• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Not really. The character is still hard in pretty much every way. Every single thing about them requires above average skill.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
essentialyl every character requires above average skill to use, just in different areas, for icies its technicality, for characters like ike its timing and spacing

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I actually don't feel like quitting at all. It's just the difficulty choosing between G&W and Peach, who I have both practiced up a lot.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
For me it's using GW who i'm more familiar with or MK who I feel safer with.

GW is cool and all but he just gets gayed so hard it's rediculous

Heartstring

Smash Legend
i had the same problem mr. lzr!
who do i pick? ike or r.o.b?
simple!!! i use both depending on how i feel.
we have a guy thats ranked no.4 who uses 22 different characters properly, so me using 2 properly isnt anything special XD

also, wow america. original, however it makes sense that its a college town, what with oxford university being no.2 in the world officially

sambo400

Smash Apprentice
Well most American towns and cities in the Eastern part of the country date back to the Colony days, so naturally they are named after British and other European and Greek/Latin stuff . Like New York and New Hampshire, or Columbus, Athens, etc. are all common names. In the West, most places are derived from Spanish/Mexican words. Like Montana = Spanish for Mountains, Nevada = Snow, and major cities are all San Something or another.

I too have to chose between GnW and MK for tournaments. GnW is fun but he gets ownd by a lot of stuff that MK just doesn't. There are people here I go 60-40 against with GnW, but don't lose to with MK, even though I don't practice him as much. We might end up banning him this year on campus, which would be interesting but leave me with 1 viable character. But GnW trolls people so hard I am ok with it.

PixlFayc

Smash Apprentice
game and watch is awesome, hes so fast and fun to play, hes got mad skills and madder smashes, i guess any advice to people going for g and w main is dont underestimate the up smash! the down smash and side smash are obvious and wont always work so well against good players, sure u can punish rollers with down smash and it is an amazing move but against spacers try using cook into foward air, and go for cheeky slide with up air, also go for the 9 on low %s, best method to get 9 is dont spam, and if u get a 9 waste the next 2 because they wont be 9s! the only thing i feel g and w misses sometimes is the up air, its very situational, only really useful for either being annoying, or moving people who are in "helpless" state, try using up b in stead of it, for instance a good combo is up tilt into neutral air then chase them with the up b , u can often hit them with a foward air at the top of the parachute, i kinda use the parachute to both dodge incoming atks and to keep them under pressure, game and watch is great for chipping away the damage!

-LzR-

Smash Hero
The thing is that we already have 2 Finnish gw mains, but no Peaches. With that logic Peach would be an awesome choice. I also have awesome luck with turnips. I got a bobomb in every set in doubles and we got to GFs too. =D

:phone:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
game and watch is awesome, hes so fast and fun to play, hes got mad skills and madder smashes, i guess any advice to people going for g and w main is dont underestimate the up smash! the down smash and side smash are obvious and wont always work so well against good players, sure u can punish rollers with down smash and it is an amazing move but against spacers try using cook into foward air, and go for cheeky slide with up air, also go for the 9 on low %s, best method to get 9 is dont spam, and if u get a 9 waste the next 2 because they wont be 9s! the only thing i feel g and w misses sometimes is the up air, its very situational, only really useful for either being annoying, or moving people who are in "helpless" state, try using up b in stead of it, for instance a good combo is up tilt into neutral air then chase them with the up b , u can often hit them with a foward air at the top of the parachute, i kinda use the parachute to both dodge incoming atks and to keep them under pressure, game and watch is great for chipping away the damage!
Good tips but Up-Air is definitely not situational, it's one of our most important moves, Nobody can beat us from above because of it, which nullifies a lot of important approaches and strategies. And it refreshes our moves.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
lol suddenly , uk invades the G&W social XD
lzr: just because other people use G&W doesnt mean you cant Xd
just pick whoever you find fun, if more than one character is fun, then use more than one character

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Well I don't really like playing a popular character since I will have MU experience problems. I will most likely main Peach since I would be the only one and I am already known around for being a decent Peach.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
doesnt want to use a popular character
...mained meta knight XD

k then, use peach then, youll probably have some technicality issues instead

Heartstring

Smash Legend
i have no idea who elena is so im indifferent
but either dudley or lili need to make it in, i need one of my mains in there :L

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I have already passed the Peach learning curve. Now I just need to master it. I know the techs and stuff and know a little bonewalking too.
I don't want to main a popular character in FINLAND. I was the only MK user for a very long time until almost everyone started pocketing him. That's when we decided to ban him before it became a problem.

PixlFayc

Smash Apprentice
smileyface i guess your right, i love using the up air, but you cant treat it like a damaging hit, its great against metaknight and toonlink i find, (or anyone with alot of helpless moves) its also good for a last resort against air campers like wario or anyone who go for corkscrew kick approaches (im thinking fox,falco,mario etc) but in that case theres normally a better option if u got the reactions,

also i love getting the second hit on the air pump but its so difficult to do against the more floaty charachters i guess its easier on platformed stages but i play alot of fd..

as for popularity, game and watch i feel has never been overly popular, but i dont see why not, hes literally sex.. i think people are just racist.. or perhaps dimensionalist

-LzR-

Smash Hero
It's kinda hard to find a main after using MK for about 2 years, but I'll manage. If I don't, I'll just switch over to melee.

