• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Pac Attack - Advanced Techniques and Strategy Guide

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
It doesn't on everyone. Maybe it true combos on some characters, but I know Samus for one can shield before a DA connects after Dthrow.

Dthrow can be teched.

I believe Fthrow -> Key on the other hand is unavoidable at low %.
This is why I believe DThrow into DThrow to be a better combo. It covers so many options.

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
I'm not sure how to cancel bonus fruit charging besides just hitting the shield button and airdodging or shielding. can anyone explain the various ways to cancel and strategies involved in it? (or provide a link)

thanks!

BSP

Smash Legend
This is why I believe DThrow into DThrow to be a better combo. It covers so many options.
Dthrow -> Up B is good too. It covers everything, including a no tech, tech roll, get up attack, etc., except a jump, which will then be hit by Pac Man from the up B.

I'm not sure how to cancel bonus fruit charging besides just hitting the shield button and airdodging or shielding. can anyone explain the various ways to cancel and strategies involved in it? (or provide a link)

thanks!
If you're on the ground, tapping your shield button while charging BF will make Pac Man stop and return to standing. This is my preferred method of cancelling when I'm on the ground.

You can roll directly out of the BF charge stance. Don't get predictable with it though. I usually don't, but I think you can spotdodge directly out of the charge too.

You can shield, but Pac Man it takes a little bit longer to shield from the BF charge than to shield from neutral. Since you can shield, you can do any OOS option like grab, Usmash OOS, spotdodge, etc.

By tapping the shield button and then quickly inputting a special, Pac Man will cancel the BF charge with whatever special you input. Use trampoline to escape, Side B for a surprise attack or to shield yourself from incoming projectiles, or hydrant for shielding and potentially dodging some projectiles/attacks.

If the air, tapping the shield button will always force Pac Man into an airdodge unless you special cancel the BF charge, so charging BF in the air is riskier. Airdodging or special cancelling are the only two ways to cancel the BF charge in midair, outside of throwing the fruit.

Last edited:

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
Also note that you can B-Reverse a fruit throw from the fruit-charge stance.

Facing the wrong way while charging? No problem, just B-Reverse the throw and immediately switch directions. Hit B then immediately press the direction you want the fruit to go (left or right). Timing is a bit strict, but once you do it a few times in practice mode it becomes second nature.

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
I'm having a lot of problems catching my key with the stage-drop trick. Anyone have any advice? It seems unnecessary but people swear by it, so... What advantage does it have over catching any other fruit?

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
I'm having a lot of problems catching my key with the stage-drop trick. Anyone have any advice? It seems unnecessary but people swear by it, so... What advantage does it have over catching any other fruit?
When you use Key for zdropping, it does 15% damage, more then any other fruit. It also is only fruit that can one shot the hydrant similar to how melon used to. It is the most potent fruit you can get for Zdropping. That is basically it, highest damage. I use melon and Galaxian more, but that is only because I can 100% grab them without issues. They are also quicker to charge to. You can still quickly launch hydrants while z-dropping, but not one hit, so its much harder to catch your opponent off guard. It is however very easy to launch it into them, if they have a weak or low damaging dash attack.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Yeah I've been using bair to f-tilt.

Do you mind explaining to me how to zdrop the key? I saw people discussing it in this thread, but didn't understand fully.

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
Yeah I've been using bair to f-tilt.

Do you mind explaining to me how to zdrop the key? I saw people discussing it in this thread, but didn't understand fully.
Z-dropping is basically done by grabbing. Similar to tether recoveries from Samus and Link. When you do this with no influence on the analog stick you drop whatever you are holding. The easiest way to demonstrate this is to play as link, pull out a bomb, and press Z. Now if you are on the ground, you would throw it behind you. While in the Air, you drop it straight down. As long as your stick in neutral when you "grab" you will drop whatever item you are holding.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I guess the real question I'm asking is, how do you "hold" the key? When you pull it out, you technically don't have it as an item, right? It's just kind of "stored" for the next time you press B. So how do you z-drop it if you aren't holding it?

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
I guess the real question I'm asking is, how do you "hold" the key? When you pull it out, you technically don't have it as an item, right? It's just kind of "stored" for the next time you press B. So how do you z-drop it if you aren't holding it?
You are able to grab it as a throw-able item after you throw it out using B. The easiest of the fruit to do this with is the Galaxian. Throw it out using B, then chase after it with a dash attack and you will pick it up. With Key, you have to use slopes in the stage, or the edge of the stage and catch it while it bounces back after throwing it using B. After that it is like any other holdable item.

