• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oregon PR! updated 10/17/2014

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
Juce
Gage
Minh
Binx
Ratking
Keeper
Jonny
Bird
Alien
Foos

Cat Physician
Debaser
****ard
Postman
Ryan

I want comments on my PR list. What looks out of place? Come at me bros.

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
Juce
Gage
Minh
Binx
Ratking
Keeper
Jonny
Bird
Alien
Foos

Cat Physician
Debaser
****ard
Postman
Ryan

Nice, thanks for sharing. Most of it looks pretty good. I don't know much about you and Bird - who you beat and who beats you - so I wouldn't know where to put you guys. I think Foos has improved though, but you would have him moved below you two. Have you guys been playing a lot? And is Corvallis coming to the next best bout?

Binx

Smash Master
Thanks for friendlies and **** tonight everyone, had a good time, wad and ****ard are both really improving a lot =D

You both have a good shot at getting in the top 10 if you keep this up, we need more corvalis to come smash so we can see where everyone ranks ^_^

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
Juce
Gage
Minh
Binx
Ratking
Keeper
Jonny
Bird
Alien
Foos

Cat Physician
Debaser
****ard
Postman
Ryan

1) Don't know how Minh goes above Binx after both of them attending only 1 tournament. I guess Minh performed better than, but I dunno if that should warrant the move (see my third point as to how to fix this.)

2) Also think Gage should drop more after not attending the last 2 (basically there is nothing to compare him to in recent times. There is a strong chance he is still better than people below him, but we are all improving, and if he's not coming, then odds are he isn't improving at the rate others below him are. IMO he was obviously better than a lot of people the last several tournaments he's been to, but not THAT much. Stuff changes.). I am not trying to single Gage out on this one, it pretty much goes for everyone, that is why I feel unsure about Minh and Binx's changes (again, see my third point as a potential solution to this).

3) Also I feel like the lists should be made and possibly changed after this next best bout. 2 tournaments, especially with a lot of people attending 0 or 1 of them doesn't seem like a very fair or accurate sample. If everyone was at both of them, I might agree, but I think 3 should be the standard, unless we somehow have EVERYONE at both, Or perhaps doing an early change after the regional, or a bigger tournament, that a lot of Oregon attends.

4) Still really curious as to how the weeklies are factored into anything. Really scared they actually count at all. I like using those as an opportunity to try really new things, in a semi-competitive (there isn't an incentive really...) setting. If performance there effects placing, then that kinda deters that mindset. Also are people taking into account any players performance when they leave Oregon? I know I asked that before, and was told yes, but it doesn't necessarily seem like it (looking at CatPhysician, Jesse and Myself mostly on this one, so this might be a little biased, since we have been leaving the most often.)

Binx

Smash Master
The list for the most part is compiled based on each individuals opinions on who is the best, the reason that this is okay is for two reasons, for the most part everyone on the panel has a relatively high skill level compared to / has been playing longer than most of Oregon, and knows the majority of smashers in the state.

Your out of state performance especially if consistently high will show through and effect the way that the panel thinks of you, thus will effect your ranking on the PR. Many people ranked me higher than minh based only off of recent memory, the reason his best bout performance got him where he is currently ranked is because everyone got a refresher on just how good minh really is.

That being said Minh may be slightly better or worse than me, and I don't care either way if I am ranked one above or below him, he is really good, certainly the toughest opponent in oregon for me personally outside of maybe Gage's jigglypuff and Jesse's Fox but even those are about as bad as Minh's Falco or Marth for me.

Weeklies will once again effect the panels views on your skill one way or the other, but for the most part are largely unconsidered, I know I personally don't really weight them that much, even though I typically take them somewhat seriously when I am there. For me I feel just playing to win helps me to tighten up my play and make less mistakes, even the next time I friendly.

In tournaments or in best bout tournaments I typically don't go for as many flashy edgeguards or dumb decisions as I would in friendlies or something. I think since wed has plenty of time for friendly games that I can try stuff out in those, and during the "tournament" phase of it I can just take those matches somewhat seriously, regardless of what is on the line or not.

