• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pac NORTHWEST: WA - OR - BC - ID [social]

Slaine

Smash Rookie
Is there a way to delete this post? My computer was being dumb and double posted the same reply. Sorry

Last edited:

Slaine

Smash Rookie
This is success right here!
I would be up to attending a few of these, but hardly get any carpools to the eastern side of Washington and buses don't really go through there. So I'll have to keep an eye out for anything that can transpire, until then maybe we can meet together in a PNW meetup.

Once we get around 60 people we will look into a bigger venue, everyone who's apart of this is really excited for the future of smash in our area. As we grow more people might be willing to come, but yeah I was thinking of attending the tournament you were posting about but I have no ride.

CeeBee4564

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dante4564
I think something out of this world would be doing things like taking over the Seattle Convention Center for a weekend. :O

T0MMY

Smash Master
Is there a way to delete this post? My computer was being dumb and double posted the same reply. Sorry
Don't think so, just edit it and say it double posted.

Once we get around 60 people we will look into a bigger venue, everyone who's apart of this is really excited for the future of smash in our area. As we grow more people might be willing to come, but yeah I was thinking of attending the tournament you were posting about but I have no ride.
Yeah, transportation to/from our areas are a little tricky to work out. Basically takes someone willing to drive that distance and enough people willing to kick in for the gas costs. Not sure what your scene is like for traveling, but I guess this is why we have Smashboards, to keep up with what our region is doing.

I think something out of this world would be doing things like taking over the Seattle Convention Center for a weekend. :O
That would be quite something. It's fun to think that big, maybe one day when we have enough interest and staff willing to make that happen. Until then maybe we can all plan for a Regional Smash Gathering where we can all meet up for something special, Smash + social.

Slaine

Smash Rookie
Yeah, transportation to/from our areas are a little tricky to work out. Basically takes someone willing to drive that distance and enough people willing to kick in for the gas costs. Not sure what your scene is like for traveling, but I guess this is why we have Smashboards, to keep up with what our region is doing.
Yeah i'm asking around to see if anyone is interested, not many people seem to travel out much though but i'm keeping my fingers crossed

CeeBee4564

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dante4564
That would be quite something. It's fun to think that big, maybe one day when we have enough interest and staff willing to make that happen. Until then maybe we can all plan for a Regional Smash Gathering where we can all meet up for something special, Smash + social.
That would be awesome as well. :p

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Hi, I'm a player from Kirkland and even though I play pretty frequently against my friends and sometimes online, I want to have the experience of actually playing against some of you in the community! I've heard that there are weekly smashfests at Gameclucks, and I think it would be neat to try and go to one sometime this summer. I couldn't find much information about it online besides that it's every monday from 2-10, could anybody tell me which games are usually played there? I mostly play Smash 4 but I also love watching Project M and Melee even though I have very little experience actually playing them.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Hi, I'm a player from Kirkland and even though I play pretty frequently against my friends and sometimes online, I want to have the experience of actually playing against some of you in the community! I've heard that there are weekly smashfests at Gameclucks, and I think it would be neat to try and go to one sometime this summer. I couldn't find much information about it online besides that it's every monday from 2-10, could anybody tell me which games are usually played there? I mostly play Smash 4 but I also love watching Project M and Melee even though I have very little experience actually playing them.
I kind of have the same problem with finding the info on things. I wish there was a consistent and public page for everyone to find the GameClucks info on - honestly really think there should be a much greater network for the PNW.
This is the reason why I decided to step up and make a thread for the PNW on Smashboards to help get this started.
Anyone got some info for Egg.?

Celestial

Smash Cadet
NNID
TangerineCrayon
I've been meaning to do a thorough write up of all the smash taking place in the northwest, particularly Western Washington. For now though GameClucks Mondays tend to get going around 4 with doors opening at 2 and we go until we're tired of playing smash for the night. Primarily for the time being the main game being played is PM usually drawing in 12-20 players, followed by Smash 4 with 8-16 players, and Melee which oddly goes from 2-12 players. There's always a bracket for each game, for Smash 4 it's typically singles with the evo ruleset, entry is a dollar with the bracket starting around 5:30. I'll update with that list in the near future.

