• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I was thinking that same thing but since this was the Wii U version, I thought the characters on 1.0.0 (the version it was on pre-launch) were the same as 1.0.4. The Wii U is on 1.0.1 now for the online update and glitch fixes but I don't know if it brought along the character changes from 1.0.4 or if those changes were always there since 1.0.0.
I know that my new SSBU game let me launch the hydrant before I updated, but not after.

BSP

Smash Legend
I was thinking that same thing but since this was the Wii U version, I thought the characters on 1.0.0 (the version it was on pre-launch) were the same as 1.0.4. The Wii U is on 1.0.1 now for the online update and glitch fixes but I don't know if it brought along the character changes from 1.0.4 or if those changes were always there since 1.0.0.
I'm going to assume that 1.0.0 Wii =/= 1.0.4 3DS, otherwise this stuff shouldn't be happening.

Spirst

I know that my new SSBU game let me launch the hydrant before I updated, but not after.
I'm going to assume that 1.0.0 Wii =/= 1.0.4 3DS, otherwise this stuff shouldn't be happening.
Huh, how about that. That makes a lot of sense. Shame it wasn't some voodoo magic he had found to still be able bair break the hydrant even after the patch but at least it seems to be settled now. Thanks.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
Speaking of which, I might finally get a Wii U on Saturday or so, once finals are over. Once I can practice, I hope to eliminate all mechanical errors on my part and all fruit catching tech down.

I'll have to wait on a GC adapter though.

Gah, I'm hot and cold with Pac Man. Sometimes he feels unstoppable, sometimes I'm like "I can't grab anyone.... :(".

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Besides having a slow, awkward grab (not as bad as people say though, :4villager:'s grab is worse), what would you guys say Pac-Man's main weaknesses are?

• Laggy smashes?
  • Below average mobility
  • Technical learning curve (especially with the hydrant)?
  • Mediocre Ground Game?

BSP

Smash Legend
His only weakness is his grab. I'm serious. If it was normal and nothing else about him changed, he'd be unstoppable.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Not to mention a win condition named "meteor trampoline "

Well I just tested the trampoline ledge trap with the meteor trampoline and let me tell you...It's amazing!
The opponent can't return to the stage in any safe way. The red trampoline buries them if they try to ledge attack, roll up from the ledge, or jump up off of the ledge. The opponent is forced to die to a back air gimp, or get buried and have their face broken by a fully charged blinky.
They can try to drop from the ledge and recover over the ledge, but this leaves them vulnerable as well, and can get them punished in the air or when they land.
This. Is. Game. Changing!

BSP

Smash Legend
Another local today. I managed to pull a victory with 65% Mario, 35% Pac-Man. I originally planned to try to go all Mario, but then I ran into the baby brother and had to switch over to Pac Man.

The matches got recorded. Hopefully they don't all get corrupted this time. I think I played alright, but I'm having issues with Bair -> whatever with hydrant for some reason. I did start utilizing up B a bit more, but I also failed to realize that Pac-Man's bair > Mario's full hop fireballs. I also realized how great and niche all of the fruits are, especially the melon. I've got to use that one a lot more.

I'll link them later. The grab issue still exists, but I dealt with it better today when I realized I could play Mega Man style and stay right out of range and pester them with fruit.

Edit: It's frustrating that none of the big names use Pac-Man. I don't understand why.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Besides having a slow, awkward grab (not as bad as people say though, :4villager:'s grab is worse), what would you guys say Pac-Man's main weaknesses are?

• Laggy smashes?
  • Below average mobility
  • Technical learning curve (especially with the hydrant)?
  • Mediocre Ground Game?
Lack of mobility is my biggest gripe. I always envisioned he'd be a faster character with more air speed and tighter control, to reflect how he can easily zip around tight corners in his own game. I often feel that, despite the option to trampoline, Side B, air dodge, etc, he just doesn't have the speed and control to maneuver safely around smart and aggressive players. You definitely have to be thinking forward, moreso than with other characters, in order to trump your opponent with Pac-Man, which in all fairness does reflect his source game pretty well.

Another weakness is the lack of a quick and reliable kill option. Side B kills are highly situational and easy to see coming, and it's a highly punishable move when read. His smashes are weaker than most characters' as well, so I find that fruit and Bair off-stage are my best kill options. He's very obviously an off-stage killer, which is unfortunate because of how strong air dodging is in this game. I do like how he's great at surviving as compensation, though. Gotta love that rage effect on the second stock, lol.

