• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oregon PR! updated 10/17/2014

Binx

Smash Master
With what I am talking about you just replace the fsmash that you trained with a nair once you know a nair is better, you just decide hey in that spot im gonna nair from now what, or maybe you decide you would rather shine in the spot, or maybe fair shine in that spot.

You have to have enough experience to test and decide the best stuff, obviously this doesn't work for everything, like approaches cause if you approach the same way all the time you will lose. But it does work really well for lots of things, you have to at least subconsciously notice your opponent DIing things better if they know whats coming an keep them guessing, but for the most part you can improve a lot by just knowing the right answer and reacting.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Something I really like that you (Wad) do is you really seem to know and appreciate your angle for recovering. Whenever given the opportunity, everyone with something like Firefox, Firebird, Quick Attack, Vanish, Farore's wind, etc. should abuse that they can get a sweetspot instead of going straight at it or recovering high.
And when I do miss with my recovery, I vocalize it to make everybody think I know what I'm talking about. Seriously though, going for the sweetspot is more important when you have landing lag, which makes landing recovery less of an issue with fox and falco.

I practice in training mode, in order to watch the combo counter, so I know what followups work and what don't. I don't get much DI practice that way, but that's okay.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
I've found reactionary playing to be the best.
I totally agree with this... But this is why you told me weeks ago, you thought I play like a jerk... I did this 100% around when we were arguing and before then. Now that I have started to catch up with the technical game, I do this less, and it is hard to force myself to do this when I can try to style on some fool, and as a result, I actually have a harder time now.

everything else you said is good.

keeper

Smash Champion
I totally agree with this... But this is why you told me weeks ago, you thought I play like a jerk... I did this 100% around when we were arguing and before then. Now that I have started to catch up with the technical game, I do this less, and it is hard to force myself to do this when I can try to style on some fool, and as a result, I actually have a harder time now.

everything else you said is good.
I don't know. I guess I just really hate Fox. I hate being forced to approach too.

Binx

Smash Master
Fox and Falco are such scary characters because of how drastically and quickly they can completely shift how they want to play the match, they can be insanely aggressive or campy at any moment with most combinations of the two styles still being at least somewhat effective.

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/BinxyBrown/Smash/

Here is a link for some sample pictures for the next PR, I am gonna have people's mains behind their names, not sure about the main background but it will be in the style of gage's / timmy's but smash related.

Feel free to find a background you like and resize it to 160x160 pixels for me and I can use that for yours. Just make sure its at least smash related if not character related.

keeper

Smash Champion
I searched "Sheik loz" on google and got hentai, generic Sheik pictures, and a lot of middle eastern sheikahs. If the dark/evil Sheik thing is mine, the only better I could do would be a screen cap from the game.

Binx

Smash Master
Yeah keeper I was likely gonna have yours be dark sheik unless I found another pic that grooved with the overall better, but I think it will all be so random it wont matter

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I actually used to main Ness.
I remember that. XD

This is kinda random, but do people play teams in Smash64?
Of course! After playing a good amount of Doubles in SSB lately I have to say it's the most fun to play teams of the three Smash games.

It's rare to find SSB doubles at tournaments though (usually it's Singles only) but I think there might be a SSB Doubles tournament at the pre-Big City Gamin' event in February!

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
So, I think a bunch of **** needs to be addressed, and possibly changed, both in light of what has happened in the last "grading" period or whatever you wanna call it, and what happened today.

First off, some people were talking, and the panel being in a private forum needs to go. Even people on the panel think it should be made public. If we are going to remain having a panel, then I think there is nothing wrong with public discussion from the entire community.

Ultimately, I think that the panel should be done away with though. The whole making a top 10 list, and averaging it seems really dumb. I think the efforts could easily be made by the entire Oregon community, and we could come out with an ultimately better result, that more people feel compelled to except.

I think after the last best bout of each period, for a week everyone should get to discuss what they think the PR for that period should be, and at the end of that week, discussion ends, and we have a new list. If a largely unanimous decision can't be reached in the week, then I think we should have someone kinda like a "president" or chair person, that just cuts the discussion off, and they post the list, and that is the list until next time. No one is ultimately going to always be happy with the lists, people still aren't now, but I think some kinda consensus can be reached... Most of us aren't kids... Any more. I think keeper might be the youngest ACTUAL melee player (Jedi Noah doesn't count), and he makes some of the most articulate posts anyway, so I don't think being concerned with people acting immature should be an issue.

The problem with the panel, is 3/5 of the panel are regularly at tournaments. It seemed like a good panel original, but Jesse and Foos have been the only consistent participants in the last few months really. It makes creating an accurate list kinda impossible for the remaining 3 members, 2 of which have attended 1 of the last 3 tournaments, and one which has attended 0 (or at least the singles Portion, Gage did enter teams with The Prime back in November).

I saw some of the new lists when I was at Jesse's recently, and thought they were pretty stupid considering all things. I figured I would give it until todays Best Bout, to see if they possibly would stand up though, and I was just being wrong. However again, a large amount of people didn't show up, and especially those that are supposed to be making the "informed" decisions didn't.

If the panel is going to stay, at the very least, if what Gage says about himself is true, and given his attendance, nothing against him, he is a fun dude, but he should be off the panel. Also Binx and Allen's judgement for this cycle seems questionable as well, considering their attendance. This is nothing against anyone, just if we are gonna actually do this PR thing, I think we should do it right, and not make it some big joke.

