• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

NimbusSpark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NimbusSpark
I have to say that yesterday and today have been quite eventful for me, my confidence as a Smash 4 Player growing overall.

Well, here we go.

Yesterday I had one of those fetes are school, where there was also an unoffical Smash 4 Tourney set up by one of my mates in which I signed up for a month or two before. And I ended up winning the entire tourney.
Beating last years champ, a Yoshi, (whom I honestly despise playing against, and who also beat me last year at Brawl in the semi-finals) in my second match. Then moved on and did two more battles, once again winning both. Then went to the finals, and won that by timing out a Falcon 2 stocks to 1 in a 3 Stock match, against my friend who in fact did set up the tournament.

Then tonight I was just simply playing For Glory when I somehow ended up coming across Waveguider, one of Australia's best Smash 4 players (3rd according to ELO Rankings). Miraculously I ended up beating him and his Greninja 3 times in a row, the first time with Falco, whom I've been somewhat training with and the last two times as Pac. And to confirm that he wasn't a fraud, I ended up saying that his Greninja play was good on QLD Smash, which he replied saying he was trash and there was lag, then added me onto his friends list.

Although I must admit this was online (but I have saved the replays of me as Pac-Man as proof), I'm certainly no Abadango right now, nor am I even getting close to Pacman9 here, whom I recall beat Nairo online.

All I wanted to do with this post was to share how I've been going recently.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I played an online tourney where I didn't lose a single set in pools. In bracket got DQ'd in winners due to connect issues, in losers it's like we were playing a side tournament where the theme is the game in lag. Lost that

Should be moving in a few weeks, don't think I'll join another online tournament till then

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
So this is what happens when I leave for a week long cruise vacation. Negativity and complaining :^)

JK. I understand the frustration. I was close to selling the game when I realized that we got nerfed again lol.

Just keep moving forward. I still believe in this character wholeheartedly. I don't believe we'll ever be top tier without a patch, but I do believe that we are still viable and will stay that way. If we get a buff, we'll celebrate!! But for now, let's advance Pac's meta the best we can.

And, congratulations @ Zage Zage !! We need to fight again. The last time we fought on smash ladder was the most in I've ever had in a ditto lol. I was Procyon

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
Awesome ill be there !!!!!!! Im hoping i get far! Ill probably go straight default again, you can play later tho? Id like to see pac customs in action, i have sets and im decent with them, i just enjoy default the most.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Awesome ill be there !!!!!!! Im hoping i get far! Ill probably go straight default again, you can play later tho? Id like to see pac customs in action, i have sets and im decent with them, i just enjoy default the most.
I'll bring my 3ds, I think more likely than not they'll let me transfer customs. Let me know if you need any sets.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Lets totally coach each other if we see the other having a problem in a matchup.

BSP

Smash Legend
@ M Maziyah yeah we can play when i get a chance. I should still have you added, so I should see you online and vice versa.

As for the local tourney today, I got second to Brawlman. Craig wasn't there tonight, so no Rosalina run back this time. I'll try to take the set next time we play though.

As awful as my record against Brawlman is at this point, I still don't think Pac-Man vs Sonic is any worse than 40:60 for us. He's getting pretty smart about how to handle my hydrant and fruits, so I need to step my game up to keep up. He's made grab a near non-option :( .

TBH I need to change it up completely and start tossing out my lower fruits like cherry, strawberry, orange, and apple more to bait shields / rolls and punish those with trampoline. At the least, if he takes them, that gives me time to set something up + he loses his tilts and grab. I probably should mess with z dropping the lower fruits as well just to have more hitboxes out. I need to stop throwing out trampoline in neutral when I can't grab a ledge as well. Since he consistently blocks my Keys / Bells, why keep using only them, right?

Actually, now that I think about it, throwing my lower fruits constantly might be a thing. Not only will it be conditioning, but if he takes them, he loses his main tools that he uses to get % on me. Sonic holding a cherry/strawberry/orange can't grab, Fsmash, ftilt, or anything. If he spindashes, I'll clank with it and I should win the ensuing scuffle because I'm pretty sure our jab is faster than his Fthrow item toss.

Rapid fired strawberries, unless stolen, also probably will deplete shields faster than they regenerate. Something else to look into.

Last edited:

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
Lets totally coach each other if we see the other having a problem in a matchup.
Dont worry bro i got you ! I watched some of your vids, if you wanna wanna play we can, we could give each other pointers.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
@ M Maziyah yeah we can play when i get a chance. I should still have you added, so I should see you online and vice versa.

As for the local tourney today, I got second to Brawlman. Craig wasn't there tonight, so no Rosalina run back this time. I'll try to take the set next time we play though.

As awful as my record against Brawlman is at this point, I still don't think Pac-Man vs Sonic is any worse than 40:60 for us. He's getting pretty smart about how to handle my hydrant and fruits, so I need to step my game up to keep up. He's made grab a near non-option :( .

