• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
But this that's not what Pac-Man is about, he's about eating dots, not playing a game of Transformers..
And his moveset would still involve dots, his final smash wouldn't change that. Have you played as him in SFxT? He uses dots inside of the Mokujin mech for all of his projectiles. Having that as his final smash wouldn't change anything, it would just be a fun, powerful transormation from one of Namco's most popular fighting games. Not sure what you have against it, but frankly the Powerpellet idea is predictable and boring, the Mokujin would be much more fun and make Pac-Man more apealing to Tekken fans.

CalumG

Smash Lord
And his moveset would still involve dots, his final smash wouldn't change that. Have you played as him in SFxT? He uses dots inside of the Mokujin mech for all of his projectiles. Having that as his final smash wouldn't change anything, it would just be a fun, powerful transormation from one of Namco's most popular fighting games. Not sure what you have against it, but frankly the Powerpellet idea is predictable and boring, the Mokujin would be much more fun and make Pac-Man more apealing to Tekken fans.
Again, it's predictable because it's iconic, and there's nothing that would fit his Final Smash better (see: the Super Sonic example). The Mokujin would make Pac-Man more appealing to Tekken fans, but to everybody else it would be alienating because they'd have no idea where it came from or what it's doing there. If you ask the average person to think of Pac-Man's most 'powerful' move or the one that gives him the most advantage over opponents, the person will likely say his Power Pellet form. Every. Single. Time.

Sometimes things are predictable for a reason. Should Kirby not have his inhale as a Standard B? I mean, it's one of his most iconic moves but we'll all see it coming, it'll be so predictable and boring.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
sry, the dang button made me post twice so i had to change this post to something random. kgghtblsggh! the ranting is in the next comment below.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I know its your opinion and all and i respect that, but it stops there. Now for the ranting. How is his most iconic move boring. I think the suit is an embarrassment to pacman since it has nothing to do with him. Also, why does pacman have to represent tekken? Keep him in his own franchise please. there are many other posibilities for his fs like the toc man suit from HIS franchise but apparently u think we are morons and that we can only think of one fs.

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
The Power Pellet wouldn't be any more exciting than ROB's final smash which I thought was pretty boring compared to others and I'm not alone in saying that. The fact that it's iconic doesn't make it any less boring either.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
It's still a lot more likely to be chosen. (Since it's his most iconic ability after all)

Some ideas i saw to make it more unique/fun are things like characters turning into ghost forms of their selves. (Luigi and Mario become the boo forms from Mario Galaxy, Zelda will turn into a non toon version of her phantom form, Kirby becoming Ghost Kirby, etc.) Or the character's faces becoming those funny 8bit squiggle lines that the Pac-Man ghosts have after he eats a power pellet. Another idea i saw was that Pac-Man becomes 8bit and he can move in any direction. That includes going through the stage itself. (Makes him a lot more dangerous)

CalumG

Smash Lord
How is R.O.B's Final Smash even relevant? I'm entirely confused. R.O.B's Final Smash was effectively made up by Sakurai specifically for Smash - the Power Pellet on the other hand is Pac-Man's strongest and most iconic offense.

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
All i'm saying is that you should keep an open mind, after all it's just an idea. I'm in full support of Pac-Man I just feel like the power pellet while iconic is, like I said, predictable and boring, and we all know Sakurai hates being predictable. I just thought the mokujin would be a cool twist that's all. I realize it has nothing to do with his series, but does Mario's or Luigi, or Peach, Bowser, ROB, Meta knight Jigglypuff etc? Not really. Atleast with Pacman it'd make sense, you know being a Tekken cameo and all. Again it's just an idea don't take it so seriously.

D

Deleted member

I'm afraid I also don't get this line of reasoning. What if it is predictable? Final smashes usually aren't obvious because they involve the character doing something completely unlike what they do in their normal set, which ends up making the moves vehicles, transformations or very powerful attacks. It just so happens that Power Pellet would both fit that bill and be iconic at the same time, only making it more likely. The problem too is there's no alternative. You say it's like ROB's, but I don't see how. This would involve "catching" the foe and OHKOing or KOing them basically, while Pac-Man travels in a grid and reverts to his original arcade form. Your Mokujin idea is a funny one to consider, but really, being a character in Smash is a big deal. Sakurai will want a final smash that fits the characters best, not an Easter Egg for fans of a game that has very little overlap with a Nintendo-only fighting game [SFxT was not on Nintendo systems].

