• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Out of all of the franchises that are represented in Smash, which 3 are your favorite?

D

Deleted member

Out of all the franchises that are represented in Smash, what are you’re top 3? (NOT counting Smash itself of course)

My top 3:
#1- Legend of Zelda

#2-Metroid

#3-Metal Gear Solid

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Oh boy... I'd say the top three are Mario, Sonic, and Pokémon, but maybe not in that order?

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
1.) The Legend of Zelda- I can’t even begin to tell you how much Zelda means to me. When I was younger, I was bullied a decent bit and was somewhat of an outcast. This series let me feel like I was seriously capable of achieving greatness, and who even knows what would have happened if this series didn’t exist. Truly is one of the most amazing things I’ve ever experienced, and is my favorite series to date.

2.) Super Mario- A typical one, but a true one nonetheless. Mario I played even earlier than Zelda, and I was hooked from the start. Specifically, Super Mario Sunshine and Luigi’s Mansion are some of my favorite games to date. They mean a ton to me, and Mario odyssey was one of the most pure gaming experiences I’ve had in an incredibly long time.

3.) Sonic the Hedgehog- Looking back, this may have been the very first game series I ever played. The simplistic yet so charming character designs, unparalleled music, and vast level variety made it truly stand out compared to Mario. Although it has unfortunately become a bit of a laughing stock in recent years, the good old days of Sonic are those of true bliss. Sonic Mania also has allowed Sonic to, in the first time in years, become a positive image in the public eye, and hopefully Sega doesn’t screw things up yet again and botch this great series for the umpteenth time.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
top 3 (non-specific order)

:ultlink:
:ultshulk:
:ultinkling:

note: going with my current feelings about each franchise. I just don't have as much fun playing most games I used to love like Pokemon, Mario and Sonic. Plus its been forever since I played a Metal Gear Solid game.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
:ultsamus:Metroid
:ultlink:Zelda
:ultpikachu:Pokemon

Honourable Mention
:ultshulk:Xenoblade

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Easy ~

1. :ultpikachu:
2. :ultfalcon:
3. :ultryu:

Explanations-

Pokémon; Been part of my childhood, and has kept growing with me. Love the concept, the design and most of the games. The anime was also something I used to watch a lot when I was younger. Even watch some of them today. Still play the games, and enjoy the journey. Pokémon Gold was my first game, and I've had at least one of each gen ever since.

F-Zero; Despite being on a hiatus, this series is really intense. I love the concept of 30 racers at the same time. The intensity of the speed it gives. It's pretty action filled for a race game. That feeling when you nail a crush and you see the count of racers dropping since you eliminate them is just really satesfying. Also, SEGA did a great job on GX, fleshing out each pilot with story, and individual music which was preeeeeeeetty dope! Really need another F-Zero right about now. Also ... The bloody intensity of this game, it was really hard to beat.

Street Fighter; The first fighting game I've ever played, and a franchise I've kept up to date ever since. My first was Street Fighter Alpha 3 on the PS1. It has been my favourite 2D fighter since then. The story might be trash, but the concept and gameplay is pretty fun!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Xenoblade, Mother, Pokemon.

Metal Gear barely misses out on top 3. I also really like Street Fighter, but that would sit at a comfortable #5.

D

Deleted member

Xenoblade, Mother, Pokemon.

Metal Gear barely misses out on top 3. I also really like Street Fighter, but that would sit at a comfortable #5.
I've hear Street Fighter games are good, but the only experience I have with them is MVC, if that even counts.

EDIT: Sorry if I double-posted again guys. This is my first time being on any kind of internet fourm, so this'll take some getting used to.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
:ultpikachu: - been playing since I was 3
:ultdk: - own every DKC game
:ultlink: - loved majora's mask, ALBW, Ocarina of Time, and have played a few others

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
1. :ultlink:The Legend of Zelda. My favourite game series of all time. Not even counting the, IMO, consistent master quality of these games for such a long running franchise (Excluding CDI, of course), the Legend of Zelda easily makes up about a good 30-40% of my childhood. Majora's Mask is my favourite game of all time. I will cherish this series always.

2. :ultsnake:Metal Gear. The zany and lovable characters; the wacky combination of science, technology the military and.... anime? XD; the insane, yet thought provoking story; the 4th wall breaks; the surprisingly deep gameplay (Especially in MGS 3,4 and 5) and of course, the inside jokes and memes. Metal Gear checks off all the right boxes for me.