After today, and the last 3 tournaments, I think that the lists people had previously made don't really hold up. Just for consideration, I have made a list of what I think seems the most legitimate in my opinion, after the last 3 tournaments.

1) Jesse
- This one is a no brainer really. Jesse goes hard. When he is playing his best, he is easily better than almost everyone on this list, and plays extremely well against top players from WA as well. Jesse is basically a best when he feels like showing up to play, and there is no question he is the best person in Oregon really. He has been at 2/3 of the last Oregon tournaments, and has gone to Game Clucks the last two months and performed very well. There isn't a lot bad about Jesse other than his consistency and motivation to perform well. If it seems like it might even be an off day, then he just chooses to loose, and that really sucks. Overall, he is a really good player.

2) Eggz
- With Gage not showing up to singles in the last 3 months, and declaring himself that he no longer wants to play, it seems obvious Shane takes his spot. Shane wasn't considered on any of the previous lists people made for this update, but he also wasn't living in Oregon. He is now though. It seems crazy for someone to enter so high on the PR, and normally that is something that should be avoided. However, Shane has been coming down here consistently and out performing all of us. Just because he wasn't a resident of our state at those times, doesn't mean he shouldn't be considered, if he is going to now be a regular in the Oregon community. Really the only thing keeping him from being #1 in my eyes, is it is his debut on our PR, and his Performance today at Best Bout wasn't his best. Shane is still obviously an incredible player, but he didn't show up and put in the work, or expect that he was going to have to today, and got 2 because of it (Text doesn't clarify the sarcasm, that this last part is for the lawls... Sorry, the main issue is it is a huge jump for first time on PR.).

3 & 4) Jonny/Rating

- This ranking is probably pretty skeptical for a lot of people, because I am making the post, but due to the previous players occupying these spots not showing up since November, it is kinda hard to gauge if their positioning is warranted. Today's Best Bout would have been the most ideal time for them to come, with the lack of WA players coming down, so we could have seen how Oregon does against Oregon, but that didn't happen.

- Jonny has been performing pretty consistently, and although people constantly complain about the way he plays Falcon, he has been showing up, and doing work. I put myself and him as either 3 or 4, because to me it doesn't matter ultimately. He has beat me 2/3 of the last times we have played, but I have performed better against players who are ranked higher than both of us recently. Which ever of these you want to weigh higher, it doesn't matter. Jonny also performed exceptionally well today at Best Bout, and even though I hate to take into account their validity, for those that haven't been coming to the tournaments but are there Wednesdays, he out performed all of you then also.

- I have continued to improve, just like all of us have, and recently took Winners finals from Jesse at Game Clucks, I assume beating who most people in their new lists I saw at Jesse's, in one of the 3 most hype sets of a tournament should count for something. Also mine and Jesse's tournament matches today were crazy close. I did lose to Jonny today, and last time we played, which is why I would lean toward putting myself probably at 4 instead of 3, but it still is a toss up perhaps.

5) Foos
- HOLY ****... So I know one of the biggest parts of being GOOD is consistency, but Foos brought his ****ing game today. Foos on most lists I saw was on the verge of being removed from the PR for this cycle. Foos game through and defeated both Jesse in losers finals, and Shane in Grand Finals to win the tournament. He also beat Jonny who I nominate for a higher spot on the PR than Foos, do to general consistency and performance at tournaments. I have seen Foos beat everyone except a few people that were listed higher than him previously, and the work he put in today, in conjunction with peoples lack of attendance, I think justifies his placing at #5. If things continue like today though, I have no problems seeing him in the top 3 soon, with the improvements he has been making.

6) Minh
- Obviously a good player, and was ranked considerably higher on the last list. Perhaps still is even though good, but the lack of attendance makes it hard to judge. People have been putting in a ton of work lately, and those people have been showing up, and showing the work they have put it. This very well could be the case for Minh also, but I haven't got to see him play in a tournament since November. Ultimately the ranking of #6 isn't because I think other people have definitively gotten better than him, or he has comparatively gotten worse, but that we just don't know. A lot happens in a few months. A respectable #6 seems good, given the work he has been known to put in, in past endeavors. Minh did really well at the November Best Bout, but hasn't been back since. While the rest of us have been showing up and doing work, we have nothing to go off of since then for him. I see no reason why Minh can't move back up to around where he was previously in the next update, if he shows up semi consistently, and performs the same as he was previously. To reiterate again, his drop isn't because he did anything wrong, or people necessarily got better, but that we don't have results to justify him being where he was before.

7) Binx
- Pretty much the same as Minh. He comes on Wednesday's a lot, but I like to factor in the credibility of those events slightly less than real tournament play. Also from what I have observed the last few Wednesday's a lot of players have been putting in hella work against Binx, and he loses match ups I don't think he expects to (see Ryan last wednesday). Again, same thing applies here with Binx as Minh; Binx did really well back in November, but he hasn't shown up since then as well. His drop isn't because he is bad, or people got way better, but that we don't have results to justify him being where he was before. People are performing like Ballers, and Binx hasn't been there to stop them, if he still can.

8) Keeper
- Keeper is a solid player. He has lack of attendance working against him for this update I think. I have noticed a lot of improvements in his edge game, and recovery, but he still generally finishes the same in the pack, and recently has lost to people that previously ranked below him.

9) AlienAllen
-It might seem weird for me to move Allen up, when I was complaining about attendance, and then move Binx and Minh down for it. I did this mostly because the previous #9 has the same problem working against him as Allen, Binx and Minh, but also in his one time out in the last 3 months didn't perform as well as Allen. I don't live in, or play with the Corvallis people often, so I might be totally off base with this, but again, I am basin most of this on bigger tournament results and who people play in bigger tournaments. Bigger meaning our monthlies that the majority of our community attends, or should be attending.