I find the discussion interesting but I don't think there's any logical basis to it.

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
I'm afraid I also don't get this line of reasoning. What if it is predictable? Final smashes usually aren't obvious because they involve the character doing something completely unlike what they do in their normal set, which ends up making the moves vehicles, transformations or very powerful attacks. It just so happens that Power Pellet would both fit that bill and be iconic at the same time, only making it more likely. The problem too is there's no alternative. You say it's like ROB's, but I don't see how. This would involve "catching" the foe and OHKOing or KOing them basically, while Pac-Man travels in a grid and reverts to his original arcade form. Your Mokujin idea is a funny one to consider, but really, being a character in Smash is a big deal. Sakurai will want a final smash that fits the characters best, not an Easter Egg for fans of a game that has very little overlap with a Nintendo-only fighting game [SFxT was not on Nintendo systems].

I find the discussion interesting but I don't think there's any logical basis to it.
For the record I never said the Mokujin mech was likely at all.I wish that it was, but let's face it, the power pellet is more likely. That doesn't change my earlier points though.

Their are several ways the powerpellet could be implemented, Pacman reverting to his arcade form and traveling in a grid is just one interpretation.

Finally, don't act as if you know what Sakurai would do because you don't. Isn't that kind of what 3rd party characters are to begin with "eastereggs"?

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Predictable? I'd welcome the Power Pellet Final Smash because it's predictable. Smash is about seeing classic characters; it severely detracts from the fan-service when the characters aren't...you know, in character. It'd be like if they changed Sonic's Final Smash to involve using his sword from Black Knight, when everyone would expect to see Super Sonic. It's predictable, but the reason it's predictable is that it makes the most sense. I could say that Mario shooting fireballs is predictable, but it's in character and he shouldn't swap those out for a gun to be more appealing to Yoshi's Safari fans. Predictability shouldn't be looked at as a necessarily bad thing; predictability only gains negative associations when the predicted outcome is unfavorable. Considering how many fans relish the idea of an arcade throwback for Pac-Man's Final Smash, I don't think using the Power Pellet would be unfavorable.

Personally, if Tekken were to be represented, I'd rather they just include an actual Tekken character.

D

Deleted member

For the record I never said the Mokujin mech was likely at all.I wish that it was, but let's face it, the power pellet is more likely. That doesn't change my earlier points though.

Their are several ways the powerpellet could be implemented, Pacman reverting to his arcade form and traveling in a grid is just one interpretation.

Finally, don't act as if you know what Sakurai would do because you don't. Isn't that kind of what 3rd party characters are to begin with "eastereggs"?
You never said it was unlikely, so I inferred from your reference to Tekken fans and fun that you thought it may be. Though I feel you were nitpicking to find something I misinterpreted to be honest...

Yes, there are several ways and no one is denying that, but one makes the most sense. Sakurai even talked about this final smash, specifically using the classic form, addressing an interviewer at E3.

I don't know what Sakurai will do but I can make an educated guess based on his past actions. Third-party characters are not Easter Eggs - Snake was revealed right when Brawl was announced. Sonic may be seen as an Easter Egg as he was not shown until the end of development but we know that is because they only secured the Sonic license at that time, it was not intended as an Easter Egg. I don't think you know the meaning of the term and I don't think Sakurai would want to hide away the few third-party characters he will include, I assume so that the players find the egg? There are other things to hide that aren't a character who will sell the game to millions of fans.

I forgot another obvious third-party: MegaMan. The second newcomer shown for SSB4 during the reveal announcement. Not exactly hidden.

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
You never said it was unlikely, so I inferred from your reference to Tekken fans and fun that you thought it may be. Though I feel you were nitpicking to find something I misinterpreted to be honest...

Yes, there are several ways and no one is denying that, but one makes the most sense. Sakurai even talked about this final smash, specifically using the classic form, addressing an interviewer at E3.

I don't know what Sakurai will do but I can make an educated guess based on his past actions. Third-party characters are not Easter Eggs - Snake was revealed right when Brawl was announced. Sonic may be seen as an Easter Egg as he was not shown until the end of development but we know that is because they only secured the Sonic license at that time, it was not intended as an Easter Egg. I don't think you know the meaning of the term and I don't think Sakurai would want to hide away the few third-party characters he will include, I assume so that the players find the egg? There are other things to hide that aren't a character who will sell the game to millions of fans.