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
I'm looking for any Smashers on the island of Whidbey.
Naval Base included. I would definitely love to start a sub-scene out here. I know there are others out here, I just don't know how to find them.
I'm up to play anything Smash 4, PM, Melee whatever. I would warn you, Melee and PM are my worst games, but I'm willing to learn. Even if that means I get bodied for the next couple months.

D

Deleted member

I saw this group was created more recently, the older, existing one has twice as many members.... These two groups should definitely merge somehow, having two groups hear about two different sets of tournaments doesn't help our scene grow. Here's the link to the other : https://www.facebook.com/groups/824606527611160/845010898904056/?notif_t=group_activity

D

Deleted member

Also, sorry for the double post, but here's tournament news for the next two weeks!

This Saturday the 13th, the monthly GC tournament will be held at Highline CC. All details can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/events/676008552527348/

Also, Saturday the 20th, T0MMY and GamepadArena are hosting Road to Glory #3 in Eugene, Oregon! As of now, DtD is traveling from the Seattle area to attend. All the details can be found here:
http://smashboards.com/threads/jun-20-2015-road-to-glory-500-season-finale-eugene-oregon.400846/

Would love to see all of your lovely bright smiling faces at both of these tournaments. They both promise to be large and well run, so make sure to come by, even if you don't compete, it'd be awesome to get some friendlies in with everyone!

T0MMY

Smash Master
Would love to see all of your lovely bright smiling faces at both of these tournaments. They both promise to be large and well run, so make sure to come by, even if you don't compete, it'd be awesome to get some friendlies in with everyone!
I have a family gathering & graduation thing for my cousin this saturday, don't think I can make it to GC this time. Is GC going to be doing the EVO ruleset until after EVO? As much as I think having Customs ON is fun I don't like traveling to events that only offer that ruleset - being an longtime veteran I like the more conservative rulesets we've used for all these years with a streamlined Stage List and limiting optional rules like Items, Customs, etc.
I'd LOVE having two events and wish Custom rulesets would stop banning Equipment! EVO is an experiment that can't take things too far, but I wanna try Smooth Lander & other Equipment - sounds like lots of fun!

Hope to see everyone at a GC soon though!

Edit: Dewey: I got the Facebook link on the front page - I'd like the PNW get networked, unified, and come together for a better working Smash Community, so I am all for figuring out a way to get the two groups together. I don't have a FB and don't have anything to do with those two groups though. Are they both Smash Wii U groups or is the older one a general Smash group?

Last edited:

Bennext

Smash Cadet
Edit: Dewey: I got the Facebook link on the front page - I'd like the PNW get networked, unified, and come together for a better working Smash Community, so I am all for figuring out a way to get the two groups together. I don't have a FB and don't have anything to do with those two groups though. Are they both Smash Wii U groups or is the older one a general Smash group?
Lol, I like how both Facebook groups names are exactly the same name yet different groups. :upsidedown:

I like how Brawl and 3Ds are specifically excluded. :ivysaur:
Neither are really played competitively around here, if you would like to start a tourney for either game please do ~
What would it take to start something like that?

T0MMY

Smash Master
Hey, I got a couch! Very nice condition, completely free, looks great - This will help greatly for company this weekend!
Also a computer desk. No more sitting on the floor hurting my legs/back while typing X^D

And my friend said we could borrow his BBQ this weekend if we wanted to hang out and do some grillin' with our chillin'. Success.

Now I just have to run a big event and make it the most fun anyone ever has had at a Smash tourney! If anyone has any ideas what you'd like to see at RtG3 I can try to make it happen (obviously having enough setups and a smoothly run bracket is priority!).

Once the SSB4 Facebook Group can be figured out we should submit the link to the SWF stickied thread here: http://smashboards.com/threads/pacwest-facebook-groups-thread.342070

Last edited:

Volkrion

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! Just wanted to say hi and wish the DtD crew good luck at the tournament in Oregon tomorrow!

