• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pac-Man Moveset Discussion

Hong

The Strongest
Does the Fruit do damage or do they block other projectiles?
I would imagine they would clank with some of them.

I know a lot of people were hyped when they saw a fruit take out a Mega Man charge shot, but the thing is, for whatever reason the Charge Shots have high levels of destructibility like Samus's MIssiles. So much that Mega Man's charge shot was beaten with a mere jab in the demo. So with that, we don't know how much priority the fruits have. I could see something like a Samus Charge Shot or Sheik's needles destroying it.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I wrote about my thoughts in the "Is Pac-Man our first summoning character" thread.

"Each type of fruit will probably have different properties, similar to the different Pikmin Olimar plucks from the ground. The Cherry and Strawberry will probably be pretty weak, as will the Orange, as we saw it bounce off of Mega Man's shot in the trailer. After that, I'm theorizing the fruit will get stronger and stronger. The Apple will probably do moderate damage, the Pineapple will probably roll across the ground, the Galaga Alien homes in on someone and attacks them, the Bell will probably do some sort of sound wave attack, and the Key will probably be something very heavy and damaging."

After watching the trailer again, it's definitely for sure that the item gets put into Pac-Man's hand after you let go of B because we see him throw a Galaga Alien at Fox in the air, and there's no way he charged it that fast from a jump.

Also, I was wrong on the Galaga Alien. After watching the trailer, it doesn't home in on a character. It simply goes forward, does a loop, then continues on its path.

I'm super interested to see what the bell and key are going to do.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I also would like to know if Bonus Fruit has a charge that can be stored.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Probably like mewtwo.

His charge does not stay but just by rolling/sidestepping his charge will be held.

Pac-man might work like that.
That's what I'm thinking. Hitting shield or rolling will hold the charge to continue later, so that way you can get to the better items. But the cherries, strawberries, and oranges look like they can do damage and stop projectiles, and you can throw them out quick, so they're not worthless either.

Dang, I'm just thinking of Pac-Man's edgeguarding game and it's hecka mean. Throw down a hydrant, water splashes to push then away, and constant fruit being thrown to knock them around even more. He's gonna be a mean character.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
That's what I'm thinking. Hitting shield or rolling will hold the charge to continue later, so that way you can get to the better items. But the cherries, strawberries, and oranges look like they can do damage and stop projectiles, and you can throw them out quick, so they're not worthless either.

Dang, I'm just thinking of Pac-Man's edgeguarding game and it's hecka mean. Throw down a hydrant, water splashes to push then away, and constant fruit being thrown to knock them around even more. He's gonna be a mean character.
He's gonna fit just fine into my collection of mains, alongside Villager and his tree, bowling ball, watering can, and meteor shovel. It's a shame the ledge game has been nerfed so hardly. Sakurai's been very generous with giving us gimping-based characters this time.

Hong

The Strongest
It's a shame the ledge game has been nerfed so hardly. Sakurai's been very generous with giving us gimping-based characters this time.
I wouldn't say things are nerfed.

I think less ledge invincibility will make things better for a camping Pac-Man or Villager, with how the former has arcing projectiles and the latter's tree has a super lengthy hitbox when it is cut down.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Yeah, I just watched that. It was good, but they did miss a couple details we've all talked about, like the Namco characters being a taunt and the tractor beam being his grab. Other than that, I love watching GameXplain videos.

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I just watched that. It was good, but they did miss a couple details we've all talked about, like the Namco characters being a taunt and the tractor beam being his grab. Other than that, I love watching GameXplain videos.
Are they a taunt though? they look exactly like the fruit move.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Are they a taunt though? they look exactly like the fruit move.
To be fair, we don't know. But his positions are completely different when he summons the fruit as opposed to when he summons the Namco characters.

When he uses Bonus Fruit, he holds them up over his head. There's also dust pushing from behind him, similar to how dust blows behind Samus when she charges her beam.

However, in the video, when he's summoning the Namco items there is no dust, and it seems like a totally different animation. He holds the item out front. He's smiling. And it doesn't cycle. Each item he shows seems to be a different animation sequence. This is what leads people to believe it's a taunt, not a move.

I personally think that's the case as well. Don't get me wrong, on one hand I'd love for Pac-Man to use Namco characters as attacks, but on the other I'm okay if he doesn't. People keep thinking from the video that Pac-Man's move set is nothing but Namco references, which isn't the case at all. If the Namco characters are a taunt, then the only moves in his move set that are references are his Up B and his grab. Everything else is pure Pac-Man.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Custom moves could potentially have different animations and still have the same effect.

So we could've seen the alt version of his neutral Special. (auto corrected "seen" to "saw" without me noticing. lol)

I think it's a taunt though. Until Sakurai, or gameplay, says otherwise.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I personally think that the Galaga - Pooka - Mappy - Xevious Station move is an alternate version of Bonus fruit. It just doesn't make sense to me to make a taunt that looks so much like a move. The radiating dot effect appears on 2 moves where pac-man summons something: Bonus fruit and Fire Hydrant. It only makes sense that he would summon something with that move.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I just had a random thought- Pac-Man only uses the hydrant the one time in his trailer, and I don't recall seeing Sakurai use it at all in his matches. What if it was actually an item and he's trying to throw us off? The S Flag also made an appearance in the trailer and it's apparently an item, so it is a possibility... Please excuse me if I missed a video where it was properly shown as a move.

