• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Hoping to hear from ya soon smiley.

@ Rizen
most would say 60:40(our favor) but I think it's 55:45 if the peach player knows how to play against gw.
Most of gws aerials out prioritize peach unless spaced poorly. Peach utilt will beat gw dair tho. Get her above you and uair/nair juggle, peach's airdodge is baaad.
If she lands too early then you screwed up, just be cautious for whiffed peach dairs as an attempt to land safely.
Pretty generic advice but that's kind of it lol

Other small things
-Downtilt will outspace peach fairs/dair
-Dsmash will catch a floating peach
-I would keep fair fresh in this match up.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Okay thanks a lot :)

I want to rematch you sometime. I had a lot on my mind and played absolutely abysmal last time :urg:

Edit,
@Smiley I hope you stay safe and have good luck :)

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Eh I don't really play this matchup anymore because Kyle refuses to play me.

You generally wanna beat peach to the punch with most characters. All she can do out of a float is her terrible airdodge and attack. We outspace her bair, outspeed her fair, and outspace dair most of the time. She can pressure shields really well if you let her and it leads into option selects because our roll sucks and our shield really isn't fantastic so to prevent her from putting that sorta pressure on you you sorta need to outaggro her. If she tries to pressure you with fairs rising bair at her and once she's in the air nair a lot. it's really hard for peach to escape GW's juggles because nair outranges her dair and most of the time she gets back to the ground it's because of pretty lucky dairs that just so happen to work. Also we can Up-B her dair OOS for a punish but you have to be careful doing this against smart peaches because they'll bait the Up-B by moving in on your shield and moving away and then punishing your up-b with a Uair which when spaced correctly does beat key. I generally wouldn't even try to do much from above her anyway because she's pretty strong from under and getting Uair locked sucks. Being below her is just too easy to take unnecessary damage from putting too much faith in an obvious dair. Usmash trades with fair when she comes from the air so if you are confident in your timing definitely do it it will win you matches. That's an obvious winning trade for us ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8mNLLq--FuQ#t=38 [super old match but this is what i mean]) Our fairs trade too so it'll be up to you to determine when the right time to trade with that is (most of the time you should hit her first however). GW is very comboable by peach especially when she knocks you don't because our getup options aren't that great (except get up attack) so when you're getting hit stay alert if you miss a tech and land she can follow up hard with fairs and stuff (this match is a prime example, I sorta get bodied but It's also pretty old but still really good examples of the things i'm saying http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB_-dxG5lwg )

Peach can do some pretty mean stuff back to us though. We're pretty comboable for some reason so beware of that. If dair somehow pokes your shield you should DI up through her so she can't string them on you. She has a mean punish game so don't **** up. If you feel like there's something you aren't really good at doing efficiently I wouldn't risk it honestly. I'd keep it fundamental. Bairs and nairs. Dark Pch said she can beat shorthop bair with fullhop dair and I can believe it. I mostly Fullhop my bairs on peach since they keep her from floating around all willynilly. Her Float cancelled nair is the **** (this is coming from a Peach main). It's a super fast, strong, reliable punish move that's pretty safe so be careful doing laggy things around her. It's sorta risky against GW but it's also pretty rewarding as it's less obvious than spamming Fair on your shield.

Turnips are annoying as GW. Learn how to instathrow them it'll help loads. Our aerials do in fact eat them but peachs don't use them to stop approaches generally they use them to punish safely (because peach doesn't really wanna be in GW's bubble of hitboxes.) Her jab is fast and safe on shield so you can expect it after fairs on your shield to keep them safe. Your Dsmash and Dtilt are a real ***** for her to get past so those are great spacing tools and she will HATE misspacing her stuff on you. Umm i'm sure there's more but I can't focus anymore because my friends turned the TV wayyy up

Matchup 55:45 our favor.

+She dies early
+She's easier to KO due to her difficulty safely getting in our space. Stuff like Usmash, and Dsmash really stress her out. Dtilt outranges everything
+Great pressure escape tool in Up-B, neutralizes her dair game
+We juggle the **** out of her with nairs and uairs.
- Her punish game is still really good despite these things
- She 'combos' us pretty well so when she DOES get in it counts.
- Can force terrible options out of you like slow getups and rolls
- GW doesnt deal with turnips all that well and can surprisingly be walled out pretty decently by them.

Pretty even. Lemme know if there's anything specific you have to ask about the matchup. I'm still pretty confident at it. Especially now because i'm much better than I was in those old videos i just never really play it anymore.

Here's probably the highest level example of this match that exists:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGmK_0my_1U

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I sorta forgot how to play sonic, it was my first tourney in quite a few months. I got it next time though. I hate playing all these stupid janky matchups where everyone tries to time me out I just wanna **** **** but all these n-words just run the timer down and fart me or run away and rev up or run away and throw ****.
I already know i'm bad at brawl, I lack the patience.

I still try though.

I'll post the match but i already know what I did wrong.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Alph you are gdlk. I took your matchup advice for wario and went ham on the wario that's been beating me recently.

i won like 15 matches in a row with many 2 stocks and even like 2 3-stocks

i'm so smiley =)

edit: I actually lost like 2 but like barely

Jr555

Smash Apprentice
Alph you are gdlk. I took your matchup advice for wario and went ham on the wario that's been beating me recently.

i won like 15 matches in a row with many 2 stocks and even like 2 3-stocks

i'm so smiley =)

edit: I actually lost like 2 but like barely
Something tells me I'm not going to have that big a change in my matches vs. Croi, but if I ever take a set off him, I'll probably be making a omfg alphicans yes post very similar to this. Also I think I've yet to post in the social thread... so I guess it's time for the late great introduction, I'm Jr from Nova Scotia and my scrubby gw has been lurking smashboards for 5 years according to some award I got, even though I've only been competing for 3. Hi everyone =3

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Your avatar looks familiar.
Welcome :). Sometimes I post here; I second G&W to make up for Wolf and my main's bad MUs.