Another local today. I managed to pull a victory with 65% Mario, 35% Pac-Man. I originally planned to try to go all Mario, but then I ran into the baby brother and had to switch over to Pac Man.

Edit: It's frustrating that none of the big names use Pac-Man. I don't understand why.
Congrats on the win, and much thanks for repping the character for us all. I think more players will take up Pac-Man over time. The meta is still young, and for now, people are just gravitating toward what works (Diddy, mostly). We'll probably see players begin to experiment more when what works now starts becoming less reliable as new counterplays are found. Hopefully.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
Took another local today. Had some great matches in GFs, but didn't get to save all of them. Up B gets it in.

On a side note, Pac-Man is god awful in lag IMO. Our grab is already risky enough. Stacked with lag, you just can't risk it. Same thing with Pac's smashes. Lag also screws up cancelling bonus fruits into other options, which is vital if you want to remain unpredicatble. This is the second time I picked to use a character that is awful online.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Took another local today. Had some great matches in GFs, but didn't get to save all of them. Up B gets it in.

On a side note, Pac-Man is god awful in lag IMO. Our grab is already risky enough. Stacked with lag, you just can't risk it. Same thing with Pac's smashes. Lag also screws up cancelling bonus fruits into other options, which is vital if you want to remain unpredicatble. This is the second time I picked to use a character that is awful online.
You can always try Nair when stuck in the lag.
It's not the best, but at least it gets opponents off of you.

Same with Hydrant, it makes a stage somewhat in your favor.

PacDaddy

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, first post, but a big shoutout to this whole subforum, you guys are awesome! I got super smash 4 on the 6th, and have been playing pacman nonstop.

If y'all are interested, you should check out umebara 11 right now, abadango is doing work again and just knocked out nietono out of winners bracket. The vods should be up in a couple of days if you can't catch the games live tonight.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
Hey guys, first post, but a big shoutout to this whole subforum, you guys are awesome! I got super smash 4 on the 6th, and have been playing pacman nonstop.

If y'all are interested, you should check out umebara 11 right now, abadango is doing work again and just knocked out nietono out of winners bracket. The vods should be up in a couple of days if you can't catch the games live tonight.
Is it being streamed? If so, do you have a link?

PacDaddy

Smash Rookie
Is it being streamed? If so, do you have a link?
Tournament ended yesterday, the results thread is in the tourney results forum on smashboards. I would post a link but I don't have 10 posts yet.

Our boy ended up getting 9th, but he had a ridiculous bracket. In winners, he knocked out brood (best duck hunt in japan), nietono (one of the best players in japan), and then got knocked out by rain (the eventual winner of the tournament as diddy.) In losers he lost to Shu, a newcomer sheik that ended up getting 3rd overall. As far as I know, he only played 3 matches on the stream as pacman, but if we're lucky they'll be put up on shi-g gaming's youtube channel.

One thing of note is that ROB has become very popular in Japan recently, and in abadango's first streamed set, he counter-picked ROB with wario, his main in brawl. Made me feel a little better, because I have had an awful time with that matchup myself.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
The ROB matchup has been a problem for me as well. I love in the irony in it, though, what with ROB being created to combat the effects of terrible shovelware that came before him, like Atari's Pac-Man.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I've been meaning to come into the Pac Man boards since he's my teams character (Kirby/PacMan is a stupid team) and occasionally singles counterpick. Anyway a few things which you guys may or may not already know:

-
I jumped out of a two-part FSmash with Trampoline

This is actually really important. The reason for this is that while they removed Megaman's "Rush canceling", Pac Man has always been able to do the exact same thing with his UpB and it was not touched. When getting comboed/hit by multi-hit moves, mash UpB and you will often get out. Of course unlike Megaman's rush, you do go into free fall, so you need to decide risk vs reward on that one.

-When you think you're about to get grabbed, press UpB. You can even do this during the grab animation. The trampoline will come out but you won't go anywhere, but since you're standing on the trampoline, the grab will immediately break and you even gt a punish since you'll have a hitbox while hitting them and they won't.
That said be careful, this will put you at 2nd jump height, so at low % the opponent might be able to punish you for this.

Still, this could be very good against characters that rely on grabs a lot, like Diddy.

-Pretty sure this is already known, and hella situational, but one advantage to the normal hydrant is that you can lay it down next to a Jigglypuff that missed a rest and it will push her offstage without waking her, giving an easy kill punish at any %.

