• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oregon PR! updated 10/17/2014

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Maybe it is because he plays Marth, and I'm not accustomed to a nearly even MU, but I thought he was a casual gamer :x I think the only time I played him in bracket was at the civil war where I 2-0ed him . . .

God with a Wavebird

Smash Apprentice
I've only played you in Friendlies Logan, and that was a while ago, but I remember beating you pretty easily with my Yoshi... So I'd be pretty impressed if you could beat Oliver or Jarod. Jarod's gotten better, and he also says he's beaten you the most recent time that you've played. I'd like to see you MM both of them.

I feel bad for you J*zzard when you have to play Jarod. He's only good vs Falco. lol

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
I don't remember playing your Yoshi . . . was it at the tourney where I was sleep deprived and lost to Riley (who I've 4 stocked both the time before and after that event.)? If so that hardly counts . . . Also, the last time I was in Eugene and was realllly intoxicated might be when I played Jarod. . .

I do remember us playing in crews, where we matched stocks. "pretty easy."

Also consider that all of the above mentioned matches were last year, and I've played for less than a year, so you can expect me to have already improved, and will be improving in the future.

I'm fine MMing anyone from Eugene.

Worst case scenario I get a learning experience, best case scenario I get money.

God with a Wavebird

Smash Apprentice
I know everyone is super eager to update the PR and all. But I vote we wait until Best Bout to do it because Eugene will be coming and I think Corvallis will too, so like, possible everyone on the PR will be there.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Everybody is eager to update the PR, you just don't know it.

[collapse=EVERYBODY]
[/collapse]

The Jizzard

Smash Journeyman
IMO ****ard should be higher but i guess he'll just have to prove it next best bout.
i agree. i am happy with my placement at the last tournament and will be planning on going ham again this next BB.

if anyone is planning on going to GC i would be down to go if there is room

The Jizzard

Smash Journeyman
GGs everyone. allen too good. I feel like we trade off winning matches lolol I wish I beat you today tho.
Also ggs to everyone I mm'd
Hopefully I did good enough to move up in the pr for this update

dont sleep on kazuki

:phone:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Did I see you throw your controller? If so, it must have been a pretty intense match.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
I'm interested to see how this changes. . . Kazuki doing amazing today, it would be cool to see him on here, but I think Ratking being back might make it so there isn't any room.

Anyone want to be brave and guess a list for people to criticize?

The Jizzard

Smash Journeyman
Lol timmy I didnt throw my controller. It was my water bottle. And I felt like I was making dumb mistakes and that I could have played better. But no hard feelings I was just outplayed

:phone:

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
PR Opinion after Best Bout 16

1) Eggz - Hillsboro :foxmelee: :mariomelee:

2) FoosJr - Salem :sheikmelee:

3) Ratking - Portland :foxmelee:

4) Binx - Portland :icsmelee:

5) Alien - Beaverton :falconmelee: :roymelee:

6) Bird - Corvallis :falcomelee: :nessmelee:

7) Jizzard - West Linn :falcomelee:

8) Ryan - Portland :jigglypuffmelee: :falcomelee:

9) Adam - Eugene :foxmelee: :falconmelee:

10) Yuki - Corvallis :foxmelee:

Honorable Mention: Brick - Corvallis :jigglypuffmelee:

Up and Coming: Purpletuce - Corvallis :yoshimelee:

Reasoning: Eggz, FoosJr, and Ratking are pretty self explanatory for me. From playing them it is clear they are the top performers in Oregon. Next comes Binx, who despite losing to Yuki I think still deserves the 4th spot.

Now it gets really hard to place everyone in my opinion. I think that Bird and I should be next as evidenced by our strong showings. I would put ****ard after us because he always gives me a run for my money, and he beat Bird in a money match after the tournament.

Ryan at 8 makes sense.

Adam has been doing very well, I don't remember who he lost to at this Best Bout but I still think he should be next at number 9. Then I would put Yuki at 10 due to his very strong showing.

Critique me bros.

The Jizzard

Smash Journeyman
This last spot is tough for me. I didn't play Ryan in tournament so I can only really judge Yuki and Adam. Adam has been doing very well, I don't remember who he lost to at this Best Bout but I still think he should be next at number 9. Then I would put Yuki at 10 due to his very strong showing. I could be way off but I think taking Ryan off the PR is the only way to make it accurate.

Critique me bros.
he lost to ryan lol

i think ryan is better than brick. and adam

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
OK well that makes the PR more difficult to make. Maybe Ryan at 9, Yuki at 10, Adam at Honorable Mention? I don't know this is too hard.

FoosJr

Smash Ace
1) Eggz
2) FoosJr
3) Ratking
4) Binx
5) Bird
6) Alien
7) Kazuki
8) Ryan
9) Adam
10) ****ard

Alright so first things first removed brick from the pr due to inactivity honestly can't remember the last time he's been to an Oregon tournament.