Also just wanted to say I've been enjoying playing all you guys who have been to the Gameclucks weeklies as well!

o(〃^▽^〃)o

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
Big shoutouts to the entire DtD crew - you guys made the RtG finale a grand one! Both in terms of the hype brought (the most intense battle of the event goes to Locke vs t1mmy) and the help you provided with the brackets after the weird glitch happened for the RR. The network problems started us off very rough, not sure we could have pulled it through at the end as smoothly!
Congrats on winning both singles & doubles Wii U events! About time someone took t1mmy out of a RtG #1 spot >;^D

I was exasperated and with the setbacks I was happy to hear so many people say they had a great time and asking when the next one will be. Well, I've been wanting to retire from the TO scene so I can get back to more serious play, but maybe I'll focus on more simple events after EVO and see where things go from here.

D

Deleted member

Thanks for hosting the tournament T0MMY, we had a good time down there! Of course, shout outs to all of my teammates for performing so well. It was a good experience to travel OoS for the first time for a tournament, proud of the way everyone performed and handled themselves.

T0MMY

Smash Master
You all were as pro as I remember you - and by pro I mean professional in every sense including the game and respectful of the event/competitors/venue.
I'll be happy to accommodate any of you in any future event I host however I can and look forward seeing you as a competitor next time I'm in your neck of the woods :^)

XL_

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3282-5463-6168
I'd better see everyone there for GameClucks smash on Monday, I'll be learning some PM so come teach me how to not get de_stroyed.

Just a reminder doors open at 2 and it's at the Gameclucks LAN center just across the street from the Alderwood Mall in Lynnwood.

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
Heard there's a GC this saturday. Really looking to attend. I heard GC has been using customs & I have virtually no practice with Custom Moves; entered a tourney last month with Customs on and didn't know what was up, haha... also, I'm going to EVO, so probably should get some practice with them at some point.

Are the rules going back to normal after EVO is over?

Celestial

Smash Cadet
NNID
TangerineCrayon
Heard there's a GC this saturday. Really looking to attend. I heard GC has been using customs & I have virtually no practice with Custom Moves; entered a tourney last month with Customs on and didn't know what was up, haha... also, I'm going to EVO, so probably should get some practice with them at some point.

https://www.facebook.com/events/784158871699487/
You're looking for July 11th at Highline. We've been using customs as of late, there hasn't been a community discussion on thoughts about using them afterEVO or not so that remains to be seen.

Last edited:

1SF

Smash Rookie
Hey from Vancouver Washington here! I was wondering if there are any smash groups in the area currently? If not would anyone be interested in making one?

Aveean

Purple Yoshi Double Dunker
To the cyan yoshi I met at the GC Monday this week: VERY SORRY WE DIDN'T GET FRIENDLIES! I had to leave in a hurry! Show up to more tourneys and I will play you plenty!

Also hi guys. I hope some of you know me already. I play purple yoshi here in Washington. I'm also an admin of the PNW facebook smash group. If you need any organization or management done, I'm your girl.
Yes, the next NWBG will still have customs. There has been zero discussion of changing it but I have an idea that it'll change a few weeks after EVO. In general, that monthly will always try to go with the rules the majority of the smash 4 community is running. Customs seem to be prevalent right now, so we are still running customs.

To the Vancouver person: Welcome to the community! Feel free to ask me if you have any questions. Here is one of the best places to get updates on regular smashfests and tournaments, as well as crews: https://www.facebook.com/groups/824606527611160/

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
I hope so, cause customs are jank.
The thought on customs here in Oregon is kind of don't care either way or just outright hating them, nobody really wants them except one guy in Salem. I'm kind of on the "don't care" side, but hate the way they were pushed into EVO.
Personally, I feel that after EVO they're going to fall out of favor since CEO and other big tournaments are straight up basic competition without them. Myself, I feel like EVO is going to be a lesser experience for me using them kind of like a repeat from EVO's Items mistake before, and barring any kind of epiphany I'll be more than happy to see events drop them into a side event after.

After talking with people about the Mii ban at Gameclucks I get the idea that whoever is deciding rules for SSB4 may benefit from getting feedback from the attendees. Using Customs is fine even if a majority may not like them, because a few players going to EVO will need the practice, but after EVO maybe we could ask all the players where they'd like to see the game go.

