• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Pac Attack - Advanced Techniques and Strategy Guide

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
So guys, I just found out a timing to get the key on battlefield. As some of you may or may not know, you can catch the key if you toss it at the bottom part of the stage. The way I learned was to hang on the edge and drop off and visually gauge where to toss the key. This has some problems as it requires you to hang on the edge and drop down which takes quite a bit of time in my opinion.

My method is with your back facing the ledge, instead of doing short hop bair, you do short hop fair then uair. On the right side it's pretty simple. Just do it like you would with the bair method except replace it with fair into uair. On the left side however, the part of the stage you're hitting is a bit further in which means you need to be further underneath the stage to catch the key. To remedy this, you short hop fair off the stage then in the middle of your uair animation, start holding right and you'll slip under the stage and avoid the ledge snap due to uair. Now you toss the key and you should be in prime position to catch it. Hope this helps out other Pac players!

Lord Cruxis

Smash Cadet
seems like I failed you guys. I previously mentioned you footstool someone shielding into down b. But you can't. It only seemed that. I saw abadango do it at apex. But it could of just been the opponent coincidently let go of shield the last second and convincingly made it looked like as if his shield was broken by foot stooling. Unless I'm wrong. I'll see if I can post a link of his match later so any one else can confirm I'm wrong and he is footstooling some ones shield.

BSP

Smash Legend
No, it still bounces on the stage, just happens to not interfere with the leftover bounces.

I did find out an interesting thing in For Glory today because of a brainstorming session from the need to utilize Side b more. At about -70-120% if a player recovers low, we can hydrant them from above with roughly a full hop, and side B them in hit stun. I would like to test this, but I do not have a live test subject to help me with this.
More on this:

Unlocking side B's potential will help solve killing problems some. I'm pretty sure it's just as strong as the key, if not stronger, when it is fully charged.

Hydrant -> Side B is hard, but I'm sure it's a true combo and it KOs really early since you're hitting people already close to the blast zone.

I've been trying to work on bell -> side B too, but it is also quite difficult.

Has anyone considered possibly breaking shields with hydrant -> b reverse galaxian towards them -> side B at them to launch the hydrant and Pac Man at them?

Last edited:

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
More on this:

Unlocking side B's potential will help solve killing problems some. I'm pretty sure its just as strong as the key, if not stronger when it is fully charged.

Hydrant -> Side B is hard, but I'm sure it's a true combo and it KOS really early since you're hitting people already close to the blast zone.

I've been trying to work on bell -> side B too, but it is also quite difficult.

Has anyone considered possibly breaking shields with hydrant -> b reverse galaxian towards them -> side B at them to launch the hydrant and Pac Man at them?
I've tried, but shield breaking is one of Pac-man's weaker points, that series of attacks works great at maybe catching them out of shield because they may get worried, but I have yet to really break a shield on any half decent players.

BSP

Smash Legend
I've tried, but shield breaking is one of Pac-man's weaker points, that series of attacks works great at maybe catching them out of shield because they may get worried, but I have yet to really break a shield on any half decent players.
I brought it up because I recall that if an opponent shields a Fsmash that launches the hydrant too, their shield gets really small very quickly. I think a combo of those 3 might do it in the right situation. Have you tried that specific setup? Them getting hit is a favorable result too.

Also, bell -> footstool -> side B driven into the ground, or hydrant -> side B after the hydrant drop.

This

http://shoryuken.com/2015/01/22/did...l-in-these-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-combos/

Should go into the OP if it already isn't in there.

Last edited:

AGES

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snicks
I brought it up because I recall that if an opponent shields a Fsmash that launches the hydrant too, their shield gets really small very quickly. I think a combo of those 3 might do it in the right situation. Have you tried that specific setup? Them getting hit is a favorable result too.

Also, bell -> footstool -> side B driven into the ground, or hydrant -> side B after the hydrant drop.

This

http://shoryuken.com/2015/01/22/did...l-in-these-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-combos/

Haha, I remember seeing those combos before and thinking "oh yeah I'll add that in the guide." Whoops, looks like I forgot, thanks for reminding me d:

Shield stun is something I haven't messed around with actually. I can see utilizing Pac's nair or other fast moves along with key+hydrant launches, but eh that's only in theory. The galaxian setup sounds interesting though.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Something situational/gimmicky, but cool thing I did in Training Mode, will probably try to experiment with it in a real match.

Break Hydrant with a Bair and then a jab. Grab someone, throw them into Hydrant and send them flying (sometimes if I'm close, the hydrant still hits them and breaks them out of my grab). I also believe I did a followup afterwards, but I forgot what.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
Something situational/gimmicky, but cool thing I did in Training Mode, will probably try to experiment with it in a real match.

Break Hydrant with a Bair and then a jab. Grab someone, throw them into Hydrant and send them flying (sometimes if I'm close, the hydrant still hits them and breaks them out of my grab). I also believe I did a followup afterwards, but I forgot what.

Why does Bair->Jab Hydrant need a followup?

Just charge your fruit. No opponent will approach you while you're camping under a bouncing hydrant.

