• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Overcoming the Scrub Mentality: How to Maximize Your Tournament Potential

Lord Chair

Smash Master
i rarely if ever practice and i beat people who spend hours a day on this game

kaos quit for 8 months and got 3rd in an international

yeah these arguments are really weak and void, just like yours

the best player in the world, is that undisputedly m2k? honestly? you dont need to practice against cpus for 7 hours a day to have perfect control in this game

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
i rarely if ever practice and i beat people who spend hours a day on this game

kaos quit for 8 months and got 3rd in an international

yeah these arguments are really weak and void, just like yours

the best player in the world, is that undisputedly m2k? honestly? you dont need to practice against cpus for 7 hours a day to have perfect control in this game
Once again, I said play against people. Not cpus. Good players. If you play against ****ty people, well then yeah those hours don't count for much. You call my argument weak yet you bring up **** like playing against cpus when I said DON'T do that.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
M2K is inarguably the most successful Brawl player in the world, so thus he's the best overall (current best player is more debatable). Are you trying to dismiss the hours he spent developing MK's metagame as somehow not relevant to his success? Really?

Sure Brawl isn't as technical as Melee, but for any freaking competitive game, it's silly to try to imply that practicing is pointless. And I don't care what your experience is. There are people who don't know the right way to practice, and I don't see you placing first in nationals like M2K. M2K practices an insane amount, hence why he's insanely good.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
note how i noted my arguments were as terrible as yours, implying mine were terrible

reading comprehension is bliss
Yeah see the problem is my arguments actually have a point, you don't even address what the **** I'm saying, just "lol no". No, you're right, Brawl is incredibly different from any other competitive game ever, and thus requires no practice. Sure.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
m2k practices a lot so that must mean perpetual practice is essential

ramin doesnt practice for several hours a day and places first at internationals

that must obv mean that you shouldnt practice before a tournament

after all, the best european player must be the best player in the world

where is your point now

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Lol Chair, it's the playstyle. Ramin is more offensive and creative, thus allowing a more improvisatory style, which needs less practice. Yes, M2k might need to practice 8 hours a day, but that depends on style. America just plays differently.

Winnar

Smash Lord
HMM another featured blog

smells like FOUL PLAY, ZIGSTA

lol but anyway good read! Even though I've been doing tournaments for some time now it's still good to get a refresher :D

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Smelling nice is important. Trust me on this.

This blog is slowly turning from "how do I game?" to "how do I life?," just like it should be. :3c

Bing

Smash Master
I ALWAYS shower before an event. I grab nice or decent clothes(nice or decent being like, not some random t-shirt and gym shorts). I agree, and like anything, making a good first impression is important. My first smashfest was at Kirbykaze's house. My first match were an hour of friendlies against him. I won my first match, and then he eventually began rapping me, then I caught up again. and yeah, I got rapped, accepted it. Then learned from it. Ive slowly been moving up the ladder and I agree 100% with this list. Its perfect.

Fantastic job Zig.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
Wow, great read ^__^! I might be going to my first tournament soon, so it was nice to find this blog ^__^. I'll be sure to remember this when I go!

Thank you so much for taking your time to write this, Zig ^__^! I hope you get better from Tendinitis!

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Once again, I said play against people. Not cpus. Good players. If you play against ****ty people, well then yeah those hours don't count for much. You call my argument weak yet you bring up **** like playing against cpus when I said DON'T do that.
If I don't have a training partner should I just practice crazy tech skill instead?

Thomas.

Smash Rookie
NNID
Orodreth
Great read. Tendonitus (sp?) ? I have that too lol. I recently played in my first tournament (iCON 2011) in New York and got in the Semifinals. Great feeling of accomplishment for a tourney noob. But yeah, good thread. ^^

hedgehog9597

Smash Rookie
I am sort of a noob, so this was very helpful to me. Also, I have read that book, "how to win friends and influence people" and think it's awesome. I have so many more friends and actually made our last family vacation enjoyable.

See, people like to talk about themselves. Oops.

Anyways, thanks a ton. It's about time somebody helped people with something besides brawl on this forum.

Thanks,
hedgehog

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
If I don't have a training partner should I just practice crazy tech skill instead?
No, you need to find good people to play with. There is some 'tech skill' in Brawl, but most of it is timing **** that's kinda hard to learn by yourself. Either way, play people, you have to. For every game. Ever.

BlueSuperSonic1

Smash Journeyman
I don't see how Brawl 'tech skill' applies considering he's a Melee player, which for the most part requires more tech skill, especially with characters like Fox.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I don't see how Brawl 'tech skill' applies considering he's a Melee player, which for the most part requires more tech skill, especially with characters like Fox.
I'm sorry for not keeping track of everyone's game preference in this thread, oh please accept my sincerest apologies, I'll try harder next time, just for you.

Also, what Lythium said.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I have no trouble not talking about Brawl at a tournament. That's completely unrelated to a Smash Bros. tournament.

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
m2k practices a lot so that must mean perpetual practice is essential

ramin doesnt practice for several hours a day and places first at internationals

that must obv mean that you shouldnt practice before a tournament

after all, the best european player must be the best player in the world

where is your point now
I don't think that you're understanding the difference between placing well in tournaments and being one of the best in the world. Large gap. It's been said already but I feel like reiterating.

M2K practices, and practices hard. Between tourney matchs he's 0-deathing CPUs to make sure he's correct in his methods or at least to stay sharp.

High placers, sure, **** happens and you can just win win win. You can just be good at prediction and option holding. But you won't reach a level of M2K or any "Pro" player's unless you practice.

^^^

Why gamers don't get laid.
Untrue, baby. Untrue. :cool:

You forgot to mention that you first have to actually pick a good competitive game. Hint, brawl isn't one of them.
Yeah yeah, we all know it's unbalanced. The more you play Melee, the more convinced you are that you don't need to bash Brawl. Admittedly, playing Brawl does help in Melee. Knowledge foretold.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Good read, and thank you for posting. I've been playing smash for a while, but I'm very new to the competitive scene and that's some good stuff to keep in mind. I've played and made my mark in online tournaments for other games, but I haven't really been to events like this before and it's something I'd keep in mind.

Now that I'm old enough to live on my own and do what I want, it would be awesome to start competing in smash tournaments. I'll be coming back to this topic for sure! Thanks again...

Top Bottom