I forgot another obvious third-party: MegaMan. The second newcomer shown for SSB4 during the reveal announcement. Not exactly hidden.
The interviewer is the one who mentioned the arcade style fs not Sakurai, so i don't really see your point.

An educated guess only gets you so far with Sakurai and in the end it's still just a guess. Forget the easteregg thing as it didn't really get my point across. I don't see the problem with having a cameo final smash especially since he's 3rd party. It hasn't been done before so it would be more original atleast. Just another upside.

What are we really debating about here? If it's the more likely fs I alrready admitted the power pellet was, all we can really say is that it's more likely you can't say for sure which it'll be or even if Pac-Man will get in the game. I'd still rather have the Mokujin mech, but that's just my opinion, and I'll continue to sport my opinion just as you sport yours.

All I really want is for Pac-Man to be in ssb4 though, isn't why we're all here?

D

Deleted member

The interviewer is the one who mentioned the arcade style fs not Sakurai, so i don't really see your point.

An educated guess only gets you so far with Sakurai and in the end it's still just a guess. Forget the easteregg thing as it didn't really get my point across. I don't see the problem with having a cameo final smash especially since he's 3rd party. It hasn't been done before so it would be more original atleast. Just another upside.

What are we really debating about here? If it's the more likely fs I alrready admitted the power pellet was, all we can really say is that it's more likely you can't say for sure which it'll be or even if Pac-Man will get in the game. I'd still rather have the Mokujin mech, but that's just my opinion, and I'll continue to sport my opinion just as you sport yours.

All I really want is for Pac-Man to be in ssb4 though, isn't why we're all here?
The point is Sakurai knows of the final smash, that's more than can be said for any other final smash. All we know about them in fact is that they're in SSB4 and that Samus has her one from Brawl, at least for her suit. It was unusual the way that after the interviewer talked about Pac-Man, he then went into depth about something specific. This rarely ever happens.

I'm not drilling you, sorry if it seems that way. It simply doesn't seem at all likely for that to be the final smash. Just see my previous point, SFxT was not on a Nintendo system. Pac-Man on the Mokujin is an creation of Harada, the Tekken guy and that only further compounds the fact it won't be that because Sakurai would invent his own crazy thing if he went that route. Invent a new crazy thing if you're going to argue for it! No seriously, please do.

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
The point is Sakurai knows of the final smash, that's more than can be said for any other final smash. All we know about them in fact is that they're in SSB4 and that Samus has her one from Brawl, at least for her suit. It was unusual the way that after the interviewer talked about Pac-Man, he then went into depth about something specific. This rarely ever happens.

I'm not drilling you, sorry if it seems that way. It simply doesn't seem at all likely for that to be the final smash. Just see my previous point, SFxT was not on a Nintendo system. Pac-Man on the Mokujin is an creation of Harada, the Tekken guy and that only further compounds the fact it won't be that because Sakurai would invent his own crazy thing if he went that route. Invent a new crazy thing if you're going to argue for it! No seriously, please do.
Just because Sakurai talked to his interviewer about "what 3rd party character he'd most want in" doesn't mean he'd consider it, and why would he use the idea that some random interviewer gave him? Wouldn't he invent his own crazy idea if he were going to go that route? Also, Sakurai asked him about which 3rd party character he wanted not the other way around, meaning he was interested in the guys opinion before he even mentioned Pac-Man or fs idea. It had nothing to do specifically with Pac-Man, it could have been any 3rd party character. About Harada creating the Pac-man+Mokujin thing your point couldn't be more refuteable since Namco(specifically the Tekken team) is helping work on the game. If Pac-Man does get in they have just as much say in his direction as Sakurai does. And for the last time I never said my idea was likely, actually I remember saying the complete opposite so you don't have to say "it'd not at all likely" because I know. It is possible though, and that's good enough for me.

