• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Our Female Demographic

D

Deleted member

That's funny because most of these "sexist" thoughts that I give out, the only times I really get intense criticism from it is from men. Most women I talk to generally don't have a problem with it (in fact, they usually agree), because it isn't out of malevolence..
Your profile says you're 19 years old. You think your experiences with the teenage girls in your small piece of the world are really indicative of anything?

If you think you can get away with making decisions for all the women you come across because they can't decide anything themselves, you are sadly mistaken. You better hope you never get stuck with a female boss, or a female professor, or any female with any sort of power over you because if you treat them that way, you're going to have opportunities squashed. You will lose many girlfriends/end up as a divorce statistic if they feel like you are a control-freak in your relationship. You'll get slapped with a lawsuit if you attempt that "I know what you really want" BS in the wrong situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

homesuck

Smash Rookie
-i didn't put words into your mouth. i paraphrased this, pal
That assumes women want to rule the world, lead armies, invent new branches of science, explore and learn about the universe, build themselves prosperous businesses that earn them billions of dollars, all ultimately in the search of status, contribution to the species, and respect.

While certainly just about every guy drools over things like that, it really doesn't do it for most women. Not to say that there aren't any out there, but for the vast majority? Not really.
-i never said you r*ped anyone but you DO sound like someone who would. your example of the conversation where you disregard a "no" followed by your quote earlier "i never take things girls say at face value." IS a r*pist mentality and if you aren't a r*pist you should rethink acting like that

-lmao nice you've met girls who don't actively care about equality that's great idc

-men and women DO have different roles in relationships, the question is SHOULD THEY. men and women do have different interests, the question is are they truly natural or products of today's media campaigns/learned gender roles

yeah i'm with drodeka i'm out enjoy being abusive or don't idc u do u man

edit sixsaw: i know what it means i'm laughing at how wildly you're overreacting to the notion of minor positive changes like.. relax dude you've had plenty of time being the superior gender quit calling the desire for equality an """"agenda""""

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
Christ, Vash, your anecdotal evidence of your female friends who totally don't have a problem with you denying that they have agency or could have traits that you don't identify as feminine has completely convinced me that you're not a sexist stereotyping sack of stool with a detestably narrow-minded worldview.

I guess it's because you're so good at telling women what they should think or decide. Weak-minded men like me need folks like you to step in and rescue us from the muddle of our own indecisive minds from time to time as well. Thanks!
If by sexist, you mean a person who sees both sexes as being different, then you bet your ass. Difference is I'm not being a total douche and telling the world "All women are lying sluts, don't believe a thing they say". I love women. I look out for them (though not to the extent of white-knighting), I care for them, and I like seeing them happy.

I'll make a whole another post explaining myself, I just got back from an event and I'm mentally drained right now.

Your profile says you're 19 years old. You think your experience with the teenage girls in your small piece of the world is really indicative of anything?

If you think you can get away with making decisions for all the women you come across because they can't decide anything themselves, you are sadly mistaken. You better hope you never come across a female boss, or a female professor, or any female with any sort of power over you because if you treat them that way, you're going to have opportunities squashed. You will lose many girlfriends/end up as a divorce statistic if they feel like you are a control-freak in your relationship. You'll get in deep trouble with the law if you attempt that "I know what you really want" BS in the wrong situation.
I know far more than you would think, SmashFromThePast.

If you really want to continue this, PM me and I'll try to explain myself best I can. I'll be damned if I'm gonna be ganged up on here.

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I look out for them (though not to the extent of white-knighting), I care for them, and I like seeing them happy.
And yet you truly, sincerely believe that if a girl doesn't want to go to a party, she's just a confused duckling who needs to be told what she actually wants to do by someone who is actually decisive because he's a man and that give him the right to dictate her actions.

And you don't get how that's an absurd, toxic and sexist mentality to have.

Can't help you there, dude.

Vashimus

Smash Master
And yet you truly, sincerely believe that if a girl doesn't want to go to a party, she's just a confused duckling who needs to be told what she actually wants to do by someone who is actually decisive because he's a man and that give him the right to dictate her actions.

And you don't get how that's an absurd, toxic and sexist mentality to have.

Can't help you there, dude.
Like I told Smash, PM. I'll get to process my thoughts better at least.