TBH I need to change it up completely and start tossing out my lower fruits like cherry, strawberry, orange, and apple more to bait shields / rolls and punish those with trampoline. At the least, if he takes them, that gives me time to set something up + he loses his tilts and grab. I probably should mess with z dropping the lower fruits as well just to have more hitboxes out. I need to stop throwing out trampoline in neutral when I can't grab a ledge as well. Since he consistently blocks my Keys / Bells, why keep using only them, right?

Actually, now that I think about it, throwing my lower fruits constantly might be a thing. Not only will it be conditioning, but if he takes them, he loses his main tools that he uses to get % on me. Sonic holding a cherry/strawberry/orange can't grab, Fsmash, ftilt, or anything. If he spindashes, I'll clank with it and I should win the ensuing scuffle because I'm pretty sure our jab is faster than his Fthrow item toss.

Rapid fired strawberries, unless stolen, also probably will deplete shields faster than they regenerate. Something else to look into.
When Sonic jumps on your trampoline, how are you handiling it? I've learned it's important not to try to nair or fair them away because it can be beaten, you should only be back airing Sonic since it beats all his areal approach(including the homing attack)

Also I've just realised than running fruit throw is a thing. When you try to grab sonic does he roll away? Because an option select I'm fooling around with is dash grabing and once they try rolling out of it I'll stop dash grabbing and instead run key throw ether regular or reverse depending on the way they roll. It something that'd take a lot of practice to master though.

BSP

Smash Legend
When Sonic jumps on your trampoline, how are you handiling it? I've learned it's important not to try to nair or fair them away because it can be beaten, you should only be back airing Sonic since it beats all his areal approach(including the homing attack)

Also I've just realised than running fruit throw is a thing. When you try to grab sonic does he roll away? Because an option select I'm fooling around with is dash grabing and once they try rolling out of it I'll stop dash grabbing and instead run key throw ether regular or reverse depending on the way they roll. It something that'd take a lot of practice to master though.
He usually avoids the trampoline. If he's facing me, I try to contest with Fair, Bair, or hold my ground with Utilt. If he's got his back to me, I'll either bair or shield what he does. I prefer shielding because I believe our Bairs will trade, which is 2% in his favor.

When he thinks I'll go for a grab, he tends to roll away. Pac-Man isn't fast enough to get over there with a strike before Sonic can shield, nor can he get on top for a trampoline before Sonic can do something in retaliation. The option select you proposed is probably what I need to try doing, but it should also work with Orange and possibly strawberry. Key takes a good bit to get.

Yeah, I need to work more orange and strawberry into my game. I'm playing too predictable at this point. Another thing: when opponents steal our non piercing fruits off of shield by jump -> aerial/airdodge, I think we can punish if we're close. I'll try to keep this in mind as I throw lower fruits from the other side of a trampoline.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
He usually avoids the trampoline. If he's facing me, I try to contest with Fair, Bair, or hold my ground with Utilt. If he's got his back to me, I'll either bair or shield what he does. I prefer shielding because I believe our Bairs will trade, which is 2% in his favor.

When he thinks I'll go for a grab, he tends to roll away. Pac-Man isn't fast enough to get over there with a strike before Sonic can shield, nor can he get on top for a trampoline before Sonic can do something in retaliation. The option select you proposed is probably what I need to try doing, but it should also work with Orange and possibly strawberry. Key takes a good bit to get.

Yeah, I need to work more orange and strawberry into my game. I'm playing too predictable at this point. Another thing: when opponents steal our non piercing fruits off of shield by jump -> aerial/airdodge, I think we can punish if we're close. I'll try to keep this in mind as I throw lower fruits from the other side of a trampoline.
Do not be afraid to Clash Sonic's bair with your own, your bair has much more actice frames and has a much wider hitbox that Sonic does, more likely than not you'll beat him. That collision is in your favor.

Also if you had the key charged up it's best to save it. Sonic's like to f-smash because they think it's safe. But it's easily punishable with key on shield even if you don't power shield it.

BSP

Smash Legend
Do not be afraid to Clash Sonic's bair with your own, your bair has much more actice frames and has a much wider hitbox that Sonic does, more likely than not you'll beat him. That collision is in your favor.

Also if you had the key charged up it's best to save it. Sonic's like to f-smash because they think it's safe. But it's easily punishable with key on shield even if you don't power shield it.
Are you sure about our Bair vs Sonic's? I was messing around with it in training mode. Our Bair is faster, but I'm pretty sure Sonic's has more range. If they're thrown out at remotely the same time, Sonic is more likely to nail Pac-Man's lingering boots for 14% while he takes a measly 7% or whatever our soft Bair does. I don't think challenging it is the best idea.

