• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Palutena Q&A Thread

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Just practice it a lot in training mode until you get the feel for how to space the nair hitbox and when to fast fall.
Eh, guessed so. Funny thing is I can do the light weight super speed > nAir > uAir combo way more consistently.

Karmatrix

Smash Cadet
Any good Palutena strategies in doubles play? I know she'd probably be a supportive and zoning character, so what do you guys think?

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
I think she's best as a support, and she can net kills with certain setups from her partner such as throws into her smashes (upsmash). She also has the tools to avoid getting hit with her mobility custom moves. Even in default, she can utilize Warp on platforms to escape bad situations.

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
Why run jump glide over warp? Simply as a combo extender or is it good in neutral?

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Why run jump glide over warp? Simply as a combo extender or is it good in neutral?
I'd say both. I use Jump Glide for mobility. I can combo off of it with aerials using its momentum and approach at short hop height for when I'm in Lightweight form. I can cross up with it with aerials and cover more distance horizontally for recovery. The fact that I can act out of Jump Glide anytime makes it less punishable on the cooldown compared to Warp, which requires edge canceling (depending on certain stages it's situational) to act out of it.

Zediwonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZediWonder
3DS FC
5069-5322-3120
I'd say both. I use Jump Glide for mobility. I can combo off of it with aerials using its momentum and approach at short hop height for when I'm in Lightweight form. I can cross up with it with aerials and cover more distance horizontally for recovery. The fact that I can act out of Jump Glide anytime makes it less punishable on the cooldown compared to Warp, which requires edge canceling (depending on certain stages it's situational) to act out of it.
If i'm not mistaken Jump Glide automatically drops you into free fall after a few seconds? I tried jump glide for a while and ended up not liking it because of that, always felt like I didn't have time to act out of it.

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
It gives you a long time before that happens. It seems a bit scarier getting back onto stage with it, but only from underneath the stage. I find those situations rarely happen when lightweight makes her double jump so high

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
Where the nair is hitting them has an effect on their trajectory. If you keep them in front of you during the move, they should go straight up. If you move them to the centre or behind her, they'll go far back, meaning you can't follow it up

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
So I was playing some custom Palutena with Lightweight and I had a lot of trouble getting kills with the "Halleluhoo-Hah". Every time I get the D-Throw I almost always just barely miss the U-Air, and I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. From my observation the opponent I faced was DI'ing it in the opposite direction as me, and he was able to sneak in the air-dodge before I could hit him.

I'm kind of lost on how I can improve on this so I thought it was best to ask here.

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
I haven't noticed any problems with that lately
Do it as early as possible, you still get your momentum. You shouldn't be waiting to catch up or anything.
A shorthop is normally enough too.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
It's more of me messing up the inputs for the most part. I think it may just be the slight online lag that was throwing me off the more I think about it.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Tell me more about D-Throw without customs. Does it true combo into stuff at every percent? Is D-Throw -> N-Air viable on certain characters/percents? D-Throw -> RAR B-Air?

How high up does U-Smash hit, exactly? Is it the entirety of the light pillar?

Last edited:

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
Tell me more about D-Throw without customs. Does it true combo into stuff at every percent? Is D-Throw -> N-Air viable on certain characters/percents? D-Throw -> RAR B-Air?
D-throw>N-air might work on fatties at super-low percents (0-10%?), other than that it only works if they don't DI. D-Throw > RAR B-air works for quite a while, not exactly sure when it stops.

How high up does U-Smash hit, exactly? Is it the entirety of the light pillar?
The hitbox matches up with most of the graphic, like 98% of it or something. The tippy top (around the part where the beam starts to fade) doesn't hit tho.

Last edited:

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
Oh, how I wish it was... ;~;

It only works if they don't DI, sadly. You could read their reaction to D-throw and punish, I guess.

lRasha

Smash Apprentice
Question... I've been interested in Palutena lately. The Smash Bros Guidebook says this for Palutena: "Forward Air is extremely quick and has a sweetspot just on top of Palutena's foot." Maybe my understanding of a "sweetspot" isn't great, but can anyone explain this? I didn't notice a sweetspot for her Fair.

Sidenote: Is anyone else besides me trying not to type Paletuna? Lol...

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Question... I've been interested in Palutena lately. The Smash Bros Guidebook says this for Palutena: "Forward Air is extremely quick and has a sweetspot just on top of Palutena's foot." Maybe my understanding of a "sweetspot" isn't great, but can anyone explain this? I didn't notice a sweetspot for her Fair.

Sidenote: Is anyone else besides me trying not to type Paletuna? Lol...
Sweet spot is the area of a hitbox that has the most knockbock/damage; it's basically the spot you want to hit with the most. (i.e the tip of Zelda's foot with her F-Air, or the tip of Marth's blade)

That said, I don't remember Palutena having a sweet spot on her F-Air.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Sorry to have to ask this here but I couldn't find it anywhere else, is there information anywhere on how to do the third kind of horizontal warp, the one where you travel only a very small distance? I have the full one, where you jut press Up B then sideways, and the second one where I press diagonally down, but sometimes when I try the second one I get that third one, where I move forward only very little. Thanks in advance.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Sorry to have to ask this here but I couldn't find it anywhere else, is there information anywhere on how to do the third kind of horizontal warp, the one where you travel only a very small distance? I have the full one, where you jut press Up B then sideways, and the second one where I press diagonally down, but sometimes when I try the second one I get that third one, where I move forward only very little. Thanks in advance.
Palutena's Warp actually has 16 directions. I believe you may inputting the direction in between down and diagonal down for the really short Warp. I could be wrong, but I think that's what is happening.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Palutena's Warp actually has 16 directions. I believe you may inputting the direction in between down and diagonal down for the really short Warp. I could be wrong, but I think that's what is happening.
Ah I see. There are only 3 straight horizontal distances though, right? Is there an image / video indication of all the distances and where to put the control stick for them?

