• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Andy wouldn't charge his power meter like Cloud. It would be like Little Mac where his meter increases the more damage he takes and inflicts.

It would also take a while before he'd be able to use Hyper Repair and it would take much longer for him to get to six stars and use Hyper Upgrade. With that, most players would opt to get as many 20% damage reductions they can get through Hyper Repair rather than having to wait a long time for Hyper Upgrade's 50% damage reduction & stats increase unless the player is very patient.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
The other issue with the CO power as a Smash Ball is...well....it's a massive let down. Even as far as 'empowering' FSes go he doesn't really have a hype transformation to go with it. The only comparable one for healing is Peach who's FS is also super disappointing, and even then hers actually puts people to sleep which leads to free kills.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm actually moderately happy with the want scores Andy has been getting.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I'm actually moderately happy with the want scores Andy has been getting.
I swear I'm posting my writeup some time. It's coming...

EDIT: and by writeup I just mean a more specific moveset idea. Nothing close to what you did.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I swear I'm posting my writeup some time. It's coming...

EDIT: and by writeup I just mean a more specific moveset idea. Nothing close to what you did.
Yeah, just make sure to post your rating on the RTC thread before the day ends.

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
Andy wouldn't charge his power meter like Cloud. It would be like Little Mac where his meter increases the more damage he takes and inflicts.

It would also take a while before he'd be able to use Hyper Repair and it would take much longer for him to get to six stars and use Hyper Upgrade. With that, most players would opt to get as many 20% damage reductions they can get through Hyper Repair rather than having to wait a long time for Hyper Upgrade's 50% damage reduction & stats increase unless the player is very patient.
Well in your last post you said they would "camp and spam" it.
So I had the impression it would have either a manual or over-time component to its charge.

Both of which made Cloud very frustrating for those who wanted to play super defensive and just work on getting the stat boosts.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Dammit, I forgot to invclude my FS idea in the RCT thread.

Anyway, my idea for the FS is to have him do his Hyper Upgrade, this time with the screen wipe from the games, followed by a bunch of the other CO's having their CO Power screen wipes flash across as they add their support, resulting in a lot of their units around the stage firing off blasts and hitting things while Andy is even more upgraded than usual thanks to their help. Or if having them all actually be on the stage is too much (particularly performance wise) then instead there's a bunch in the background firing off and random blasts appear around the stage.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well in your last post you said they would "camp and spam" it.
So I had the impression it would have either a manual or over-time component to its charge.

Both of which made Cloud very frustrating for those who wanted to play super defensive and just work on getting the stat boosts.
Yeah when I said that I was half-joking player's that players will want to milk as many Hyper Repairs as they could possibly get instead of waiting for Hyper Upgrade's. They would still have to manually wait for the Power Meter to charge like in Advance Wars.

And personally if i'm playing as Andy I want to milk as many 20% damage reductions as I can in battle. Though I can see some players; even some competitive ones opting for waiting a long time to get a 50% damage reduction and a stats increase to completely turn the tide in battle.

Makes for interesting scenarios huh?

Last edited:

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
Seems like a temporary Monado (with no decreased stats) and a heal in exchange for a charge meter.
I see the idea's potential but I still prefer it as a final smash personally.

I guess it isn't easy to say if I really like it without seeing a full move-set with it or how it plays out. I just want to avoid things like the nightmare Cloud caused especially since he was both high tier and popular.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Amid my huge write up on Andy in the RTC thread I almost forgot about Fanart of the day lol.

Today's fanart of the day titled "Tank Business" features CO's Andy, Lash, Sonja, and Colin riding their tanks in what appears to be a desert. Done by Deviantart user Stonechimes