I also agree that 3 best bouts should be about the standard for new lists, the reason we were considering rushing this one is because they wanted to add 5 people to the list, which is why it is likely to be largely unchanged. We are currently in the process of voting on whether or not to make the PR discussion group public or not, and we are taking a vote on whether to extend the list to 15 players or leave it at 10.

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
Nice, thanks for sharing. Most of it looks pretty good. I don't know much about you and Bird - who you beat and who beats you - so I wouldn't know where to put you guys. I think Foos has improved though, but you would have him moved below you two. Have you guys been playing a lot? And is Corvallis coming to the next best bout?
Yeah, as far as i know Bird and i have only played you once each, but we have decent records against the rest of Oregon. Bird has beaten Keeper, Jonny, Foos in tournament and at the last BB I beat you and Foos to tie Ratking for 5th. We haven't played much because of the break, but we played on Tuesday and plan to play at least once a week.

1) Don't know how Minh goes above Binx after both of them attending only 1 tournament. I guess Minh performed better than, but I dunno if that should warrant the move (see my third point as to how to fix this.)

2) Also think Gage should drop more after not attending the last 2 (basically there is nothing to compare him to in recent times. There is a strong chance he is still better than people below him, but we are all improving, and if he's not coming, then odds are he isn't improving at the rate others below him are. IMO he was obviously better than a lot of people the last several tournaments he's been to, but not THAT much. Stuff changes.). I am not trying to single Gage out on this one, it pretty much goes for everyone, that is why I feel unsure about Minh and Binx's changes (again, see my third point as a potential solution to this).

3) Also I feel like the lists should be made and possibly changed after this next best bout. 2 tournaments, especially with a lot of people attending 0 or 1 of them doesn't seem like a very fair or accurate sample. If everyone was at both of them, I might agree, but I think 3 should be the standard, unless we somehow have EVERYONE at both, Or perhaps doing an early change after the regional, or a bigger tournament, that a lot of Oregon attends.

4) Still really curious as to how the weeklies are factored into anything. Really scared they actually count at all. I like using those as an opportunity to try really new things, in a semi-competitive (there isn't an incentive really...) setting. If performance there effects placing, then that kinda deters that mindset. Also are people taking into account any players performance when they leave Oregon? I know I asked that before, and was told yes, but it doesn't necessarily seem like it (looking at CatPhysician, Jesse and Myself mostly on this one, so this might be a little biased, since we have been leaving the most often.)
My experience against Minh consists of friendlies/seriouslies a couple times, and watching him at tournament. From that little experience it was very clear he was a top level player.

As far as Gage goes, I am still fairly confident he is very near the top but if he stops playing all together then I will move him to an honorable mention or something.

I basically made this list through a combination of tournament results for people that I haven't played, and personal experience for the people that I have played.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
In my defense, I never played before ever in any of the tournaments I've won. I haven't actually seriously played smash in like 6 months. I only lost 2 games in the two tournaments I won. Got 1st, 1st, and was the only Oregonian to get top 3 in doubles. Which means I was the only Oregon in top 3 for any event. I'm the best, etc, etc

aka I actually took myself off of the PR in my vote. Since I'm probably quitting smash. I also asked someone to replace me on the panel. Since it wouldn't be fair for me to rank people I haven't seen in like 3 months.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
In my defense, I never played before ever in any of the tournaments I've won. I haven't actually seriously played smash in like 6 months. I only lost 2 games in the two tournaments I won. Got 1st, 1st, and was the only Oregonian to get top 3 in doubles. Which means I was the only Oregon in top 3 for any event. I'm the best, etc, etc
I dunno, there are numerous times I could have seen Jesse beating you. Like the tournament you paid him 5 dollars to forfeit.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
Pretty sure you could call those "mindgames". It was also that same tournament Jesse lost to Binx. Then went on to play me who didn't lose to him.

I'm the best in the world. I hope you're coming to realize that

keeper

Smash Champion
Why is Binx always above me on PR lists? I've never lost to him in bracket and we usually perform roughly similarly in bracket.
I'd call myself with Foos sort of a wash since I've beaten him in every one of our Sheik dittos (and they've always been really close, except one I think. Even then, the stocks were always close in each match), but he beats people that I don't and I beat people he doesn't (Ex: Ratking and CatPhysician, respectively).

I think this is a really valid point. While I'd say (I think) I'm generally pretty consistent. I get really tense at the weekly things because I think they actively affect my ranking. This may be a sentiment only shared by myself and it may also help that I think I perform rather well whenever I get really nervous as it makes me focus. I also know that some people just have bad weeks or bad days. Such as the week that I beat Ratking at the BB weekly. I could tell he was playing decidedly worse than normal and the next time I attended he beat me in the last game by a stock [or two] in the last game (it was a good set, I think). On the counter side, it's hard to judge our overall PR or whatever when we only have monthlies that not every attends due to whatever reason, not to say I, myself, could easily attend bi-weeklies or whatever more frequent event.

I don't think inactivity should play a role to an extent. Jesse and Gage are rather infrequent people when it comes to attendance, or at least in my experiences; however, every time I play them I notice little-to-no degradation in their abilities or prowess (except Jesse is more likely to mess up one of his ridiculous tech things). I'd say I'm lax on attendance myself, but that doesn't ever seem to have impacted my ranking (I think?).

Juce
Gage
Minh
Binx
Ratking
Keeper
Jonny
Bird
Alien
Foos

Cat Physician
Debaser
****ard
Postman
Ryan

-Paul is volatile in certain match-ups, but certainly a great player with sick combos and option covering. I'd say the same goes for you, Allen. You lose many games I expect to see you win.
-Nathan is a very underrated player, albeit I don't know if he'd rank above Scott or Ben (I haven't watched nor played Ben in a rather long time). He has a very technical Falcon, just needs work on his spacing or something I haven't placed yet. Lots of potential with his current technical prowess to reach much higher levels. I look forward to witnessing that growth.
-Hell, Scott is a volatile player and wins many sets I don't expect to see him come out of in a dominating fashion. Those impress me quite a bit.
-I have no idea who Ryan is, unless he's Sheik Slamma.
-I don't know why Minh is second at this moment, but I have no room to question it since I think he has potential to be the top three on any given day at the same time. I realize this statement is contradictory.
-Why do individuals rank Jonny as highly as they do? How is his Falcon better than yours? I've already asked earlier why Binx is ranked so highly.
-Why are Foos and Jordan ranked as low as they are?
-The ordering of my ranking versus Kyle's is something I agree with. I have yet to consistently beat him in sets when I feel he is playing the way I know he can, but we have close matches for the most part.

Your out of state performance especially if consistently high will show through and effect the way that the panel thinks of you, thus will effect your ranking on the PR. Many people ranked me higher than minh based only off of recent memory, the reason his best bout performance got him where he is currently ranked is because everyone got a refresher on just how good minh really is.
This worries me in a small way in that I don't really go out of state. I used to, but I don't feel it should impact it a lot if the resulst are consistent with in-state ones [when Washington attends our events no less]. The recent Gameclucks results did make me happy and kind of made me regret not having attended as the last time I played Banana I beat him pretty easily. It was nice to see Oregon perform well, and yes I'm aware that the top 4 in Washington were not in attendance (Note: Top 4 in WA to me is Shane, Otto, Vish, and Teddy. I don't know much about C!Z's skill other than his placings usually surprise me).

Jaycemoney

Smash Rookie
I didnt read anything on the page, cause there are too many words. But i did see ratking mention something about weeklies counting for PR. if that were the case i should be on this list, cause i bring the ****.

Just sayin.

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
Finally, some recognition. :cool:

I feel I'm about as good as Jonny right now. Haven't played him a lot recently except for yesterday (shout outs for showing up) and he took more matches but they're really close.

Also, when Banana was here apparently his controller was ****ed up. I beat him really easily too that tournament but have played him at 2 GCs since then and he was much better.

keeper

Smash Champion
Finally, some recognition. :cool:

I feel I'm about as good as Jonny right now. Haven't played him a lot recently except for yesterday (shout outs for showing up) and he took more matches but they're really close.

Also, when Banana was here apparently his controller was ****ed up. I beat him really easily too that tournament but have played him at 2 GCs since then and he was much better.
I played him like two-three years ago, in his defense, hah. It was when we were both in the "former brawl player" cloud and I still mained Fox.

I didnt read anything on the page, cause there are too many words. But i did see ratking mention something about weeklies counting for PR. if that were the case i should be on this list, cause i bring the ****.

Just sayin.
Your reports from high school must be hilarious.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
I think this is a really valid point. While I'd say (I think) I'm generally pretty consistent. I get really tense at the weekly things because I think they actively affect my ranking. This may be a sentiment only shared by myself and it may also help that I think I perform rather well whenever I get really nervous as it makes me focus. I also know that some people just have bad weeks or bad days. Such as the week that I beat Ratking at the BB weekly. I could tell he was playing decidedly worse than normal and the next time I attended he beat me in the last game by a stock [or two] in the last game (it was a good set, I think).
My point was more so that I think they shouldn't be heavily factored, but I also feel that every match anyone plays with anyone on the PR, is somehow being factored, at least sub-consciously. For me there is a huge difference in play between friendlies, the weeklies and the real tournaments. Friendlies are constantly a time for experimentation. Most times I am playing someone in friendlies I feel isn't better than me, I am constantly trying new things, or working on something new. If I play people better than me, then I try to work more on fundamental game, and playing to win. This isn't to say I am a sand bagging jerk like Jesse. I definitely try to win, but I try to win doing things that I feel really uncomfortable with.

The weekly tournaments are similar to friendlies, except that the things I have been working on, that I feel most confident about, I try to begin incorporating into my play in semi serious situations. Stuff I have been working on, but am still super scared to throw in there I will avoid, as I try to emulate the feeling of try hard tournament mode a little more.

The monthlies I avoid all things I feel no confidence in. I stick purely to what I know works, and what I feel will result in the least amount of technical error. I almost have to do this, because of how nervous I generally get.

I mean, I guess really that is all my own doing how I present myself/ability then. But it would have been/would be nice to know what the criteria is, or to establish some kind of criteria for how players are being considered. I mean I think performance at real tournaments should be the only important factor. However, I guess it ultimately doesn't matter, cause I feel the method I have chose is the best path to improvement. If that means being considered inconsistent or bad, then so be it.

On the counter side, it's hard to judge our overall PR or whatever when we only have monthlies that not every attends due to whatever reason, not to say I, myself, could easily attend bi-weeklies or whatever more frequent event.
Yeah, I get this, but I don't think it is unreasonable for people to make a conscious effort to attend the one major tournament we have a month. Everyone knows when it is 1, 2 ,3... **** infinite months, or as far out as you can look at a calendar in advance. If you don't make it to that one thing, then that sucks. That is also though why I think the evaluation period or whatever should be every 3 months. If players can attend 2/3, that doesn't seem to unreasonable, and should give people a chance to hit as many different people in bracket then.

This worries me in a small way in that I don't really go out of state. I used to, but I don't feel it should impact it a lot if the resulst are consistent with in-state ones [when Washington attends our events no less]. The recent Gameclucks results did make me happy and kind of made me regret not having attended as the last time I played Banana I beat him pretty easily. It was nice to see Oregon perform well, and yes I'm aware that the top 4 in Washington were not in attendance (Note: Top 4 in WA to me is Shane, Otto, Vish, and Teddy. I don't know much about C!Z's skill other than his placings usually surprise me).
I have said it before, but I think these out of state ventures more so should help people that do go, but in some way not negatively impact those that don't. Myself for example, I legitimately beat Jesse in winners finals last weekend. I actually tried my absolute hardest and gave it my best effort to keep my cool, because I was hoping that situation might factor into my potential ranking for the PR. I even asked him "Did you let me win?" and he said "No, I can't figure out how that happened." We went to last match, of what is one of the 3 most important sets to get through in the tournament, and what definitely makes setting up to win a tournament a lot easier. Granted he came back and destroyed me in GF's, but I feel like that victory should count for something, even though it didn't happen in Oregon. I mean part of being truly good is consistency, but for me that small victory was a huge step for me, and really getting to that level has been my goal since I played him for the first time in 5 years, and decided to start playing again.

Similarly and hypothetically, if someone ranked 8th goes out of state and beats otto, then that should count for a huge jump in rank for that cycle. Even if it isn't proof of consistency, it is an extremely difficult and well earned accomplishment. I guess this would be naturally a negative impact for players that don't travel, because it is more opportunity for those that do to play in more tournaments; but something should be able to be worked out to factor this in.

JonnyW

Smash Ace
Theres a few reasons. When I do something I like to be dedicated to a certain level and lately I haven't been playing smash at all. I don't want to dedicate the time and money I feel like I should be spending. I don't wanna half *** anything I do. Being on the PR is a reflection of everybody in Oregon and I don't wanna be on it if I'm not trying my hardest to practice, go to events, etc.

I just have other things in my life id rather put my time and dedication too. I'm still gonna play, just not competitively.

keeper

Smash Champion
My point was more so that I think they shouldn't be heavily factored, but I also feel that every match anyone plays with anyone on the PR, is somehow being factored, at least sub-consciously. For me there is a huge difference in play between friendlies, the weeklies and the real tournaments. Friendlies are constantly a time for experimentation. Most times I am playing someone in friendlies I feel isn't better than me, I am constantly trying new things, or working on something new. If I play people better than me, then I try to work more on fundamental game, and playing to win. This isn't to say I am a sand bagging jerk like Jesse. I definitely try to win, but I try to win doing things that I feel really uncomfortable with.
Lol, the Jesse thing is too true. I can't tell when he's sandbagging or having an off day though. I've taken games off of him in tourney, but I couldn't tell if I was playing better or if he was doing one of the two aforementioned things. Doesn't mean I shouldn't try to improve though.

I was agreeing with your original post.

The weekly tournaments are similar to friendlies, except that the things I have been working on, that I feel most confident about, I try to begin incorporating into my play in semi serious situations. Stuff I have been working on, but am still super scared to throw in there I will avoid, as I try to emulate the feeling of try hard tournament mode a little more.
Yeah. They're like seriouslies to me, which is a serious friendly (I think that was implied by the name though).

The monthlies I avoid all things I feel no confidence in. I stick purely to what I know works, and what I feel will result in the least amount of technical error. I almost have to do this, because of how nervous I generally get.
Makes sense.
I mean, I guess really that is all my own doing how I present myself/ability then. But it would have been/would be nice to know what the criteria is, or to establish some kind of criteria for how players are being considered. I mean I think performance at real tournaments should be the only important factor. However, I guess it ultimately doesn't matter, cause I feel the method I have chose is the best path to improvement. If that means being considered inconsistent or bad, then so be it.
You're pretty consistent as is.

Yeah, I get this, but I don't think it is unreasonable for people to make a conscious effort to attend the one major tournament we have a month. Everyone knows when it is 1, 2 ,3... **** infinite months, or as far out as you can look at a calendar in advance. If you don't make it to that one thing, then that sucks. That is also though why I think the evaluation period or whatever should be every 3 months. If players can attend 2/3, that doesn't seem to unreasonable, and should give people a chance to hit as many different people in bracket then.
I get you too.

I have said it before, but I think these out of state ventures more so should help people that do go, but in some way not negatively impact those that don't.
Yeah.

Similarly and hypothetically, if someone ranked 8th goes out of state and beats otto, then that should count for a huge jump in rank for that cycle. Even if it isn't proof of consistency, it is an extremely difficult and well earned accomplishment. I guess this would be naturally a negative impact for players that don't travel, because it is more opportunity for those that do to play in more tournaments; but something should be able to be worked out to factor this in.
Also yeah. What if they then go back to an in-state event and lose to someone from in state (that they don't normally). Does that mean the person in state just knows how they play/caught on to something they do or what? Obviously it's not the transitive logic of them now being able to beat y player because they beat x, but surely it must mean something (I think?).

Sounds like some keeper/surreal ****.... :bee::bee::bee::bee:
I think I just get way too upset when I feel I'm not improving/getting worse/losing all the time.

debaser

Smash Lord
you guys, I blow at smash. I never even got past the point where you pick a main. any set I have won was some kind of fluke.

I think I main ganon now.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
You're pretty consistent as is.
Definitely not. A night like last night at Jesse's, and as many off days as I have, that is not consistency. I am far too often unable to perform way to many things, even simple **** like get on the ****ing ledge, because I just simply am not performing to the level I feel I am often times capable of.

I feel like when I am playing well, I am playing REALLY ****ing well, and when I am not, it is like the worst thing in the world. I don't have much of a grey area. Trying to improve on that heavily.

keeper

Smash Champion
Definitely not. A night like last night at Jesse's, and as many off days as I have, that is not consistency. I am far too often unable to perform way to many things, even simple **** like get on the ****ing ledge, because I just simply am not performing to the level I feel I am often times capable of.

I feel like when I am playing well, I am playing REALLY ****ing well, and when I am not, it is like the worst thing in the world. I don't have much of a grey area. Trying to improve on that heavily.
My perspective is bias. I've only played you once when I felt/noticed you were having an off day. :bee: I guess I should have said you're consistent in my experiences. Even if you don't think you are right now, you can pretty much only go up, I suppose.

I'm one of the three people in oregon that aren't on the list and I'm butthurt about it.
Pikachu is hard to be good with. You have a very good Pikachu though.

Binx

Smash Master
You're improving really fast wad, characters that aren't played much have a really steep learning curve.

I think the reason for this is because if you wanna learn fox vs marth, you can pick marth, and have a friend who plays fox combo you and feel what works from the other side, where as pikachu and ics and other wierd characters oregon plays you cant really do that.

I also think you could benefit heavily from just watching some vids and planning out your responses to things before hand.

It took me like 3 years or some bs to learn how to actually adapt to anything mid match with this character lol. I always had to know what I needed to do beforehand.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Tbh I don't really care if I'm on the list or not. I'm not improving to show other people, I'm improving for myself, if that makes any sense. I'm just reiterating the point that the scene is too small to have a fifteen people pr.

I don't normally get ahh moments when I watch other pikachu videos. I actually find it kind of painful when a pikachu thinks uair is their only move 75% of the time, although this isn't always the case. I've spent so much time studying my character that I know a whole lot of followups to a lot of situations, the only problem is that I don't currently have the ability to think things through in the middle of a match. I need to calm down a bit, and that'll take time. I know I'm on the right track, and I'm willing to wait. I'm just enjoying the ride.

Binx

Smash Master
Thats a good attitude to have, but what I mean is that you should have your responses planned before hand so you dont have to think during the match, just do what you trained yourself to do.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
Thats a good attitude to have, but what I mean is that you should have your responses planned before hand so you dont have to think during the match, just do what you trained yourself to do.
Depending on how you mean this, this could be really good, or the worst advice ever. Flowing is the most important part of getting good imo. If you are forcing ****, you will be blowing it like 80% of the time.

keeper

Smash Champion
I've found reactionary playing to be the best. I don't have things I always go for regardless of what is happening and try really hard to never be greedy. I have things I know work if the other person does this or DI's whatever way (best example is Marth DIing behind Sheik after dthrow around 30-40% guarantees a tipper usmash).

A good example of someone going for a thing they thought was guaranteed is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rL9TuXYHRs#t=00m56s

He didn't need to do that fsmash. Another nair was guaranteed. Take the guarantee and hit him, get your 16% in, and possibly set up an edgeguard.
Something I really like that you (Wad) do is you really seem to know and appreciate your angle for recovering. Whenever given the opportunity, everyone with something like Firefox, Firebird, Quick Attack, Vanish, Farore's wind, etc. should abuse that they can get a sweetspot instead of going straight at it or recovering high.

On the record, one should totally not be constantly thinking about every little thing they're doing at any given moment, like Binx said. They shouldn't, however, be inflexible. This really shows in doubles when people **** up and continue a combo despite the person getting hit out or whatever (or just messing up a part of the combo and continuing the muscle memory, like waveshine->usmash or something).

Top Bottom