• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Overused or GOOD?

PK Hexagon

Smash Apprentice
4. Attentions on these characters (I'll say...snake and MK) becomes disproportionate to the attention on other characters who appeared to be less suitable for competitive play. Naturally because more effort is put into these characters their techniques and overall metagame is developed quicker. Also naturally because more people focus their attention on these characters they probably use them to...which means since more people use Snake then say Yoshi,that more Snake mains enter tournaments. And because Snake mains are using a more developed character (snake duh), Snakes win more tournaments than anyone else, not only because their character is being developed quickly, but because many people play him… thus increasing the chances of a snake winning a tournament.
Eh. I've always hated that point. Mainly because I go to the MK boards and what do I see? A Meta-Knight guild, and threads asking whats behind MK's mask. The Snake boards are better, but barely (Snake is mostly improvisation anyway).

And then, I see that Ike's character board has 21,000 posts. Sonic's has 32,000. Lucario's board has Inner Fire, a series of informative videos about Lucario, and UndrDog does something similar for Pit.

That doesn't seem like a lack of metagame progression to me. You can't really use that point as a reason to why Snake and MK are godly. Their communities are sub-par, lol.

xX Boezy Xx

Smash Journeyman
2. In the business world, an entrepreneur is a person who organizes and manages any enterprise, esp. a business,usually with considerable initiative and risk.
Be the entrepreneur. Rather than choose a character just because he is winning, try someone different. Pick up Yoshi/Samus/Jigglypuff/Peach/Captain Falcon/Ganondorf/etc. Because the metagame is so new and because all the attention is being placed on the overused characters right now, this is YOUR time to be the inventor. Swallow your pride, pick up a new character, and learn them. Don’t be afraid if you get your butt kicked by the Overused characters for sometime. Remember-they have had much more attention and support than your character. But eventually you will begin to see the results and the fruits of your labor, and as a matter of fact, you’ll begin to reap the advantages and rewards of using an underused character. By the way, some of our most successful smashers have been entrepreneurs. Taj/Bum/Chu Dat/Mango anyone? M2/DK/ICs/Puff wtf ftw? This is YOUR time to learn a new character. Get out there and do it while the community is still young, and get those props you deserve for quite possibly altering our metagame. .

*tear* Oh God... that means so much to me... a lowly Ganondorf main.

*Gives you a large, and exceptionally delicious cookie*

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Truthfully, and I will get flamed for this, but replace MK and Snake in your post, and that's how i feel.
Snake is not better than Snake. Snake is easy to learn, yes. Snake has virtually no lag on all of his attacks, ridiculous specials, extra jumps, and all that other jazz. But Snake will soon have no depth, imo. I believe that he is a shallow character, and as the meta-game progresses, I believe he will be surpassed, tho never left behind, because he is incredibly easy to play. A 6 year old girl could play as him and win.
I think I'm doing something wrong.

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
Eh. I've always hated that point. Mainly because I go to the MK boards and what do I see? A Meta-Knight guild, and threads asking whats behind MK's mask. The Snake boards are better, but barely (Snake is mostly improvisation anyway).

And then, I see that Ike's character board has 21,000 posts. Sonic's has 32,000. Lucario's board has Inner Fire, a series of informative videos about Lucario, and UndrDog does something similar for Pit.

That doesn't seem like a lack of metagame progression to me. You can't really use that point as a reason to why Snake and MK are godly. Their communities are sub-par, lol.
Hm...I see what you mean. I can't use that point, can I?
However I will say as a generalization that it would appear that many more people use Metaknight/Snake competitively than say...Ike/Lucario. Even if there are more posts on these threads, more people in general seem to use MK and Snake than any other character as of right now.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
People need to look at this very differently. With Every great Power, there comes a price. Everything has a weakness. And the best way to win is to attack that weakness. Now all that so good about Meta has been said. now lets talk about whats bad about him or things you can abuse.

You know Metas Love to do air combos and finish it with Up-B Now if you air doge it and you guys land Near each other, Its a free hit for you. Meta Also dies quick going up. So If you can somehow set a attack going that way at high damage then your good to go. he is the fitth lightes in the game. Mach Tornado does not auto-grab the ledge, rather it bounces off. Most of his attacks lack KO power. so if your good at DI and can stand up to Meta well then your ok on this part. Reliant on edge-guarding for early kills. All of his special moves (with the possible exception of Shuttle Loop, ironically) leave him helpless, which can result in an SD. crouching gives him almost no vertical height reduction. No projectiles. Small multi-jumps. now this may not Mean much but it can go a long way if your clever to use this to your advantage. and he has poor air speed.

With all great things about a character there comes a price. Now Its up to the player to come up with a way with the character they use to abuse all the Cons about Meta or any character they have a problem with and come out on top. I see lost complain about Meta and snake. Yet they dont bother to learn about the character fully and thier bad sides about them. People dont realize that characters have weaknesses. All of them. You have to learn them. Then come up with a strat with your character to abuse them so you can ease the stress in the fight and win. Thats how you deal with ard to beat characters.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
duh theres a lot of ways to beak a good MK. maybe u dont have to swtich to DK or snake. but hes a good character, making it much harder FOR YOU the player. but in a game like brawl MK fits a lot of things ppl want, air combos, speedy attacks, and a short ball with a sword.

i main snake and ddd but maining marth in melee for so long makes me like meta because of the playing style. i dropped marth for mk in this game and it worked out for me. obviously there are a lot of things that catch a good mk offguard and counter picked stages, characters and smart play all help

Kros

Smash Apprentice
Pk Fire an MK and pray for the next minutes to not be painful and quick.

Aether_Lord

Smash Apprentice
Are you tired of seeing finals of Marth and Falco? Are you tired of seeing finals of MK and Snake? I can set up a program called "tiers are for que*rs program" See heres how it goes if you asked the guys fav character to use and he says someone else then snake and MK or marth, but are using them at tournies you should 1. Hit them with the wiimote 2. Hit them with the Wiimote and Numchuck and 3. Hit them with your GC controller =)!! anyways back to topic, I rarely see any MKs here and in videos mostly i see Snakes around here and videos. MK is not THAT over used but still over used snake is like the Capt. Falcon of melee

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Are you tired of seeing finals of Marth and Falco? Are you tired of seeing finals of MK and Snake? I can set up a program called "tiers are for que*rs program" See heres how it goes if you asked the guys fav character to use and he says someone else then snake and MK or marth, but are using them at tournies you should 1. Hit them with the wiimote 2. Hit them with the Wiimote and Numchuck and 3. Hit them with your GC controller =)!! anyways back to topic, I rarely see any MKs here and in videos mostly i see Snakes around here and videos. MK is not THAT over used but still over used snake is like the Capt. Falcon of melee
i would so like to do that if i had the guts too lol, maybe >.>

i don't think MK and Snake are unbeatable just hard to beat. :bee:

fmonkay678

Smash Rookie
My awkwardly phrased post meant that MK is the best and most broken character in the game by far of any other character including Snake.(IMO) He has no weaknesses.
The reason MK doesn't win every tournament is because it just happens he has one horrible weakness, and his name is Snake. Snake has more bad match ups than MK, but since he still owns MK's always run into him and then they lose. Up-tilt deaths at 90% and multi hit attacks vs grenades are enough to make it a bad matchup for MK and that is just some of the reasons Snake owns MK.

Anyway they are all overused. I prefer less popular characters, as my opponents aren't well-versed in fighting them, and it is fun being more unique.

Top Bottom