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
I just had a random thought- Pac-Man only uses the hydrant the one time in his trailer, and I don't recall seeing Sakurai use it at all in his matches. What if it was actually an item and he's trying to throw us off? The S Flag also made an appearance in the trailer and it's apparently an item, so it is a possibility... Please excuse me if I missed a video where it was properly shown as a move.
No, because Pac-Man pulls it out of his butt and then puts it on the ground out of nowhere. Then he can kick it, and it pushes enemies back with water. I don't ever recall an Item staying on the stage to do something like that, and having that sort of interaction.

Also, why are all the ghosts on the screen on the Wily Castle stage during the trailer?

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
No, because Pac-Man pulls it out of his butt and then puts it on the ground out of nowhere. Then he can kick it, and it pushes enemies back with water. I don't ever recall an Item staying on the stage to do something like that, and having that sort of interaction.

Also, why are all the ghosts on the screen on the Wily Castle stage during the trailer?
There an Assist Trophy

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
My guess is that the ghosts appear as Assist Trophies exclusive to the Wii U version, since they're stage hazards on the 3DS Maze stage. Did anyone see Elec Man or Shadow on the 3DS demo? If not, then Sonic and Mega Man might have console-exclusive Assist Trophies as well.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
My guess is that the ghosts appear as Assist Trophies exclusive to the Wii U version, since they're stage hazards on the 3DS Maze stage. Did anyone see Elec Man or Shadow on the 3DS demo? If not, then Sonic and Mega Man might have console-exclusive Assist Trophies as well.
Well Sakurai did say the 3DS will have "roughly" the same amount of Assist Trophy's. I've seen Shadow and Elec Man on the Wii U version I didn't see them on the 3DS yet! That wouldn't make since to have the ghosts on the 3DS version since there already a stage hazard. So there not in the 3DS version or replaced by something else!

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

There is always the possibility of unfinished animations, and we only saw a short clip of it. Also, we have seen a similar item in the form of another new item; there's a turret that you can pick up and throw, it'll sit on the stage and start shooting afterwards.

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
After looking at the trailer where Pac-Man was announced, I'm pretty excited to try him when the 3DS version comes out. Although I did think his moveset would be different, more like his moveset in the Pac-Man World games with the Rev Roll and Butt Bounce manuvers but I think the fact that he is a well-rounded character with a large variety of projectiles looks like something to try. :)

mossdog

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if this has been mentioned but I think I've noticed something. If you watch pacman's debut video, when ever he used his over B there were two different kinds of dots. There were small ones and one large one at the end of the move. When he reaches the end of the over B there is a purple 'shockwave' effect. I wonder if his over B is more powerful at the end of the attack than he is during the rest of it.

DimpsyVS

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I feel they could've done Pac-Man's moveset a little better... IMO.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I actually think they did a superb job representing Pac-Man and Namco as a whole in his moveset. At least they didn't have to resort to *shivers* power berries...
I'd agree if it wasn't for those couple moves that could've been something better. Particularly the Fire Hydrant and the dair (which should've been butt bounce).

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
The Fire Hydrant is unique and interesting, but it's really not iconic to the character (or even Namco) in any way whatsoever. I have no doubt that there are many possibilities that would've made much more sense, and would've fit just as well, if not better, into his playstyle. I feel like all that the Hydrant does is convince some people that they had to "scrape the bottom of the barrel" for his moveset. Imagine if one of Pikachu's moves spawned a flipper from Pokémon Pinball, or if Sonic had a blackboard from Sonic's Schoolhouse. It just feels really tacked-on and the reference is going to fly over the heads of 99% of players.

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
I'd agree if it wasn't for those couple moves that could've been something better. Particularly the Fire Hydrant and the dair (which should've been butt bounce).
I honestly thought that Pac-Man would get the Rev Roll instead of the fire hydrant. It would make him a harder hitting Jigglypuff in that regard, or one would think.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Good thing custom movesets exist. Although we'll only have alternates of existing moves. Neutral special being the most interesting to think about.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'm conflicted about the fire hydrant. On one hand, it is a REALLY cool move, on the other it is very obscure.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
I wonder if his presumed dash attack (where he turns into his pizza form and starts gobbling while moving forward) can be extended by rapidly pressing the attack button. That's what it looks like in the trailer, unless that's custom move of some sort.

D

Deleted member

I wonder if his dash attack will be able to turn around.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I wonder if his dash attack will be able to turn around.
Now that'd be interesting. I can imagine it working sort of like a B-reversal, wherein the player can turn around on the early frames of the attack, but has to commit after that. It'd be great for fake-outs, and replicate a strategy often seen in Pac-Man's traditional gameplay.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Hey, I have a topic.
Let's assume the best comes to pass, and Arcade summon is a move, not a taunt. Who should be included in the move?
Since Bonus Fruit has 8 stages, assume Arcade Classics does too. We already Have Galaga Player, Pooka, Mappy, and Xevious Station confirmed, what should the other 4 be?
I would do Ms. Pac-Man, Dig-Dug/Taizo Hori, Galaga Aliens, and Rally-X Car.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Hey, I have a topic.
Let's assume the best comes to pass, and Arcade summon is a move, not a taunt. Who should be included in the move?
Since Bonus Fruit has 8 stages, assume Arcade Classics does too. We already Have Galaga Player, Pooka, Mappy, and Xevious Station confirmed, what should the other 4 be?
I would do Ms. Pac-Man, Dig-Dug/Taizo Hori, Galaga Aliens, and Rally-X Car.
That'd be my exact line-up as well. If I had to replace one, I'd swap the Galaga bugs for Gee Bee.

Top Bottom