D

Deleted member

Just because Sakurai talked to his interviewer about "what 3rd party character he'd most want in" doesn't mean he'd consider it, and why would he use the idea that some random interviewer gave him? Wouldn't he invent his own crazy idea if he were going to go that route? Also, Sakurai asked him about which 3rd party character he wanted not the other way around, meaning he was interested in the guys opinion before he even mentioned Pac-Man or fs idea. It had nothing to do specifically with Pac-Man, it could have been any 3rd party character. About Harada creating the Pac-man+Mokujin thing your point couldn't be more refuteable since Namco(specifically the Tekken team) is helping work on the game. If Pac-Man does get in they have just as much say in his direction as Sakurai does. And for the last time I never said my idea was likely, actually I remember saying the complete opposite so you don't have to say "it'd not at all likely" because I know. It is possible though, and that's good enough for me.
To re-iterate, the interviewer talking about a specific potential newcomer is rare. That is why it's significant. You do not hear Sakurai talk about K. Rool or Ridley, but he talks at length about Pac-Man. He knows the final smash exists. You go on and on about "we don't know!!!" what Sakurai will do, but this is a perfect example of what we do know about Sakurai.

I just have to laugh at your accusatory tone, it's only topped by your presumptuousness. That Namco is working on the game does not make my argument "refuteable." Sakurai has already said that Namco is not getting any special treatment, so adding a huge reference to a spin-off game, that was not too successful I may add, is really, really random and stupid. There are plenty of other fun transformations for Pac-Man that also can be taken from one of his own games. Let me refer to my previous post on your last point: I assumed you thought it was likely because you never specifically said it wasn't, this was not a big point and it's just nitpicking my posts.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
wow, us pacman supporters really care for our character to even argue amongst each other. I agree, the power pellet should be his final smash because it is iconic and what people would want to see. Not many pacman fanatics are going to be happy seeing him in a robot suit that starred in one game, especially since the suit was a joke along with bad box art megaman (why don't we revert megaman to that in his final smash while we're at it). But everyone has there opinions and we all love pacman so lets save our debates and pick our fights with idiots that insult him without reason, not with each other. Now where were we exactly?

D

Deleted member

We're all passionate about the Pac.

I had an interesting idea today for a Pac-Man set. The side special could be a reverse minion summon, where instead Pac-Man runs away from a summoned Ghost. While he is forced to run a set distance, like many other side special recoveries, the Ghost and Pac-Man are hitboxes. The Ghost could be one of a variety of the different Pac-Man designs, differing in attributes like Olimar's Pikmin, or they could be a group of the original Ghosts. This would work into a "run away" playstyle for Pac-Man that would fit very well I think.

I also am still really interested in hearing what other miscellaneous things besides chomping, butt bombing and such can be performed by the Pac in higher-profile games, that should be in a moveset. I'm not a huge Pac-Man fan to be honest, I'm relying on those of you who are to fill in the blanks. For example, that glider he has in the one game, I assume that's not actually important enough to be included. Am I wrong?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Thanks to YouTube, I was able to watch the first few episodes of Pac Man & The Ghostly Adventures. The show is not that bad, but just not that phenomenal as any great Disney shows like Kim Possible and Gravity Falls. One thing for sure is that the show is overall better than most of the **** that's shown on Disney XD and is a massive improvement to the campy 80's Pac Man show (I prefer Hannah Barbara's more original shows like Scooby Doo). Pac Man is in his younger years before he met his wife and the show did a great job at portraying that, especially with his grief over the loss of his parents. He's still the gluttonous, goofy, and happy Pacster (His name before the mayor named him Pac Man) that we all know and love regardless. The portrayal of the Ghostly Gang is spot on, especially with Blinky and Pinky. Her "romance" with Pac Man is so adorable and makes up for the lack of Mrs. Pac Man in the sure. Their designs are a massive improvement from the recent games and actually look ghostly. As for Pac Man's design and voice, it will take a while to get used to. Especially for the fact that he has the fingers from Street Fighter x Tekken. I do agree that the opening is corny and that it should have had different lyrics or be an instrumental altogether. The music is cool at some points, especially that remix of a certain Pac Mania theme (I believe it was called Pac Man Park) used during the action scenes. Now for the side characters. Cylindrical and Spiral do look like the fit in with the Pac Man Party universe like the other characters and they are OK candidates for being his friends for the story. Betrayus is actually pretty likable since he actually has personality unlike other Pac Man villains like Spooky and Mollusk. Seeing him in every scene was like candy and he was both threatening and hilarious at the same time. The overall plot of the show and the monster designs actually look interesting unlike most Pac Man games in the past. The comedy can be a little corny, but there actually jokes that are pretty hilarious like the inside joke of Butt-ler and Buttocks's names and Fluffy the Poodle. The actions scenes are pretty cool too like the second part of the dragon fight. Most of the reviews I seen so far are rather positive and noted that it may be a hit or miss for old school Pac Man fans. Some of you may or may not like it, but this show will make our beloved Pac rise back to the top. They already have a second season planned for next year to boost his popularity and make the moolah. He would rise even more if Sakurai were to include him in Smash since he's as much of an icon as Mega and Sonic. This is my overall opinion of the show so far.

