• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oregon Power Rankings: Updated 02/04/08

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balloon

Smash Lord
Why except MCS because he's obviously first? That doesn't make sense Binx. He's not Oregon's Isai or Ken.

Anyway, I agree that you should have to stay active to stay on the list, but like I said, Milk has been just as active as many of the players on the list. It's not going to be, and we discussed this already, a short span of time in order to be deemed "active".

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Not to mention that would be unfair to some people, Binx. It was never agreed that these Portland biweeklies would be power ranking sanctioned. If I would have known that I would have a special effort to try to come. As far as I know the next PR sanctioned event is SF:E Winter, anyone on the PR who doesn't go to that, I think, should be considered for a lower rank But at least I am warned a good couple months in advance that SF:E is PR sanctioned.

BC-Chris

Smash Journeyman
i dont like the power rankings that much- makes me not wanna try so much and wash. pr is alot better plus accurateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

joshisrad

Smash Lord
"i dont like the power rankings" "pr is alot better plus accurateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!"

Your guess is as good as mine. But I think he was trying to say he won't shower until something is changed. See..

"that much- makes me not wanna try so much and wash."

cmin

Smash Ace
my want for being a panelist is over. someone can take over. i've just lost interest in Smash pretty much and i dont want to be responsible for things anymore so i'm backing down. My interest in smash is dwindling down to a dark abyss of an astronomically small value, due to other rising factors of interest which i wont say. but **** i'm almost 70 and screw smash. i might check the boards once in a while if i'm not busy studying or something. peace out you little bean sprouts of oregon

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
What are we going to do without Cmin?

Please tell me you'll at least make it to SF:E. :(

brdy_

Smash Lord
What are the chances of me getting on this list if I become active again? I'll be attending SFE Winter as well as Dan 2.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
Yeah, but I don't money match man.

And nobody in Oregon plays Peach very often, so you may well get on.

Balloon

Smash Lord
Binx, it's not "my PR". The panelists discussed it, I put it up. What's so hard to understand about this, honestly?

About what the PR is based off of: I said it was based off the past two tournaments when it was originally posted. At that time, The Finger Bang hadn't happened yet. After it happened, it was included in what we discussed over. It's not "just when you ask about Milk" because otherwise the bottom five wouldn't even be on there. It's whenever you ask me about anybody else that attended only The Finger Bang.

The PR doesn't lack any relevant data. I assumed and am still assuming that people can recognize that it's not going to be much more accurate until a few more tournaments have happened. I'm sure you have the capacity for that, Binx. The PR doesn't claim to be extremely accurate yet, and I haven't claimed it to be either. I've said on multiple occasions that I believe Tommy should be up there, but with the system we're using, he just can't be put up yet.

Regarding "regular updates": Look at other PRs. They don't "regularly update". We don't need to do that.

jankerrific

Smash Journeyman
yea regular updates are ****. every week you would have to deal with people crying over thier placement in a < 10 person tournament. portland kombat and eugene weeklies shouldnt count for pr if the attendence is small and there are not prs there to take part.

binx what exactly is missing from our pr information? im too lazy to check but im willing to bet washington does not have information posted for every single get together they have for every week and use that to update the pr every 2 days. yea ok... lets save the panelists some trouble and let them see who performs well at real tournaments.

Balloon

Smash Lord
If anything, Binx, PK and Eugene weeklies should be preparation for the tournaments that matter, and I know I wouldn't want my preparation get togethers, that is, the ones that I'm trying new **** and seeing what works etc., to count for the PR.

Besides all that, though, Eugene weeklies aren't ever even tournaments. They're like 6 people playing smash for a few hours.

jankerrific

Smash Journeyman
so i dont know if my eyes are crazy or what, but it really seems like oregon is making massive improvements lately. go team!

Binx

Smash Master
pks turnout was pretty good, and i think everyone there besides myself and reno were top 15, so i think some things should be discussed.
This is why i brought it up

Not to mention that would be unfair to some people, Binx. It was never agreed that these Portland biweeklies would be power ranking sanctioned. If I would have known that I would have a special effort to try to come. As far as I know the next PR sanctioned event is SF:E Winter, anyone on the PR who doesn't go to that, I think, should be considered for a lower rank But at least I am warned a good couple months in advance that SF:E is PR sanctioned.
I don't remember agreeing to SFE being a sanctioned event, in fact I thought all/none of our events were sanctioned.

Seriously though thats why I bring this up because no one knows that most of our players who are on the power ranking attend and are improving. Everyone who has been coming to these has been getting better each one, it is a real tournament, for it to count on the PR would I just have to raise the entry fee to $10? no.