Looks like Andy really pissed off Lash for some reason :confused:. Colin seems to have messed up and Sonja's thinking what these goofballs are doing lol.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Looks like Andy really pissed off Lash for some reason :confused:. Colin seems to have messed up and Sonja's thinking what these goofballs are doing lol.
It's pretty clear, Andy's turned right, cutting across Lash's lane (apparently they're Australian) to turn off Desert Rd onto Grassy St, cutting her off. Lash is ritghtfully pissed, as Andy's reckless driving nearly lead to a collision, or should I saw Colin-sion, as it's clear that Colin, a young driver and overly-cautious driver, was spooked by the potential for a crash and made to swerve out of the way a bit too entusiastically. Luckily Desert Rd lacks much traffic and is a fairly wide thoroughfare. While Colin's recovering from his panic, Lash is having ago at Andy while he brushes her off for having a stick up her arse as 'clearly the issue was with the inexperienced driver and everything worked out fine anyway so who cares'. Sonja sees the commontion and decides not to take her usual route down Desert Rd, opting to keep straight on Dune Bvd until the next junction so as to avoid losing time.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It's pretty clear, Andy's turned right, cutting across Lash's lane (apparently they're Australian) to turn off Desert Rd onto Grassy St, cutting her off. Lash is ritghtfully pissed, as Andy's reckless driving nearly lead to a collision, or should I saw Colin-sion, as it's clear that Colin, a young driver and overly-cautious driver, was spooked by the potential for a crash and made to swerve out of the way a bit too entusiastically. Luckily Desert Rd lacks much traffic and is a fairly wide thoroughfare. While Colin's recovering from his panic, Lash is having ago at Andy while he brushes her off for having a stick up her arse as 'clearly the issue was with the inexperienced driver and everything worked out fine anyway so who cares'. Sonja sees the commontion and decides not to take her usual route, opting to keep straight until the next junction so as to avoid losing time.
Now that's a world class analysis if i've ever seen one.

Give this man a round of applause.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Mate I see this once a week. Brisbane drivers are ****.
Where I live in the Greater Toronto Area, it doesn't get much better. Some people are just really dumb I guess.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Too many damn Megatanks!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Today's fanart of the day has been officially hijacked by RidleyBoards.

That's right. Ridley is an honorary Advance Wars character today.

Granite Countertop

Smash Rookie
I'm gonna be greedy and hope for both Andy and Sami. This probably won't happen, but I can dream.

I'm not completely opposed to Andy, but Sami seems like the more fitting character.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm gonna be greedy and hope for both Andy and Sami. This probably won't happen, but I can dream.

I'm not completely opposed to Andy, but Sami seems like the more fitting character.
I always hear this from some people but this argument has little to no merit. People always bring up how Sami has military experience and they argue Andy can't be in the game because of that. It's total bogus. If Andy were a CO in the Orange Star Army he would have to have some degree of training.

Lets not even pretend being a "fighter" is a pre-requisite to Smash. :4villager::4wiifit:

I also hate it when people try to pretend that Sami or even Max are of equal importance to Andy. It's just not true. Max and Sami are secondary characters where as Andy is the main character of the GBA titles (less so 2 but absolutely 1).

That being said I think Sami would make for a good Snake semi-clone if she were to be added alongside Andy.

Last edited:

Granite Countertop

Smash Rookie
Not saying you're wrong about anything, just asking what you mean exactly.
"Fitting" as far as satisfying what fans have been craving, such as

1) Some fans want more female characters. (I personally have no issues with this claim).
2) She would make a great Snake semi-clone. This would be great for fans who miss his moveset.
3) More popular than Andy. As a character, I've seen that most people like Sami better.

Just to name a few. Now of course, what fans consider fitting and what the devs consider fitting are two totally different things. I fully recognize that. After all, Andy is probably the mascot of the series.

I always hear this from some people but this argument has little to no merit. People always bring up how Sami has military experience and they argue Andy can't be in the game because of that.
Lets not even pretend being a "fighter" is a pre-requisite to Smash. :4villager::4wiifit:
I get what you're saying but I personally have not said Andy can't be in the game at all because of that. I stated that Sami would be more "fitting" (for the reasons I stated above).

I also hate it when people try to pretend that Sami or even Max are of equal importance to Andy. It's just not true. Max and Sami are secondary characters where as Andy is the main character of the GBA titles (less so 2 but absolutely 1).
I never stated this either. I get that you're saying that these aspects are what should be taken into consideration rather than what I listed above, but I was not trying to argue that Sami is the most important to the franchise. That is why I said I wanted them both in the game. Andy's inclusion could open the door for Sami, or other AW characters.

That being said I think Sami would make for a good Snake semi-clone if she were to be added alongside Andy.
No arguments there. I'm big on newcomers being unique, but I wouldn't mind this at all. They could probably add just enough changes to make her new and a nice throwback to Snake.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
"Fitting" as far as satisfying what fans have been craving, such as

1) Some fans want more female characters. (I personally have no issues with this claim).
2) She would make a great Snake semi-clone. This would be great for fans who miss his moveset.
3) More popular than Andy. As a character, I've seen that most people like Sami better.
Being a female doesn't mean much when you're not the main character of your franchise. And as for her being more popular than Andy it's subjective. Most Advance Wars/Smash Bros related stuff has Andy as the most prominent character. Project M had Sami in the game but I think it was more to do with Sami being easier to make as a Snake semi-clone and a proper AW moveset not feasible for the PM team.