Last edited:

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667

This

Wonderful. There are 3 new combos since the last time I saw this page

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I know many have written off lazy fruit in the past...but this custom is pretty damn amazing. Definitely one of the best custom moves we have.
Since every fruit travels at a nice and powerful 3 mph, they are all easy to pick up and immediately start using z drop setups.
This is the fun part.
With quick access to z drop, we can cover every approach with hydrabt gushed fruit. All of our normally unsafe moves become safe (Even grab and side B) because the opponent can't punish you with fruit covering your end lag.
This makes it incredibly easy for us to switch to rushdown against opponents with an answer to fruit (rosa and yoshi come to mind)

That's not even all it can do. I know opponents can easily just pick up the fruit...but only if left unattended. You can walk on top of your fruit to create a hitbox around you whenever you need to go in, or stay away (this makes the matchup for little Mac an easy 90-10 since he will never get in)
Every fruit also covers ledge options incredibly well because they linger for years.
This easily puts the matchup against most rushdown characters in our favor. It reminds me of mega man's pellets in how you control a wall the entire match, only our fruit cover more options in exchange for less spammibility.
Also, Galaxian is a monster.
Shreds shields and protects us from all projectile spam.

Also, has anybody else tried approaching with SH air dodge into nair? Our air dodge end lag is a LOT less than other characters. We can approach with SH air dodges into various attacks, giving us an invincible approach if the opponent doesn't anticipate it.

Last edited:

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
Why does Bair->Jab Hydrant need a followup?

Just charge your fruit. No opponent will approach you while you're camping under a bouncing hydrant.
Umm rosalina..villager...falco..fox..ness...mario...dr.mario...greninja...ike..marth..peach...#loluwutm8

Last edited:

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
Interesting things I have found while trying to practice perfect pivots and tech skill. When you do the initial dash animation, you can delay shortly and then press attack to do a delayed dash attack. I've starting working this into my attacks, and it is a great mix up for grab happy players.

I have found that when you have hydrant out, you can keep some aerial momentum going by using Down-B again right as you are landing, letting you slide forward. This would of been of questionable worth unless you time it with the water jet as well, then you can go quickly across stage in a neutral state. Giving you better options then just a obvious charged smash attack.

CCCM89

Smash Ace
has this been found yet? I have recently start doing perfect pivots, or more accurately, dashing really fast one direction before switching to the other to run in place. I started doing it with Captain Falcon, but found I could do it with Pac-Man as well, but here's where things get hilarious. unlike with falcon, or any other character I have tried it with, Pac-Man has a hell of a lot of end frames on his short dash, yet you can still jump cancel them. what does this mean?
Simple. It means I can short dash or do a sort of standing dash, wait a split second while the opponent inevitably shields/dodges, then move into a dash attack seemingly out of nowhere.
It works with dash grabs to, and god damn it, it is satisfying as **** to pivot dash into sliding a god distance right at my opponent for a grab. Covers about half pf FD(grab range included) and can really pile on the mind games.
I can already tell, I'm going to be using this a whole hell of a lot in competitive tournaments, but still, have this already been discovered? if so, does someone have the frame data on exactly how late you can pull this off? because it seems like you can do it ridiculously late.

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
To quote myself

Interesting things I have found while trying to practice perfect pivots and tech skill. When you do the initial dash animation, you can delay shortly and then press attack to do a delayed dash attack. I've starting working this into my attacks, and it is a great mix up for grab happy players.
It does work on occasion, but Dash attack is still unsafe on shield. The bigger thing to try to practice is the hydrant edge cancelling that Abadango showed off recently.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
Well it isn't without its disadvantages.
1. Hydrant edge cancel can be punished by simply smashing the hydrant
2. A counter attack wrecks all
3. Risky (if they notice you using it a lot, they can just powershield it and make u go into that crappy animation

Last edited:

NcamSB

Smash Rookie
NNID
NcamSB
Hey I"m not sure if this has been discussed already but here is a neat edge guarding trick I learned a couple days ago. When your opponent is looking to get back on stage via grabbing the edge, space yourself properly between the ledge and your opponent's distance to roll from the ledge and Place a fire hydrant, then wait a fraction of a second and down smash. The down smash covers the option of normal get up, roll, and jumping. Also, if you timed it correctly as soon as your down smash animation has come out, you will be lifted in the air by your fire hydrant's water, so it sort of auto cancels your down smash and you're able to perform any your aerials, throw an apple(or any fruit) for the great arc it gives and you're able to reverse b if the opponent ends up rolling behind you, ride the water and charge fruit, and if your opponents catches on to this and stays on the edge just use the water and a short hop fast fall bair to punishing his vulnerability on the ledge. This is a pretty useful tip I think. Open to critiques!!

