• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pac-Man Moveset Discussion

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Known moves.

Basic Combo: Punch, Punch, Flip Kick
Dash: Classic Pac-Man
Forward Tilt: Side kick
Up Air: Flip Kick
Down Air: Rapid Down Kick/Stomp
Forward Air: Kick to the side (Was in one of the dojo screenshots)
Back Air: Kicks both feat out behind him.
Up Smash: Inky
Down Smash: Pinky and Clyde
Forward Smash: Blinky
Neutral Special: Fruit/Galaxian
Forward Special: Pellets
Up Special: Mappy Spring
Down Special: Fire Hydrant
Final Smash: Power Pellet
Taunt: Namco Characters
Taunt 2: Daydreaming about Ghosts
Grab: Galaga Tractor Beam

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Known moves.

Down Smash?: Fire Hydrant
Taunt: Daydreaming about Ghosts
I think you mean the down special is the fire hydrant. His down smash is Pinky and Clyde.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Siliconera said it was a type of down A attack apparently. But i put the question mark there just in case i was wrong.
I read that too, but I think they're wrong. It just doesn't seem like an A button sort of attack.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Siliconera said that the Fire Hydrant was his "Down A" attack. They didn't specify if you have to tilt the stick or smash it.
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/10/pac-man-joins-super-smash-bros/

When I first saw his moveset I thought it was ******** that he throws around Namco sprites in alot of his moves. Like, the ghosts are his enemies, why are they a weapon now? And the ghosts and galaga ships appear as assists too, isn't it redundant to have them as an attack as well? Did Sakurai actually make this moveset?
After rewatching the trailer though I saw that he had some interesting melee attacks.
But why did they make his appearance change into that bland yellow sphere during some moves? If they were to use sprites anywhere, THAT woulda been the perfect time for him to morph into pixel pac man.

I'll have to see more of his moves, tossing around old icons like that just seems like desperate nostalgia overkill to me.

EDIT:

I guess that, in a way, he's like Mr. G&W. And he actually doesn't seem to toss around as many icons as I thought, some of those could've been part of a taunt, and tossing the pixel fruit does look like fun. I guess that Pac-Man nostalgia is a pretty big thing and they really are giving the fans what they want.
Meh, I won't completely give up on him til I see some more footage.
What are they nuts

Im pretty sure the fire hydrant is down special.

First of all the fire hydrant is a 2 in 1 sprays like F.L.U.D.D then he kicks like villager tembering the tree.

Second of all im sure his cylde and pinky summon is his Down A.

Oh and as for neutral

3 scenarios

1. Its either a charge or cycle threw the items cherry, strawberry, orange, apple, melon, galaxian fighter, pooka, galaga ship, mappy, then finaly xevious mothership.
  2. Same as above except everything past galaxian fighter might be just a taunt.
  3. The custom moveset thing 1 fruit + galaga ship, 2 namco characters, and i don't really know a third choice for this.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
I gotta say, I'm a huge fan of what they've done with his move set. It makes him really stand out compared to the move sets we've come up with. The way they did the pellet trail move is perfection and exactly what I envisioned in my head. I feel like that's going to be his signature move. Summoning fruit and other Namco objects is also a cool idea. The only thing I have a problem with (And it's only a slight problem) is the fire hydrant, only because nobody is going to get the reference and fire hydrants aren't necessarily significant to Pac-Man anyway. Assuming that's his down special, they could have come up with plenty of other ideas.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I agree that the fire hydrant was a perplexing choice. It'd be like if Sonic spawned those helicopter devices from Sonic Heroes in his moveset. It'd just be some random level element from one game that 90% of players wouldn't recognize.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Known moves.

Forward Tilt: Side kick (Pooka screenshot)
Forward Air: Kick to the side (Was in one of the dojo screenshots)
Back Air: Kicks both feat out behind him. (Trailer)
Down Special: Fire Hydrant
Taunt 2: Daydreaming about Ghosts
Updated.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Still confused a bit on his moves. Here's how I think it'll work:

Up B - Mappy trampoline
Side B - Pac-dot trail
Down B - fire hydrant
Standard B - fruit roulette
This is my guess as well.

I really love his down-air (well that's what I'm assuming those multiple downward kicks are) btw. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :p The only other thing I caught was the two ghosts coming on both sides of him probably being his down smash. I'm clueless on the rest.

AquaDork1

Smash Apprentice
A, A, A - Punch, Punch, Flip Kick
Dash A - Forward Munching
Side A - Forward Kick
Up A - ?
Down A - ?

Side Smash - Blinky (in front of Pac-Man)
Up Smash - Inky (above Pac-Man)
Down Smash - Pinky & Clyde (on each side of Pac-Man)

Neutral Aerial - ?
Forward Aerial - Forward Kick
Backward Aerial - Backward Dropkick
Up Aerial - Flip Kick
Down Aerial - Trample

B - Cherry Throw (hold B for Strawberry, Orange, Apple, Melon, or Galaxian Boss)
Side B - Pac-Dot Munch
Up B - Mappy Trampoline
Down B - Fire Hydrant
Final Smash - Super Pac-Man

Side Taunt - Namco Characters
Up Taunt - Thumbs Up
Down Taunt - Daydream

Grab - Galaga Tractor Beam

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
A, A, A - Punch, Punch, Flip Kick
Dash A - Forward Munching
Side A - Forward Kick
Up A - ?
Down A - ?

Side Smash - Blinky (in front of Pac-Man)
Up Smash - Inky (above Pac-Man)
Down Smash - Pinky & Clyde (on each side of Pac-Man)

Neutral Aerial - ?
Forward Aerial - Forward Kick
Backward Aerial - Backward Dropkick
Up Aerial - Flip Kick
Down Aerial - Trample

B - Cherry Throw (hold B for Strawberry, Orange, Apple, Melon, or Galaxian Boss)
Side B - Pac-Dot Munch
Up B - Mappy Trampoline
Down B - Fire Hydrant
Final Smash - Super Pac-Man

Side Taunt - Namco Characters
Up Taunt - Thumbs Up
Down Taunt - Daydream

Grab - Galaga Tractor Beam
Yup. I think that's about right. :D

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Here's a theory for ya, what if the objects he cycles through is a set order? Like cherry, orange, banana, Galiga, Mappy, Xevious ship. It'll generally get better as it goes. (With a few jokes like Mappy.) Xevious is probably the last one and also probably deadly.
I WAS RIGHT! Mostly... According to the PotD, he cycles in a set order and they each have their own effects. But now that Sakurai has ruled out anything that's not fruity from his Nspecial, Pac might have more projectiles then we expected.

...And what's the firehydrant from, anyway?

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Something tells me "fruit throw" is a move while "sprite cycle" is a taunt. Look at his stance

It's a little quick, but he goes from apple, melon, ship. The apple is the weakest, while the ship flies around a little bit. He also looks like he charging something

This, meanwhile, looks like he's just presenting sprites like "Look what I can do!" Also, we've never seen him throw any of these.
Is that a new stage where PAC man is holding the fruit?

Weeginji

Smash Cadet
I'm still not quite sure how this move works? Wonder what Sakurai means by the charge doubling after cycling past the orange.
Most likely, the amount of time it takes for the fruit to cycle to the next doubles once you go past the orange. That way, the most powerful bonus fruits are harder to reach. I imagine the higher tier fruits would be pretty powerful to compensate.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I think I got it figured out.

I went to StrategyWiki's page for Pac-Man after reading Sakurai mentioning the move having a cycle- basing on the name of the special move, Bonus Fruit might spawn these items in order, if the wiki's correct:

Once again Sakurai, along with Namdai presumably, did their research and translated the mechanics behind the bonus fruits to this move as a gimmick: what I think Sakurai meant by charge "doubling" after orange is the fruits staying much shorter time. much like what Weeginji said.
This comes from the Bonus Fruits after Orange becoming harder to get due having shorter time in the original Pac-Man (depending on intermissions), but provide higher points, which likely means that the items/fruits after orange are more powerful or have their own interesting attributes. Look it here.

Basing on this, I think the bonus items might be these from original Pac-Man by default, which means the parts where Pac spawns random "Namco Arcade Classics" is one of those custom versions for special moves.

I wonder what the 3rd version is... could it perhaps spawn modern Namco-characters?

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I just got the image of Pac throwing Heihachi, Klonoa, and Llyod...Sakuari, make it happen.
Cue fan-art where they're in this leash while looking all grim and Pac's like "WELL, YOU GOT TO BE IN, BE HAPPY!!

And Toad's all like "You get used to it guys."

Mark1

Smash Rookie
Sakurai further clarified the move on Twitter (can't link it since I haven't made 10 posts yet, it's on NeoGAF), here's the translation:

"Why does it take double the time to charge up after an orange? In the original game after the orange it takes 2 rounds for the next bonus item to show up (instead of 1 round) But the difference isn't that big."

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
So of the two ideas we had for how it works (press B to cycle, hold B to cycle), the latter seems the case. The latter was probably chosen because then they can justify the balance of more powerful fruit.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Sakurai further clarified the move on Twitter (can't link it since I haven't made 10 posts yet, it's on NeoGAF), here's the translation:

"Why does it take double the time to charge up after an orange? In the original game after the orange it takes 2 rounds for the next bonus item to show up (instead of 1 round) But the difference isn't that big."
My head.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Sakurai is a genius. Look at him referencing these old game mechanics and turning them into moves. <3

For this move, I really hope it can work like Samus' standard B where you can hold the charge by pressing down or shield. That would be pretty awesome to charge up little by little to get that bell or key.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Sakurai is a genius. Look at him referencing these old game mechanics and turning them into moves. <3

For this move, I really hope it can work like Samus' standard B where you can hold the charge by pressing down or shield. That would be pretty awesome to charge up little by little to get that bell or key.
Eeeh, would make the whole time count-draw back pointless if so. I think it's a move you use depending on your situation or time(ing) in order to get out the best item you can.

Hong

The Strongest
In before Peach can pull out bigger turnips, Link can pull out bigger bombs, by holding B. :troll:

Seriously, though. It's a cool idea. We don't know how Peach's turnips will be handled yet, but I am okay with Pac-Man being unique.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
The question is, is the bell and key involved of the fruit.

But im sure they are probably have the best attributes.

And the namco characters was just a taunt, but does not throw out the theory of a customizable varation is the namco guys after the orange.

Hong

The Strongest
I hope you can store the charge. If not, it's going to be really difficult to use anything above orange in a serious match.
I just assume it manifests as an item in your hand that you can chuck just like any other.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I just assume it manifests as an item in your hand that you can chuck just like any other.
Doesn't seem to be the case from what we've seen.
At 0:41, he charges from strawberry to orange and just chucks it when he gets to it (presumably when b is let go). The same thing happens with the Galaxian at 0:52.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Doesn't seem to be the case from what we've seen.
At 0:41, he charges from strawberry to orange and just chucks it when he gets to it (presumably when b is let go). The same thing happens with the Galaxian at 0:52.
I saw that, though since Smash 4 has the same input buffer system as Brawl did, I thought it was possible that it was set to be immediately thrown.

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman
So do we know for sure that the other namco characters are just a taunt, I think that its a custom move is plausible, it looks like he is "charging" it in the same vein as the fruit.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Glad we got a new move confirmed today. :D But dang @ AquaDork1 AquaDork1 great job catching all those. I didn't know we got all that from the trailer/screenshots.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I saw that, though since Smash 4 has the same input buffer system as Brawl did, I thought it was possible that it was set to be immediately thrown.
I agree, when Pacman throws the galaxian at fox, he's in mid forward jump while doing it. It would be impossible for him to charge it in mid air like that for that long, so i believe that the move probably puts the fruit in your hand.

Hong

The Strongest
I agree, when Pacman throws the galaxian at fox, he's in mid forward jump while doing it. It would be impossible for him to charge it in mid air like that for that long, so i believe that the move probably puts the fruit in your hand.
Yeah, that's how I feel. If you look at the amount of frames it takes to get to the Galaxian, I don't think it is less than the amount of frames Pac-Man would take to reach the apex of his jump.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well i guess we can all attempt what each fruit does (including the bell and key.)

All i got is the melon could be a bomb, due to looking like a gernade

Top Bottom