10) Ryan/TheCatPhysician
-Either of these dudes works for me. Ryan has come out of nowhere, and is absolutely crushing it. If he can calm down a little, with his puff ball, he is going to move up this thing really fast.
-Cat isn't my other pick because of homie status, he generally does pretty well, is a good player, really smart, often under performs and loses random match ups to players less skilled then him. He also beats this same players. His problem is consistency, and it would seem playing under pressure.
-If I had to lean one way or the other, I would go with Ryan probably, but I had a hard time giving this a definitive person.

These are all my opinions on what I have observed from Nov 20th - Jan 20th. I would like to see what everyone else thinks.

JonnyW

Smash Ace
Who complains about my falcon? :(

I agree with most things in Ratkings post. Brick is also a good choice for 10th. Hes so up and coming its funny. He's motivated and has gotten better extremely fast. More than I can say about a lot of people.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
always calling me out in every one of your big posts, Kyle haha.

We just shouldn't include Shane until one more tournament. Usually one tournament isn't a good enough basis to put someone on a PR. It's silly not to have Shane as number 1 since he's clearly number 1, but this way just makes it, so it's not like anyone can just come in and get on after one tournament. Even though Jesse was telling me that I should probably still be on the panel, since I'm probably the most unbiased person on the panel. I'm really thinking I should be taken off. Since I haven't been to any tournaments really. All I can do is look at the flat results and not the matches themselves.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
always calling me out in every one of your big posts, Kyle haha.

We just shouldn't include Shane until one more tournament. Usually one tournament isn't a good enough basis to put someone on a PR. It's silly not to have Shane as number 1 since he's clearly number 1, but this way just makes it, so it's not like anyone can just come in and get on after one tournament. Even though Jesse was telling me that I should probably still be on the panel, since I'm probably the most unbiased person on the panel. I'm really thinking I should be taken off. Since I haven't been to any tournaments really. All I can do is look at the flat results and not the matches themselves.
Yeah, not meant to be a "call out" just if people are going to decide stuff, they should be there. Obviously you agree. Also, I think putting him there after just 1 tournament is silly as well, I only justified it with how much cross over there his been between WA and OR in the last several months. If any other super hype player strolled in and did well, I don't think I'd be so quick to put them on. Also why I put him at #2 instead of #1.

I wouldn't be opposed to waiting for another tournament to do the PR. I just recalled people wanting an update now or something, and if it is going to be updated now, then with the results and performances we have from nov-jan, this is what I would do. I also put shane there because I thought people wanted another update now. Waiting 3 more months to put an obviously awesome player on seemed dumb also.

Also, please express opinions on paneless PR?
And yes, I thought you should be on the panel for the same reasons as Jesse, no doubt. That's why I thought Foos was a good candidate as well. However the way things have been going, the panel is kinda a joke. In theory real good idea, in practice in this case, not panning out too good.

Binx

Smash Master
I was sick last wed and I've been re-evaluating my style, I've beaten you in every tournament we've played, I've beaten jonny in I think exactly half the tournament matches we've played, including once the last one he beat me in losers, I knocked him into losers. I love Foos and I think he is really good, but I also 3-0'd him the week before last, and 3-1'd the next week then 2-0'd last time I played him. Jesse lost to Ryan last wed too, I don't really know the puff matchup and I played alternate characters and just lost to dumb jiggs ****. He's improving really fast but thats my personal worst matchup, I should have played my main I prolly coulda won.

Me and minh go even, I've played you and I've played minh, he's WAY better than you are, it isn't even close.

Shane is easily number 1
Jesse is probably number 2
Gage is probably number 3 whether he plays or not, its fine to remove him from the list but whatever.
then it's me and minh in whatever order, then whoever else is in oregon. The top 5 is really easy, I like you kyle but your opinion of the PR is pretty wrong.

FoosJr

Smash Ace
K I have to step in here, was gonna wait til I got home and got some sleep to post stuff but I feel now is a good time. I have to say I'm starting to like the idea of a paneless pr, it gives everyone the opportunity to voice their opinion and people who aren't a part of the panel such as keeper and ratking (imo) they both have a pretty good understanding of everyone's ability. Not gonna lie I think minh vs ratking would be really close the whole basis of putting ratking lower than minh is going off the weeklys which I thought we said wouldn't be taken into account, if people aren't going to come to tournaments they should receive a penalty in placement. I say this because people that are going are going to improve while the people that don't go generally stay at the same skill so if they don't go, assume that some has passed their skill level even if they would seem even on paper place the person who is coming to tournaments more higher. With that being said my only concern about having an open topic discussion is people that won't understand why people are being moved around but it seems that everyone has either stayed at the same skill or improved at the same rate. (I'm gonna go back over this tomorrow and try to explain things better I'm just super tired right now and felt like I shoul throw in some of my thoughts on the subject)

:phone:

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
I was at Best Bout 5 and 6, I just didn't make it to this one because I had other plans for my birthday.

Anyway, I want to post my opinion on this subject.

Eggz
Juce
Gage
Minh
Binx
Ratking
Keeper
Jonny
Foos/Alien/Bird

Unless Foos improved dramatically I would say he is about the same level as Paul and I. Keeper is slightly better than the 3 of us and about the same level as Jonny. Above that I think the rankings are pretty clear.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
Shane is easily number 1
Gage is probably number 3 whether he plays or not, its fine to remove him from the list but whatever.
then it's me and minh in whatever order, then whoever else is in oregon. The top 5 is really easy, I like you kyle but your opinion of the PR is pretty wrong.
Hey now, don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be the Bart or Tommy or whoever it was in that joke of the previous Oregon PR thread.