And honestly popularity won't do Sami anything when it comes to inclusion as I mentioned above. Falco might be more popular than Fox by some fans but there's no chance in hell Falco would get in before Fox. It's the same idea here.

I'm sure a lot of Wars fans wouldn't want to see a situation like that when the main character isn't even representing the series; myself included. If it's not Andy then make it a new AW protag if hell freezes over and we get a new game.
Just to name a few. Now of course, what fans consider fitting and what the devs consider fitting are two totally different things. I fully recognize that. After all, Andy is probably the mascot of the series.
I just don't see how Sami is more "fitting" when Andy is never stated to not have experience or is less of a CO compared to Sami. Hell the cover of AW1 has him riding a tank. What is the measuring stick exactly?

I never stated this either. I get that you're saying that these aspects are what should be taken into consideration rather than what I listed above, but I was not trying to argue that Sami is the most important to the franchise. That is why I said I wanted them both in the game. Andy's inclusion could open the door for Sami, or other AW characters.
That wasn't addressed at you. It was just me voicing my frustrations at the way people talk up these characters to be of equal importance to Andy.
No arguments there. I'm big on newcomers being unique, but I wouldn't mind this at all. They could probably add just enough changes to make her new and a nice throwback to Snake.
Yeah that would be a cool idea. I'd be totally down for them to both get in the game even if it was unlikely.

I hope i'm not coming across as rude here (I tend to get pretty passionate when it comes to these things lol) but I just have a major issue with Andy not being the 1st Wars representative in Smash Bros and for that matter Wars not being represented by a main character.

Can I add you to the support list?

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
No worries.

I'll support Andy.

Wouldn't mind seeing a tank involved in his Final Smash.
Thanks man! Welcome to the club! Or should I say the Orange Star Army :)

Yeah I had an idea of Andy using a Megatank as a Final Smash though i'm debating if maybe an all out airstrike would be a better option. Like Andy floods the stage with Bombers and Fighters.

Do you have any in mind? We all threw our guesses as to what his Final Smash could be.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
  1. Nintendo has so many amazing and high profile female characters (including from the Wars games mind you) that I hope we're not getting to the point of adding a different character for the sake of being a girl. I support more female fighters, Lyn and Elma are in my top 10 newcomers, and Daisy could substitute Waluigi in my top 10 if I wasn't a particularly lanky guy and therefore personally played him more, so I wouldn't mind (though we also need more villains).
  2. I'd much rather an AW rep be using their own AW moveset. To me that means summoning different units to fight for them but that's just my opinion, to others it means manning the Tank, using the Rocket Launcher and rifles themself. Regardless, as much as I'd be excited to see the series make a comeback I'd be heartbroken for them to not actually be repping the game in anything other than their appearance. That's why Sami is my solid 2nd choice.
  3. That's personal preference which is fair, but I'm not sure that she's actually that much more popular to not choose the Main Character of the game.

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
Well I'm back.
I just found the "Ridleyboards" a bit hard to follow when I use people's profile pics to easily distinguish who is saying what.

Ura Ura Amusing to see your new profile picture.
Looks like Andy drawn by a grade-schooler. (Or someone like me who CAN NOT draw...)

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Well I'm back.
I just found the "Ridleyboards" a bit hard to follow when I use people's profile pics to easily distinguish who is saying what.
Yup, I'm kind of annoyed actually because I think i've lost track of multiple threads I was following and now won't be notified of new posts. I'm going to have to dig through the notifications to tell what I have and haven't seen.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Now that i've reclaimed Fanart of the day from RidleyBoards, it's time to move on to the next FotD. Today is a special feature as it features papercraft Advance Wars units throughout the entire series. Done by user ninjatoespapercraft

Just looking at that makes me really wish we got an official release something among those lines. Even something like that for an Amiibo. I don't buy Amiibo's but I would go crazy for something like that.
Well I'm back.

Ura Ura Amusing to see your new profile picture.
Looks like Andy drawn by a grade-schooler. (Or someone like me who CAN NOT draw...)
Yeah I found it particularly annoying to look at given how big (lol no pun intended) and zoomed in everything was.

TBH this drawing is better than anything I can do lol.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Now that i've reclaimed Fanart of the day from RidleyBoards, it's time to move on to the next FotD. Today is a special feature as it features papercraft Advance Wars units throughout the entire series. Done by user ninjatoespapercraft

Just looking at that makes me really wish we got an official release something among those lines. Even something like that for an Amiibo. I don't buy Amiibo's but I would go crazy for something like that.

Yeah I found it particularly annoying to look at given how big (lol no pun intended) and zoomed in everything was.