Jr555

Smash Apprentice
^Your avatar looks familiar.
Welcome :). Sometimes I post here; I second G&W to make up for Wolf and my main's bad MUs.
Thanks! It was a cake my gf made me last year, thinking now that I'm a year older it's time I find another, but the majority of my posts have probably been from the last year so it would make sense if you've seen me then. We're going as ICs to our Halloween Party, but I can't ditch the GW avatar theme. Who's your main? Also what region are you from? I only know that Alphicans is Alberta, Vinnie is NY, Kaak (if he still plays) and LzR are Europe.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Kaak kind of still plays. He's really inactive, but attends something from time to time. Just this weekend he attended a dutch 50-man tournament(featuring the likes of Leon and Mr. R) and got 13th.

Jr555

Smash Apprentice
Nice, I think the guys from my community were trolling me when they told me to main GW, but watching his old combo vid made me feel like it wasn't the worst idea they've ever had, good to know he's still playing. Also Gardex if that's your tourney tag I've heard of you before but wasn't aware you played GW. I've definitely seen/heard a lot about Penta too (my memory is saying he's a central states player. but I have no clue). Missed my chance to go to the last 2 apex tourneys, if I can go to this one I'll try to say Hi.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Penta is also Tristate with Vinnie.

Meow and I are both Arizona. Both being Tucson (but he recently moved here and used to be Phoenix)

Paper is good too and is California.

And yeah about the Wario thing, i didn't start to lose really until recently. I havent been able to go to tourneys and he's been going to like every one so he's gotten really good.

Jr555

Smash Apprentice
Very good to hear about a Cali GW (gonna start hunting through vids for some aggro reads). Apparently I have a free stay in Arizona whenever I want, if I make the trip I'll try to time it around a tourney. How far is Phoenix from Tuscon? Do both have brawl scenes?

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Yeah. Tucson's is starting to grow really fast all of a sudden and phoenix's is starting to die down a bit.

Flagstaff has also been coming up really fast too. Phoenix is an hour and a half away from tucson.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Good luck at Apex Gardex. I doubt I'm coming, lacking motivation to travel that far for a tournament, but who knows if I change my mind next week.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Hi, I'm the other GnW main from Arizona. I have mained GnW off an on for about a year before I started full on maining him. Since then it's been about a year and a half. I now secondary R.O.B. and I'm picking up IC's (slowly). It's good to meet you, I've been wanting to be more active I just don't feel like doing on. Maybe I'll scrape the dust off that MU thread..

Jr555

Smash Apprentice
Hi, I'm the other GnW main from Arizona. I have mained GnW off an on for about a year before I started full on maining him. Since then it's been about a year and a half. I now secondary R.O.B. and I'm picking up IC's (slowly). It's good to meet you, I've been wanting to be more active I just don't feel like doing on. Maybe I'll scrape the dust off that MU thread..

Sweet, nice to know about another GW/ICs player. Pretty sure we've had very brief interactions on this website before (How can I forget a name like Mew1337kitteh lol). Either way cool to get an official introduction. Are any of you guys from Arizona thinking of hitting up Apex? Hoping I can make a full sweep of meeting the currrent GW community by attending that tourney.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
AZ is going to Apex. I know of at least 3 players. I went last year but i can't go this year as I'll be in afghanistan

j;rbkabajbskbr

Man I really wanna go though, would've been nice to meet some of you guys

edit: even nicer to play you guys

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Lost to a diddy i've never lost to yesterday but it's whatever it won't happen next time the matches were dumb. Beat that sonic I lost to last time. Went Gdubs game 1 and it was last stock REALLY high percent and he did one of those stupid spindash into bair thingies but it was REALLY fast he didn't even leave the ground pretty much it caught me off guard and was REALLY hard. Went Mk game 2 and 3 with double 2 stocks. Tornado all up in your spin charge camping, son.

Lost to diddy and ICs yesterday. Next time I'll just go GW against the ICs. I have never played him (after his ICs got good because i used to always beat his ICs but they were really bad and this was like over a year ago) but yeah we did a crew battle later and Meow played him and i realized i totally shoulda used GW because he sucks at that matchup. Oh well though tourney was fun and will be my last until i get back from my deployment.

Went Peach then MK vs the ICs btw

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Good luck on your deployment Smiley!

AZ is going to Apex. I know of at least 3 players. I went last year but i can't go this year as I'll be in afghanistan

j;rbkabajbskbr

Man I really wanna go though, would've been nice to meet some of you guys

edit: even nicer to play you guys
I'll be attending Apex again. Any Gdubs that are going; we should organize a meet-up.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
I'll be attending Apex again. Any Gdubs that are going; we should organize a meet-up.
That gave me an idea, there should be main-character locked crew battles, like a group of 5 G&W's vs 5 of some other character, so it's just that MU the entire crew battle.

I dunno, sounds reasonable on paper. Might get boring watching the same matchup 5+ times.

Top Bottom