Hey from Vancouver Washington here! I was wondering if there are any smash groups in the area currently? If not would anyone be interested in making one?
There are Vancouver Smashers who post on the Oregon Social Thread
Jaxas asked them to come to the Salem weeklies, so a few of them may be attending that. But I think Vancouver would benefit greatly if someone could step up to the job of being a Vancouver rep and get people together for some good ol' fashion Smashing and maybe some local events. I know @CutestLilLucario is a prominent OR Smasher from Vancouver, so it might help to get in contact with him.
If you need anything else, feel free to post something in the Oregon Social.

To the cyan yoshi I met at the GC Monday this week: VERY SORRY WE DIDN'T GET FRIENDLIES! I had to leave in a hurry! Show up to more tourneys and I will play you plenty!

Also hi guys. I hope some of you know me already. I play purple yoshi here in Washington. I'm also an admin of the PNW facebook smash group. If you need any organization or management done, I'm your girl.
You're the admin for the FB group? That is awesome! Totally confident things are going to be going well with you managing.
You know how to get a hold of me if you need anything, so hit me up :^)

Aveean

Thanks t0mmy! And I'm more than happy to get a discussion going about the ruleset at our western Washington monthly after EVO is over. Most players I play against seem to agree that they don't want to see customs anymore. We've also had a few polls in the pacific northwest smash group that I am in, and people have been voicing their opinions about stage picks, customs on/off, and 2 stock vs 3 stock plenty. After that discussion, it was decided to just wait on it until after EVO. So I'm sure it is turning up again.

StokeTheForge

Smash Cadet
Hey guys,
Is there going to be a Smash Bros. tourney at Gameclucks this weekend? I've been searching the site but it hasn't told me anything.
Thanks.

Celestial

Smash Cadet
NNID
TangerineCrayon
Hey guys,
Is there going to be a Smash Bros. tourney at Gameclucks this weekend? I've been searching the site but it hasn't told me anything.
Thanks.
Hey Stoke, there will not be a tournament at Gameclucks this weekend. There will however be NWBG (GC monthlies were changed to this monthly) which boasts SSB64, SSBM, SSBPM, and SSB4 not mention various other fighting games at Highline Community College on Saturday July 11th.
https://www.facebook.com/events/784158871699487/

I would highly encourage you to follow T0MMY's advice and take a look at the scene in and around Portland if you don't mind crossing over the bridge.

Lol, I like how both Facebook groups names are exactly the same name yet different groups. :upsidedown:

What would it take to start something like that?
I'm so sorry I completely missed this question, hopefully you're still lurking here. All you would need to do is garner support for either game and maybe host a side event at a weekly, biweekly, or monthly. You're not alone in your love for both games <3
Love your word choice here

One last thing for my wall of text, there's been a little concern from a few members of the community about seeding, particularly in WW for SSB4. As a little project I went over all the notable tournys I know of and have been trying to seed by wins and losses as well as wins and losses to and over "notable players". Is this something that the community would be interested in using for seeding as well as possibly a PR? @ Aveean Aveean I plan on taking this to the facebook group in the very near future unless I receive massive backlash here.
Looking for a little feedback on who should be involved in this, for the time being it's just been myself and a close friend running exclusively on raw data, all bias and personal impressions aside.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yes, the next NWBG will still have customs. There has been zero discussion of changing it but I have an idea that it'll change a few weeks after EVO. In general, that monthly will always try to go with the rules the majority of the smash 4 community is running. Customs seem to be prevalent right now, so we are still running customs.

To the Vancouver person: Welcome to the community! Feel free to ask me if you have any questions. Here is one of the best places to get updates on regular smashfests and tournaments, as well as crews: https://www.facebook.com/groups/824606527611160/
Hey Aveean, good to see you on here, the DtD crew lurks on here too!

Aveean

Hi Dewey! Nice to see you too :)

@ Celestial Celestial , I've been looking up information about potentially setting up a PR for WWA as well. EWA has one that is regularly updated based on tournament results. I think if we got something going, it would make seeding much more simple for our side of the map. If you'd like, you and I can set up a committee of a few UNBIASED smashers to contribute to it. I'd like to work on the organization as well if you will let me.
What I was going to do is pretty much what you are doing - count wins and losses between players, tournament placings, and in particular wins and losses against notable players, and combine that, weighted somehow, into a PR. Even if it isn't done that way, above all else I want something unbiased and not a popularity contest. I am happy to host a document/website with the correct PR information, updated regularly, as well (I have access to a lot of website material and programming experience).
Now, before this happens, I do want to speak to a few regions around the US that have an active PR, and see how they do theirs. I think we should do ours similarly just so people understand when they move here or visit for tourneys.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Celestial