TBH this drawing is better than anything I can do lol.
Now that looks cool.

They look almost like the actual vehicles from the game.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So I had a thought about the "Academy" idea a new Advance Wars game could have.

I was thinking of a way to implement all those things Intelligent Systems talked about while keeping the setting in Wars World.

What if the next Advance Wars game took place a one generation after AW1-3? Like 20 years post Dual Strike?

So in the game we get to see what happens to everyone after the game. We get to see the child of Eagle/Sami, Jake/Sasha, and maybe even Max/Nell (or Grit/Nell).

And in addition to that we could see Andy, now in his mid-30's in a mentor role to the next generation of CO's or something. He could have a "Brenner" type role of being the experienced veteran opposite to the main character of the game.

Does that sound a bit too weird? I think it's a pretty interesting idea.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
It's certainly a way of referencing/keeping old characters around while moving on to a fresh cast.

Also Ura Ura , any chance my moveset could be added to the OP as an alternative?

Notes: All summoned units can be destroyed with varying amounts of damage (essentially removing hitboxes). All other moves (using wrenches) charge a "CO meter" with their damage.

Jab: 1-2 swipes with his wrenches, followed by a rapid twirling of it in front of him, similar to Dedede's without the range.

Side Tilt: Andy hurls a wrench straight ahead, then searches his pocket for a new one. Weak damage, mostly chip and building meter without committing, but punishable with it's end lag.

Up Tilt: Andy does his signature happy pose, thrusting both fists into the air above his head, grinning from ear to ear. Sweeps opponents up but mostly a juggling move.

Down Tilt: A simple low swipe. Just for keeping approaches honest.

Neutral Air: Andy summons Fighters, that swirl around him. A bit of a 'get off me' move.

Forward Air: A heavy swing downwards with his wrench with both hands. Has a spike.

Up Air: Twirls two wrenches above his head, again similar to Dedede with less range.

Back Air: Andy summons a Stealth that he sends straight backwards behind him with a little range to it. Weak, a bit of a wall of pain but slower in exchange for higher range.

Down Air: Andy rolls in the air, swinging his wrenches underneath him, sending his opponents slightly behind him.

Forward Smash:
Andy summons a Battleship into a puddle slightly in front of him (this animation has a small water/windbox to it like Graninja's taunt). On release the Battleship releases a flurry of explosions, like Samus Up Smash but from bottom to top.

Up Smash:
Andy summons an Anti-Air slightly behind him, signalling for it to hold. On release he punches a very short distance forward to signal it to fire an explosive cloud above Andy's head. Doesn't sweep up from the front, instead just having a weak hit box on the fist. Does from the back, but Anti-Air can be destroyed from the back too. If fully charged the explosion will leave behind a flak cloud that does damage to those in it and has low knockback if it reaches a certain amount of damage.

Down Smash: Andy charges then on release summons a Bomber to fly over him from front to back, razing the ground as it goes, the ground explosions working as the hitboxes. If fully charged the explosions will leave behind napalm on the ground that does damage to those in it and has low knockback if it reaches a certain amount of damage.

Grab: Andy summons an Infantry and Mech to dive tackle slightly forward to hold the opponent.

Pummel: Stabbing/poking motion with the wrenches.

Forward Throw: Winds up to hit with the wrench like a baseball bat. Mech fires a rocket in followup for slightly more knockback. Not a kill throw until Mech rocket is Upgraded.

Up Throw: Grabs the opponent from his soldiers, struggling to hoist them above his head, crouches then straightens out and throws the opponent into the air. The Infantry fires in followup for damage. Not a kill throw.

Back Throw: Grabs the opponent by the lapels to swing them around and throw them backwards. Mech fires a rocket in followup for slightly more knockback. Not a kill throw until Mech rocket is Upgraded.

Down Throw: On command the soldiers throw the opponent to Andy's feet. Infantry fires at them for damage before Andy kicks them into the air. Not a kill throw.

Neutral Special: Hyper Repair/Hyper Upgrade: Andy charges his CO Stars by doing damage (only himself, not his units). If at 3 stars he can use Hyper Repair, posing to heal for 25%. If at 6 he'll use Hyper Upgrade, posing to heal for 50% and increasing the knockback and health of all of his summoned units. When used without enough Stars he'll pose, then grumpily throw his wrench in a longer ranged Forward Tilt for still minimal damage, only gaining range from the extra startup.

Side Special: Command ____: Andy takes out a radio, charging a unit in similar fashion to Pacman's Neutral B, displaying the current unit in a speech bubble from the radio, going from Recon to Light Tank, Medium Tank, Neotank, Mega Tank. This charge can be stored, and when released will summon the unit in front of Andy, moving forward and turning at ledges, faster at lower charge but much higher health at higher charge. Re-using side special causes the unit to fire an explosion in front of it, then disappear.

