• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pac Man's Character Design, is it the right one?

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
its ok. at least its 3d.

i would have perfered the more modern one with him having colored eyes. he looks as though he has less definition than kirby.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
While I do like the Ghostly Adventures design, I'm actually happy they made this design work well. My biggest issue with this design, in my head, was that it wouldn't allow a lot of expressiveness or life. I felt like he'd be pretty boring, personality wise. I'm glad I was wrong. Sakurai and Namco made him animated, cute, and really expressive. I love it.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
upload_2014-6-11_0-21-10.jpeg
Obviously should of used this.
Joking aside, I'm glad they used classic Pac-Man, everybody's happy.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'm quite surprised seeing his classic design, especially after seeing him in Mario Kart GP DX.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I'm quite surprised seeing his classic design, especially after seeing him in Mario Kart GP DX.
Same, and with Namco heavily marketing Ghostly Adventures, I figured they'd go with that design. But I think Sakurai had a heavy hand in the design they ended up with.

Maybe Ghostly Adventures Pac will be an alternate.

I wonder what his alternate colors will look like...

MasterLuigi

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2835-8943
Pac-Man's old design matches his moveset well with all the retro style moves he uses and his old design is his most iconic look. Pac-Man's character design is perfect.

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
oh yes, Ghostly adventures is a disgrace to Pac-Man

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I think it was a great choice. His animation compliments the design wonderfully, which is what really brings him to life. He got a great classic to modern treatment, much like Megaman. It was exactly what I wanted.

:093:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It's perfect. It's exactly how I always wanted Pac-Man to look like. I grew up with that design in the 80s and 90s and that's how he looked like in Pac-Man World 2.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I'm actually happy they made this design work well. My biggest issue with this design, in my head, was that it wouldn't allow a lot of expressiveness or life. I felt like he'd be pretty boring, personality wise. I'm glad I was wrong. Sakurai and Namco made him animated, cute, and really expressive. I love it.
This is my sentiment as well. I would've preferred the Pac-Man Party design, but I'd settle for anything. This look works just fine, and I think it was the best choice, as it satisfies the greatest number of people.

Thegamerguy131

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thegamerguy131
3DS FC
0946-2559-8115
I was surprised to see that they used this design. I had always hoped that they would, but I never expected it.

I fell asleep after the smash tournament, so when I woke up to check Smashboards, for a second I thought they were using the original "circle" design. When did they announce him, anyway?

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I was surprised to see that they used this design. I had always hoped that they would, but I never expected it.

I fell asleep after the smash tournament, so when I woke up to check Smashboards, for a second I thought they were using the original "circle" design. When did they announce him, anyway?
They announced him to a small number of people in a closed-doors E3 Roundtable, than just blatantly put him up on the Website.

Vashimus

Smash Master
It's the Pac-man that's the most recognizable and the most liked. Never cared for the new Pac-man look, and a lot of other people don't either. Sakurai's a smart man.

Last edited:

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
They have no problem going with classic Pac Man.
Yet they use modern Sonic.
All my rage.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I'm so glad it's not the ugly Ghostly adventures one with the weird teeth and ear-grating voice and the all-around dis likability because it's bad.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I almost thought they'd go with some kind of joke character look and keep him always as the ball which chomps at the beginning.
So glad I was proven wrong, because this appearance is the iconic one to him, hands down.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
Im so glad they used this design instead of the Ghostly Adventures one.
So... Yes, it's the right one.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
All I hope is that his red color has the feathered cap from PacLand.
Kirby looks awful when he eats Pac-Man.... hoping they fix this by giving Kirby the classic Pac-Man-shaped eyes... and the feathered cap from Pac-Land.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Funny how Sonic is the only 3rd party contender to use his modern look, while Mega Man and Pac-Man stick to their more classic looks.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Probably a decision made by SEGA. They are allergic to Sonic's classic design, apparently.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wonder how the Sonic fanbase feels about how Classic Mega Man and Classic Pac-Man are in but Classic Sonic is not.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I wonder how the Sonic fanbase feels about how Classic Mega Man and Classic Pac-Man are in but Classic Sonic is not.
I can only speak for myself, but I am bit bummed by SEGA's stupidity. If people like Classic Sonic, they should give Classic Sonic to people. That said, Modern Sonic isn't as bad as some extremists claim him to be and I can live with this design being the one present in Smash. Lets just be glad they didn't change his design to that abomination with giant legs from Sonic Boom.

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
I was kind of hoping for some Adventures of PacMan (SNES) references, but I suppose this will do.

Last edited:

Dynamite

Smash Apprentice
Yes, they definitely chose the right design for Pacman. His classic design fits perfectly with his moveset. I'm so glad they went with it.
Are new, modern designs really that bad?
To alot of people they are, but not to me. I really like his modern designs. I'm a big fan of his Pacman Party design, however his design in Ghostly adventures was kinda odd to me at first, but now I really like that design too.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
I like his modern design, but in those circumstances a classic look is best fitted.
Mega Man is classic. That's for sure.
Mario could become a call of duty soldier and he would still look classic. lol
Sonic is modern, albeit he's more classic than his Brawl look.

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
Everyone would have ******* if they used his current one. Maybe it'll be an alt costume though. I'm happy with it.

Top Bottom