TBH it's really hard to hit Brawlman with Keys as of late. I wish we had a bonus shield damage move like Villager's ax to discourage excessive shielding, but w/e devs. Leave us to suffer :(

Abadango took 13th at the most recent Umebura. Pac-Man seems bottom of high tier or high mid at this point. Pre patch Pac-Man would be fine in this meta, but no. Gotta use FG and input lag games to decide how strong Pac-Man's zoning tools are. >_>

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Are you sure about our Bair vs Sonic's? I was messing around with it in training mode. Our Bair is faster, but I'm pretty sure Sonic's has more range. If they're thrown out at remotely the same time, Sonic is more likely to nail Pac-Man's lingering boots for 14% while he takes a measly 7% or whatever our soft Bair does. I don't think challenging it is the best idea.

TBH it's really hard to hit Brawlman with Keys as of late. I wish we had a bonus shield damage move like Villager's ax to discourage excessive shielding, but w/e devs. Leave us to suffer :(

Abadango took 13th at the most recent Umebura. Pac-Man seems bottom of high tier or high mid at this point.
Well you have to remember that abadango uses wario and rosa as well. It seems more likely that it was abadango's skill level that wasn't on par with the people who scored higher than him.

You gotta practice DITCIT more dude. The toss beats reaction time and can lead to kill confirms in mid range. If they expect the DITCIT and shield the fruit, you can immediately grab them while they are still in their shield drop animation.

BSP

Smash Legend
Well you have to remember that abadango uses wario and rosa as well. It seems more likely that it was abadango's skill level that wasn't on par with the people who scored higher than him.

You gotta practice DITCIT more dude. The toss beats reaction time and can lead to kill confirms in mid range. If they expect the DITCIT and shield the fruit, you can immediately grab them while they are still in their shield drop animation.
You could be right, but Abadango hung right with those guys in Brawl. There might be a skill gap, but I don't think it's that big.

I do need to practice DITCIT, but it still falls to shield and is telegraphed because the fruit is in Pac-Man's hand. I don't foresee myself grabbing anyone from it because if it were happening to me, I'd shield the fruit and respond with something OOS or a roll. Pac-Man isn't fast enough to punish a roll away with something lethal, and punishing the roll towards requires a hard read. OOS option will hit him unless he goes on the defensive, and there goes the pressure.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100

Abadango took 13th at the most recent Umebura. Pac-Man seems bottom of high tier or high mid at this point.
Maybe I need to test it out a bit more, but Sonic should have to be reads to beat your bair out simply given frama data and hitboxes. And Also unles oyu hit with the Sour Spot Pacman's bair does 12%

I'm thinking Pacman is mid mid-tier at this point. I've gotten 9th place at my two tournaments after the patch. You really have to outplay you're opponent quite a bit to given his lack of strong offense tools with not enough to make up for it. It's especially worse since more tournaments are going with customs off.

Edit: Considering Abandango's placement at Evo and Apex I don't think a skill gap is the problem. In Smash4 it doesn't not appear as if the Japanese scene is stronger than America.

Last edited:

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
For Sonic does anyone know how the fruit interact with his side B and Down B? I throw out fruits and it seems to be very random whether it beats it, ties or loses.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
For Sonic does anyone know how the fruit interact with his side B and Down B? I throw out fruits and it seems to be very random whether it beats it, ties or loses.
All of Sonic's spin ashes have some level of invincibility near startup. After that period you're fruits should beat it.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Startup as in he's starting to move or as in he's starting the charge?
Sonic does not retain invinciblity if he sits there charging indefinately, however if he gains additional frames of invinciblity after moving is something I'm unaware of.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
What I meant when I posted originally was when Sonic is coming at me and I counter by throwing a melon or something, sometimes that fruit will beat his spindash and sometimes it clanks. Not too often it will even lose completely and then I get combed cause I wasn't shielding.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
What I meant when I posted originally was when Sonic is coming at me and I counter by throwing a melon or something, sometimes that fruit will beat his spindash and sometimes it clanks. Not too often it will even lose completely and then I get combed cause I wasn't shielding.
I understand what you're saying, what I was getting at it typcally sonic players come at you immediately after starting up the spin-dash. I know it has invinciblity on start up, I'm not sure if there is he gains additional invincibility while he starts to move.

To be clear though Sonic's invinciblity to on start up will definately carry over to him approaching you with it. So if you want to be heat out of it, basically don't try it he started the spin dash too close to you or too quickly. You can also just move backwards when he starts charging and then throw the fruit since his invinciblity should have ran out.

BSP

Smash Legend
To be more specific, Sonic has some invincibility on spin dash (the one with the hop) when he begins the hop. It's a really short period, but it's there and will beat pretty much anything. Spin charge has no invincibility that I'm aware of, but there's not much reason for Sonic to use it in the first place.

I've had near random results with my fruits vs spin dash as well, but cherry and strawberry are usually pretty good at hitting him. I've yet to have a fruit flat out lose to spin dash.

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
3 Pac-man going to Nebulas ! Lets do this shinji and @ Froggy Froggy we got one day left to train and so forth. Lets get pac man on stream and lets get as high as we possibly can :)

Top Bottom