• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oregon Smash Community [OSC] - Oregon's official Smash Community est. 2005

Kefka

Smash Apprentice
Wikipedia, quit being such a goofball. It seems like youre creating arguments with bart out of thin air for absolutely no purpose whatsoever. Barts recent posts have all made clear sense to me.

Judging by the number of players in oregon, anywhere between 3-5 panelists seems like a perfectly sane number, although honestly I dont care about that so much as I wish oregon would man up and reach a mutual conclusion on this ~_~

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Kefka, I love you, but you don't even know what is going on. The whole point of the argument was to discuss how many panel members we should have. According to Bart, at one time (the arguments over now), 5 would in fact be an 'insane' amount of panel members and should not within the 'sane' range of 3-5 that you just suggested.

So, therefore, you have contradicted yourself. You say I just made up an argument when, in fact, you are one to take a side in the argument that you have suggested does not exist.

Also, I presented support for why I thought Timmy's layout was better.

Neither of those two seem to be just pulled out of thin air, as you suggest.

Um, Duke, just wanna point out that my "whining" was in response to the whining done by the twins over my taking initiative and creating the PR thread. I find it ridiculous that all of this happened in the first place when Timmy could easily have contacted me and just said "hey, I wanna take part as a panelist."
Ok, that's perfectly fine, I'm not saying it isn't. I'm just saying don't deny someone else what you fought for by restricting them from becoming a panelist.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
I'll be damned the day taking an analytical approach to things becomes "ridiculous".

*note: omitted part isn't even necessary, the statement still holds*

Honestly, we are all sharing our opinions. Why is my opinion more worthless or ridiculous than others. Just because I provide support for my opinion doesn't make me ridiculous. I was just tired of people making post like, "Vote for Bart's format," and "Foos sucks, he shouldn't be a panelist." I have no clue if Foos is good enough to be a panelist but I find it frustrating when I try to draw a conclusion when no logical support is being provided from either side.

It just seems to me that people are voting with Bart because he is cooler than the twins rather than his reasoning is more sound. I mean, I agree that cmin should be a panelist and so should Bart but I haven't been persuaded as to why Juce should be. He never posts on these forums, he is a great player and he is pretty active but he is lacking on the forum side of things.

jankerrific

Smash Journeyman
its a waste of time answering your questions or debating with you wiki, they serve no purpose and are just getting annoying. you put in your input, now leave your votes and let the people that actually know whats going on take care of this.

once again barts thread was ideal and i agree with every argument he has presented. everything is well thought out and works just fine.

Binx

Smash Master
4 Panelists is fine, also I dont see a ton of people jumping up and saying "I wish I were the fifth panelist *tear*"

Bart's and Timmy's were both perfectly fine, but I think that the system for who is higher on the PR for sure should be based on tournament results not PR matches, although it was a good idea it is just too much trouble, lets say I won 100 PR matches and M2K moved to Oregon, it would take him how many tournaments before he outranked me?

Anyways I think Timmy Bart Jesse and Foos should be our panelists, Fooz goes to more Oregon tournaments than me and although Minh is a great player I dont think he is very good at judging relative skill.

jankerrific

Smash Journeyman
don't quote "being smart" when i sayed "look smart" please
wow good observation hahaha.

anyways just reminding everyone that The Finger Bang is this weekend, dont forget about it with all this PR drama.

and binx minh is fine at judging skill, he is just modest unlike some people and doesnt make claims at being super amazing aznsupastar.

Balloon

Smash Lord
Duke, panelists don't necessarily have to be active on SWF to be an effective panelist. There are other ways of communicating.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Are you saying that the approach of every party presenting support for their opinion is cloaked as looking smart but is actually ridiculous and dumb?

Sorry, but I only wish I could go into my debate tournaments and claim, "continuing social security will lead to thermonuclear war."

Through the method I originally stated we can reach a logical, correct, solution. Logical, correct solutions to problems aren't reached by throwing around unsupported opinions.

EDIT: You are right there, Bart, I didn't think about just calling Juce to tell him about any group chats or whatever. I kind of assumed all the communication would be done over the forum. But that's fine because I think Juce would make a great panelist.

