• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
If you're getting punished by doing upb, you're using it too much and making it predictable.

Aside from everything else, Upb can combo into fastfall fair against low % opponents.0-10 % for most characters, 0-30% against heavies.
Example http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=C9i1Z0pDqDQ&t=229

If you haven't been doing this already, you should lol. It's an actual combo, free damage, and you can't get punished for it.

Sar

Smash Journeyman
That's good stuff Penta, I didn't know about that. A guaranteed fair (15%?) after a measly upB (6%) is certainly a nice damage buff.

And many tears will be shed. But villager exists, so that's a plus.

And to answer the "rolling the cstick" question - there's the smart random smashing, which is good. I especially like spacing dsmash - perfectly spaced dsmash catches people off-guard verrrrry often.
And then there's also the smash attack baits. Usmash has very little ending lag, so if you do usmash far away you can catch a dashing opponent with another smash. It's not something you should do often (because they'll see through it) but it can be great for a surprise stock at low percents. Usually people's defenses are down when they're only around 80%, and fsmash can kill right around there.

D

Deleted member 189823

I really don't see the interest in crew battles, but I'll check it out because it's Europe...and gaw.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Damn Gardy how do you space Dair so well?

Not rhetorical. Like how. Your dair game is so good.

Also good shiz against Leon =)

Also LzR Nice ICs. I plan on watching the whole thing when I get a chance to, hopefully tomorrow, I love crews

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
I don't know to be honest. I've just developed a "feel" when I know I should dair, or at least can dair safely.

Doesn't always work, though. I think the most important part of my dair usage is confidence. In crews I strive to put up a show, and really don't give a ****, so I stop doing second guesses and just go for it. Usually works, dair is pretty ****ing good. Its burst range vertically is unmatched in utility, especially when mixing it up with slowfalls and autocancels.

Although the second I face a playstyle/matchup that has me worried/careful, the effectiveness of my dairs drops considerably

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Vinnie just quit. I'm more motivated to level up now than ever because this character NEEDS reps... and good ones. I refuse to let us go the way of all those other ****ty characters that get no high level representation. And our character is bad... but not that bad. Not bad enough to where he should be completely nonexistent like Link or something. We have some decent top tier matchups, I don't expect a solo GW main to do it but a co-main at least, and hopefully with my MK (that's getting good) I can do it.

I've been practicing playing less off reads and being more patient. Can't wait for my next tourney which MIGHT be this weekend but im scheduled to work.

I'm talking about a REAL GW not a really **** player that can pick GW and win like tyrant or anti. Or even Pwii. He has a GW but i dont really consider him an actual main since he only really uses him in situations where he cant use MK.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yeah Alphy is still the ****, keep repping.
I will of course continue to use GW in MUs where I feel he is better than ICs so he will see some use.
And wow Gardex that is the best way anyone could ever describe dair.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Do you have a source stating him quitting? It's not like he's really been using GnW recently anyways, but he was still a player I looked up to.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
That's what they all say and they still come back. I know I've done that at least 5 times now.

D

Deleted member 189823

That sucks...I usually think it's silly, unless their actual reason just happens to be that they lost interest in the game. Usually, when people quit, I see them saying something like "i have to build my life" or something along those lines, but Brawl isn't really that time-consuming for it to be relevant...ZeRo practices like 1-1 1/2 hours a day.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Forgot to post here after sktar
Made it out of pools with third seed and went 0-2 in bracket, losing to loe1 and orion.

Not much to say, i got outplayed lol.
loe1 is pretty campy and I have a wario problem in general but it still went to game 3. My set with orion was close but went 0-2.
All my sets were last hit or somewhat close. Only person that ***** me was adhd which isn't a surprise.
I also went last hit with denti in pools but couldn't get the last hit in.

I'll probably be more active this coming fall but i'm not really striving to improve or get better lol. I'm pretty comfortable at where I'm at and I just have fun playing the character. It's hard to have character pride and do well in a region like EC :(. Glad I made it out pools but my bracket performance was ehhh

Leepuff rise from the shadows pls

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
how do you fight wario,i'll never understandddddd.

Everyone says to spam aerials/uair and G&W wins but that's unsafe, Wario can easily punish any whiffed aerials, even if i chase him with uair.
Also i have to be extremely cautious at around 70% for fart kills, it's so nerve-racking lol.

halp

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Well yeah it's not that easy, like I can understand losing cause it's hard... But still, it sucks that one of the top GaWs goes 0-2 in bracket, losing to an up and comer :/. I mean that with no offense, cause I can't claim I'd do any better.

It's not spamming aerials, it's just using nair when he gets close, and upB if he finds a way around it.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
It's fine, I'm more frustrated at the character in general than losing to loe1 specifically. I've also lost to false's wario before in bracket so it's not the first time lol

I agree nair/upb is helpful but I don't feel it's enough to make the matchup slightly in our favor.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Dtilt, bro, dtilt. It's pretty good vs wario. Although I didn't get to play glutonny in singles, my dtilt still gave him the business in dubz

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
THANK YOU, Wario is pretty hard. I think it's even though. One of my main training partners is a Wario, but he think's he has the advantage.

It's just ****ing fart, that move is so good. Not even because of the attack but because it forces us to approach

and Wario zones so well just by jumping around you.

I should probably have some advice on the wario matchup but I just have a peach

who gets timed out vs wario instead so meh

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Explain why fart makes us approach, cause I don;t think it does at all, it just forces us to play defensive, which is probably a good thing tbh.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Because if you don't he'll just charge up fart and I really hate dying at like 60 or whatever dumb % it KOs at

Also Wario's air speed is really good. If you just let him take control and do whatever he can pressure you into a lot of stressful situations, It just seems way better to try and contain him with aerials yourself.

edit: Actually I guess fully charged would be the lesser of the evils, and once he's charged there's really no threat other than wario just being wario to make us approach.

Never thought about that until now

...but is fully charged fart really the lesser evil? because that one has superarmor and a huge hitbox. Both pretty ****ty to deal with (no pun intended)

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Unless you make a huge mistake, then his full waft shouldn't really hit.
Also, if he uses it while you're escaping with up b, he dies. Pretty amazing.

I like to play my usual aggro-style the first minute vs Wario, then stay back until he starts flashing, and then continue.
You can even dair his full waft if you're scared of him trying some crazy Glutonny NASA-kill

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Yeah just camp your ass off for that 30-ish seconds between half charged and fully charged, and then just play safe, letting the wario know that if he wants to waft you he risks killing himself (as in, make liberal use of upB). Approaching is probably the worst idea rofl... Leaves you open to get wafted (maybe this is why you get hit by it lol).

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I just go ICs against Wario because with GW that MU is really hard to play. Gotta be super patient and the matches take like 7 minutes.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
The MU is much easier if you just play as campy as possible. Run away all the time and if he tries to catch you punish with upB or an aerial of your choice. Repeat for 8 minutes and hope he won't catch you because he is a pain in the ass when he does that. The MU is imo super dead even.

Top Bottom