child coming, but I'm pretty sure FC will be my last tourney. There will be no more room for smash.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Marcus, the Sheik that teams with KDJ, is married. Stayed with him for Cataclysm. Everything seemed perfect there.

HAEMO_LACRIA

Smash Cadet
My dad sucks: He thinks he is cool if he presses al the buttons hoping he''ll make a combo

Adi

Smash Lord
Of course the older generation of parents won't be very adept at smash, but the newer generation, our generation who grew up with technology, specifically video games is likely to be very different.

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
My parents wouldn't know a F-smash from an L-Cancel.
haha, nice post

Just start your kids on video games at the age of 2, like Tiger Woods, except with video games. Then hope that by the time they get older, MLG will be a billion dollar sport, and there ya go, you can retire.

3GOD

Smash Ace
I'm married (for about a month), and I still play smash. Kids might change things, but that's still a couple of years down the road.

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
I have a child coming and am pretty sure FC is my last tourney. I remember you from INNSomnia 3GOD.

3GOD

Smash Ace
I remember you as well - you had a nice Yoshi as I recall. Good luck with your child - maybe you can still find time to make it to local tournaments. I usually only attend one every couple of months, so I'm not as serious as many smashers out there.

Also, I prefer "one-day" tournaments - those to which I can drive there and be back home in the same day. They are hard to find usually because most smashers don't like to start until 2 or 3 in the afternoon, but you might be able to make some of those in the future even with kids.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I've seen several Father/Son combos at tournaments. In my opinion, Smash can be like any other time spent together between parent and child. The main issue usually isn't time, but parents not interested int he least about what their kids do.

In your situation however with a child coming Smash might just become something you do when the opportunity allows. And even then that won't be until further down the road. But once your child is old enough, I see no reason why you couldn't introduce your daughter/son to Smash. It's something you two can bond over.

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
Yeah, I just don't see much opportunity very soon. I'm having to work my butt right now; school is starting up in the fall. I am going to have to work my butt off then. I have no financial aid right now, so I'm having to pay my way to school as well, so I'm just taking 4 generals and hopefully I can get some financial aid or possibly a scholarship for 2nd semester. Studying to become a radiologist while working my butt off and raising a child with attention and love is going to be tough. I also want to keep my relationship with my girl strong and not just always be about the baby boy.

Hehe, about making him a smasher. It really would be fun and cool if he loved fighting games as much as I do. I don't see the mother liking that so much, but I don't see me liking television, which she is obsessed with. We will probably form some kind of compromise. What I'd really like though, is for him to enjoy tennis, and I could teach him and play him all the time, at least during the Spring/Summer.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I might as well be married, 3God could probably back me up on that. I have quite the high maintainance girlfriend that hates smash which has prevented most of my smash anything.

@Rob
Yeah, it does seem like you won't have much time at all :-(. Sad to see you go, but mangz, good luck on that ****. I hope all that goes as smoothly as possible and you have a healthy and strong son.

Top Bottom