My main point really is about the open PR thread, or at an paneless community based one. I think there are a bunch of flaws with the panel version, that don't stem just from the fact that it is determined by a set 5 people. My main point is with attendance. It is hard to make informed opinions if people aren't always showing up to do so.

In regards to my list, I stand by it for sure to some degree. It is also just an example of what **** should be like. You don't like my opinion, fair. Perhaps then you respond to the points more, and then we work through why you are right or wrong or whatever. You can't say every ounce of what I said is off base though, so maybe valid points are taken and furthered by someone else, who gets rid of the bad ones and makes better ones... It generates discussion. That is good.

I don't think you and Minh are bad, I know you guys are good. All I am saying is that I think people showing up to claim their goodness plays a roll in forming my opinions. I haven't really played either of you in awhile. You always play some bad secondary in friendlies, and the 2 or 3 matches I got with Minh on Wednesday was the first time in forever. This definitely contributed to the judgements I made on stuff. That is why I am in favor of it being open discussion though. I think seems at least a little productive. I mean if 2 or 3 thirds of the panel doesn't see stuff other than results, or are actively playing the people, It also makes it hard to make accurate judgements. At the very least having input to consider would help if you haven't witnessed it yourself. At that rate, it's like saying "pics or it didn't happen" I feel like almost.

Also, today no joke, certain people were going off hard, and it definitely influenced my opinions to some degree. There were a lot of surprises, but top 3 (at the tournament) were kinda ballin' most of the day. And those were at least 2 people that I know have been doing a lot of work.

Also my opinions on attendance in regards to the judgements I am making are admittedly a little weird in some regards. The last time everyone showed up in November, was the last time we had a pretty awesome tournament. It is fun when it is bigger. So I guess people having incentive to come and show they are keeping up, is a big thing for me.

keeper

Smash Champion
Also, taking Bird off completely? I feel like he deserves a place.
Agreed. The guy is super good. I think it's only because we haven't seen him or Allen recently, but that doesn't mean either of them got worse. I'd like to see Paul play against Jordan.

I was sick last wed and I've been re-evaluating my style, I've beaten you in every tournament we've played, I've beaten jonny in I think exactly half the tournament matches we've played, including once the last one he beat me in losers, I knocked him into losers. I love Foos and I think he is really good, but I also 3-0'd him the week before last, and 3-1'd the next week then 2-0'd last time I played him. Jesse lost to Ryan last wed too, I don't really know the puff matchup and I played alternate characters and just lost to dumb jiggs ****. He's improving really fast but thats my personal worst matchup, I should have played my main I prolly coulda won.

Me and minh go even, I've played you and I've played minh, he's WAY better than you are, it isn't even close.

Shane is easily number 1
If you're going to put it like that: Today was my first EVER loss to Foos and the guy ended up taking first place, I've never lost a set to Jonny (albeit there's only been two), and I've never lost a set to you.
If you're going to put it like that, part 2: Why don't we put James and Bart on the PR based on how good we think/know they are? Maybe not a valid thing to nitpick with, but I feel the idea is coherent enough to use in this situation.

Yeah, not meant to be a "call out" just if people are going to decide stuff, they should be there. Obviously you agree. Also, I think putting him there after just 1 tournament is silly as well, I only justified it with how much cross over there his been between WA and OR in the last several months. If any other super hype player strolled in and did well, I don't think I'd be so quick to put them on. Also why I put him at #2 instead of #1.

I wouldn't be opposed to waiting for another tournament to do the PR. I just recalled people wanting an update now or something, and if it is going to be updated now, then with the results and performances we have from nov-jan, this is what I would do. I also put shane there because I thought people wanted another update now. Waiting 3 more months to put an obviously awesome player on seemed dumb also.

Also, please express opinions on paneless PR?
And yes, I thought you should be on the panel for the same reasons as Jesse, no doubt. That's why I thought Foos was a good candidate as well. However the way things have been going, the panel is kinda a joke. In theory real good idea, in practice in this case, not panning out too good.
Shane has been consistently attending Oregon events since like 2007. I don't see why it's any sort of "shock" for him to come down here. I'm not so much addressing your post, but mostly the whole issue of him being so high in a manner that seems sudden. Shane is obviously good, especially when he hasn't been drinking or dealing with personal ****. I think Jesse would even agree that Shane is better than him or at least consistently beats him.

Who complains about my falcon? :(

I agree with most things in Ratkings post. Brick is also a good choice for 10th. Hes so up and coming its funny. He's motivated and has gotten better extremely fast. More than I can say about a lot of people.
I think that's kind of more of the running joke, or whatever, of "Jonny only uses knee." You got a lot better since the last time I played you, but you're still very easy to tech chase. At least you got a ton harder to grab and your combos are no joke. I don't know about your reads since I don't really feel Sheik vs. Falcon involves a lot of really difficult reads on Falcon's side, but you kind of made it that way (and I think this is a good thing) by utilizing uthrow instead of dthrow.

Brick was shockingly better. Give him three months and he'll be a Jigglypuff worth truly fearing to face in bracket once he figures out and applies to being slightly less aggressive and working rests in better. He also needs some more time to flush out learning what to do in certain situations (a good example is how he kind of just up throws when in the middle of the stage regardless of percent and who he's playing with the reasoning [I'm guessing] of "I can do this and get a kill on Fox/Falco).