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
I don't know if anyone has made a video on this, nor have I seen any pictures related to what you're asking. Also there might be 4 horizontal distances from grounded Warp if I'm correct on how Warp works. So the directional inputs to get certain distances should be: down/diagonal down, diagonal down, diagonal down/forward, forward.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Alright thanks a lot for the help, I guess it's time for training mode.

exnecross

Smash Journeyman
I've been pushing myself to learn all of the characters in order to gain a better understanding of the entire roster, and I've come to Palutena (no customs). Her kill game is a bit perplexing.

So, I understand that you are meant to condition your opponent before going for a d-throw u-air kill, but I've been running into a problem. No matter how I mindgame, if the opponent is aware that my only aerial kill move until well into the 100%'s is u-air, which any good player is aware of, they will simply never fall for it. Baiting an airdodge doesn't do the trick, because they can jump away well before I can connect a u-air at kill percent. I know this grants me a near guaranteed fair follow up, but that is not killing most characters until at least 150%.

How are you guys "conditioning" opponents to DI for u-air followups, when as long as they know the option is present, they will never let you do it?

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
With little to no rage, Palutena actually has a guaranteed dthrow->upair on most characters. You can actually catch your opponent jumping out by preemptively jump upair to where you believe your opponent is going to be when he/she jumps. You can't react to the jump; it's basically a prediction move that sets up you and your opponent meeting up at the same place in the air. And then when your opponent is aware that you can catch them out of their jump, then that's when you can condition them to go for another option, which usually reverts back to air dodging. They can also jump and air dodge at the same time, but even then you can punish that if you know your opponent will opt for it. Palutena getting her kills is basically figuring out the player's tendencies in certain situations, most notably after her dthrow. You can also pummel after you grab your opponent and if he/she tries to mash out, that can result in the incorrect DI for the dthrow, and then you can follow up with upair.

Also, there are other ways Palutena can condition to kill with her other moves... like fsmash, bair, dash attack, even uptilt, etc.

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
Default wise I want to understand Palutena. She's one of my secondaries, above Zero Suit and Peach but below Mario and Pac-Man. I do fine with her most of the time but when I actually get an opponent that knows a thing or two I struggle, quite a lot. I'm a Sonic main and I'm used to being aggressive with approaches and overall just being fast. Maybe it's the playstyle I'm adjusted to? Am I supposed to play defensively with her? What exactly is her character default wise? If this question was already asked and answered forgive me, I don't really have the time to go back and look, playing Smash as I speak.

Last edited:

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Default wise I want to understand Palutena. She's one of my secondaries, above Zero Suit and Peach but below Mario and Pac-Man. I do fine with her most of the time but when I actually get an opponent that knows a thing or two I struggle, quite a lot. I'm a Sonic main and I'm used to being aggressive with approaches and overall just being fast. Maybe it's the playstyle I'm adjusted to? Am I supposed to play defensively with her? What exactly is her character default wise? If this question was already asked and answered forgive me, I don't really have the time to go back and look, playing Smash as I speak.
Palutena is more of a defensive character in default.

sleepy_Nex

Smash Journeyman

How do i do this dash into uptilt?

p.s. don't blame me for the videocover.

NovemberMan

Smash Apprentice

How do i do this dash into uptilt?
To my knowledge, when dashing, instead of dash dancing or foxtrotting back and forth you make a normal turnaround. During the ending part of the turnaround animation is where you want to slide the controller stick upwards, then press A. However, it's more easier to execute with Tap Jump disabled.

Last edited:

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Is Palutena's counter considered bad? I don't see a lot of people use it and it seems like the knock back ratio is kinda mediocre.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Is Palutena's counter considered bad? I don't see a lot of people use it and it seems like the knock back ratio is kinda mediocre.
It's actually pretty powerful, but slow. It's risk is high and it's reward is meh unless you see the dude hit Warlock Punch or something. It's not bad as a surprise tactic and can get you out of bad situations but it's not something to rely on, especially in a game where grabs are so strong.

Alses

Smash Apprentice
So I'm curious as to when Palutena can fastfall, she seems really unresponsive to fastfalling and overall doesn't go downwards quickly at all. Whenever I use an aerial and try to fast fall it either doesn't happen, takes ages to activate or I have to use my aerial jump and then the fastfall works immediately. What's up with that? =/
I don't really get it because any other character can fastfall easily before, during and after their aerials or getting hit so that's what has really been holding Palutena back for me...
I've been using Mewtwo instead just because he actually fastfalls when commanded as is just a glass clone of Palutena in the air and on the ground exchanges the range for less lag.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
I believe she can fast fall any time after the peak of her jump. I don't really know what advice to give you beyond that since this isn't ever something I've had trouble with, though

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
Are there any good ground combos for palu? i know she has good aerial combos from her down-throw (like d-throw NAIR to FAIR?)?
and what are her best killing moves?

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Are there any good ground combos for palu? i know she has good aerial combos from her down-throw (like d-throw NAIR to FAIR?)?
and what are her best killing moves?
Jab > Grab > Fair is her BnB, you can Nair instead if they DI in. It doesn't work well on some fastfallers.

Jab > Utilt pseudo combos at high percents and kills with rage

Her best kill moves are probably Uair and Usmash, Fair and Nair offstage, and Utilt, Dash Attack and Bair when we get desperate and have rage. Her Dsmash and Fsmash are powerful but extremely risky and should really only be used for big punishes and hard reads

Top Bottom