Edit: Also if you read your opponent and realize he is going to do a get up attack on you're hydrant, just do a well timed falling bair as he tries to. No get up attack, of my knowledge, does enough damage to knock your hydrant over in one blow. If so please inform me :)

Last edited:

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
Hey I"m not sure if this has been discussed already but here is a neat edge guarding trick I learned a couple days ago. When your opponent is looking to get back on stage via grabbing the edge, space yourself properly between the ledge and your opponent's distance to roll from the ledge and Place a fire hydrant, then wait a fraction of a second and down smash. The down smash covers the option of normal get up, roll, and jumping. Also, if you timed it correctly as soon as your down smash animation has come out, you will be lifted in the air by your fire hydrant's water, so it sort of auto cancels your down smash and you're able to perform any your aerials, throw an apple(or any fruit) for the great arc it gives and you're able to reverse b if the opponent ends up rolling behind you, ride the water and charge fruit, and if your opponents catches on to this and stays on the edge just use the water and a short hop fast fall bair to punishing his vulnerability on the ledge. This is a pretty useful tip I think. Open to critiques!!

Edit: Also if you read your opponent and realize he is going to do a get up attack on you're hydrant, just do a well timed falling bair as he tries to. No get up attack, of my knowledge, does enough damage to knock your hydrant over in one blow. If so please inform me :)
How about a counter-move or a legs-dropped fair like Toon Link's?
EDIT: Also Pacman's bell counters that as well

Last edited:

NcamSB

Smash Rookie
NNID
NcamSB
How about a counter-move or a legs-dropped fair like Toon Link's?
EDIT: Also Pacman's bell counters that as well
Wouldn't the down smash length cover it before it cancels, or during the beginning frame once youre getting floated by the water do a simple nair to cancal an attack. might be risky on characters that have quick fairs. That bell option is pretty clever though, it hadn't crossed my mind to use it this situation and it will proabably be the best option to 'counter" and counter attack.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
The bell is amazing for stage spikes as well. If you hit them while they recover low, or hit them when they are clinging onto the ledge, it's a super quick stage spike.

Last edited:

fabz97

Smash Cadet
Ive recently put z-dropping keys into my playstyle but atm i can only do it on omega stages that dont float (mushroom kingdom, coliseum, duck hunt, wrecking crew etc) i was wondering if its possible to do it on battlefield, FD, smashville and town+city since theyre common stages.

If it is possible am i just being stupid? Lool

Thanks in advance

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
Ive recently put z-dropping keys into my playstyle but atm i can only do it on omega stages that dont float (mushroom kingdom, coliseum, duck hunt, wrecking crew etc) i was wondering if its possible to do it on battlefield, FD, smashville and town+city since theyre common stages.

If it is possible am i just being stupid? Lool

Thanks in advance
of course.. it's just different parts of the stages you need to throw it at. personally I dislike the bair throw recatch because it has no variations and will force a player to ONLY use that technique to catch it. And here is a question of my own:
Most characters can z-drop->(aerial)attack and virtually use a aerial while holding on to an item. Kind of self-explanatory, to do you just z-drop then quickly do an aerial :/ yeah.. ANYWAY I was trying it with Pacman but would have to fast fall every time to recatch it.... so can Pacman do that too??!! ty

fabz97

Smash Cadet
of course.. it's just different parts of the stages you need to throw it at. personally I dislike the bair throw recatch because it has no variations and will force a player to ONLY use that technique to catch it. And here is a question of my own:
Most characters can z-drop->(aerial)attack and virtually use a aerial while holding on to an item. Kind of self-explanatory, to do you just z-drop then quickly do an aerial :/ yeah.. ANYWAY I was trying it with Pacman but would have to fast fall every time to recatch it.... so can Pacman do that too??!! ty
Ok i will keep practicing thanks

To answer your question i dont have to fast fall i just do it lool, maybe its your timing?

fabz97

Smash Cadet
hmm do you do it while falling/rising/ or the apex of your jump?
Rising usually

I can do the key technique on the left side of BF and both sides of FD now just practicing SV and T+C

Last edited:

InfinityAlex

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4871-5777-3906
So, I've been watching Abadango do some wonderful things with Pac-Man at Apex 2015 and it got me thinking; How does one safely and viably set up bonus fruit (especially the key) for L dropping?

Revibe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Revibe
3DS FC
2380-4883-4721
So, I've been watching Abadango do some wonderful things with Pac-Man at Apex 2015 and it got me thinking; How does one safely and viably set up bonus fruit (especially the key) for L dropping?
The Key is always fun to Z-drop. Usually you need to be very precise when throwing it at the stage, so that it bounces back towards you and you grab it in air. Takes a bit of calculation and practice, but worth it.

Also, you could always take a hit exactly when the Key pops up during your charge. It would make you drop it, and you have to move fast so it doesn't escape you. Personally, I try this when the opponent has soft projectiles (like mario.)

InfinityAlex

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4871-5777-3906
Huh...Abadango was just destroying DaBuz's Rosaluma by Z/L Dropping as soon as he dropped the hydrant. Thing is, he was able to keep picking up the key after each drop. Any tips on getting opponents to stay away from a dropped key?

Revibe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Revibe
3DS FC
2380-4883-4721
Huh...Abadango was just destroying DaBuz's Rosaluma by Z/L Dropping as soon as he dropped the hydrant. Thing is, he was able to keep picking up the key after each drop. Any tips on getting opponents to stay away from a dropped key?
Haha, just don't try to be combo-heavy/spammy with it. Also you could stand on your hydrant and z drop as it spurts straight up, will give you like 4 seconds of free time.

Top Bottom