CCCM89

Smash Ace
I may have found something utilizing glide tossing and hydrant dashing. basically, get out a cherry, plop down a hydrant, and right as the watter is pushing you, dash forward into the glide toss forward and imediately charge up your smash. the cherry lets you hitstun them long enoguh for the smash to connect and is more reliable then just hydrant smashing, but it does take a bit of set-up, and could possibly be situational. but given the speed you move when dashing with the hydrant water pushing you forward, you get a nice bit of glide distance to get you close enough to smash your opponent. I have had trouble getting this to work consistantly, but then again, I suck at glide tossing. can someone with more skill then me confirm that this tech can work reliably? I would think you could also substitute in a grab if they happen to shield the cherry.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
New way to launch the Hydrant:

Hydrant down --> Z-Drop Cherry --> Nair

Hydrant is now launched and you can throw the Cherry.

EDIT:
New one:

Hydrant on platform --> Drop under platform --> UAir --> Uair

The Hydrant now rampages on the stage.

EDIT: New one:

Hydrant on platform --> FTilt --> Nair

The Hydrant now jumps to the other platform of Battlefield. Apple can do this as well.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I have been using side B as an awesome bait and Mix up lately with the hydrant. I bair the hydrant, jump and then wait for the opponent to rush after it. Then I side B through both the hydrant and the incoming attack on the hydrant. This racks up about 25%, and can really surprise opponents. It will also stop them from trying to dash attack or smash attack your hydrant all the time, giving the opponent less hydrant launches.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Hm I see. Unfortunately, hitting with side-b is so much better when you get the fully charged up version. And that is next to impossible to land (minus edgeguarding situations).

Zage

Smash Journeyman
Here is an alternative to rolling out of Bonus Fruit, which I see just about ever Pac-Man do. You're not just limited to dashing. Jabbing , tilt attacks, jumping, or what have you is possible.

To do it, just lightly tap the shield button while Bonus Fruit is going. If you don't Hold B and try pressing shield, you'll just throw whatever fruit you currently you have stored unless you cycle to the next fruit. Holding B and tapping shield allows you to cancel out of the currently charged fruit.

Last edited:

StoveAteMe

Smash Rookie
NNID
StoveAteMe
Alright I have a couple questions: 1. How would I pick up the key, and use the Z-drop hydrant combo? 2. I'm a bit lost w/ the hydrant and trampoline zoning tech, when should I set up? how would I punish those approaching? can this be used to gimp/edge guard?

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
Alright I have a couple questions: 1. How would I pick up the key, and use the Z-drop hydrant combo? 2. I'm a bit lost w/ the hydrant and trampoline zoning tech, when should I set up? how would I punish those approaching? can this be used to gimp/edge guard?
For the key, Im going to quote myself just a further bit up.

You are able to grab it as a throw-able item after you throw it out using B. The easiest of the fruit to do this with is the Galaxian. Throw it out using B, then chase after it with a dash attack and you will pick it up. With Key, you have to use slopes in the stage, or the edge of the stage and catch it while it bounces back after throwing it using B. After that it is like any other holdable item.
When it comes to zoning, Hydrant can be placed before or after trampoline to make a control of space. Trampoline required that the opposite player either bounce on the trampoline, stay where they are, or jump over it. Each leading to very predictable options from that point. This leads to the ability to charge fruit or other options now that you have limited your opponents. You would set this up to give yourself space from a highly aggressive Little mac or Captain Falcon. with Hydrant placed as well, the water pushes force movement and reaction from your opponent as well. It is to force reaction from your opponent together.

The edge guarding options you have read are made by dropping hydrant at the ledge, hitting it, then using the first bounce of trampoline to force the hydrant to bounce up and back down in place. Making a wall that characters have to either drop from ledge and try to go over, or hope they do not get bounced when getting up from ledge. I am more a fan of just dropping hydrant on the players head myself, but that is what Pac-man is able to do however.

StoveAteMe

Smash Rookie
NNID
StoveAteMe
For the key, Im going to quote myself just a further bit up.

When it comes to zoning, Hydrant can be placed before or after trampoline to make a control of space. Trampoline required that the opposite player either bounce on the trampoline, stay where they are, or jump over it. Each leading to very predictable options from that point. This leads to the ability to charge fruit or other options now that you have limited your opponents. You would set this up to give yourself space from a highly aggressive Little mac or Captain Falcon. with Hydrant placed as well, the water pushes force movement and reaction from your opponent as well. It is to force reaction from your opponent together.