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
To re-iterate, the interviewer talking about a specific potential newcomer is rare. That is why it's significant. You do not hear Sakurai talk about K. Rool or Ridley, but he talks at length about Pac-Man. He knows the final smash exists. You go on and on about "we don't know!!!" what Sakurai will do, but this is a perfect example of what we do know about Sakurai.

I just have to laugh at your accusatory tone, it's only topped by your presumptuousness. That Namco is working on the game does not make my argument "refuteable." Sakurai has already said that Namco is not getting any special treatment, so adding a huge reference to a spin-off game, that was not too successful I may add, is really, really random and stupid. There are plenty of other fun transformations for Pac-Man that also can be taken from one of his own games. Let me refer to my previous post on your last point: I assumed you thought it was likely because you never specifically said it wasn't, this was not a big point and it's just nitpicking my posts.
Really? How many times have I said that it's not likely at all? How many? Atleast 3 times now, so stop saying I never specifically said it wasn't likely because I have. Are you just reading half my posts and ignoring the parts where I said it wasn't likely?

Yes he has talked extensively about sveral characters before. Ridley, Megaman, and Travis Touchdown to name a few so again, your point? Again Sakurai asked him. It could have been any character. You honestly think that means you know what Sakurai will do? That interview doesn't mean a thing and it's no indication of what Sakurai will do in the future. It's like your trying to connect dots that aren't even there. Has it occured to you that you're just as presumptuos as you make me out to be? It's extremely likely Pac-Man won't get in at all according to you so I don't see the problem with one move being a random cameo, but honestly I couldn't care less what his fs would be, I care much more about him actually getting in the game.

So you have been ignoring the parts in my post where I said my idea wasn't likely. I'm not saying it again. If you somehow miss it a third time then that's your fault not mine. Seriously if you're trying to debate which is more likely I already said the Power Pellet now would you please give it rest?

Not many pacman fanatics are going to be happy seeing him in a robot suit that starred in one game, especially since the suit was a joke along with bad box art megaman (why don't we revert megaman to that in his final smash while we're at it).
Come on man, don't even joke about that. If seeing Pac-Man in the Mokujin is as bad to all of you as original boxart Megaman was to everybody then I'll give it a rest.

D

Deleted member

honestly I couldn't care less what his fs would be, I care much more about him actually getting in the game.
You could have fooled me! And I suspect anyone else reading your arguments for the past few pages of this merry-go-round argument. No one else agrees your random idea is as clever or fun as you think it is, sorry to be so blunt, but it's true. I am not connecting dots that don't exist by simply pointing out that Sakurai knows the final smash idea exists. He has not talked about any other potential newcomer as recently as E3, let alone come in contact with an idea that specific.

So you have been ignoring the parts in my post where I said my idea wasn't likely. I'm not saying it again. If you somehow miss it a third time then that's your fault not mine. Seriously if you're trying to debate which is more likely I already said the Power Pellet now would you please give it rest?

I'm really growing tired of this strawman. Fine, you know what, I do think that you consider this mokujin robot final smash to be likely! There, you've won, I am the fool for implying you'd ever think such a thing. Here's a delicious pellet for your troubles.