Balloon

Smash Lord
Why would you wish you could go into your debate tournaments able to make arguments like that? That would make it absolutely no fun.

Of course, politics aren't supposed to be fun.

Balloon

Smash Lord
4 Panelists is fine, also I dont see a ton of people jumping up and saying "I wish I were the fifth panelist *tear*"

Bart's and Timmy's were both perfectly fine, but I think that the system for who is higher on the PR for sure should be based on tournament results not PR matches, although it was a good idea it is just too much trouble, lets say I won 100 PR matches and M2K moved to Oregon, it would take him how many tournaments before he outranked me?

Anyways I think Timmy Bart Jesse and Foos should be our panelists, Fooz goes to more Oregon tournaments than me and although Minh is a great player I dont think he is very good at judging relative skill.
I've actually always admired Minh's ability to see relative skill levels and styles. I've never known Foos to be good at such a thing. Not to say that he isn't good at it, I'm just saying that Minh is the person I've known to make comments about players and their abilities that are almost always spot on.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
Yeah Minh is damn good at that. Also foos going to more tournaments than you - you, who are not being considered for a panelist - is irrelevant.

Binx

Smash Master
I've actually always admired Minh's ability to see relative skill levels and styles. I've never known Foos to be good at such a thing. Not to say that he isn't good at it, I'm just saying that Minh is the person I've known to make comments about players and their abilities that are almost always spot on.
Maybe its just his own skill he can't judge, he thinks he is a lot worse than he is. Or maybe I am horrible at it then, oh wells hahaha. No probs with Minh being a panelist, and honestly I dont know foosie that well, although Foos would insure a lot more "your mom" jokes for Oregon, which can't be a bad thing.

As for me being not being considered as a panelist, I was on the list the first time we were discussing this a few months ago when I was actually interested in doing it, is why I mentioned it that way.

cmin

Smash Ace
Binx, I can tell you whos better than who and how people play pretty **** well. I just dont like to compare them to me because i dont like to say i'm better than someone. Good thing there are more than 1 panelists to cover me for that. But I can recognize skill and potential when i see it, i notice subtle mindgames that you dont, I can say this, i'm a better player than you and i see these things better than you. So just leave at that thanks

It matters not if we have 4 or 5 PR Duke, If you have ever taken place in a PR discussion, you would know that we dont vote on whos best, we discuss it like Bart said. We talk things through and we agree. It basically always turns out to be an agreement at the end of the discussion instead of a vote like a Jury. Its never a problem to figure out who places where so long as we just sit down and discuss it. You seem quite dramatic over Bart's 4 panelist, and your idea of 5 panelists which seems to take up most of this thread. Me, Bart, Jesse, and Timmy would be fine as far as panelists go. ALso, it seems that us 4 are most active and can contact each other very easily making it quite convenient. We are also great canidates for PR because we are able to travel to every tournament there is, whereas Foos has a hard time getting around.

My votes for Panelists : Balloon, Cmin, Juce, T!mmy.
admin: I really think this is quite insignificant as far as for the better of our state. SO Bart and Timmy get on aim and just discuss this. Its ridiculous to vote for this.

Binx

Smash Master
Minh I never said you weren't better, and every time I hear you talk about someone you say they are better than you and it's rarely true, so that's all I had to go by. Thats why I made that comment. So yeah we have the 4 panelists decided then, so why not just reopen bart's.

Kenpachi

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys,

Here's another count, all updated and stuff.

Format:
bart-8
timmy-5

Admin:
bart-1
timmy-1

Panelists
bart-11
juce-10
cmin-10
timmy-9
tommy-3
foos-2
tudios-1
kenpachi-1

Number of panelists <based on how many votes were given>
ONE-1
TWO-1
FOUR-9
SIX-1

Everything is in order of votes, so as you all can see, everything but the admin position is clear cut. If thats being worked out between bart and timmy, then we definitely have clear results for the moderators. (despite some interesting conversations on logic along the way).

---------------------

After some changes, the format votes are getting closer... anyone else have extra input?

---------------------

Change made to account for the fact that Tudios did not actually vote...

---------------------

Hope this helps,

Kenpachi

Eggz

Smash Hero
Theres a few uncounted votes for Timmy's format.

Me
Timmy
Tommy
Wikipedia

EDIT: Apparently Shin and Tudios agree with Timmy's format as well.

Kenpachi

Smash Apprentice
Eggz,

I added the votes. The count did not go up by six because you and tommy were already accounted for. When reading Timmy's posts, he said he would abstain from voting for himself for admin and I guess I copy-pased that for his format vote too. The uncounted votes were added and now its 8-6 in favor of Bart.

If anyone else has some extra input to put in, get it here so that this can be sent to a moderator soon!

Thanks and Regards,

Kenpachi

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
Well I want Bart, Jesse, Minh, and T!mmy to be the PR people.
Admin-I don't really care about.
For the format I would like to vote for Barts since that was the one I was first attracted too.

So yeah anyone have an idea when our PR list will be up and what will it be out of I think it should be the top 15

We should also really update the front thing for this page. Ryan and I aren't even on it, nor is the teams of The Celestial Princesses and Knee Sex! isn't on there.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
It's been brought to my attention that a lot of people didn't even see my PR format thread. I put a lot of time and thought into it, so I'm going to post it here:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Oregon Power Rankings

The smash scene in Oregon has grown enough to warrant a full PR List. I want to see this done correctly so we can contribute to the community and provide information that other states can access. As such I'm asking for help from Oregon players active on these forums to provide intelligent discussion, valued opinions, and other assistance in accordance to the Regional/State Power Rankings Regulations.

Important Notice:
Any inclusion of off-topic, "flaming", "spam", or otherwise non-proactive posts will be flagged and reported to a moderator.
Discussion of this thread should be done in the OSM topic, not here.
Since the PR List is under development, we must establish the foundations:

1. Administrator
  2. Panelists (3)
  3. Mission Statement
  4. PR Criteria
1. Administrator
I hereby establish myself as Regional Administrator/Sponsor of the Oregon Power Rankings through the creation and maintenance of this thread. I fulfill all requirements having run Oregon state tournaments for approximately 2 years and helped coordinate and/or run a number of others, am an active participant in tournaments both in state and out-of-state, and am knowledgeable of both game and community.

2. Panelists
As per Regional/State PR Regulations, we are required to have a minimum of three (3) panelists. Volunteers for this position are currently open to anyone with knowledge and experience of SSB who are currently residing in the state of Oregon. Panelists will be chosen by general acceptance of the Oregon Smash Community, and, if necessary, by majority vote.

3. Mission Statement
I have provided a Mission Statement. Any addendum or amendment is up for discussion within this thread and is subject to approval by Panelists and Regional Administrator.

4. PR Criteria
A preliminary criteria for placement within the Power Ranking is included in the Mission Statement. Changes and additions are up for discussion within this thread and is subject to approval by Panelists and Regional Administrator.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Mission Statement
The goal of the Oregon Power Ranking is to provide an accurate summary of the rankings of individual Smash players in the state of Oregon based on talent, expertise, and performance. The list will give insight to players in other states, help top players garner reputation, and motivate the competitive spirit within Oregon. Panelists will be chosen based on knowledge of players, tournaments, and the game itself.

Administrator - t!MmY

Panelists (minimum 3)
  1. Position Currently Open
  2. Position Currently Open
  3. Position Currently Open
Power Rankings will be posted after Panelists have been chosen and rankings have been decided.
  1. n/a
  2. n/a
  3. n/a
  4. n/a
  5. n/a
  6. n/a
  7. n/a
  8. n/a
  9. n/a
  10. n/a

DMStudios

Smash Journeyman
I didn't vote for either PR list looking thing. The trees were cute, but other than that, having it professional looking would be good for it. I could go either way.

Balloon

Smash Lord
Kenpachi, do you have AIM?

Anyway, Kenpachi, if you counted Tudios' supposed vote now would be the time to take that off.

Also, since apparently now is the time to blatantly promote our different formats, I suppose I'll link to mine since the thread is locked. Please consider the large amount of time that Ronin put into making the banner for the top of the page.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=124600

There it is, awesome picture that Ronin made and all. How very nice it is indeed: straightforward and to the point. Yes sir-ree, I reckon that there format would be a mighty fine one for an Oregon PR ranking list thread of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Of course, changes could easily be made to the colors if they're too hurtful on the eyes or what have you (remember the disclaimer at the bottom wouldn't be there once it wasn't needed anymore). It's not all stuffed up and, as Digital Watches put it I believe, it isn't "far too tl;dr".

One more thing: why does Shane's vote count? XD

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
It's been brought to my attention that a lot of people didn't even see my PR format thread. I put a lot of time and thought into it, so I'm going to post it here:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Oregon Power Rankings

The smash scene in Oregon has grown enough to warrant a full PR List. I want to see this done correctly so we can contribute to the community and provide information that other states can access. As such I'm asking for help from Oregon players active on these forums to provide intelligent discussion, valued opinions, and other assistance in accordance to the Regional/State Power Rankings Regulations.

Important Notice:
Any inclusion of off-topic, "flaming", "spam", or otherwise non-proactive posts will be flagged and reported to a moderator.
Discussion of this thread should be done in the OSM topic, not here.
Since the PR List is under development, we must establish the foundations:

1. Administrator
  2. Panelists (3)
  3. Mission Statement
  4. PR Criteria
1. Administrator
I hereby establish myself as Regional Administrator/Sponsor of the Oregon Power Rankings through the creation and maintenance of this thread. I fulfill all requirements having run Oregon state tournaments for approximately 2 years and helped coordinate and/or run a number of others, am an active participant in tournaments both in state and out-of-state, and am knowledgeable of both game and community.

2. Panelists
As per Regional/State PR Regulations, we are required to have a minimum of three (3) panelists. Volunteers for this position are currently open to anyone with knowledge and experience of SSB who are currently residing in the state of Oregon. Panelists will be chosen by general acceptance of the Oregon Smash Community, and, if necessary, by majority vote.

3. Mission Statement
I have provided a Mission Statement. Any addendum or amendment is up for discussion within this thread and is subject to approval by Panelists and Regional Administrator.

4. PR Criteria
A preliminary criteria for placement within the Power Ranking is included in the Mission Statement. Changes and additions are up for discussion within this thread and is subject to approval by Panelists and Regional Administrator.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Mission Statement
The goal of the Oregon Power Ranking is to provide an accurate summary of the rankings of individual Smash players in the state of Oregon based on talent, expertise, and performance. The list will give insight to players in other states, help top players garner reputation, and motivate the competitive spirit within Oregon. Panelists will be chosen based on knowledge of players, tournaments, and the game itself.

Administrator - t!MmY

Panelists (minimum 3)
  1. Position Currently Open
  2. Position Currently Open
  3. Position Currently Open
Power Rankings will be posted after Panelists have been chosen and rankings have been decided.
  1. n/a
  2. n/a
  3. n/a
  4. n/a
  5. n/a
  6. n/a
  7. n/a
  8. n/a
  9. n/a
  10. n/a
No offense, timmy, but this is looking more and more like it's a matter of ego rather than pragmatism for you.

knuttz45

Smash Ace
Again, Great Job T!mmy. It is a great outline for what power rankings need to be for a state. All you need is the gaps to be filled, and the outline to be modified to mold to your state perfectly. (And Hopefully Idaho molds it to their own.)
And in the end...you can always make it more colorful, and add some pics... :)

Ronin686

Smash Ace
Again, Great Job Bart. It is a great outline for what power rankings need to be for a state. All you need is the gaps to be filled, and the outline to be modified to mold to your state perfectly.
And in the end...you can always make it more colorful, and add some pics... owait, looks like it is colorful and has pics already.

Kenpachi

Smash Apprentice
I fixed the numbers. er, number. Someone mentioned Tudios and added a ghost vote for Timmy's format. So, i took one off to account for what Tudios himself just posted.

Bart, I'll PM you my IM screen name. I will try to be online... but you will just have to leave me a series of messages. I have a paper due today (tuesday), a statics midterm for wednesday (with fluid dynamics homework due the same day), a thermodynamics midterm on thursday and a fluid dynamics midterm on friday (with thermodynamics homework due then...).

GOOD FUN!

So I'll try to get back to you when i can, but this week owns.

~Kenpachi

knuttz45

Smash Ace
Again, Great Job Bart. It is a great outline for what power rankings need to be for a state. All you need is the gaps to be filled, and the outline to be modified to mold to your state perfectly.
And in the end...you can always make it more colorful, and add some pics... owait, looks like it is colorful and has pics already.
Funny guy...:dizzy:...just don't forget to add desert for east oregon...

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I'm alarmed at the number of people who think that this Power Rankings discussion is some sort of publicity stunt. Shin, Bart, Eggz, and now Digital Watches have all made comments recently and abruptly about me either on AIM, on these boards, or in person about being a control freak, wanting attention, and even being a "tyrant". This is the complete opposite of my personality, and you - everyone in Oregon who've met me - know this.

I want you guys to know that I'm doing exactly what I should be doing for everyone in Oregon: voicing my opinion on the PR List, trying to work things out with Bart, and being as agreeable and helpful as I can. Everything should have been worked out by now, but there is an obvious problem.

Bart told me he wants to be administrator. That's fine. He wants to be panelist, I agreed with that too. He said he wanted more attention and something to do on these boards. Fine. But what happens when I, also, contribute to the quality of the PR? It somehow becomes Me vs. Bart, and that's not cool.

Now, I want to tell everyone that yes, I do have a problem with Bart's thread, not with Bart himself, and not with the rankings. The problem I have with it is that the panelists were put together without involving the rest of the community and the criteria for the Mission Statement and standings are lacking.

Bart, I am disappointed with how you have chosen to work out things with me, even though I am trying very hard to please you. We had things worked out in person, but now we have to go through this weighty voting process rather than use the best of each other's ideas. The PR List should be about communication and community; it should be about quality and helping others.

Due to the recent - and ridiculous - ideas of me being some sort of manipulative glory hound, I have come to the decision that actions speak greater than words. I'm walking away from this publicity stunt - I have full confidence in Oregon's abilities to get together and discuss everything without votes, flames, and arguments.

You get what you want Bart: thread admin, panelist, and the attention you expressedly desired. I'm stepping out of the discussion until the community, as a whole, decides what they want. If you want to contact me, please don't bother posting here - leave this thread open for everyone to focus on working out the PR criteria. I'd prefer to talk to you one-on-one and not have to worry about anyone flaunting in front of an audience. You can AIM me, except that my computer has been crashing a lot recently, and a phone call or talking face-to-face would be preferable anyway.

Bart, please keep in mind I'm not angry in any way, just currently dismayed at how things are going. I'm still willing to talk with you, and any other prospective panelists, so as to contribute to this project and help the smash community grow and improve. You're cool, you're a great smasher, I respect you as much as any other player out there and I can see from your side of things fairly well, so don't hesitate in contacting me.

PitchD

Smash Apprentice
Idaho and Oregon need to have a crew battle soon.
I am eagerly awaiting to see what you guys can do.
Do yall run a 4 or 5 man crew?

-QraQ

joshisrad

Smash Lord
Dude, you made a thread to get his locked. The only problem you had with his panelists is that it wasn't discussed with all of Oregon, and that is obviously not cool, but now it's taken care of and it's the exact same with the addition of you. And since the majority is voting for his style and all.. conceding seems natural. In any case, I assume you guys have a conclusion to tell Neal.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Idaho and Oregon need to have a crew battle soon.
I am eagerly awaiting to see what you guys can do.
Do yall run a 4 or 5 man crew?

-QraQ
This sounds like a cool idea. We'd probably go with a five-man crew if only to include more players. We should set something like this up for the next big tournament.

Josh, I never intended to have Bart's thread locked, never asked for it to be locked, and never took gratification that it was locked. That was Neal's decision, as he would testify if you want to ask.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
Without any accusing tone, then: what were you thinking when you made the third PR list topic?

Top Bottom