• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

BSP

Smash Legend
Summary time:

3rd in teams. Nothing to seriously note except winner's and loser's finals. In winners we lost to double peach. That was the team we really didn't want run into, but oh well. In loser's, we lost game 5 against Sethlon and Denti. I almost clutched an EPIC 2 v 1 out, but I couldn't pull it off. Earlier in the match, I also missed a Bthrow Fair from brawlman that would've sealed the deal for us. Typical me when it counts. On the plus side, Sonic Dthrow -> Mario smashes worked like a charm.

3/39th in singles. As for wins that people may recognize, I beat Denti's Yoshi / Diddy Kong in winners semis. I lost winner's finals to Brawlman's Sonic 3-2 once again, although the games were quite close (I'm pretty set on 60-40 Sonic favor). Denti straight up bopped me in Loser's finals with Sheik, 3-0 no contest. I can see why Abadango refuses to use Pac-Man in the MU. He's too slow to keep up with Sheik. She's our worst MU for sure. I did a bit better with Mario, but still didn't have much of a chance since I've been focusing on Pac-Man for singles.

Everything I said above about Luigi? I stand by it. Trampoline really messes him up and makes his approach super predictable and punishable.

I did some friendlies with Captain Zack (Peach) with Pac-Man. That's another MU where I'm going Mario for sure. It may be my style, but Peach can stay on us pretty well IMO and any trades are HEAVILY in her favor. Trampoline does basically nothing due to Peach's float game, and she can launch hydrant easily and quickly. I'm not sure how we're supposed to keep her off of us. Ugh, I'm probably never going Pac-Man again in that MU.

So yeah...people get hype for Pac-Man because nobody plays him. The crowd was pretty much always with me.

Edit: I almost forgot. I got the most fraudulent hydrant that will ever happen IMO. Vs. Denti's Yoshi, I was sitting in shield at high % because I knew Usmash was coming. He realizes this and goes for a down B. I had planted my hydrant a second ago.

My Hydrant water shoots him way up into the air and way past the ledge for the KO. Literally the dumbest thing I have ever seen in smash.

Edit2: also, as of 1.0.9, I think our trampoline can teleport people in addition to pulling people through the stage. They broke the move in the last few patches lol.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Summary time:

3rd in teams. Nothing to seriously note except winner's and loser's finals. In winners we lost to double peach. That was the team we really didn't want run into, but oh well. In loser's, we lost game 5 against Sethlon and Denti. I almost clutched an EPIC 2 v 1 out, but I couldn't pull it off. Earlier in the match, I also missed a Bthrow Fair from brawlman that would've sealed the deal for us. Typical me when it counts. On the plus side, Sonic Dthrow -> Mario smashes worked like a charm.

3/39th in singles. As for wins that people may recognize, I beat Denti's Yoshi / Diddy Kong in winners semis. I lost winner's finals to Brawlman's Sonic 3-2 once again, although the games were quite close (I'm pretty set on 60-40 Sonic favor). Denti straight up bopped me in Loser's finals with Sheik, 3-0 no contest. I can see why Abadango refuses to use Pac-Man in the MU. He's too slow to keep up with Sheik. She's our worst MU for sure. I did a bit better with Mario, but still didn't have much of a chance since I've been focusing on Pac-Man for singles.

Everything I said above about Luigi? I stand by it. Trampoline really messes him up and makes his approach super predictable and punishable.

I did some friendlies with Captain Zack (Peach) with Pac-Man. That's another MU where I'm going Mario for sure. It may be my style, but Peach can stay on us pretty well IMO and any trades are HEAVILY in her favor. Trampoline does basically nothing due to Peach's float game, and she can launch hydrant easily and quickly. I'm not sure how we're supposed to keep her off of us. Ugh, I'm probably never going Pac-Man again in that MU.

So yeah...people get hype for Pac-Man because nobody plays him. The crowd was pretty much always with me.

Edit: I almost forgot. I got the most fraudulent hydrant that will ever happen IMO. Vs. Denti's Yoshi, I was sitting in shield at high % because I knew Usmash was coming. He realizes this and goes for a down B. I had planted my hydrant a second ago.

My Hydrant water shoots him way up into the air and way past the ledge for the KO. Literally the dumbest thing I have ever seen in smash.

Edit2: also, as of 1.0.9, I think our trampoline can teleport people in addition to pulling people through the stage. They broke the move in the last few patches lol.
Excellent dude! Sorry to hear about that shiek match though. She's just so overly polarizing by nature.

