• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pac man's grab - really that bad?

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Pac Man's grab is the worst grab in the game, I actually don't think there are any that are close to as bad (maybe yoshis?).

That being said, grabs are really good in general, so even tho his is bad (like really bad) for a grab, its still a grab, and is therefore good. Grabs beat shields and shields are good. And as stated, if spaced correctly i think this grab will beat a spot dodge reliably.
Statistically, villager's is worse. Comes out frame 15 compared to our 12, and has no lasting frames

Judo777

Smash Master
Statistically, villager's is worse. Comes out frame 15 compared to our 12, and has no lasting frames
Forgot about Villager, yea his might be the worst. Although I feel like his cmes out max range at frame 15 and Pacs isn't max range til much later.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I think Pac's Grab is... kind of unusual, which explains it's perks and weaknesses. While it's slow and easy to punish, it has also interesting attributes to these things being able to punish spotdodges and having extended time that can be used to punish certain approaches or even landings, and even pressure if you have a momentum in certain situation.

Unwieldy would be best word for this grab, for it's not certainly useless and has it's unique advantages, but shouldn't be used like a regular tether in order to know those things.

Villager and Robin IMO have still worse grabs compared to Pac.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think Pac's Grab is... kind of unusual, which explains it's perks and weaknesses. While it's slow and easy to punish, it has also interesting attributes to these things being able to punish spotdodges and having extended time that can be used to punish certain approaches or even landings, and even pressure if you have a momentum in certain situation.

Unwieldy would be best word for this grab, for it's not certainly useless and has it's unique advantages, but shouldn't be used like a regular tether in order to know those things.

Villager and Robin IMO have still worst grabs compared to Pac.
Ganon is similar to Robin, but slightly better.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
Gannon's grab is his fastest attack. Gannon's Down-throw also has a low% followup with Nair that leads to an advantaged situation.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I feel our grab gets way more hate than it should. It is by no means a good grab, but it has it's uses.

For one, the lasting frames make it excellent for team combos, for catching landings, and converting off of some traps.
The disjoint range also allows us to pull characters into bouncing hydrant traps and beat some longer range attacks (Like Kirby Fsmash if spaced right).

It's definitely not spammable, but it's not terrible.

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
If they would just fix that deadspot on the dash grab, I'd actually say it is a pretty alright grab because of the lingering hitbox. That goddamn deadspot gets me every time though…

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If they would just fix that deadspot on the dash grab, I'd actually say it is a pretty alright grab because of the lingering hitbox. That goddamn deadspot gets me every time though…
Happens a lot to Falcon players too but... really, a lot of dash grabs can miss if you're too close.

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
His grab is fine. Not the best but most definitely not terrible. It grabs through rolls and stepdodges, and its instant point blank. It's also pretty useful as a retreating pivot.
Just work with it, there will always be buttons that aren't as good as others, but pacs throw is really easy to work with and can score a kill or gimp.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
His grab is fine. Not the best but most definitely not terrible. It grabs through rolls and stepdodges, and its instant point blank. It's also pretty useful as a retreating pivot.
Just work with it, there will always be buttons that aren't as good as others, but pacs throw is really easy to work with and can score a kill or gimp.
It's actually not instant at all point blank. It comes out a tad slower than most grabs. And there's a dead spot at literal point blank, so your opponent has to be a little bit away from you for it to work.

Top Bottom