That's all I've got for now unless you guys are interested in stupid team combos Pacman/Kirby can do (Grab infinites are back baby!). Hope some of that helps/wasn't known.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Can you explain these?
Okay:

First thing first: In teams, always have the bell ready. It is the only fruit that really matters in teams. When teamed with Kirby, start the match by walking into his inhale so you can both have bells ready for stupid combos.
It is important to note that you will completely stop momentum when you hit someone with a bell.

Anyway, simplest one first:

-The 0-death grab combo: As we all probably know by now, we cannot regrab an opponent who just got grabbed within a set time period, meaning grab release to grab release no longer works.

Kirby/Pacman has a way around this: Kirby Dair takes FOREVER to end and Pac Man's grab has a lasting hitbox. This allows you to wait out the grab immune period while they are in Kirby's Dair then grab again. PacMan Dthrow>Kirby Dair (Really easy to hit since Dthrow has the same trajectory at pretty much all percents and has low enough knockback that Kirby Dair always overrides the Dthrow knockback)>PacMan grab>repeat until kill %.
At kill %s, you should do Fthrow (since it has set knockback and will always put the opponent in the exact same place regardless of weight, DI and %) into Kirby's stone for the kill.

This pretty much kills all 2v1 situations.

-Comboing off of Kirby's grabs:

We already know Kirby can combo off of Pacman's grabs easily and set up Pacman grabs just as easily. Even if you're in a 2v2 you can set up shorter variations of the first combo, but how can Pacman combo off of Kirby's grabs?

*At 0-20%, Kirby Fthrow>Pacman Utilt works and leads into many other options, such as DJ Kirby Fair>DJ PacMan Uair, or Kirby DJ Dair>Pacman pivot grab.

*At most %s, Kirby Bthrow>Pacman Usmash combos, though the higher the % the stricter the timing.

*Bthrow>Pacman Bell can work, but is harder to pull off since it requires strict timing to not also hit Kirby..

*Kirby Dthrow>Pacman Bell leads to a lot, as does Uthrow>Pacman Bell

-Obviously both characters can combo off of the other's bells to extend combos and set up kills. Kirby Utilt is a great way to set up bell follow-ups, as are both characters' dash attacks and as previously mentioned, grabs.

I actually have to go but I'll finish this post when I get back.

EDIT:

Okay, I'm back so time to continue:

-When Kirby has an opponent offstage, let him deal with gimping the guy (Kirby's Dair is SOOOOOO good for gimping) and instead put up a hydrant and trampoline between the other player and Kirby so that he can gimp un-interrupted. If you have the bell ready, then jumping over the hydrant/trampoline combo becomes even more difficult.
You can also throw the apple at the recovering opponent if they do somehow manage to get below Kirby.

-Pacman's DA allows for a lot of team combos and is fairly easy to land. If Kirby has a bell and is ready for it, he can catch the opponent flying out of DA low enough for you to follow up with Pacman's Usmash. Otherwise he can get easy Dairs/Bairs/stone follow ups.

-Pacman's jab combo is actually a really good way to start team combos too. pacman's jab sets up the 0-death grab if Kirby Dairs, but can also set up quick team combos if Kirby Bairs or Nairs the opponent back to you, allowing you followups as well depending on percent.

-All of Kirby's tilts can set up team combos if you're close/paying attention.

-Trampoline can allow Kirby to safely use stone. Putting a trampoline down if your Kirby ally is being juggled can help him reach the ground again because of this.

Basically the greatest assets of this team are that:

1) Both can very easily combo off of the other, even if the players aren't paying attention, and get some truly ridiculous stuff if they are.

2) 0-death grab combos.

3) Double fruits, and more importantly double bells (Although other fruits can be good as well). Kirby is especially good with this power.

4) Pacman has good stage control while Kirby dominates offstage.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
I ran into a sonic in FG mode that was willing to time me out.

Every match was at least 4 and a half minutes lol.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Any practical use for Pac's Down Air? Because I can't find any, except maybe for refreshing stale moves. And does Pac-Man have any move that can meteor smash or spike at all?

Zage

Smash Journeyman
Any practical use for Pac's Down Air? Because I can't find any, except maybe for refreshing stale moves. And does Pac-Man have any move that can meteor smash or spike at all?
Dair is really good at punishing ledge rolls/attacks etc etc. When someone grabs the ledge just wait until they start to pull themselves up, sh and dair. Other than that you want to avoid it unless you're sure its going to hit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom