• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pac-Man Moveset Discussion

Something tells me "fruit throw" is a move while "sprite cycle" is a taunt. Look at his stance

It's a little quick, but he goes from apple, melon, ship. The apple is the weakest, while the ship flies around a little bit. He also looks like he charging something

This, meanwhile, looks like he's just presenting sprites like "Look what I can do!" Also, we've never seen him throw any of these.
This feels like an appropriate place to do just a tiny bit of gloating, so I will do just that. :colorful:

*does a little dance*

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Well, that's honestly really disappointing (though I did expect this to be the case). This makes Pac-Man far less unique than I hoped for him to be. I'm honestly far less interested in using him now. I mean, I still will, because it's Pac-Man, but the rest of his moveset is a little generic, so it looks like he'll have a much simpler playstyle than I would've liked.

Hong

The Strongest
Well, that's honestly really disappointing (though I did expect this to be the case). This makes Pac-Man far less unique than I hoped for him to be. I'm honestly far less interested in using him now. I mean, I still will, because it's Pac-Man, but the rest of his moveset is a little generic, so it looks like he'll have a much simpler playstyle than I would've liked.
I regret to hear you feel this way.

Personally, even though I don't intend to play on him, he's still a very interesting character that breaks the rules. Lots of neat moves that are really unique.

Fruits
Fire Hydrant
Dash attack
Side B Pellet throwing thing
Dair that air-stalls

Moves aside, he's also possibly the most charming of all the newcomers.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Now i can't wait to see who/what else he'll summon in the taunt. Because they didn't show all of the summons.

Valkyrie, Gilgamesh, and The Prince from Katamari are my safe guesses.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I regret to hear you feel this way.

Personally, even though I don't intend to play on him, he's still a very interesting character that breaks the rules. Lots of neat moves that are really unique.

Fruits
Fire Hydrant
Dash attack
Side B Pellet throwing thing
Dair that air-stalls

Moves aside, he's also possibly the most charming of all the newcomers.
I've never felt that his moveset was that unique. The Fire Hydrant is basically an item-spawn with somewhat unique properties, the Side B is a physical PK Thunder from the looks of things, the Dair air stall doesn't really tickle my fancy as something all that interesting, and the fruit appear to just be various normal projectiles stuffed together into one move. It's all interesting, but it doesn't jump out at me as something extraordinarily unique. I was banking on the speculated Namco summons to be the main attraction of his moveset, and without that, I feel like he has a mostly undefined playstyle cobbled together out of a few oddball properties on his moves. Will definitely have to wait and actually play him before I can cast him off like that, but I should still mention that I'm totally intent on maining Pac-Man simply because I like him so much. I mained Lucario in Brawl for the same reason, even though I didn't like his moveset either. I just learned to work with what I had, and I plan to do the same here. The lack of the Namco summoning simply makes him come off as less unique than I hoped he would be. He definitely still has a lot going for him.

Hong

The Strongest
I've never felt that his moveset was that unique. The Fire Hydrant is basically an item-spawn with somewhat unique properties
This not comparable to an item at all. The only thing like this in Smash Bros so far is Villager's Timber, and even then it's apples and oranges.
the Side B is a physical PK Thunder from the looks of things,
It's like PK Thunder, except not at all. :p

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I've never felt that his moveset was that unique. The Fire Hydrant is basically an item-spawn with somewhat unique properties, the Side B is a physical PK Thunder from the looks of things, the Dair air stall doesn't really tickle my fancy as something all that interesting, and the fruit appear to just be various normal projectiles stuffed together into one move. It's all interesting, but it doesn't jump out at me as something extraordinarily unique. I was banking on the speculated Namco summons to be the main attraction of his moveset, and without that, I feel like he has a mostly undefined playstyle cobbled together out of a few oddball properties on his moves. Will definitely have to wait and actually play him before I can cast him off like that, but I should still mention that I'm totally intent on maining Pac-Man simply because I like him so much. I mained Lucario in Brawl for the same reason, even though I didn't like his moveset either. I just learned to work with what I had, and I plan to do the same here. The lack of the Namco summoning simply makes him come off as less unique than I hoped he would be. He definitely still has a lot going for him.
Comparing all of his moves to other existing moves by either pointing out the tiniest of details, or making sweeping generalizations about the similarities of both moves, is kind of ridiculous. I mean, using that mentality, megaman's forward smash is a copy of samus's B move, his back aerial is a copy of mr.G&W's, and Pit's side B is a copy of captain falcon's. I respect your opinion on the character, but I don't think your giving him a fair chance. You seem a little too upset over the fact that pacman didn't get the ability to summon Namco enemies which really would just be another factor of his uniqueness, not the DEFINING factor of it.