The edge guarding options you have read are made by dropping hydrant at the ledge, hitting it, then using the first bounce of trampoline to force the hydrant to bounce up and back down in place. Making a wall that characters have to either drop from ledge and try to go over, or hope they do not get bounced when getting up from ledge. I am more a fan of just dropping hydrant on the players head myself, but that is what Pac-man is able to do however.
Soo, if I read the edge guarding paragraph part right, you can make the hydrant bounce on the trampoline?

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
No, it still bounces on the stage, just happens to not interfere with the leftover bounces.

I did find out an interesting thing in For Glory today because of a brainstorming session from the need to utilize Side b more. At about -70-120% if a player recovers low, we can hydrant them from above with roughly a full hop, and side B them in hit stun. I would like to test this, but I do not have a live test subject to help me with this.

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
So I haven't seen anyone mention or do this before, but have you tried incorporating down throw into jab locks into your game? I find it helpful on the bigger bodied characters since it's easier to perform but it still requires your opponent to miss the tech on down throw.

Basically around 20% or whenever down throw knocks your opponent to the ground and they miss a tech, you can quickly dash up and rising short hop fair > falling fair to lock them. Then depending on percentages, you either do one more rising fair then land and punish their get up OR you skip the 3rd fair and dash behind them and pivot grab and attempt a second jab lock. Or you can just throw them for better positioning. If you're able to get the second jab lock off (for whatever reason since it requires your opponent to miss ANOTHER tech), you should be able to rack up close to 50-60% and possibly get a KO with a fully charged fsmash.

I've been able to get the pivot grab portion on a quite a few people but rarely do I get the 2nd jab lock due to my opponents teching or they're out of reach and I can't fair them. However, would anyone like to test which characters this works reliably on? From my experience, characters like Bowser are easy to lock with fair, Captain Falcon has moderate difficulty, while some characters like Rosalina or Lucina are pretty difficult to hit it with.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhBtgQSA7vY

Here's a video of what I meant.

Last edited:

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
I am finding that Nair is a great kill option offstage as opposed to bair because most players seem to expect a fair when we jump out after them. It also lasts just long enough to sourspot an air dodge. Needs more science and less For Glory though.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
I am finding that Nair is a great kill option offstage as opposed to bair because most players seem to expect a fair when we jump out after them. It also lasts just long enough to sourspot an air dodge. Needs more science and less For Glory though.
All my offline friends know about it, lol. Tons of sourspots, everyone is airdodging that now.

Yeah, its pretty dangerous. But, the mental pressure allows you to land "under-stage Bair spikes". Just wait for the Air Dodge, and use Bair as they fall below the lip of the stage.

Kyuuki-kun

Smash Rookie
I found myself using NAir a lot more as well, anyone can tell me any practical uses for DAir? It's the only aerial of Pac's I find that isn't too hot.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
I found myself using NAir a lot more as well, anyone can tell me any practical uses for DAir? It's the only aerial of Pac's I find that isn't too hot.
Mixing SH Dair is useful when your opponent starts letting go of shield after power-shielding SH Fair.

SH Dair does NOT autocancel on SH, so you have to fully commit yourself to landing the last hit. If your opponent shields all strikes, he will likely counter-attack on your landing lag. So its a dangerous option, but its a useful mixup when your opponent begins to power-shield your aerial approaches.

There is ONLY one attack in PacMan's arsenal which punishes "Shield the first hit, grab before the 2nd". SH Dair is it. No other attack punishes the opponent who gets lazy with PowerShield->Grabs.

But because its such a dangerous tool for us to use, I very rarely use the attack.

Last edited:

StoveAteMe

Smash Rookie
NNID
StoveAteMe
All my offline friends know about it, lol. Tons of sourspots, everyone is airdodging that now.

Yeah, its pretty dangerous. But, the mental pressure allows you to land "under-stage Bair spikes". Just wait for the Air Dodge, and use Bair as they fall below the lip of the stage.
Or you can do jab hydrant rush combo, and when you fall off the stage(with your enemy), you can nair then

Lord Cruxis

Smash Cadet
OMG! New mix up guys ! during neutral while you're doing SH fair instead of just doing another fair or going behind to do a bair...if they're still shielding, Pretend you're going to go behind for a bair, but don't. stop and jump again to foot stool and drop a hydrant. The foot stooling breaks the shield and its enough stun to drop the down B! It works! Its insane!

Edit: its a bit funny to do...but you'll see what i mean

Last edited:

fabz97

Smash Cadet
HUGEE s/o to abadango showing the world his god tier pacman, really learnt some stuff from him, shame he had to face our worst nightmare in rosa-luma:(

Top Bottom