3. :ultmarth:Fire Emblem. I first experienced Fire Emblem at a friend's house back around the time leading up to Brawl's release. The game in question was Path of Radiance. I was really intrigued by the game play, as I had never seen a game quite like it before. My friend let me borrow it for a couple weeks, and I instantly fell in love with the game. I love planning things out in real life, so Fire Emblem game play definitely complimented that love, what with its focus on preparation and strategy. (Funny enough, Ike was revealed as a newcomer in Brawl literally two days after I first played PoR, so that was pretty cool. Got spoiled on Ragnell though. XD )

Since then, I've played every Fire Emblem game and have loved pretty much all of them. Radiant Dawn is in my top 10 favourite games of all time, and Ike is now one of my favourite game characters of all time.

D

Deleted member

1. :ultlink:The Legend of Zelda. My favourite game series of all time. Not even counting the, IMO, consistent master quality of these games for such a long running franchise (Excluding CDI, of course), the Legend of Zelda easily makes up about a good 30-40% of my childhood. Majora's Mask is my favourite game of all time. I will cherish this series always.

2. :ultsnake:Metal Gear. The zany and lovable characters; the wacky combination of science, technology the military and.... anime? XD; the insane, yet thought provoking story; the 4th wall breaks; the surprisingly deep gameplay (Especially in MGS 3,4 and 5) and of course, the inside jokes and memes. Metal Gear checks off all the right boxes for me.

3. :ultmarth:Fire Emblem. I first experienced Fire Emblem at a friend's house back around the time leading up to Brawl's release. The game in question was Path of Radiance. I was really intrigued by the game play, as I had never seen a game quite like it before. My friend let me borrow it for a couple weeks, and I instantly fell in love with the game. I love planning things out in real life, so Fire Emblem game play definitely complimented that love, what with its focus on preparation and strategy. (Funny enough, Ike was revealed as a newcomer in Brawl literally two days after I first played PoR, so that was pretty cool. Got spoiled on Ragnell though. XD )

Since then, I've played every Fire Emblem game and have loved pretty much all of them. Radiant Dawn is in my top 10 favourite games of all time, and Ike is now one of my favourite game characters of all time.
Cool! I also saw your other threads about what people though about the Smash character outside of Smash! I really liked those.
And yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about Zelda too. Breath of The Wild floored me like I had never been floored before in my life.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Cool! I also saw your other threads about what people though about the Smash character outside of Smash! I really liked those.
And yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about Zelda too. Breath of The Wild floored me like I had never been floored before in my life.
Actually those threads are mine

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
I'll also include my favorite video games fron each three franchise as well.
  1. Mario - Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. I actually had a hard time deciding on that, or the original Paper Mario.
  2. Legend of Zelda - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. Man this used to be a difficult question; it was always either that, or Twilight Princess.
  3. Fire Emblem - Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. The second game and favorite part of the Nintendo Gamecube, my first Fire Emblem, and my overall favorite in the entire series!
All three games would easily go on my "Top 10 Favorite Videogames of all Time" list, though I haven't really thought of a complete one yet.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
1. Metroid
2. Pokémon
3. Zelda

It's not even particularly close, Metroid is by far my favorite series. The gameplay, world design, theme, story, character and boss designs, it all just clicks for me. I also speedrun some of the games, so I still play them regularly.

With Pokémon I've played every generation, starting with Red back in 2000 (we didn't get Gen 2 in Europe until a year later), so even though the last two generations haven't been for me it's still near and dear to me.

Zelda I'm not sure I even need to explain, the quality of the games speak for themselves. 2D or 3D, it doesn't matter, in the end it's always a great adventure.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. Metroid
2. Pokémon
3. Zelda

It's not even particularly close, Metroid is by far my favorite series. The gameplay, world design, theme, story, character and boss designs, it all just clicks for me. I also speedrun some of the games, so I still play them regularly.

With Pokémon I've played every generation, starting with Red back in 2000 (we didn't get Gen 2 in Europe until a year later), so even though the last two generations haven't been for me it's still near and dear to me.

Zelda I'm not sure I even need to explain, the quality of the games speak for themselves. 2D or 3D, it doesn't matter, in the end it's always a great adventure.
I hear you man. Zelda and Metroid are amazing series.

Ronster87

Ronnie
NNID
Ronster87
Switch FC
7787-7027-5981
This one is so incredibly difficult to me...

I'll go with:

1a. :ultcloud:
1b. :ulttoonlink:
2. :ultmario:
3. :ultmegaman:

D

Deleted member

This one is so incredibly difficult to me...

I'll go with:

1a. :ultcloud:
1b. :ulttoonlink:
3. :ultmegaman:
Question. How good are the Final Fantasy titles? I've heard there supposed to be these really iconic games, but some of them are supposedly contraversial.
Do you have any titles that you would recommend?

Ronster87

Ronnie
NNID
Ronster87
Switch FC
7787-7027-5981
The more recent ones are disappointing IMO, but all the FFs from 4 through 10 are worth playing. My personal favorites are 7 and 6 (both absolute classics). Mystic Quest and 4 hold a special place for me as well just for the nostalgia (I played them when I was 6 years old). 8 and 9 are fun, but not as memorable to me.

I would recommend you play 6 first, and then 7. I find it much easier to play SNES-era games than early 3d games, graphically speaking. FF7 is sadly not at all visually pleasing anymore.

Last edited:

Standlord

Smash Cadet
1. :ultlink:
3. :ultpikachu:

Nowadays I don't like that much Pokémon but I cannot deny that it has been one of the franchises I've played the most and the first game I ever played was Pokémon Yellow so it has to have a special place.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
1. :ultmario: Especially these days by a wide margin. So much variety in the games; Kart, Tennis, Platformers, Puzzle games, etc. Hard to not love Mario and his friends.
2.:ultpikachu:Consumed my soul for over 20 years although my interest waned considerably after X/Y as someone who liked to "Collect em all"
3. ...:ultlink:/:ultsonic:/:ultdk:/:ultkirby: Genuinely cannot decide. Sonic was my childhood, but there's been a good number of Zelda titles(mostly spinoffs tbh) that I've played obsessively, DK and Kirby's latest titles have been so damn good I want to elevate them high up the list.

D

Deleted member

The more recent ones are disappointing IMO, but all the FFs from 4 through 10 are worth playing. My personal favorites are 7 and 6 (both absolute classics). Mystic Quest and 4 hold a special place for me as well just for the nostalgia (I played them when I was 6 years old). 8 and 9 are fun, but not as memorable to me.

I would recommend you play 6 first, and then 7. I find it much easier to play SNES-era games than early 3d games, graphically speaking. FF7 is sadly not at all visually pleasing anymore.
Thanks man. I'll be sure to check em out sometime!

StormC

Smash Hero
1. :ultmario: Boring answer, I know, but Super Mario World was my first video game and changed everything for me. I love the Mario setting, characters, species, and games. While I don't play the RPGs as much nowadays, Super Mario RPG and the first two Paper Marios are some of my all time favorite games. Mix in the fantastic 2D and 3D platformers, sprinkle a few Kart/sport/party spin-offs on top, and you have the greatest video game series of all time.

2. :ultpikachu: Yeah, also a boring answer. Started with Pokemon Red in 1998 and it became a lifelong obsession. Despite my misgivings with the 3DS titles, I've played and enjoyed every mainline Pokemon game, often multiple times due to the insanely high replay value. I even had a brief stint in competitive battling until gen 6 throttled that. I hope gen 8 can bring the series back on track somewhat, as it feels like currently the series peaked on the DS, between Platinum, HGSS, and BW2. That said, I've mostly shied away from the spin-offs, since the main style of gameplay is one of the biggest draws to me.

3. :ultmegaman: Mega Man is an interesting case. I came into the series slowly and gradually over time. My first experience was Mega Man X with the SNES, which I enjoyed a lot, but had a hard time beating as my younger self. I later revisited the series thanks to the Battle Network series (and later Star Force) and eventually the collections of the classic/X games. There wasn't a single "moment" where the series just clicked for me, it's been more of a slow burn. But I frequently replay the Classic series due to their pick-up-and-play nature, and while I'm a bit more mixed on the X series due to the convoluted plot and higher volume of items to collect, X1 and X4 are stone cold classics. The cyberspace-based action-RPGs offer a great series in their own right as well.

Runner-ups: :ultlink::ultdk::ultkirby::ultsnake::ultsonic:

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
1.Sonic
2.Pokemon (thanks to anime)
3.Kid Icarus

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
1. Metroid
2. Zelda
3. Donkey Kong

Those three have on average the highest quality over all games in my opinion...
Special mentions:
Mario (excellent games in the mix, but also some I don't really got into)
Pokemon (got worse with the newer games and the spinoffs)
Kirby (I have a soft spot for this, but overall the games are too easy for me now)
Xenoblade (I love Chronicles 1, but couldn't get into X and 2)
Animal Crossing (I really had fun with New Leaf, but it is the only game I played in this franchise)

Last edited:
Top Bottom