Ultimately, I think that the panel should be done away with though. The whole making a top 10 list, and averaging it seems really dumb. I think the efforts could easily be made by the entire Oregon community, and we could come out with an ultimately better result, that more people feel compelled to except.
Averaging meaning that every old list factors into the new one? It does seem silly when thought about, but certainly old rankings hold some sort of merit for some reason that I can't place other than gut feeling. I don't know, on paper I would say they shouldn't matter or be weight too terribly heavy.

I think after the last best bout of each period, for a week everyone should get to discuss what they think the PR for that period should be, and at the end of that week, discussion ends, and we have a new list. If a largely unanimous decision can't be reached in the week, then I think we should have someone kinda like a "president" or chair person, that just cuts the discussion off, and they post the list, and that is the list until next time. No one is ultimately going to always be happy with the lists, people still aren't now, but I think some kinda consensus can be reached... Most of us aren't kids... Any more. I think keeper might be the youngest ACTUAL melee player (Jedi Noah doesn't count), and he makes some of the most articulate posts anyway, so I don't think being concerned with people acting immature should be an issue.
I might be, if only because of my summer birthday though. I think to do a weeklong discussion about positioning, we need to first establish a more consistent period. Well, maybe not more consistent, but something that's hard-set and agreeable. I don't have any suggestions right now because I'm really mentally tired.

Also, I try. :mistyface:

I don't want to get this lost in the mass of my post so I put it in bold. At what point do we consider people for the PR? I'm thinking of up-and-comers like Postman, Brick, and potentially Wad once he starts playing like I know he actually can. Oh yes, and the other Corvallis people (assuming their attendance isn't in question).
The problem with the panel, is 3/5 of the panel are regularly at tournaments. It seemed like a good panel original, but Jesse and Foos have been the only consistent participants in the last few months really. It makes creating an accurate list kinda impossible for the remaining 3 members, 2 of which have attended 1 of the last 3 tournaments, and one which has attended 0 (or at least the singles Portion, Gage did enter teams with The Prime back in November).
Yeah, dude.

3 & 4) Jonny/Ratking
- Jonny has been performing pretty consistently, and although people constantly complain about the way he plays Falcon, he has been showing up, and doing work. I put myself and him as either 3 or 4, because to me it doesn't matter ultimately. He has beat me 2/3 of the last times we have played, but I have performed better against players who are ranked higher than both of us recently. Which ever of these you want to weigh higher, it doesn't matter. Jonny also performed exceptionally well today at Best Bout, and even though I hate to take into account their validity, for those that haven't been coming to the tournaments but are there Wednesdays, he out performed all of you then also.

- I have continued to improve, just like all of us have, and recently took Winners finals from Jesse at Game Clucks, I assume beating who most people in their new lists I saw at Jesse's, in one of the 3 most hype sets of a tournament should count for something. Also mine and Jesse's tournament matches today were crazy close. I did lose to Jonny today, and last time we played, which is why I would lean toward putting myself probably at 4 instead of 3, but it still is a toss up perhaps.
Yeah, Jonny has really consistent placings.
I do not want to take away your wins against Jesse, but he did then beat you in Grand Finals. Good ****, regardless and your matches against him today were close, as you stated. Thus not rendering your victory to be any sort of fluke.

5) Foos
- HOLY ****... So I know one of the biggest parts of being GOOD is consistency, but Foos brought his ****ing game today. Foos on most lists I saw was on the verge of being removed from the PR for this cycle. Foos game through and defeated both Jesse in losers finals, and Shane in Grand Finals to win the tournament. He also beat Jonny who I nominate for a higher spot on the PR than Foos, do to general consistency and performance at tournaments. I have seen Foos beat everyone except a few people that were listed higher than him previously, and the work he put in today, in conjunction with peoples lack of attendance, I think justifies his placing at #5. If things continue like today though, I have no problems seeing him in the top 3 soon, with the improvements he has been making.
If Foos maintains what he was doing today, god damn. He played amazingly in every game and event. The only thing I would need to see from him is for him to repeat successes like this. I'm not asking for him to get first at multiple more events and always beat Shane, but I'd like to see him at least taking games off of Jesse and going pretty well with Shane. I know he generally beats you [Kyle], but he seems to have your number as is, or a clash of styles that favors him. I don't, by any means, think he needs to drop. I would like to see this not be a one-hit wonder, but even if it somehow sort of is (if only for awhile), Foos will only get better thanks to his attendance.

I need to play and watch Minh. It's been like 3 years since I've done either.

7) Binx
- Pretty much the same as Minh. He comes on Wednesday's a lot, but I like to factor in the credibility of those events slightly less than real tournament play. Also from what I have observed the last few Wednesday's a lot of players have been putting in hella work against Binx, and he loses match ups I don't think he expects to (see Ryan last wednesday). Again, same thing applies here with Binx as Minh; Binx did really well back in November, but he hasn't shown up since then as well. His drop isn't because he is bad, or people got way better, but that we don't have results to justify him being where he was before. People are performing like Ballers, and Binx hasn't been there to stop them, if he still can.
Is there something I'm missing about Binx as a player that allows him to often be ranked as high as he is? I don't want to call him bad, because he isn't bad, but there always seems to be this level Justin is put on for some reason. Is it tenure or that he plays a mid-tier or is because those couple tournaments that he got pretty far in (weren't those BB weeklies?)?