Dan 2 should matter, but that's definitely something to discuss.

Milk has been to one of the last three tournaments that we've based this on, and so have many of the other players on there. He's going to SF:E Winter for sure, so that will help with his positioning.

Nobody mentioned anything to me yet about PK being a part of this PR, but it would make sense if you're getting decent turnout.
We are getting a pretty decent turn out and thanks for the dan support.

I just don't agree with the PR list but I guess it will change after SFE, I just don't think it should be the way it is for as long as it has been but thats my opinion, I am not demanding that it be changed I am just saying it and seeing if anyone agrees with me, apparently not, so not a big deal.

@ Jayce I am not saying to update it every week but because it is SO new small tournaments should count to keep interest in it up until we have a more stable list. We dont have good tournouts for any tournaments in Oregon, our absolute biggest ones are only 20-30 people, PK is getting 8-12 people the most recent ones had out of staters and it had Jesse, Russel, myself, Gage, 1 panelist and 4 ranked players.

The reason I say yours is because I have talked with Jesse and Minh about it and neither of them seem to think that certain people deserve to be at certain places in the list also Timmy, Tommy, Gage have talked with me about it as well.

So once again I'll state my agreements and qualms with the PR list I'll just quit voicing my opinion on the PR after this since I guess it doesn't count.

1. MCS (Marth)
He is the best in Oregon there is no disputing, I agree.
2. Balloon (C. Falcon) / Juce (Fox)
Silent Wolf and Eggz both said having 2 ties for 2nd looked bad and both said that they think Bart is better
3. Balloon (C. Falcon) / Juce (Fox)
^
4. Lucius (C. Falcon)
He consistently places well and he is good.
5. t!mmy (Kirby)
been around a long time I think him and minh should switch places since they lose to the same people but Minh consistently beats Timmy in tournament play.
6. Cmin (Falco, Marth)
^
7. Milk (Sheik)
from here down is where it is harder to define places, so Milk is one place lower than Minh presumably because in his and Minh's "gay" match Minh didn't win by much? So I am assuming he did really well at SFE? who did he beat, i've just never heard of him, he doesn't seem active and I have a hard time believing he is better than Tudios.
8. Tudios (Pikachu)

9. Shin (Ganondorf)

10. OC George (Fox)

11. FoosJR (Sheik)

12. Binx (Ice Climbers)

13. Joshisrad (Sheik, Mewtwo?)

14. Peach Masta (Peach, Jigglypuff)

15. Duke (Sheik)

The rest of this is fine I guess except for the fact that Tommy isn't above or right below tudios or at the very least above me, also from what I have seen I would say Gage is a more solid player than Joshisrad, although he is teh pwnzor in DDR.

jankerrific

Smash Journeyman
as far as activity goes i think if mcs, milk and george do not show to the next big tournament they should be dropped from the pr.

Binx

Smash Master
MCS played at OSU III though, I think a three strikes and your out view would be better, miss 3 big tournies in a row and your not on the PR, but then it still is kind of silly to have him jump back up to first again the next time there is an OSU tournament, there has to be a better way.

jankerrific

Smash Journeyman
if he does show up for the next big tournament and does get first, places very high he probably shouldnt move from first. but he is not in to the smash scene much anymore so whatever.

on a side not i really wanna smash today, but everyone around me is working or has school. justin leave work now and lets play

joshisrad

Smash Lord
"also from what I have seen I would say Gage is a more solid player than Joshisrad, although he is teh pwnzor in DDR."

So is it Gage, then, who consistently takes down your ICs with his Sheik, much to your frustration?

You obviously haven't seen me play anyone but perhaps George(FOX) at TFB.

Moreover, a three strike system would be completely irrational.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I don't think we have to worry too much about taking people off the PR list due to missing tournaments. Players who are on the PR List will likely be showing up to tournaments at least frequently enough to display their current skill level and most likely more often than that.

And since the idea is to motivate people into attending more tournaments, we shouldn't be dropping them if they miss one or two. Dropping people from the PR list would be if they announce a hiatus, request to be removed, or haven't been seen nor heard from in a large period of time (6+ months).

If you want to have a more accurate list and add the motivational element, asserting a minimum number of tournaments attended before being added to the PR list is a better way of doing it. Since we don't have big tournaments every week to choose from like SoCal, keeping the minimum low would be a good idea, like two, or three tops.

Climax11

Smash Ace
Hm. Maybe there should be a set number for attendies for the event to be considered PR Sanctioned?