Put Ratking at 3rd Dudes still good, takes a break for a few months comes back takes me to game 5 props my man.

Put Binx at 4th I know he lost to Kazuki this time which means he placed lower than Bird and Alien, but at the same time that's the first tournament in 5 months that Binx attended where he placed lower than them.

Bird and Alien stayed where they were just knocked down once because I put Ratking up.

Kazuki at 7th HOLY **** he did crazy good this tournament, I would love to see you come to more tourneys and pull some more upsets.

Ryan at 8th he's been preforming better than Adam and ****ard. I think at the tournament earlier that Ryan and Adam tied? Could be wrong but either way I know he beat him in tournament.

Adam at 9th the kids good and getting better for sure, only issue is that everyone else is getting better too.

****ard for 10th, dude you suck get better. But srsly though, I was hoping that you'd pull off another top 5 at this one especially because pretty much all of Oregon melee was in attendance. You'll get up there someday my friend, I believe in you bro.

The Jizzard

Smash Journeyman
what are the policies on entering the PR? i agree yuki did really good but it seems he rarely shows up to tournaments so it seems a little farfetched for him to put so high after one performance.

i know he is good. just wondering

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
I edited my post to move Brick to honorable mention and put Ryan on the PR. Who eliminated you from losers ****ard?

Edit: @****ard: Yeah that's why I put Yuki at 10. Great performance but no solid past results.

Edit2: That wasn't meant to be mean, I actually forgot who beat you lol.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Inactivity makes everything really hard. I would say in terms of recent Oregon activity in tourney, Ratking Brick and Cmin and Kazuki are in a 4 way tie for 1 recent tourney, but all with good results.

I find it very difficult to rank people, because I can contradict every list. . . so this will be my random gut feelings:

Shane
Foos
Binx
Alien/Bird
Ryan/Ben/Adam
----
Everyone else is a tossup/not certain if they plan on playing. . .

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
Just some observations. I am approaching this game totally differently than previously, and thus far to awesome results in the last few weeks. This approach means distancing myself from these sorts of discussions, and focusing on what really matters. With that said...

I dunno if the sudden placement of myself so high is warranted. If these are just speculative lists for an update further in the future, assuming such performance can be maintained, then I can't complain; however always think REAL hard when deciding to move a player so far through the rankings. I can't deny the placement feels good; I actually think the break did me well, I feel like I am playing better than I ever have, ever, and the means by which I think about the game has hit a level of understanding previously unfathomable by myself.

For what really matters...

****ard: You need to play like you did when we went to Adam's the other night to warrant some kind of 7-5 placement. I think you're easily top 5 in Oregon, if you play like that. I had to pretend like I was hustling you, just to make you think I wasn't just losing... The thing is, you were just losing today. You need to figure out how to get a hold of your own ability, and then you will easily be a top 5 contender. Until that happens, it's hard to think of you anymore than 10 or 9. Not because you're not good, but because you're not good when you need to be good.

Yuki: Dude was filthy today. Can he do it again? I'd like to see it. Last time I saw him play was AGES ago, and today I saw some things that reminded me of that time, which make me refrain from jumping on his bandwagon. Dude plays way smarter, and actually utilizes that "tech skill" that helped him garner his name "techzuki." However, he seems to have some "robotic" moments left in him. If he can get rid of this, and be more patient, like I saw him do a few times today, dude will be destroying the PR soon. I think at best a #10 spot is a valid first time entrance to the PR.

Ryan/Bird and Allen: Not sure where I would place them, but I feel like Ryan is a step above Bird. Bird has a commanding technical understanding of the game, but Ryan... Maybe for me it's just ultimately the match up, but Ryan makes me think constantly waaaaay more than most any player. I'd put him a step above Bird, but that's perhaps a MU bias. Allen to me seems to be a pretty clear stride ahead of the two of them though. Not by much, but he seems to have pretty incredible control of his character (this means placing moves really well. Connecting with them, and spacing them phenomenally), and knows what he should be doing. Just seems to get baited too often.

Adam: Everyone is pretty spot on, on this one. I don't really know who Adam is. I just played him for the first time this week (I think?). Dude is definitely good. I got the vibe that he plays a lot of characters. Saw a lot of falcon though. Perhaps should stick with Falcon though. Dude has a clear understanding of what falcon should be doing above any of the others I saw. I just don't feel the same kind of pressure, and inability to move as I do when playing Allen or someone else. Eugene was laughable at best when I stopped just a mere few months ago though, and if this is what they have to show for the last few months... Oregon look out.

Logan seems like a solid bet for up and coming, but really, there's a TON of up and comers I saw today. The thing is, everyone of them excels in an area I feel like the other doesn't. If these people could all combine, they'd probably make for one super solid player.