D

Deleted member

No thank you. I have no interest in discussing this further. I'll treat women the way I feel is best, and you do your thing. Good luck to you :rolleyes:

Vashimus

Smash Master
No thank you. I have no interest in discussing this further. I'll treat women the way I feel is best, and you do your thing. Good luck to you :rolleyes:
I didn't mean any of what I said in a spiteful way, but I insist on finishing this convo. Call it an exercise in catharsis for me so I know you won't look at me in disgust every time you see one of my posts, because I always thought you were a cool dude.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
oh wow a guy on the internet claiming that his many girl friends are totally okay with how sexist he is wow I've never seen that before no sir

Jynx

Smash Cadet
Well this heated up fast.

Anyways, I'm glad everyone's staying on topic for the most part. But I think we've strayed away from the core of the problem of how we can spread our demographic to more females and how we treat them. Although, what you guys are discussing is a very critical topic that needs to be broken down.

homesuck

Smash Rookie
yeah i was going to post this after vash's next post but now seems like a good time. i wasn't trying to start a witch hunt so apologies for kind of turning this into one

on topic edit: i mentioned it early but again one of the biggest steps forward aside from simply "take females more seriously" that i think we could do would be to entirely eliminate casual sexist/ableist/etc terminology. it's never needed and it would only take a little bit of effort from everyone to ensure everyone is loads more comfortable

Last edited:

Giga-Bowser

Smash Rookie
Go back to tumblr, homestruck. This talk about ableism, fat shaming, and accusing someone of being a potential rapist because they don't pray to the cult of equality adds little of value to the conversation.

Words like **** and Gay aren't good to use if we want to be taken more seriously as a community. I think most people know that by now and the streamers are being strict about keeping the commentary clean. For the most part I think smash has become much more professional over the last few years, but there definitely are a few situations where guys aren't inclusive enough towards women who attend events. I think when Smash 4 comes out there will be a shift in demographics, and that will be a great opportunity to welcome a surge of women and others who probably wouldn't be interested otherwise.

Juken

Smash Ace
I have to say that I found the first few paragraphs hilarious because they were like "No, I don't pick them cause I'm a girl!" but then one of them mained Peach, Sheik, and Jigglypuff. Like how do you expect us to take your comment about sexism seriously, then you by coincidence play the 3 most expected female characters. I mean, it's just funny what a coincidence that is.

Edit: The first few paragraphs in the article you linked, not in your post.

But judging from what I've heard, all players in the competitive scene get trash talked until they prove themselves as ready to play with the big dogs, but you just have to ignore it and do what you came to do. Same applies to girls.

Last edited:

Hitzel

Smash Ace
One thing that I've noticed over the years when it comes to men talking about women and women talking about men...

People often (innocently enough) look back at their own personal experiences with the opposite gender in an effort to form opinions on these subjects, but what people forget is that everyone is compatible with certain personality types, so people end up surrounding themselves with people of similar traits... then they make wide generalizations based on those traits.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say "all men are selfish" or "all females are passive" and then go on to cite their experiences, while another person goes on to cite their own experiences that support the opposite viewpoint. The whole time it's painfully obvious to me that these people are more compatible with certain traits of the opposite gender and therefore their experiences are biased.

Kinda hard to give a good one off the top my head, so I apologize if it's bad.

"What's up Mike? You ready for the party tonight?"
"Ehh I don't know... I'm feeling pretty tired..."
"Hey it's cool man. You change your mind, text me so I can tell you where it is."
"Ah right, thanks dude!"

Whatever, not gonna force him. He's a man, he can make his own decisions. If he wants to come later, he will. If not, that's fine too.

"Hey Emily! You good for the party tonight?"
"I really don't know, I'm feeling kinda tired....."
"Well that's too bad, because you're coming anyway."
"What?"
"You heard me. You're coming, be ready at 9."
"haha Don't I get a say in this?"
"Make sure you dress sexy too. Something that shows off that ***."
"You're crazy."
"See you tonight."

She didn't make a decision, so I'll make it for her. Women often don't like making decisions, so they'll do anything to avoid it by giving half answers. If she really didn't want to go, she would've just said it. So I'll make it easy for her, be a man, and lead her, even if it means coming off bullish. When you pick her up later that evening, 8 times outta 10, she's gonna be ready anyway. I never take things girls say at face value.
Like this right here. Is it that hard to believe that women who wouldn't take that **** or the guys that would simply don't end up becoming friends with you? Is it so silly to think that your expectations or what you "like" from others is going to effect who you are able to get close with to the point where you see these trends? Do you even try talking like that to guys in the first place?

I've learned over time that you can't easily make generalizations like these because as soon as you do you'll start seeing circles of friends that disprove your viewpoint; and that's something to think about. While there may be certain social norms around you that paint pictures of the genders, there are other social atmospheres that require different kinds of people fill the roles of being the decisions makers or the conquerors or the selfish ones or whatever it is we're debating about today. The point is that anyone can become anything if their environment demands it,which is why I find it hard to take these kinds of things seriously.

MLGF

Smash Lord
This topic has become nothing but social justice warriors who should crawl back to tumblr.
I'm out.

Mischief

Smash Cadet
Wow, this thread is filled with all kinds of stupid. I can't address all the stupid, but I'll try to point out the main things here.

Firstly, making ad hominems of any kind immediately excludes you from any kind of legitimacy in arguments. Arguing and debating are supposed to eliminate bull**** and whittle ideas down to a handful of true facts. The only way this can be done is if both parties address the ideas in front of them rather than turning attention to who "sounds like a rapist" or something dumb like that. If you want to make those comments, go ahead, that's fine, but understand anyone who tries to take the discussion seriously immediately disregards the rest of what you have to say. So if you want to DEBATE rather than just spew **** everywhere and refuse to listen or work off of the ideas presented to you, get rid of the ad hominems. This applies to both sides here.

Secondly, generalizations are not bad things in and of themselves. In fact our entire relationship to the world is built upon generalized attributes. The only reason I can identify a tree as a tree, or a man as a man, or a woman as a woman is because I have a generalized set of attributes within my head with which I can model the world. We should recognize that not all generalizations are perfectly accurate, but that does not mean generalization is a not a useful tool. If I say that Italians like noodles, this is a generalization but it is not an inaccurate one and only a fool would call me out on it; though I'm sure not all Italians eat noodles. If I say Italians are assholes this is another generalization but it is probably not an accurate one. Realize though that the tool, generalization, is not flawed, rather it is the description itself which can be either accurate or inaccurate.

This very much applies to gender discussion because again, conceptions of gender are usually a conglomeration of generalized traits. OF COURSE there are exceptions to any general trait we find, no one is denying that, but this does not mean general patterns do not exist. Our goal then should be to make accurate generalizations, because we will never stop generalizing anyway even if we think we are.

Thirdly, and this is kind of related to the above point, there are two kinds do of sexism: benevolent sexism and malevolent sexism. Sexism involves treating an individual or a group differently on account of their sex or gender. If you stop to think about this for a moment you will realize that humanity has done this since the dawn of time. When you see girls wear skirts and guys wear pants, it's sexism. Separated bathrooms: sexism. All male or all female dormitories or fraternities, well that's also sexism. The thing is no one stirs up an outcry over this kind of stuff because it doesn't actually hurt anyone, it is simply the sexism that goes along naturally when we create human cultures and societies and trying to control it is silly and pointless. This would be benevolent sexism. Tis harmless.

Malevolent sexism comes when you begin to deny people agency, assume power over them, or think less of them as human beings due to their sex. Examples include denying women the right to vote, the draft, strict sexual division of labor (men work, women cook and clean) or different prison sentences for the same crime based off sex. This is the kind of sexism we need to get rid of.

I just find it silly when people say that all sexism is bad, or that our goal should be an entirely gender neutral society. What would that even look like? This is a pointless and unwinnable battle and anyone who's actually interested in practical equality between the sexes should realize this. Be specific about the types of sexism you think are bad and should be removed, because "sexism" is an extremely generalized term and not really useful when used by itself.

Edit: I also think a lot of people like to run their mouths but haven't actually put serious time into thinking about gender norms. It's a very complex subject and it's very prone to onesidedness. In my experience the correct option is usually in between the two main camps, which have useful ideas to contribute but by themselves can be very irrational and emotional to their approach of the subject.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
the fact that people do a thing isn't a valid justification as to why it's okay to do that thing try again please

Jynx

Smash Cadet
I don't know. I mean, I still stand by my point of trash talking. Just make it non gender specific, like really it's not that hard to do. If you told a girl she plays a garbage Falco, and another guy says the same thing, because she is female, the ENTIRE dynamic of the trash talk becomes offensive. Like, that's not hard to understand.

We don't accept racist trash talk, so why do we accept sexist trash talk. It wouldn't be fair to tell someone they're playing terrible because they're a squinty-eyes Asian, it's racist and a terrible thing to say. It you're going to trash talk at least make it about their character's synergy with the person, and stop attacking the person with insults like that?

SunJester

Smash Ace
I'd like more girls to play Smash because it means more fans/players in our community.

I want Smash to be the biggest E-Sport, so lets get on this people.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
But judging from what I've heard, all players in the competitive scene get trash talked until they prove themselves as ready to play with the big dogs, but you just have to ignore it and do what you came to do. Same applies to girls.
Yeah, it's not like if we're welcoming to new players instead the community will grow a lot faster and be able to take advantage of its recent resurgence into the spotlight

wait

NWRL

Smash Ace
I've always treated women Smashers the same as men. Play the match, crush them (or be crushed), trash talk, say GGs and move on to my next bracket match. Anything more or less is doing them a disservice.

In any of these issues I very much would like to know the proper approach. Say some part of the population behaves in one way which is the crux of the problem to some women who want to play. Then, another portion of the population recognizes those who are being problematic and attempts to go out of their way to be less "discriminatory". In many cause though the group trying to not act discriminatory end up illicit more stereotypes of a different kind.

A person does not have to be razzed about who they are, but at the same time a person does not have to be pampered to an extreme either. At least, I would find this very annoying. This is the dichotomy I end up seeing. I am not really certain what the proper methodology is to address this issue. I have seen some people make comments about whether or not this issue is within a P:M or Melee community and it does not matter. How one treats a person in one context probably indicates how you view them in other faucets of your life. Gender issues are not something specific to one game community.

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
I've always treated women Smashers the same as men. Play the match, crush them (or be crushed), trash talk, say GGs and move on to my next bracket match. Anything more or less is doing them a disservice.
Everything turns into some social issue now. I don't care about your gender just play the game.
These, except I don't trash talk when I play XD.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
My personal opinion is that this "problem" should solve it self if we make some general changes here and there.

1. Invite friends you know personally who play smash to train with you. Have fun though and don't take everything so seriously.

2. Invite friends to tournaments you know about and are planning to go to. If they decline tell them you understand and talk to them about how fun it was afterwards.

3. Treat everyone better. Stop being a prick and start respecting players. You don't have to bow down to anyone but you certainly shouldn't be flaming people. If someone asks you politely to refrain from doing something unreasonable then oblige and move on.

4. If possible, hold tournaments in places that are more accessible to everyone. Rec Centers or places that are similar to Dave&Busters are great. I believe the best possible venue is a high school or college but I'm not sure the complications of holding a tournament there.

5. Better yourself. As with sponsoring, we will attract more people of all walks of life if we present ourselves better. I firmly believe that smash has the potential to become the biggest e sport around. In order for that to happen, we need to look good as a unit. In order for us to look good as a unit, we must look good individually. This doesn't mean wear suits to all your tourneys (although that would be classy) but rather clean yourself up and look good if you know you there will be streaming. D1 and Prog are excellent examples of this. I know you have that awesome looking Naruto outfit in your closet but just hold off on wearing that for a house tourney. You can never go wrong with a graphic tee, some jeans and chuck taylors.

Last edited:

homesuck

Smash Rookie
*a lot of stuff*
it's not ad hominem, the poster i was referring to's mentality of not taking women seriously is a huge part of the problem, what person would want to join a community they know they'll be constantly belittled in? women should be taken just as seriously as any guy should and part of the reason our female demographic is near nonexistent is because that isn't the case. as for specifically saying he sounded like a r*pist, it's not an insult, i'm just saying that that mentality is genuinely very dangerous and i've seen plenty of people who felt similarly end up taking it a step too far

blah blah blah homestruck blah blah blah ableism adds little to the conversation blah blah blah whatever
was this meant to be insulting or can you just not read
if it's not okay to say r*pe or gay, why is it okay to say r*tard? sure this topic isn't about mental illness but the issues go hand in hand

In any of these issues I very much would like to know the proper approach
just treat them (women, or anyone who isn't part of the male gaming majority) the same way you'd treat anyone else. they don't play smash to be belittled or discriminated against nor do they play smash for special treatment or pity. if you see someone being a **** you can tell them to stop but treating someone especially well simply because they're not a typical male gamer is unnecessary and usually weird

if yall are too scared of the tumblrpocolypse to remove stuff like r*pe and r*tard from your vocabulary then w/e, just make sure you're treating women/anyone else the same way you'd treat any opponent.
but know that terminology like this will always be a huge barrier to entry for anyone who's not an able-bodied white male gamer, we used to have some girls who would compete in our college level brawl tourneys until they left because they were tired of hearing people say "oooh he got r*ped"

Last edited:

Juken

Smash Ace
I really don't see why there needs to be 3 pages full of walls of text for something so simple.
1) If you can't deal with trash talk, just don't play in a competitive atmosphere. Once you get better, those who trash talked you will respect you.
2) Complaining on the internet about something that happened a long time ago won't do anything.
3) Obviously, harassment and straight up creeping isn't something that should be tolerated, whether they're male or female. Not even sure why this has to be said.
4) There's all kinds of nice people, just like how there's mean or annoying people. If you personally don't enjoy somebody's company, just move on and find someone else who you might have fun playing with.
5) If you want people to respect you as a female, don't take the special treatment that you're offered. And don't mistake "hookups" that someone would do for anyone because they're nice as them being nice to you because you're a girl. That only makes them want to help girls less.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Should we start making male inferiority jokes every time we notice a dude sux?
it might prove a point that no one actually gives a shit so we can stop caring. so yeah sure, let's try it.

If I think men and woman have different roles in a relationship, I'm sexist. If I say men and women have different natural interests, I'm sexist. If I say men and women have different skills and capabilities, I'm sexist.

It's pathetic.
it's the truth though, and you should operate based on your observations.

one might not like reality, but it is still better to operate in a reality you don't like than it is to live in a fantasy world. shit catches up to you sooner or later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
Social justice has a good premise. However, the way that it's handled by those who actually fight for it somehow makes such a positive concept on the same wavelength as nazism. It's insufferably cancerous and clearly handled by like-minded individuals with mental disabilities and sheep that can't think for themselves. I'm honestly glad places like Tumblr exist just to be containment for that garbage.

It's even worse because niche interests such as videogames are mainly targetted when Sports, Movies, Television shows, and other more socially acceptable forms of entertainment so forth hardly get bothered. These places are where established prejudice and the made up on the spot "-isms" runs rapid to an even higher degree than videogames of all things could ever accomplish.

Jarbinks9/11

Banned via Warnings
You're incorrect. Feminism pushes for equality for females, which is something that doesn't exist currently. Like any cause, there is a small and somewhat vocal minority which believes that females must have the upper hand of the power balance in order for men to realize the value of equality, and thus attain equality. that group is a definite minority and they only believe so because they feel that powerful women would result in greater equality eventually.
You are correct, yes there would be, because any time there is inequality there are always efforts to change it, and the fact that women want equality is not a negative trait.
Women are already equal and the only ones who dont believe that are feminists

Stryker

Smash Journeyman
Really guys? This isn't that hard to do right... >.>
Am I the only one too lazy to treat men and women differently in smash? Just destroy whoever steps up, give props if they do something cool, and feel free to throw some lulzy trash talk in otherwise.
If I girl sits down in front of me, she had better be able to fend for herself or I will mercilessly four stock her the same as I will any male scrub. If you are so competitive you should enjoy slaughtering any gendered lamb. And if any gendered scrub doesn't understand that they need to tech in order to get out of combos, I'll probably tell them after especially if they ask.

Edit:
This. Just do this. It's so simple

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
it's not ad hominem, the poster i was referring to's mentality of not taking women seriously is a huge part of the problem, what person would want to join a community they know they'll be constantly belittled in? women should be taken just as seriously as any guy should and part of the reason our female demographic is near nonexistent is because that isn't the case. as for specifically saying he sounded like a r*pist, it's not an insult, i'm just saying that that mentality is genuinely very dangerous and i've seen plenty of people who felt similarly end up taking it a step too far
The "don't take them too seriously" is a watered-down version of the mentality I have because I have no other way to describe it. I still treat them with the same basic respect I give to everyone else. Unless you consider light-hearted teasing as belittling, in which case you should probably get off the computer and see how the sexes interact with each other in real life before donning your white armor and rushing to the rescue.

Women aren't men in skirts. They're not scary, intimidating creatures who will bite your head off should you dare to view them as anything less than ferocious beasts and equals. And if you actually do meet one of those ladies by chance, well they can just go pound sand, because toxic / bitter people like that are obviously not the kind you want to keep around as company anyway.

just treat them (women, or anyone who isn't part of the male gaming majority) the same way you'd treat anyone else. they don't play smash to be belittled or discriminated against nor do they play smash for special treatment or pity. if you see someone being a **** you can tell them to stop but treating someone especially well simply because they're not a typical male gamer is unnecessary and usually weird
Literally explain just this in my first dang post on this thread on the first page. But of course, you attacked me anyway. You're the last stop on the proverbial clue train and have just been content with running your mouth.

The only time you should treat women like you would any man is when you're directly competing with them, or they're an authority figure (teacher, boss, police, judge, your mom, etc). That's it. Outside of that, anyone who says they treat women literally 1:1 exactly the same as they would men, is either lying or delusional.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

nothing says emotional maturity like "i don't want to talk about it" in a condescending manner. if you're not prepared to consider what your peers have to say respectfully, don't get involved in the first place.

Top Bottom