PixlFayc

Smash Apprentice
haha, its a shame they nerfed jiggs so much, nethertheless hes still the most manly charachter! p.s maybe try kirby? i know a few metamains who changed out to ddd or kirby, but ddd is kinda semi boring to play, too much chain throwing u kinda feel like ur not really doing anything good :)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Did you just call my favorite character HE?
MY GOD D:

Oh and I main Peach, Kirbeeeh sucks. Dedede possibly for a secondary, he owns.

PixlFayc

Smash Apprentice
haha :) well from the metaknight+jiggs, i figured u had a thing for round affeminate blobs :p i find that dedede is really fun for 4player and mess abouts but when things get too serious i find myself relying on the same moves too much (uptilt, back air/front air air camping and chain throws) if you can mix it up with some waddledee combos and down tilt (just cos it looks funny) then maybe u have some fun with him, also meteoring people with the up b is halarious but risky offstage but funny when u do it, and same with dddsuicide at the end of a stock, even though its sometimes possible to spit them back out at the platform its way more demoralising to just eat them and keep them down :p

Heartstring

Smash Legend
yeah, youll...generally find yourself relying on the same good moves with almost any character. about 60% of any moveset does a job but is inferior to some other move in every way

e.g: ikes d-smash is inferior to his u-tilt in every single way: same startup, kills later, smaller hitbox, ends much slower...you get the idea

PixlFayc

Smash Apprentice
not game and watch :) all his **** is epic just been playing my bro with g and w and lucas vs his mario and fox made him rage after about 20 - 0 and hes like **** game and watch hes such a cheat!! im like well he is only like mid/high tier alot of people dont even rate him top 10 so dont complain and hes like well whos good against himthen? i said welli guess marth,olimar and toonlink are hard sometimes so he went game and watch and i beat him with marth he wins 1 match and is like! see!! i told u game and watch is too powerful!! good times

-LzR-

Smash Hero
So I played a bit Brawl today. I feel comfortable with Peach mostly so I will stick to her for now. G&W can gtfo, too hard for me.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
G&W is possibly the most easy character to pick up though. peach is much much harder to use lol

also, youd be hard pressed to find a real use for G&W f-tilt when its outclassed by other moves dependent on the situation

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I have already learned to use Peach. I used her a lot while I still mained MK for friendlies. So the difficulties won't be a problem, I know the stuff.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
i see, well then good luck, it will be needed seeing as a d3 ***** your top spot

same as i do, being an ike main with a marth taknig top spot XD

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
G&W is possibly the most easy character to pick up though. peach is much much harder to use lol

also, youd be hard pressed to find a real use for G&W f-tilt when its outclassed by other moves dependent on the situation
I used to think that hardcore, but not anymore. It's a really good surprise move because you always have better options, so you never end up using it so it's always fresh and the hitbox (at least to me it seems to) lingers a bit. It's sort of that middleground between Dtilt and Fsmash that's situational but when you finally do use it it's rewarding... like it was designed to be that way... I still think it's our worst move of course. Judge is better, but a lot of people dont really agree with me on that.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I used to think that hardcore, but not anymore. It's a really good surprise move because you always have better options, so you never end up using it so it's always fresh and the hitbox (at least to me it seems to) lingers a bit. It's sort of that middleground between Dtilt and Fsmash that's situational but when you finally do use it it's rewarding... like it was designed to be that way... I still think it's our worst move of course. Judge is better, but a lot of people dont really agree with me on that.
It's a really good surprise move because you always have better options
Exactly that. this is the only reason any outclassed moves get used: because people dont expect them, in a way its the same as the plus points for maining a shoddy character (like ike, jeez i never stop reffering to this guy)
i do the same though, if i jsut so happen to land an fsmash with ike, they suddenly become very wary of getting hit again and it becomes even easier to punish them because they be jumpy XD

-LzR-

Smash Hero
i see, well then good luck, it will be needed seeing as a d3 ***** your top spot

same as i do, being an ike main with a marth taknig top spot XD
Not really, it's the player who ***** us.
Last time he went Samus and also used Mario for like 3 matches and won the whole tournament :(

PixlFayc

Smash Apprentice
yeah im not a big fan of judge i justuse it to troll and in unlikely situations, when they have done something dumb and they are on too low % to punish with smash, kinda thing wth might aswell give 9 a go, and yeah i kinda like foward tilt.. its useable and your right it does linger. most the time i do it, its kinda semi unintentional tbh ill land a airmove and go for a foward smash and maybe just mess it up or do it too fast its not such a lame move that it ruins u , and come on its a chair!

-LzR-

Smash Hero
The reason I probably wouldn't make a good G&W is that I cannot resist attempting a 9, at all...

PixlFayc

Smash Apprentice
haha theres totally diminishing returns on it, make sure u only use it fresh, until u get a 9 then try waste 2 to improve ur chances. if u try spamming it u will just rarely get any 9s, its abit annoying when u 9 someone who is on like 1-20% and they survive

Top Bottom