Smash Cadet
NNID
TangerineCrayon
@ Aveean Aveean I'll be sending you a link to the work we've already compiled, I believe it's an excellent start personally and would very interested in your opinion so far. I've spoken with Grimlock and he was interested in what has been compiled and had no objections so far. We've modeled it after what Michigan has done for their PR because it seemed to be nearly entirely off of data and was easy to follow their logic. As far as individuals I think would fit into a seeding/pr committee I'd like to see You, Locke, Grimlock, Bladewise, and myself seeing as how we all have a wide reach into the community and are all more interested in the well being of the community than our own personal seeding. My only concern being lack of representation from the peninsula and the south south end.

Last edited:

Aveean

@ Celestial Celestial , that sounds perfect. I took a look at your private message and I like where it is headed. It has all the data I was interested in - seeds, matches, and final placements, as well as information on how players have been against other top players. The only thing I worry about is simply due to seeding, I see some players who haven't gotten a chance to play other top players. I'll need to speak with you privately to see how you resolve that in terms of placement.
As for the members of the "PR committee" I think the people you listed are great. I agree that we are the most level headed and widest (socially) reaching players around here, with us all being in different mini social groups as well. We'll just have to reach out to the south end and peninsula but I'm sure we can do it :)
I'll respond to your PM with more.

Slaine

Smash Rookie
As far as my thoughs on customs , i'm all for them being available, in my opinion it adds great variety to the game and makes you have to adapt your play style accordingly, I think of it as the different move sets for characters in MKX where the play style of the character can change and make them more viable. Yes a FEW match-ups can be hell or super jank(most noteably custom villager because of time-outs) but it gives characters options they would have never had before, ganon gets a horizontal recovery option, donkey kong gets a great aproach option as well as demands respect sometimes. My area doesn't think they are broken but they do understand that not everyone may like them or have much experience with them, but they still want to incorperate them in tournaments, I don't know what the standard will be but so far it looks like they will be rotating formats so that all the main tournaments will use customs once, then switch back to no customs next time and repeat the process of going back and forth.

Gamepadnews

Smash Cadet
Road to Glory 3 results
Please claim your placement to be included in the Smashboards national ranking system. You may even see your name listed among the Smash Stars here on Smashboards!

Melee

Doubles

Singles:

[event=nobracket]7323[/event]

Smash Wii U

Doubles

Prelim Listing

Smashboards Ranking system does not allow for a two-stage event to work with their rankings which makes events using pools not compatible. Thanks to our scorecards we could combine the Top Cut from pools along with the Top 8 competitors into a workable results.

Road to Glory3 - SSBU Singles Top 10
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
DtD | XFactor
$126.00
2nd
t1mmy
$63.00
3rd
DtD | Locke
$21.00
4th
DtD | Celestial
5th
8bit
5th
DtD | Dewey
6th
DtD | XL
7th
Teste
8th
DtD | Pferschaw
9th
Tidus

Volkrion

Smash Rookie
@ Celestial Celestial , that sounds perfect. I took a look at your private message and I like where it is headed. It has all the data I was interested in - seeds, matches, and final placements, as well as information on how players have been against other top players. The only thing I worry about is simply due to seeding, I see some players who haven't gotten a chance to play other top players. I'll need to speak with you privately to see how you resolve that in terms of placement.
As for the members of the "PR committee" I think the people you listed are great. I agree that we are the most level headed and widest (socially) reaching players around here, with us all being in different mini social groups as well. We'll just have to reach out to the south end and peninsula but I'm sure we can do it :)
I'll respond to your PM with more.
Hey Aveean! Good to see you and Celestial on smashboards!

Was wondering if you might be able to send me a link to the current compiled data? Id be more than happy to try helping as well!

Thanks!

Aveean

We'll post the link when we work out some logistics, unless Celestial wants to send it early. It's definitely missing some data and we need to tweak some numbers, and we don't want anyone feeling like that have been misrepresented before it goes public.
I'll keep you posted Volkrion :)

Top Bottom