The peach matchup may have just been matchup inexperience. Trampoline is useless, but then you realize that fruits and hydrants are crazy good in that matchup. Jab launched hydrants and apples completely prevent float approaches while trampoline OoS is actually fast enough to punish her unpunishable D-air. Peach can't really get in through float because we cover the diagonal and high horizontal really well with our projectiles. Peach should struggle to get in on the ground due to her low run speed. Don't challenge her air game with yours (her Fair is stupid), challenge it with fruit. You don't want to use your air game until peach comes in close, then we can utilize our superior frame data. I recommend running from peach a lot in this matchup. We have the superior mobility overall and can abuse this to set up traps that we normally couldn't against people like shiek.

I would even go so far as to use trampolines anyway to force her to float, then blast a utilt hydrant at her face when she can't avoid it :x
But that's just me. I like to be tricky :p

I play a lot with a friend that mains peach and have fought @ Macchiato Macchiato 's peach before. Peach is a character that should dislike zoners since she has a slow approach and has to come in without a shield most of the time.

Last edited:

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Excellent dude! Sorry to hear about that shiek match though. She's just so overly polarizing by nature.

The peach matchup may have just been matchup inexperience. Trampoline is useless, but then you realize that fruits and hydrants are crazy good in that matchup. Jab launched hydrants and apples completely prevent float approaches while trampoline OoS is actually fast enough to punish her unpunishable D-air. Peach can't really get in through float because we cover the diagonal and high horizontal really well with our projectiles. Peach should struggle to get in on the ground due to her low run speed. Don't challenge her air game with yours (her Fair is stupid), challenge it with fruit. You don't want to use your air game until peach comes in close, then we can utilize our superior frame data. I recommend running from peach a lot in this matchup. We have the superior mobility overall and can abuse this to set up traps that we normally couldn't against people like shiek.

I would even go so far as to use trampolines anyway to force her to float, then blast a utilt hydrant at her face when she can't avoid it :x
But that's just me. I like to be tricky :p

I play a lot with a friend that mains peach and have fought @ Macchiato Macchiato 's peach before. Peach is a character that should dislike zoners since she has a slow approach and has to come in without a shield most of the time.
tbh I know nothing about Pacman. With Peach I spammed Peach bomber, Dair, and Fair. With Zelda I spammed Farore's Wind. I don't understand Pac-Man. Even now I still don't

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Sorry for taking a while to reply, but ty for all of the advice. I feel like I'm already doing most of this (Although there are some things I need to work back into my game) but I am probably not playing it as lame as I should. That and/or I am just getting outplayed (This Luigi is one of the better OH players, even if no one seems to know about him since he doesn't travel as much as he should).

One more question though:

All of this advice focused on a Luigi trying to approach me. What do I do if he just sits back with the life lead and just waits?

Also good **** BSP!

BSP

Smash Legend
Sorry for taking a while to reply, but ty for all of the advice. I feel like I'm already doing most of this (Although there are some things I need to work back into my game) but I am probably not playing it as lame as I should. That and/or I am just getting outplayed (This Luigi is one of the better OH players, even if no one seems to know about him since he doesn't travel as much as he should).

One more question though:

All of this advice focused on a Luigi trying to approach me. What do I do if he just sits back with the life lead and just waits?

Also good **** BSP!
Thanks.

For someone full bent on sitting back with the lead, I would that take that time and either:

Get a galaxian in my hand. I would plant a hydrant as close to them as possible, throw the galaxian at it and towards them, Fair launch the hydrant at them, and then follow both myself. If they don't get hit by something, they're either losing a lot of shield or doing something that you can punish.

Get a Key in hand and instant launch hydrants constantly. I believe if you spam instant launched hydrants and they keep shielding, you'll wear the shield down faster than it regenerates. During this, be on stand-by with the Key in your hand, ready to punish anything on reaction.

Get a Melon, Orange, Galaxian, or Bell and do the delayed hydrant launch with the upwards water spout. Familiarize yourself with how each one launches it beforehand though.

Get a bell and do the delayed Bell gush.

Now that I think about it, I got needle camped to death by Sheik on Duck Hunt. I'm thinking to myself, "........Why did I let that happen? I am the most dangerous character given setup time." I should've taken my time to get a Key in hand to instant launch hydrants all day.

Sigh, that's what happens when you get frustrated as Pac-Man. You forget critical options that can change the tide of the game.

NimbusSpark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NimbusSpark
I've recently realised something about Pac-Man when he's played in Smash Bros 4 - he's basically the anti-meta character within this entire game.

Take the current metagame of Smash 4 - most of the Top Tier characters noticeably focus on rushdown, grabbing, getting in there and beating you down with heavy pressure. Compared to other characters, Pac doesn't have those abilites. His overall speed is pretty mediocre, his grab is terrible (although, it can punish spotdodges due to having lingering hitboxes, something barely any other grab can do) therefore giving him a terrible anti-shield game outside of Trampoline, and he can't pressure too well, as it requires set-up with for a reward that isn't substantial.

The thing that sets Pac apart from others is that he can actually combat against most of these High-Tiers just because his overall game can actually cancel out some of the things most characters have going for them.
Take Luigi - a character that thrives on grab combos, and has access of a great neutral via fireballs, both of which are canceled by Pac - his Trampoline and Hydrant give him an amazing neutral and anti-grab game, not to mention he can exploit Luigi's absolutely terrible aerial mobility. And we're pretty much one of the best characters against him in the game.
For other examples, we can also take out Shiek's ability to Needle Camp via Hydrant, or pretty much everything Little Mac has via Trampoline, etc.

Although, it is agreeable that Pac is not easy to master. Players will need to manage three different things simultaneously, which in this case, his Bonus Fruit, Hydrant and Trampolines, thus making a character that requires smaller room for errors and mistakes. And if that's not enough, he's actually a character that is generally affected by the players experience with a certain matchup more than others - Pac simply doesn't all win positive matchups just by being Pac-Man. He actually has to work in a specific way just to make them a positive matchup. Either way, Pac is a character I'm happy to be. Being all rushdown and grabby is fun and all, but generally it's nice to be a little different.

Just a little something I've thought about. Thanks if you did read this all.

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
I've recently realised something about Pac-Man when he's played in Smash Bros 4 - he's basically the anti-meta character within this entire game.

Take the current metagame of Smash 4 - most of the Top Tier characters noticeably focus on rushdown, grabbing, getting in there and beating you down with heavy pressure. Compared to other characters, Pac doesn't have those abilites. His overall speed is pretty mediocre, his grab is terrible (although, it can punish spotdodges due to having lingering hitboxes, something barely any other grab can do) therefore giving him a terrible anti-shield game outside of Trampoline, and he can't pressure too well, as it requires set-up with for a reward that isn't substantial.

The thing that sets Pac apart from others is that he can actually combat against most of these High-Tiers just because his overall game can actually cancel out some of the things most characters have going for them.
Take Luigi - a character that thrives on grab combos, and has access of a great neutral via fireballs, both of which are canceled by Pac - his Trampoline and Hydrant give him an amazing neutral and anti-grab game, not to mention he can exploit Luigi's absolutely terrible aerial mobility. And we're pretty much one of the best characters against him in the game.
For other examples, we can also take out Shiek's ability to Needle Camp via Hydrant, or pretty much everything Little Mac has via Trampoline, etc.

Although, it is agreeable that Pac is not easy to master. Players will need to manage three different things simultaneously, which in this case, his Bonus Fruit, Hydrant and Trampolines, thus making a character that requires smaller room for errors and mistakes. And if that's not enough, he's actually a character that is generally affected by the players experience with a certain matchup more than others - Pac simply doesn't all win positive matchups just by being Pac-Man. He actually has to work in a specific way just to make them a positive matchup. Either way, Pac is a character I'm happy to be. Being all rushdown and grabby is fun and all, but generally it's nice to be a little different.

Just a little something I've thought about. Thanks if you did read this all.
Seriously plus unlike other characters we live off of mix-ups if you cant mix it up you cam safely assume youll lose. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed because we have so many tricks as pac-man i sometimes forget to use some in matches!

BSP

Smash Legend
@ NimbusSpark NimbusSpark I agree completely. Pac-Man has some considerable strengths, but no "I win" button and an awful grab. Thus, he continues to be overshadowed by characters with more obvious strengths. The dude can basically shut down the typical game plan of Mario, Luigi, Sonic, Falcon, Mac, Fox, arguably Rosalina (can't think of many MUs where she should approach), Diddy, and others, yet he remains unexplored. It's a shame really.

Last edited:

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
I really cool thing i noticed is depending on the character their emd lag off the dead tramp is different. Such as luigi and fox both of their recoveries done on stage results in a laggy fall animation, the same fall animation is used here, hemce luigi turns upside down amd hes so easy to punish.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
@ NimbusSpark NimbusSpark I agree completely. Pac-Man has some considerable strengths, but no "I win" button and an awful grab. Thus, he continues to be overshadowed by characters with more obvious strengths. The dude can basically shut down the typical game plan of Mario, Luigi, Sonic, Falcon, Mac, Fox, arguably Rosalina (can't think of many MUs where she should approach), Diddy, and others, yet he remains unexplored. It's a shame really.
It's probably due to how scarce he is in the Meta like Olimar and Peach. That and his setups are take various different situations to happen and last his movement is average at best.