Last edited:

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Pac-Man's Z-air should be that grappling hook thing from Pac-In-Time.

He probably won't get one though.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
After a bit of investigation and thought, I believe that Pac-Man's special fall animation is his classic form, this can be seen briefly in the trailer after Pac-Man uses the trampoline.
From this I can reasonably deduce that Dot chain will also send Pac-Man into special fall.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I wonder what the Bell and Key will do?

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
After a bit of investigation and thought, I believe that Pac-Man's special fall animation is his classic form, this can be seen briefly in the trailer after Pac-Man uses the trampoline.
From this I can reasonably deduce that Dot chain will also send Pac-Man into special fall.
That's actually a really good catch. I wonder which form of recovery'll be used more...

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
That's actually a really good catch. I wonder which form of recovery'll be used more...
Dot Chain looks more useful as a recovery to me honestly.
In fact, trampoline looks like a crappy recovery, unless it can be angled horizontally like G&W.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
In fact, trampoline looks like a crappy recovery, unless it can be angled horizontally like G&W.
I don't know about that. It might be really good at sweepspotting the ledge. But, then again...if you can angle the dot chain, it probably could too.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
If you Bounce 3 times on the trampoline, it seems to allow you to go extremely high, so if you can angle your fall, the trampoline may turn out to be a solid recovery.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
If you Bounce 3 times on the trampoline, it seems to allow you to go extremely high, so if you can angle your fall, the trampoline may turn out to be a solid recovery.
Whoah, it didn't occur to me that you are meant to bounce multiple times.
That's brilliant, good point.

Holychicken

Smash Cadet
NNID
Holych1cken
what I think Sakurai meant by charge "doubling" after orange is the fruits staying much shorter time.
What do you mean by "the fruits staying much shorter time?" Like you have less time to use them? Sorry if I misunderstand, I'm just a bit unclear about what you think he's trying to say.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
What do you mean by "the fruits staying much shorter time?" Like you have less time to use them? Sorry if I misunderstand, I'm just a bit unclear about what you think he's trying to say.
Basically yes. Each fruit would start to stay shorter time for you to use a specific one after orange. Say, you want to use an clock, but it's more difficult to time it to use because the scrolling between each fruit/item goes faster.

It makes sense from original Pac-Man's context since also there, bonus items after orange stayed shorter time in the maze for you to pick up for bonus points, compared to earlier Cherry and Strawberry-ones which gave you less. I expect this to translate to hear where items such as Bell or the Key are more useful in some fashion.

Last edited:

Holychicken

Smash Cadet
NNID
Holych1cken
Basically yes. Each fruit would start to stay shorter time for you to use a specific one after orange. Say, you want to use an clock, but it's more difficult to time it to use because the scrolling between each fruit/item goes faster.

It makes sense from original Pac-Man's context since also there, bonus items after orange stayed shorter time in the maze for you to pick up for bonus points, compared to earlier Cherry and Strawberry-ones which gave you less. I expect this to translate to hear where items such as Bell or the Key are more useful in some fashion.
Okay, I understand you now. Before I read your original post I was under the impression that Sakurai meant the actual time doubled in length after the orange, therefore requiring an ample amount of time to cycle to the item of your choice. After I watched the trailer again, I realized that the item cycle was very rapid, which did not hold up to my previous theory.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Okay, I understand you now. Before I read your original post I was under the impression that Sakurai meant the actual time doubled in length after the orange, therefore requiring an ample amount of time to cycle to the item of your choice. After I watched the trailer again, I realized that the item cycle was very rapid, which did not hold up to my previous theory.
Yeah, I dunno why he used that sort of wording. I thought got the gist after playing a bit of Pac-Man and checking the StrategyWiki.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Actually, if we look at the video from the round table again, we see sakurai use the dot chain in midair, and stay in his 3D form after coming out of it, then use the trampoline without landing on a platform

Last edited:

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
One thing I noticed from the videos with Pac-Man is that when he uses his side special and throws out the power pellet,a few times instead of charging to it, the pellet drops and Pac can eat it for health. Maybe you have press the button to charge at it?

Of course, it could be a special move.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
One thing I noticed from the videos with Pac-Man is that when he uses his side special and throws out the power pellet,a few times instead of charging to it, the pellet drops and Pac can eat it for health. Maybe you have press the button to charge at it?

Of course, it could be a special move.
From what we've seen so far, that only happens when someone else interrupts him.

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
From what I've seen he has amazing recovery. The fire hydrant seems like a zoning technique

Top Bottom