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
You could have fooled me! And I suspect anyone else reading your arguments for the past few pages of this merry-go-round argument. No one else agrees your random idea is as clever or fun as you think it is, sorry to be so blunt, but it's true. I am not connecting dots that don't exist by simply pointing out that Sakurai knows the final smash idea exists. He has not talked about any other potential newcomer as recently as E3, let alone come in contact with an idea that specific.quote]

Why would I even be here debating about Pac-Man's fs if I didn't want him in the game? Answer me that. Believe me I'm fully aware what you all think of it. Didn't really need you to clear that up for me, but thanks anyways. You didn't get my pun in the connecting the dots metaphor? Pac-Man? Dots? Connecting? Whatever >_>
Anyways, you really are trying to make a connection that just doesn't work. You think just because Sakurai knows something exists he's going to use it. You're REALLY stretching there man. Also, " Sakurai would invent his own crazy thing if he went that route". would he not?

I'm really growing tired of this strawman. Fine, you know what, I do think that you consider this mokujin robot final smash to be likely! There, you've won, I am the fool for implying you'd ever think such a thing. Here's a delicious pellet for your troubles.
I have no idea what you're implying here, but thank you for the sort-of apology. Just to be clear I know the Mokujin is very unlikely, I'm not going to change my opinion just because it's unpopular though.

D

Deleted member

Why would I even be here debating about Pac-Man's fs if I didn't want him in the game? Answer me that. Believe me I'm fully aware what you all think of it. Didn't really need you to clear that up for me, but thanks anyways. You didn't get my pun in the connecting the dots metaphor? Pac-Man? Dots? Connecting? Whatever >_>
Anyways, you really are trying to make a connection that just doesn't work. You think just because Sakurai knows something exists he's going to use it. You're REALLY stretching there man. Also, " Sakurai would invent his own crazy thing if he went that route". would he not?

Sarcasm doesn't carry well through text; I was being facetious about it, because you've talked so long about the subject. I never suggested he's definitely going to use it, but it's not like he objected to the idea either. Plus we already have plenty of strong reasons on top of that.

Uh, yeah, Sakurai would create his own crazy thing, "would he not?"? You tell me...?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Smash Daddy not being able to get the pun is ironic, seeing that he himself had made the "A-maze-ing" pun in the thread title which probably few of us (not including me) understood. :p

D

Deleted member

I got the pun! But it was so subtle I thought it may just be me. I'm on another level of pun to you all.

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
Sarcasm doesn't carry well through text; I was being facetious about it, because you've talked so long about the subject. I never suggested he's definitely going to use it, but it's not like he objected to the idea either. Plus we already have plenty of strong reasons on top of that.

Uh, yeah, Sakurai would create his own crazy thing, "would he not?"? You tell me...?
Oh okay. I thought you were being sarcasticI just wasn't sure. Exactly! He knows about the idea but that's it. It really doesn't help you support your argument any more than the Tekken team being devs supportsa mine. Still don't get what we're arguing about btw. It's in no way a reason for him to use it, a REAL reason for him to use it would be that 99% of the internet agrees a power pellet would make the best fs, not that some random guy suggested it.

You obviously think Sakurai is more into creating his own things than using other people's ideas as you're the one who said "Sakurai would create his own crazy thing" not me, I just quoted it. That being said you''ve already answered the question for yourself.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
We're all passionate about the Pac.

I had an interesting idea today for a Pac-Man set. The side special could be a reverse minion summon, where instead Pac-Man runs away from a summoned Ghost. While he is forced to run a set distance, like many other side special recoveries, the Ghost and Pac-Man are hitboxes. The Ghost could be one of a variety of the different Pac-Man designs, differing in attributes like Olimar's Pikmin, or they could be a group of the original Ghosts. This would work into a "run away" playstyle for Pac-Man that would fit very well I think.

I also am still really interested in hearing what other miscellaneous things besides chomping, butt bombing and such can be performed by the Pac in higher-profile games, that should be in a moveset. I'm not a huge Pac-Man fan to be honest, I'm relying on those of you who are to fill in the blanks. For example, that glider he has in the one game, I assume that's not actually important enough to be included. Am I wrong?
Probably not, when you look at the grand picture, since it was only used in one game (which would make Super Pac-Man, his slingshot, and his hover shoes off-limits as well). Honestly, the only games besides the arcade classics that Pac-Man can really pull from are the World games, in which he has little more than your basic assortment of generic platforming abilities. That doesn't mean he has no moveset potential, however.