:4pacman: has some insane stuff he brings but it takes him winning a major to show that light and ZeRo doesn't play Pac-Man

Tattles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goldbit
Does Pacman's Uair actually propel him upwards like it seems it does? If so, then is it ideal to Jump>Uair>Upb? (Similar to Marth's Jump>DB1>Upb.)

BSP

Smash Legend
It's probably due to how scarce he is in the Meta like Olimar and Peach. That and his setups are take various different situations to happen and last his movement is average at best.

:4pacman: has some insane stuff he brings but it takes him winning a major to show that light and ZeRo doesn't play Pac-Man
Not really on that last part. Most of the theory we Pac-Men throw around on the boards is very easy to apply in matches. In fact, there are 2 tricks I've seen on here that I don't use that often: U-turn pellet and DITCIT. I need to practice DITCIT more and I don't see U turn pellet working that often.

I guess people don't believe us or try it for themselves. I would've thought Abadango taking 8th at Apex out of nowhere would kickstart his popularity, but it hasn't happened.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I'm telling you, DITCIT will be crazy in the future. My lowest percentage kills have come from it (I'm talking sub 110%)
I need to start recording more matches

In the future (or 20XX if that's what you like to call it) overlooked techniques such as perfect pivoting, footstool combos, and DITCIT will have made a huge splash on the meta. And it's awesome that we have access to all 3

Last edited:

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
I'm telling you, DITCIT will be crazy in the future. My lowest percentage kills have come from it (I'm talking sub 110%)
I need to start recording more matches

In the future (or 20XX if that's what you like to call it) overlooked techniques such as perfect pivoting, footstool combos, and DITCIT will made a huge splash on the meta. And it's awesome that we have access to all 3
Hey you, stop talking about things I can't utilize!

BSP

Smash Legend
The things with this guy never end. Apparently most of us were unaware that Default Hydrant and On Fire Hydrant have different launch properties for some moves.

Also, I'm sure you guys have seen the japanese Pac-Man players run by theirs fruits and pick them up without dash attacking or jumping. To do this, run to the item, let the control stick return to neutral, and then press the attack button to grab it. This is useful if you don't want to DA or go airborne. Keep in mind that Pac-Man will still stumble forward a bit after picking the item up.

Last edited:

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
I found a new trick today the utilizes the hydrant upward water blast !!!! Stand on hydrant until the upward blast is coming then run off hydrant and b-reverse throw the bell , it makes the bell delayed and drop later similar to the likes of the lazy bell !

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
@ BSP BSP I actually haven't had any trouble with Peach. The On-fire hydrant gives her a very hard time landing on the ground anywhere close to you. Jump oranges, melons and keys all making taking to the air a risk for her(the bell as well) and key launching the hydrant is nightmare for her.

It's not a matchup you need to switch from Pacman at all.

Zeekfox

Smash Cadet
Okay, so I'm literally like, playing Day One Pac-Man verses random level 8 CPU's. I went from having little clue what I was doing to being almost somewhat competent.

Against a Fox CPU at Smashville, I had a rather funny moment. I knocked him off, threw a cherry offstage while he was charging his fire recovery, jumped way out, and got the follow up Hydrant gimp. I fall back towards the stage, up+B, get up, and set my controller down, knowing that Fox was out too far to Fire Fox his way back to the ledge. Too bad he was able to Fire Fox all the way to the trampoline and use that to get back on stage! Whoops!

I still picked the controller back up and beat him, but I know if I had used side+B to recover, the gimp would have been enough.