8) Keeper
- Keeper is a solid player. He has lack of attendance working against him for this update I think. I have noticed a lot of improvements in his edge game, and recovery, but he still generally finishes the same in the pack, and recently has lost to people that previously ranked below him.
I feel kind of silly and selfish rushing straight to the section that's ALL ABOUT MEEEEEEEE, but who have I lost to that was ranked below me? I guess Foos, yeah? Wasn't he only one or two below me? This is the first time he's beat me in a Sheik ditto, but if he keeps up how he was playing tonight, he's probably going to win more. I'm not sure how I feel about how I was playing tonight (I felt either hot or cold, personally), but something has really felt off for me in the last couple weeks whenever I've picked up my controller to play or experiment with stuff.

I wouldn't say that I feel cheated or whatever, but I feel Jonny and I placed pretty much the same today since the brackets were small, our matches were close, and he got put on the opposite side of losers' and there's always some sort of volatility in who-plays-who in losers'. I don't know that I could have beaten you [Kyle] in bracket, but I do think I could have done better against you than I did against Foos. That's speculation though. Hell, maybe Jonny could have beaten Foos? I don't know how their sets usually go.

9) AlienAllen
-It might seem weird for me to move Allen up, when I was complaining about attendance, and then move Binx and Minh down for it. I did this mostly because the previous #9 has the same problem working against him as Allen, Binx and Minh, but also in his one time out in the last 3 months didn't perform as well as Allen. I don't live in, or play with the Corvallis people often, so I might be totally off base with this, but again, I am basin most of this on bigger tournament results and who people play in bigger tournaments. Bigger meaning our monthlies that the majority of our community attends, or should be attending.
I think we need to somehow see or get Corvallis up here. I understand them not wanting to, it's about a 50 minute drive and they could easily stay at home and play each other [for free], which some invariably will end up doing in bracket or during friendlies as is. Kazuki, ChinesePanda, Paul/Gheb/Bird, and Allen (I'm sorry if I'm neglecting anyone) are all good players that don't gain much exposure to not Corvallis. I think especially ChinesePanda and Kazuki will show much better results once they're more comfortable at Portland/larger(?) events, since they always seem to do quite well in Corvallis based events.

10) Ryan/TheCatPhysician
-Either of these dudes works for me. Ryan has come out of nowhere, and is absolutely crushing it. If he can calm down a little, with his puff ball, he is going to move up this thing really fast.
-Cat isn't my other pick because of homie status, he generally does pretty well, is a good player, really smart, often under performs and loses random match ups to players less skilled then him. He also beats this same players. His problem is consistency, and it would seem playing under pressure.
-If I had to lean one way or the other, I would go with Ryan probably, but I had a hard time giving this a definitive person.
I've never played Ryan (have I? Someone correct me if I have). I have to say that Jordan has been impressing me whenever I play him, even if he makes questionable decisions (going Falco against Shane after doing really well with Fox, not his in game decisions. He plays really safe and is capable of doing what he wants to do). However, some of those might be due to his laissez-faire attitude.

My overall feelings is that Oregon is particularly volatile, but there are a lot of people that run hot or cold depending on the day. There also seems to be a general trend of who beats who or performs well against who [at least]. This isn't a knock on anyone, it is me listing observations about what I've noticed within our scene that I find to be interesting. This does not leave no room for these results to be broken nor does it set anything in stone. I do feel it makes it hard to rank some players against other players because in my head when I try to rank any given player versus the scene, I get very distracted with ranking that player against other players in terms of who beats who, and sometimes that severely messes with how the potential PRs I agree with or was trying to form look. Sorry for the length, and yes I agree with an open PR because open source is where it's at.

A post script if you will: I've always been surprised by my rankings and performance from myself and others since I stopped being a total scrub. Lately it feels like I'm one of the more "teamless" players, if you will in that I don't have anyone to play with unless I go to Best Bout on the given days. I have absolutely no way to go to any smashfest on whim when anyone holds those ones. I feel like I'm the theory player of Oregon in that almost everything you guys play against when you play me is from me having watched videos, read articles, and practiced on bots for hours on end (as well as having spent about 10 odd nights at Jesse's playing well into about 5 am with him, Gage, and whoever else showed up). It's kind of like how Kyle said I'm somewhat of the Iceman of Oregon in that I don't really fit in with any one group, but I try to maintain good relations (whether it shows or not, hah) with everyone. Maybe this is out of place or seems odd. It doesn't relate to the PR really at all, but it was on my mind after having typed all of that (above this paragraph, that is). I don't know if I feel I'm underperforming or outdoing what I thought possible (well, I'm always frustrated by my performance to a degree. I feel like I often let myself down).
It's not that I feel the scene has defined cliques, but more that the ones that seem to exist to any extent are due to happenstance of location or whether or not the individuals knew each other prior to playing the game/going to tournaments. It's also that I have none of those, hah.

I mean, "VENUSAUR!" with a question mark.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
For clarification on my previous posts as well, this is pretty much exactly how I think/thought about my rankings, based on both the performance and attendance. It is jacked straight out of the SoCal PR thread.

- If the said player is ranked during the previous period, he must attend at least 1 tournament.

- If he is not ranked during the previous period, he must attend at least 2 tournaments.

A player will not be directly affected by his attendance if he is considered active by the rule above. However, he will be indirectly affected if players below him perform better in his absence.
Averaging meaning that every old list factors into the new one? It does seem silly when thought about, but certainly old rankings hold some sort of merit for some reason that I can't place other than gut feeling. I don't know, on paper I would say they shouldn't matter or be weight too terribly heavy.
No, like everyone makes a list for the period, 5 lists get averaged, that is the list. That is what the numbers are all about.