Something like:
(8/10/12/15?) people must (participate in the tournament/show up to the event?), of which atleast one must be (PR List/PR Panelist?)

And if you're on the PR List but you're not active then there should be some rules. Lets say mr MCS owns right (this is just an example person as he's #1), maybe he should have to be at an event atleast once every (3 months/3 PR Sanctioned Events?) or his spot is automatically up for reconsideration based on the inactivity.

I mean, I grasp it's a Power Ranking list, and it's main purpouse is to show who's the best at the actual game, but people are constantly improving, and #1 comes, claims his spot, and then flutters off for months, leaving the position untouchable, then the list will suffer. And without constant rules, not only will the list suffer, but it'll start to lose drastic credability that it's barely starting to establish.

I don't know, that's my two cents. Thoughts?

T0MMY

Smash Master
I just don't agree with the PR list but I guess it will change after SFE, I just don't think it should be the way it is for as long as it has been but thats my opinion
Agreed.
It'd be better to have Panelists discussing the events (even the weeklies) and a more dynamic list. I mean, I attended a PR-sanctioned event, placed in the top 10 and still absent from the list. If there were problems retrieving the information from that tournament that's where the Panelists step in and patch things up. Just one person selecting which tournaments are "sanctioned" might not be an accurate representation.

@ Jayce I am not saying to update it every week
If done properly, it most likely doesn't need to be updated so often, however I think there should be updates on the weeklies maybe foreshadowing how the players will be moving up/down on the list in the major tournaments.

MCS played at OSU III though, I think a three strikes and your out view would be better, miss 3 big tournies in a row and your not on the PR, but then it still is kind of silly to have him jump back up to first again the next time there is an OSU tournament, there has to be a better way.
Not a good idea about the three strikes out, there could theoretically be three big tournaments within a month, and it wouldn't be too uncommon to have someone out of town for a month and miss all three of them, thereby taking them off the list. Especially if they're doing OoS smashing and doing well there.

Right.

Get to discussing, panelists.
(waits)...

Minh: It really makes me sad to hear you're probably going to be out of the Smash scene. Smash events are the only times I really see you. If anything I'll have the good memories of traveling down to Corvallis with you from Portland the last time. I had a great time in Portland and you were so nice helping us get back to Eugene, it was a lot of fun going to burger joints and pretending we were Alaskan X^D
I'll just hope you return someday, if anything, for Brawl.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Hm. Maybe there should be a set number for attendies for the event to be considered PR Sanctioned?

I don't know, that's my two cents. Thoughts?
Disagree. An event that has people on the PRL (especially if there are Panelists there) should not have much of a minimum amount of attendies. It's about the content of the information gathered. Obviously a 2-man bracket isn't going to give us much more information than "Shin beat Tudios last Friday in the two-man tourney, omg!"
The deciding factor is if there is a bracket created, and enforced by money being put on the line. 5 or 6 locals playing in a weekly will show the Panelists how the players do in a local setting.

The PRL should reflect:
1)How players do in a particular matchups amongst the local crowds (local as in OR) - Round Robin events are the best indication of this.
2)How players do in matchups against OoS players.
3)Tournament standings

The way I see, it's almost like we need a few sub-lists, so (example) someone from California could see that Minh destroyed everyone in CA, but doesn't do well in OR, instead of just seeing him as a low-ranking OR player (end example, he's obviously not a low-ranking OR player)

Binx

Smash Master
I know my post looks like I was saying I wanted a three strike thing, I don't, I was just saying *if* it was going to be done like Jayce suggested then thats how you would do it, I think after a certain ammount of inactivity you should drop a number of places, like 5 for every 3 months or so and after 9 months you would no longer be on the list would be fine.

@ Josh - This was before I knew how to play Ice Climbers, they are very difficult to learn and I didn't know how to control them, I am far better now, both as a player and as an Ice Climber player. MM? my ICs vs your anything but Peach?

@ Guy - I like your idea have it be at least 10 people and have at least one panelist present, which is another reason to have a panelist from each region.

also I feel that the discussion on who is where and why should be posted here either a copy of the AIM transcript or directly posted on the boards so the community can have a say as well.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Instead of basing it on tournament attendance, what about just letting the panelists do their job? I mean, panelists are players that are active in the competitive scene and have a good idea of players' skill levels, so it shouldn't matter so much about tournaments as much as how you perform at said tournament - especially with one or more panelists present.

Edit:
Challenges/Money Matches really should be made in the OSM thread. Y/N?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom