• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pac NORTHWEST: WA - OR - BC - ID [social]

D

Deleted member

Celestial is pretty passionate about this project, and I'm looking forward to the final results. Having said that, I think there's such a thing as "too many cooks in the kitchen," so I am of the mind that when celestial is ready to get people involved as he needs them, he will. The goal is to make it as least subjective as possible (I'm assuming), and once the complete data is collected, the more people involved, the more subjective it has a chance to become. Just my two cents.

T0MMY

Smash Master
We'll post the link when we work out some logistics, unless Celestial wants to send it early. It's definitely missing some data and we need to tweak some numbers, and we don't want anyone feeling like that have been misrepresented before it goes public.
I'll keep you posted Volkrion :)
A PR should help in a number of ways; hope it's going well - don't forget to keep us random Oregon players who don't use facebook (me, haha) updated here. Speaking of which, how does someone like me figure into the ranking? Would I be included into a NW PR or is this just a WW PR you'll be doing?

Volkrion

Smash Rookie
We'll post the link when we work out some logistics, unless Celestial wants to send it early. It's definitely missing some data and we need to tweak some numbers, and we don't want anyone feeling like that have been misrepresented before it goes public.
I'll keep you posted Volkrion :)
Thanks for letting me know!
I am curious to how it turns out and who's going to be on there!

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Hey again everyone, I think I've managed to get some of my friends to agree to go to gameclucks with me for the first time next week so that will be fun! I've heard it starts at 2 but people don't really start showing up until 4, so what time do you think is good to show up? And do melee/project m/smash 4 all get pretty equal representation there? I play quite a bit of smash 4 but I really want to get into project m. I don't really have much experience playing it with others and have a pretty minimal understanding of the game's mechanics, so I'm hoping this will be a good place to learn more about it.

Celestial

Smash Cadet
NNID
TangerineCrayon
Celestial is pretty passionate about this project, and I'm looking forward to the final results. Having said that, I think there's such a thing as "too many cooks in the kitchen," so I am of the mind that when celestial is ready to get people involved as he needs them, he will. The goal is to make it as least subjective as possible (I'm assuming), and once the complete data is collected, the more people involved, the more subjective it has a chance to become. Just my two cents.
This. So much this.
Thanks for letting me know!
I am curious to how it turns out and who's going to be on there!
Soon.
Hey again everyone, I think I've managed to get some of my friends to agree to go to gameclucks with me for the first time next week so that will be fun! I've heard it starts at 2 but people don't really start showing up until 4, so what time do you think is good to show up? And do melee/project m/smash 4 all get pretty equal representation there? I play quite a bit of smash 4 but I really want to get into project m. I don't really have much experience playing it with others and have a pretty minimal understanding of the game's mechanics, so I'm hoping this will be a good place to learn more about it.
GC Mondays are fantastic for this, usually PM has the highest representation with about 15-20 players showing up for it, while melee and smash 4 typically have 8-15.The PM players are fantastic in including new players and showing them the ropes. I would say 3:30 is probably a good time to show up.

Celestial

Smash Cadet
NNID
TangerineCrayon
A PR should help in a number of ways; hope it's going well - don't forget to keep us random Oregon players who don't use facebook (me, haha) updated here. Speaking of which, how does someone like me figure into the ranking? Would I be included into a NW PR or is this just a WW PR you'll be doing?
For the time being this is exclusively a PR for WW. Eastern Washington and Oregon to the best of my knowledge have their own PRs. I would be interested in doing a region wide seeding, but that undertaking would be absolutely enormous.

Celestial

Smash Cadet
NNID
TangerineCrayon
Hey third post in a row new record? This is a direct copy paste from my Facebook post.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ud3srNnkVFnQ_S--RJE2qi-97GPNh58m-VLwTppn85k/edit?usp=sharing

First things first, special thanks to @Locke 06 for the advice and data entry throughout this project.

I started this project when members of the community voiced their concerns about how seeding was being done at local tournaments. While who has wins over who was still being taken into account a lot of the placements were entirely subjective, as a result I decided to try my hand at creating a rudimentary seeding system for Western Washington, and while this is far from perfect I think it’s a good starting point and time to get your feedback and advice on how to proceed. My attempt here was entirely based on local tournament results, for the time being Gameclucks Weeklies, ePeen Gaming BiWeeklies, Northwest Majors 7, and the NWBG series due to their consistency and the level of play typically found at these events.

It became clear early on that seeding around 200 local players with perfect accuracy was going to be a near impossible task, so I shifted my focus towards identifying the higher ranking players in the region and seeding them based on results. What came out of this was essentially the start of a power ranking system, and while that’s what is being highlighted in this document, it isn’t the final say. There are players that haven’t met in bracket that may be better than someone currently seeded higher than them, or may not even be seeded at all due to having an off day at the tournament or two that they’ve attended. I believe that with a larger sample size and more time this problem will resolve itself and hopefully this will encourage more players to make an effort to get out and prove their claims that they deserve a higher spot.

While this is already compiled, there’s still a fair amount of work to be done on the project and for this to be a fair representation of the region as well as the community I can’t do this entirely myself. I have a few individuals in mind already, but I’m striving for an even representation geographically and tournament participation wise to fully represent the player base. I’m looking to you for guidance on who these individuals should be.

I’ll happily address any comments or concerns and would appreciate any intelligent feedback, thoughts, or questions.

Last edited:

Celestial

Smash Cadet
NNID
TangerineCrayon
Ignore this... never thought I'd experience a double post...

Last edited:

Aveean

Purple Yoshi Double Dunker
Awesome job so far Celestial! Super happy with it. You are doing great. Keep the data public, keep the brackets public, and everyone will know that way there isn't any bias. And that is GREAT to have.

T0MMY

Smash Master
For the time being this is exclusively a PR for WW. Eastern Washington and Oregon to the best of my knowledge have their own PRs. I would be interested in doing a region wide seeding, but that undertaking would be absolutely enormous.
I'm fine with that.
And I don't think Oregon has an official PR. There's probably a few of those obligatory facebook posts where a couple people draw names out of hats and never update or whatever, but I'd like to see one formally put together and maintained to be recognized on Smashboards. Maybe the work WW is doing will be a good role model for Oregon :^)
EW always seems to have their act together as well, so when we get ours together maybe the heads can get together and figure out how to put a database out for a Pac NW PR and get some national recognition going so it's not just east coast dominating all the news all the time.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Just got back from a good day at Gameclucks, I entered the Smash 4 and PM tourneys as "Mako" and managed to get 3 wins in the former and actually one in PM surprisingly! People were great at explaining the ropes and I got a lot of good experience playing both games. I don't really remember any names because I'm bad at that, but thanks to everyone I encountered today for the good games!

Also, I heard there are some other tournaments that also happen in the area which are sometimes coordinated over the Facebook page - I don't really use facebook but maybe it would be nice if I could get a link to that for future reference?

EDIT: I think I found the page, but I recall someone named Felix mentioning another local tournament. Any information on that?

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
Just got back from a good day at Gameclucks, I entered the Smash 4 and PM tourneys as "Mako" and managed to get 3 wins in the former and actually one in PM surprisingly! People were great at explaining the ropes and I got a lot of good experience playing both games. I don't really remember any names because I'm bad at that, but thanks to everyone I encountered today for the good games!

Also, I heard there are some other tournaments that also happen in the area which are sometimes coordinated over the Facebook page - I don't really use facebook but maybe it would be nice if I could get a link to that for future reference?

EDIT: I think I found the page, but I recall someone named Felix mentioning another local tournament. Any information on that?
Glad to hear you had a good day at GC's. I'm looking forward to getting back up to Washington for more events, will be at Battlegrounds - which I think might be the event Felix mentioned. I think that one is on the 15th of August.

After Evo I feel like I am forever done with customs, I really just don't like them for competition and I can't even say I have fun with them outside of competition - items are much more fun, haha.
Well, I actually like some characters' customs (like Mega Man and Palutena) but it feels like almost all of them are worthless and a few of them outright ruin the game's integrity. Like a few bad apples spoils the bunch.
If it comes up in any discussion elsewhere I am actually more in favor of banning Mii fighters just to ensure customs stay off, but would prefer Custom Fighters Off and no Mii limit/ban so I can actually use my character.

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
At this point this feels silly to do.
Does anyone know people who live Moses Lake, Washington and play? Even know people who may know people? I only know of myself and my friend Spruce Lee. We know about the Tri-Cities, Wenatchee, Spokane scenes but they're not really viable to play with on a daily basis.
Thank you in advance.

Aveean

Purple Yoshi Double Dunker
I haven't seen much action in the Moses Lake / central Washington area. I think a lot of your play will have to be online or travel sadly.

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
Online Melee hue hue hue. Thanks, though.
I found two more players. One through SmashBoards and I've through Facebook. Finally after two years of searching on both platforms, it's paid off...

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I'm looking at going to Genesis 5 and hope to see fellow PNW players there as well.

T1MMY

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for the extremely late reply. Genesis has always been a big thing in the Smash community, so it would have been easy to find all the info about it well before I got back in here to post.

I'd suggest looking into joining a group, such as Discord, to get up to date feed on tournaments.

Top Bottom