I feel kind of silly and selfish rushing straight to the section that's ALL ABOUT MEEEEEEEE, but who have I lost to that was ranked below me? I guess Foos, yeah? Wasn't he only one or two below me? This is the first time he's beat me in a Sheik ditto, but if he keeps up how he was playing tonight, he's probably going to win more. I'm not sure how I feel about how I was playing tonight (I felt either hot or cold, personally), but something has really felt off for me in the last couple weeks whenever I've picked up my controller to play or experiment with stuff.
I didn't put you were I did because I think you should necessarily be there, but that there was no where else really. You are a pretty solid player. It just gets really hard to rank 3-8/9. It eventually becomes unsatisfactory for someone. It is mostly about little things at that point. Kinda like the flow chart **** you talked about, and I will mention again...

I think we need to somehow see or get Corvallis up here. I understand them not wanting to, it's about a 50 minute drive and they could easily stay at home and play each other [for free], which some invariably will end up doing in bracket or during friendlies as is.
Agreed, I would even come down, if we can convince Bart to come from Eugene also. Could be hella fun.

...when I try to rank any given player versus the scene, I get very distracted with ranking that player against other players in terms of who beats who, and sometimes that severely messes with how the potential PRs.
The first way is exactly how I feel about it. Like you said in another post, we might as well have a flow chart. I pretty much think about it like that when evaluating people. Or I try to. Definitely not a who beats who, but who beats who beats who beats who beats who.... Or something,

A post script if you will: I've always been surprised by my rankings and performance from myself and others since I stopped being a total scrub. Lately it feels like I'm one of the more "teamless" players, if you will in that I don't have anyone to play with unless I go to Best Bout on the given days. I have absolutely no way to go to any smashfest on whim when anyone holds those ones. I feel like I'm the theory player of Oregon in that almost everything you guys play against when you play me is from me having watched videos, read articles, and practiced on bots for hours on end (as well as having spent about 10 odd nights at Jesse's playing well into about 5 am with him, Gage, and whoever else showed up). It's kind of like how Kyle said I'm somewhat of the Iceman of Oregon in that I don't really fit in with any one group, but I try to maintain good relations (whether it shows or not, hah) with everyone. Maybe this is out of place or seems odd. It doesn't relate to the PR really at all, but it was on my mind after having typed all of that (above this paragraph, that is). I don't know if I feel I'm underperforming or outdoing what I thought possible (well, I'm always frustrated by my performance to a degree. I feel like I often let myself down).
It's not that I feel the scene has defined cliques, but more that the ones that seem to exist to any extent are due to happenstance of location or whether or not the individuals knew each other prior to playing the game/going to tournaments. It's also that I have none of those, hah.

Yo... Those words did NOT come out of my mouth... But something like that... **** Iceman. :):):):)

keeper

Smash Champion
Most of that stuff is pretty agreeable and I do find it really hard to rank individuals after the top 2 overall (unless Foos continues to **** on people like tonight).

I don't think having everyone making a list and averaging it is a good idea because there's going to be bias and outliers. Maybe have everyone make a list that's cut and dry without explanations, then append an explanation to each individual's placement with a debate amongst those that feel strongly about certain placings on players within the list until a consensus is reached. There's going to be some disgruntled individuals, but that's how compromises work and how a good collective decision is reached when it's more than one person contributing. Hopefully the process won't become too arduous though.

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
keeper said:
Agreed. The guy is super good. I think it's only because we haven't seen him or Allen recently, but that doesn't mean either of them got worse. I'd like to see Paul play against Jordan.
I've played Paul and Allen only once each, both in tournament. I won against Paul and lost to Allen, and both sets were close if I recall. I don't think one set is nearly enough to go by in judging players though...I really wish they would come to more tournaments so we can figure out where I stand.

But whatever -- this next PR update will probably be the last one I'll be on because I'm moving back to Alaska for good around April 1st.

keeper

Smash Champion
I've played Paul and Allen only once each, both in tournament. I won against Paul and lost to Allen, and both sets were close if I recall. I don't think one set is nearly enough to go by in judging players though...I really wish they would come to more tournaments so we can figure out where I stand.

But whatever -- this next PR update will probably be the last one I'll be on because I'm moving back to Alaska for good around April 1st.
Agreed on the one set not being enough.

Also, :( at you moving away.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord

A lot of this is how I feel about myself in the community.

cmin

Smash Ace
Smash PR is a pretty touchy subject. Smash isn't like sc2 or league of legends where there are dedicated ranked matches, so you can have a huge pool of data to put ranking points and MMR and such.

But in those other games, the "PR" is always changing, depending on who plays more, and who wins more. In my opinion, instead of having a PR, we should just have a "latest tournament results" thread as our PR thread. This way there is no need for a PR list, but rather just raw data on the front page. Then people can look on the list themselves and see where they stand. And sucks if you can't come to tournaments, you will simply not have your name on the previous tournament.

There won't be any disputes or anything. If people ask, hey hows the oregon PR look like? we point them to this page and they can figure it out on their own. Sounds reasonable I think

Mr Postman

Smash Journeyman
With Minh's idea people won't have to be worried about missing tournaments so much, because they can't get deducted points and end up placed low on the PR. (or however that works)

However, having a PR does make it cooler because you can say, "I'm number one in Oregon" and everyone will love you because you are good at video games.... :awesome:

...even though you still live with your parents.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
Smash PR is a pretty touchy subject. Smash isn't like sc2 or league of legends where there are dedicated ranked matches, so you can have a huge pool of data to put ranking points and MMR and such.