Anyway, lists are looking tight. Oregon is getting crazy. Washington was crazy last weekend. Northwest is seeming pretty competitive. Good **** everyone.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
So. . . are you trying to get into playing more? Will you continue to play if you lose to Nolan?

Kazuki has been focusing on school lately, hopefully he will have a more open schedule this upcoming winter term. . .

Ratking, who else do you think is up and coming and why? I think those players would really like that validation. . .

FoosJr

Smash Ace
Ratking your high placement on my list doesn't seem so sudden to me, you've been to tournaments earlier in the year and have been 3rd on it before only reason you weren't on the last update is because you were taking a break/traveling. You definitely deserve 3rd imo, on kazuki's placement for my list maybe 7th seems good to me he beat binx, ****ard, and a lot of other good players yesterday. With that being said maybe putting him at 7th now with no other past results is a bit much, so I'd put him down at 10 and bump everyone else up once.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
So. . . are you trying to get into playing more? Will you continue to play if you lose to Nolan?

Kazuki has been focusing on school lately, hopefully he will have a more open schedule this upcoming winter term. . .

Ratking, who else do you think is up and coming and why? I think those players would really like that validation. . .

I make zero promises on whether I am going to "get into playing more" or not. Right now the best path to improvement has been not really focusing on what I am going to do with the game at all, and it seems pretty chill to me (like I said before, I think I am playing probably better than I EVER have, and I haven't played the last 5 or 6 months really). So I am going to say "I don't know," for the sake of continuing such improvement, and not making a commitment to anything, because I am fickle.

Rofl, I never quit as a direct result of losing to Brick. That tournament I realized, and it was more people than just brick, that if people that play the game in Oregon, are potentially going to piss me off, I just needed to not be doing it. It wasn't just Brick, and it wasn't really necessarily related in any way to physical game play why I stopped before. It was the quality of human interactions I was forced to endure to try to play. Those interactions still exist, but some of what I said in the previous paragraph, thus far has made tolerating such a lot easier, and making the game more fun.

Ultimately, I am only really playing for fun again. That's why I started to play again. There isn't a game like this one; and I really wanted to waveland, and edge cancel some ****.

Yeah, I'd love to see him come more. Not saying he's not good by throwing him into the #10 spot, he very well is better than that, I just want to see him play more, and come play with everyone up here more. If he came and did the same, or even a little worse, It'd warrant a move to #7 or #8.

Who else is an up and comer? Let me think of proper ways to explain why, instead of a list of names. Not in the mood to do that right now though.

Foos: Alright, so long as it's all cool with you. I ultimately don't really care, and don't know when you're all updating, but you rationale seems cool.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Wait, people play this game for reasons other than fun? Sounds really silly. In that case I'm glad you're having fun again, and I hope you continue to do so. When I was saying you should name some up and comers, I was thinking that some of those players would like to hear from a more distinguished member of the Oregon scene, like Foos/Ratking/Binx etc some recognition. As in, shoutouts to Jarod, his edgeguard consistency is amazing.

Also, what about Trebor?

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
@Ratking: Paul and Ryan have polar opposite play styles from what I have seen, that might be part of the reason you have a harder time against Ryan. You are very good at baiting out unsafe approaches and punishing them, and Paul's style is very aggressive.

They are undoubtedly close in terms of skill level, I would put Paul higher due to the fact that he placed higher and beat Ryan in tournament.

Binx

Smash Master
Ya everyones lists look pretty solid, Yuki ****ed me up in our set, he went fast and hard with shines and I didn't have any room to make the mistakes I made, very quick 2-0. I need to really study some things before next best bout and close some of my openings, oregon scene is getting too good.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Why do people keep going to placing in the most recent tournament? I know those concrete numbers are easy to use, but they aren't a very good gauge of skill. . . especially past like top 3. For example, my bracket I beat 2 new people and Wad, but lost to Allen and Kyle. So anyone who Loses to Allen but beats Wad would have gotten my position, which is a sizeable chunk of players relative to the size of our scene. As more and more tourneys play out, average results will start to show who is better, but our players are always changing, getting better, etc. I think the results should be focused more on a set basis, as in "I put y above x because he beat z players and also beat x in a head to head."

The only problem is you have to weigh out different wins, because sometimes it isn't linear. Confusing.

Binx

Smash Master
I dont know about everyone else but I gauge ranking based on how I SEE people playing when I watch them, or how they feel when I play them. The concrete placements at the end of a tournament doesn't really factor in unless you got first or second place.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
I like to do similarly, but since my main is Yoshi, I have to base things more relative to watching other players play, because the PR based on how I play against other people is completely different than the actual PR. . .

FoosJr

Smash Ace
1) Eggz
2) FoosJr
3) Ratking
4) Binx
5) Bird
6) Alien
7) Ryan
8) Adam
9) ****ard
10) Kazuki

So does this list look ok to everyone then?

Top Bottom