Zeekfox

Smash Cadet
Well yeah. I know it breaks after 3 uses. I would have had to let go of the ledge and go back down twice before Fox made it there, which I do believe I had time for, assuming I snapped to the ledge on the second bounce too.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Well yeah. I know it breaks after 3 uses. I would have had to let go of the ledge and go back down twice before Fox made it there, which I do believe I had time for, assuming I snapped to the ledge on the second bounce too.
By use it again, I meant pressing up B again. The previous trampoline disappears and a new one is created under you

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
Speaking of these tournaments, anyone going to EVO? I will be but unfortunately I won't be competing. One because I hate customs and haven't practiced them and the other is because I will be working the whole time at my friend's vendor booth. Hopefully someone makes a splash with Pacman.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Speaking of these tournaments, anyone going to EVO? I will be but unfortunately I won't be competing. One because I hate customs and haven't practiced them and the other is because I will be working the whole time at my friend's vendor booth. Hopefully someone makes a splash with Pacman.
I'm not going to Evo because I don't use a single one of those Evo custom in sets in my regular play.I'm not even trying to be cheeky when I say this but I don't expect a single Pacman player to break top 32 with the sets the way they are now.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Would you say Pac can do well against most of these guys?
:4wario::4falcon::4greninja::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4lucario::4fox::4olimar::4tlink::4darkpit::4pit:

I feel I'm playin' a little too many characters right now and I'm trying to narrow my pocket list down to 1-3, keeping only the guys I feel could back up my main. Already had to get rid of Palutena & Duck Hunt since they're pretty useless for matchup coverage, and if Pac doesn't cut it, I'll sadly have to let his ship sail too, but I don't wanna since he is way too much fun.

Zeekfox

Smash Cadet
I'm not going to Evo because I don't use a single one of those Evo custom in sets in my regular play.I'm not even trying to be cheeky when I say this but I don't expect a single Pacman player to break top 32 with the sets the way they are now.
You're still free to play any set you want. The 8 default sets are just to save time, really. If your set isn't on the list, then you may have to take a few more seconds per machine to put your setup into slots 9 or 10.

If Pac-Man isn't gonna make it far, I'd blame Shiek/Falcon. I think Pac has trouble killing without the key, and rushdown characters don't really give you the time to find it until they're knocked so far away they die anyway.

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
I made it out of my pools at Kirbacide. Bracket hasn't started yet but hopefully I do well :D

BSP

Smash Legend
1132 isn't that bad IMO. Sure, you have to be a good bit more careful when recovering and direct trampoline hits only deal 3%, but it plays largely like 1112 otherwise.

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
Got bopped in my winners match by a sheik and got bopped in losses by a ZSS lmao.

But hey, the goal was to make it out of pools and I did it so I'm happy!

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
You're still free to play any set you want. The 8 default sets are just to save time, really. If your set isn't on the list, then you may have to take a few more seconds per machine to put your setup into slots 9 or 10.

If Pac-Man isn't gonna make it far, I'd blame Shiek/Falcon. I think Pac has trouble killing without the key, and rushdown characters don't really give you the time to find it until they're knocked so far away they die anyway.
I'm pretty sure that is not the case. Mr Wizard said clearly enough no one i allowed to upload anything to the console, hell you can't even use your 3ds as a controller at Evo

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Would you say Pac can do well against most of these guys?
:4wario::4falcon::4greninja::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4lucario::4fox::4olimar::4tlink::4darkpit::4pit:

I feel I'm playin' a little too many characters right now and I'm trying to narrow my pocket list down to 1-3, keeping only the guys I feel could back up my main. Already had to get rid of Palutena & Duck Hunt since they're pretty useless for matchup coverage, and if Pac doesn't cut it, I'll sadly have to let his ship sail too, but I don't wanna since he is way too much fun.
I say that Pac has no trouble with any of those characters, but maining mega man, Greninja, and Pac-Man is gonna give you a LOT of trouble with shiek

Last edited:

Zeekfox

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure that is not the case. Mr Wizard said clearly enough no one i allowed to upload anything to the console
They won't let you just manually input them? I guess that might take too long though, given that you have to use the Wii U Gamepad to name the custom. Still, why wouldn't there be 12 (I know, I misremembered how many slots there were before) sets available instead of just 10 with the two empty slots for adding in a unique set? Pretty sure I saw a streamed tournament where someone got to use slot #11 for a set, but I suppose it's not a problem in smaller ones.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I say that Pac has no trouble with any of those characters, but maining mega man, Greninja, and Pac-Man is gonna give you a LOT of trouble with shiek
Lucky for me tho, we don't have very many Sheiks in my state at the moment. In fact, we hardly have anybody who plays any of the high tiers besides Villager, Wario, Ness, or Weegee. Arizona likes its mid tiers lol, and we even have 3 low tiers on our PR! :4littlemac::4marth::4lucina: (one player each for both Marth & Lucina)! Shame there's like only 2 people (not including myself) who play Pac-Man tho.

Lol joke aside, yeah I remember sheik, but didn't mention her since I know a lot of characters lose to her. I don't think :4greninja: loses to her as badly as the other two tbh, still in her favor but its managable.

Top Bottom