But in those other games, the "PR" is always changing, depending on who plays more, and who wins more. In my opinion, instead of having a PR, we should just have a "latest tournament results" thread as our PR thread. This way there is no need for a PR list, but rather just raw data on the front page. Then people can look on the list themselves and see where they stand. And sucks if you can't come to tournaments, you will simply not have your name on the previous tournament.

There won't be any disputes or anything. If people ask, hey hows the oregon PR look like? we point them to this page and they can figure it out on their own. Sounds reasonable I think
It is totally reasonable, but also kind of a typical Oregon cop-out from my experiences (and as far as I know, it was the same when I was gone.). I wouldn't oppose this idea, if everyone was totally down, but it just seems pointless. The means of creating a PR the way I suggested encompasses what you said largely, if you aren't showing up, you aren't getting the "prestige" (this is only funny if you were at BB at 2am on Wednesday this week.), which is what you have essentially suggested, and I support.

However the difference with those games and ours, is we have tournaments one time a month, that **** is being played so frequently it's nuts. So in 3 months we have to compile that small data in a logical manner; now I know this seems to further support your opinion, but this is why I like the idea of a PR as opposed to results. Results can be skewed depending on where you land in a bracket. A less skilled player at a small tournament, like a local similar to best bout (it doesn't work quite like this at large ones, you get ****ed pretty fast.), can easily snake into a "respectable" placing, based on seeding etc...

The previous results idea, then shows who is placing well, but doesn't really show how good people are becoming. The point of the PR isn't to necessarily show who beats who, like was previously discussed. This also might be clarification as to how I feel about keepers question of "So when does someone get onto the PR?." I feel like for spots 1 and 2 (and this is mostly in Oregon, not necessarily a general thing), it is pretty obvious why they are 1 and 2. 2 beats everyone except 1 pretty much, and 1 beats everyone. 3-8 I see as all reall similar, but some things separate people a little. For instance 3 could lose to 5 60% of the time, but that doesn't make 5 better in this instance, because 3 might be beating people 5 isn't, or performing in a way 5 is not. I see 9 in the case of Oregon, as someone who can potentially give most of 3-8 a hard time, but it isn't necessarily likely. He causes upsets. 10 is just definitely better than the people below him, and might cause an occasional upset. This might seem kinda dicey, given the way I ranked you and Binx on my list, which is just my opinions; but it is merely because we don't have the data to support anything. So like I started my previous post, for me you guys were in no way brought down because of something negative, but rather people performed better in your consistent absence.

The point of the PR is to look at things overall and not on a person by person or case by case basis I think. The PR is actually kinda a flow chart to some degree, without all of the annoying lines, that explain what is actually going on. The results idea caters to the opposite of this I think. I also think the entire way I look at our PR could change drastically, as players get better, put in the work and start to even out a little.

Anyway, all of this is just my opinions, it sucks we do this on a forum through text, because I am really not vehemently opposed to anything, or pushing anything, or angry or something, even though when I read my novel long posts, it might seem like such. I am just looking for what looks like a series of premises people are suggesting, in support of a conclusion, showing what is right or wrong with either the premises or conclusion, and trying to create a dialogue with others about it. It is the only thing I really got out of my ****ty Bachelors degree, and now it is so embedded in me, I can't help it.

keeper

Smash Champion
I think in the PR OP there should be a list of links to tournament results at the very least, in chronological order. That way anyone, new or old, can see who has placed where in whatever environments.

A lot of this is how I feel about myself in the community.
You're cool though. You only happen to live in Scappoose, where no one else lives.
In retrospect, I should have said "You rock!" because pad puns are fantastic.
nah, you're a bad ***. Keeper is a clown.

Just kidding Evan. I love you [now].

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I see two ways of PR discussions being evaluated:
'small panel' (usually consisting of 3 to 5 player)
'community panel' (whomever participates)

[COLLAPSE="Participary Democracy"]Participatory democracy strives to create opportunities for all members of a population to make meaningful contributions to decision-making, and seeks to broaden the range of people who have access to such opportunities.[/COLLAPSE]

The benefit of having a community panel is that full disclosure is inherent - everyone just goes to the discussion thread and has their say on who gets ranked how. The problem is that a format for developing an actual list out of so many voices must be established and followed closely to prevent 'too much discussion' resulting in a decline of production.

An argument against a community panel is that 'not everyone's opinion is worth as much as others'. This is basically a way of promoting segregation, which I don't think is necessary in such a small community as we have here. I think everyone's opinions are valued and that we're smart enough and civil enough that we can all come together and agree on things.

Agreeing on things is actually my next point. There was a form of government in America (I forget exactly where and when, but that's sort of irrelevant) where everyone in the community had to all agree with what to do, either for or against but no abstaining. This is where the term "okay" came from because if you said you were "okay" with what was happening it meant that you didn't necessary support it but you were at least "okay" with it (sort of like saying "meh" and letting things be).

I think that if everyone came together we could probably make a PR that gets 'close enough' to an accurate list that everyone could be 'okay' with it.

I also want to discuss the idea of a possible restructure of the PR Listing itself, but I'll save that for another post.

keeper

Smash Champion
It was, then we were missing a lot of key components and I think there's still the argument (somehow) about whether or not to open it and make it more of a collective discussion.

Top Bottom