But you know, that "run away" playstyle is actually a great idea. I've been pushing for Pac-Man for a while now, but I've never thought they could do more with him than make him a general "all-around" combatant akin to Mario. But the running away sort of game you suggest fits perfectly with the character, considering his origins, and I daresay that with enough thought and moveset consideration, it could actually become an impressive interpretation of the character.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Why would anybody want any final smash for Pacman BUT his power pellet? It's just so perfect. Yeah the robotamicmajigger would be cool, but if you want Pacman in the game in the first place then it's because he's Pacman...and the Power Pellet is just Pacman. It's part of the character if you ask me. But anyways, I think his new look should be used! He's not iconic because NamcoBandai just doesn't know how to handle an icon like Pacman...but there's no way he will be if he get's no stage time.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I was just down at the rate their chane forum for pac-man today...I never want to go back. It's like megaman is a god there and pac-man is a peasant. We really do have a lot of animosity toward our character don't we? now about the running away game for pac-man, ehhh I wouldn't reall like it. He would be a coward and play like he does in mugen which is pretty laughable. Pac-Man should use moves from all his series and not one game. No character in smash uses moves from one game. Using the platformer moves for his specials and using classic arcade moves for his smashes would be really cool. Like as a down smash 2 ghosts on both sides of pac-man can go out and attack enemies as the move outward for a set distance, overpowered and classic, while his forward smash can be a chomp from the arcade, and his up smash can be the uppercut jump from his world series, while his side be can be like in the arcade when he eats a certain item that splits him into 2 and he can go out and attack enemies on while the other pacman clone acts as a parallel and walks and does attacks in the opposite direction of the screen. You should add these to the OP because this fits the need of people who want moves from the arcade game of pacman, and people who want moves from the platformer games of pac-man.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
I was just down at the rate their chane forum for pac-man today...I never want to go back. It's like megaman is a god there and pac-man is a peasant. We really do have a lot of animosity toward our character don't we?
people hate what they dont understand

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Pac-Man has a large hatebase on Smash internet forums, but that doesn't reflect the overall opinion of the character. I just think (and correct me if I'm wrong) most people who don't like Pac-Man simply don't think he'd be interesting and wouldn't want to play as him. I think it's a weak argument against his inclusion, however, as there's tons the development team could do with him.

Looking at the general gaming public, Pac-Man is a legend, so even if he isn't the most well-liked, he's undoubtedly one of the most recognizable, iconic candidates for the game. He fits right in for that reason.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
New Moveset: this accommodates to both people who want a more platformer moveset and to those who want more of an arcade moveset

Side smash: Pac-Man leans forward and chomps the opponent (Classic)

Down smash: does a butt bounce in place and does damage in a radius similar to donkey kong's ground pound (Platformer)

Up smash: does his iconic jump from the world series and does damage like an uppercut. (Platformer)

Up special: throws out a line of pac dots in whatever direction you turn the control stick and eats them. Can cling onto the stage (Platformer)

Down special: Pacman sends out two ghosts on both sides of him to attack nearby enemies. Once they hit the opponent they disappear. The ghost on each side differ each time so their unpredictable. Each of the ghosts have a different ability based on their personality (Classic)

Red: Chases the opponent on his side for 5 seconds wherever they turn or run. Does the second most damage out of all of them. (10%)

Pink: Goes after the opponent the quickest. Does the 3rd most damage out of all of them. (9%)

Inky: Attacks the opponent but comes back immediately like a boomerang (can hit opponents twice). Does the least damage out of all of them. (5%)

Clyde: Goes out the slowest and doesn't normally target who he is supposed to. It can be anyone, whether they are on his side or not. Does the most damage out of all of them. (12%)

Side special: Pacman eats a cyan pill and it makes a reflection of himself appear for 9 seconds on the opposite place on the stage and whatever move the player uses with pac-man, the reflection does the same. (classic)

D

Deleted member

I appreciate using the ghosts as I suggested, but it'd be weird if Pac-Man summons them! I would want them to chase him and then probably dissipate shortly after, or maybe something more fancy, however summoning them implies they're helping him which is awkward for the character.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I appreciate using the ghosts as I suggested, but it'd be weird if Pac-Man summons them! I would want them to chase him and then probably dissipate shortly after, or maybe something more fancy, however summoning them implies they're helping him which is awkward for the character.
Well, the ghosts have helped pacman in many games

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
idk about the ghosts being part of his moveset. maybe a stage hazard or the assist trophy, but not really as part of his moveset

Top Bottom