Up Special: Battle Copters: Andy summons a pair of Battle Helicopters above his head. If Up Special is pressed again he'll grab onto them for a fairly controlled recovery similar to Olimar and Villager, susceptible to having his Copters broken and going into free fall, if not they fly slightly upwards (approx. just above platform level) and then forwards firing diagonally downwards occasionally for flinching damage.

Down special: Artillery/Rocket Launcher: Summons an Artillery unit behind Andy that stays in place and starts charging up for a projectile attack. When fired this attack goes in a high (~platform and a half), short ranged arc with decent knockback. If done in an smash input then the Artillery will be replaced by a Rocket Launcher that takes longer to charge up, but travels slightly faster in a lower (not quite platform height) but much longer arc for the same knockback.

This moveset is basically to be a very good character at boxing out the opponent and preventing approaches, but has no kill options beyond the hard to hit off stage Forward Air spike or Down Special hits at quite high percentage, or a Smash attack that has the weakness of being preventable. That is unless he can manage to reach his second level of his Neutral Special, which largely requires him to get up close and attempt juggles outside of punishable, low damage pokes from an uncharged Neutral Special and Forward Tilt. Get in and he can have a hard time getting you back off and he's not too hard to kill, but he'll make that difficult until he can find an opportunity to get some good CO Meter charge, and sometimes he'll have to sacrifice his charge to stop you from getting the kill on him.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It's certainly a way of referencing/keeping old characters around while moving on to a fresh cast.

Also Ura Ura , any chance my moveset could be added to the OP as an alternative?

Notes: All summoned units can be destroyed with varying amounts of damage (essentially removing hitboxes). All other moves (using wrenches) charge a "CO meter" with their damage.

Jab: 1-2 swipes with his wrenches, followed by a rapid twirling of it in front of him, similar to Dedede's without the range.

Side Tilt: Andy hurls a wrench straight ahead, then searches his pocket for a new one. Weak damage, mostly chip and building meter without committing, but punishable with it's end lag.

Up Tilt: Andy does his signature happy pose, thrusting both fists into the air above his head, grinning from ear to ear. Sweeps opponents up but mostly a juggling move.

Down Tilt: A simple low swipe. Just for keeping approaches honest.

Neutral Air: Andy summons Fighters, that swirl around him. A bit of a 'get off me' move.

Forward Air: A heavy swing downwards with his wrench with both hands. Has a spike.

Up Air: Twirls two wrenches above his head, again similar to Dedede with less range.

Back Air: Andy summons a Stealth that he sends straight backwards behind him with a little range to it. Weak, a bit of a wall of pain but slower in exchange for higher range.

Down Air: Andy rolls in the air, swinging his wrenches underneath him, sending his opponents slightly behind him.

Forward Smash:
Andy summons a Battleship into a puddle slightly in front of him (this animation has a small water/windbox to it like Graninja's taunt). On release the Battleship releases a flurry of explosions, like Samus Up Smash but from bottom to top.

Up Smash:
Andy summons an Anti-Air slightly behind him, signalling for it to hold. On release he punches a very short distance forward to signal it to fire an explosive cloud above Andy's head. Doesn't sweep up from the front, instead just having a weak hit box on the fist. Does from the back, but Anti-Air can be destroyed from the back too. If fully charged the explosion will leave behind a flak cloud that does damage to those in it and has low knockback if it reaches a certain amount of damage.

Down Smash: Andy charges then on release summons a Bomber to fly over him from front to back, razing the ground as it goes, the ground explosions working as the hitboxes. If fully charged the explosions will leave behind napalm on the ground that does damage to those in it and has low knockback if it reaches a certain amount of damage.

Grab: Andy summons an Infantry and Mech to dive tackle slightly forward to hold the opponent.

Pummel: Stabbing/poking motion with the wrenches.

Forward Throw: Winds up to hit with the wrench like a baseball bat. Mech fires a rocket in followup for slightly more knockback. Not a kill throw until Mech rocket is Upgraded.

Up Throw: Grabs the opponent from his soldiers, struggling to hoist them above his head, crouches then straightens out and throws the opponent into the air. The Infantry fires in followup for damage. Not a kill throw.

Back Throw: Grabs the opponent by the lapels to swing them around and throw them backwards. Mech fires a rocket in followup for slightly more knockback. Not a kill throw until Mech rocket is Upgraded.

Down Throw: On command the soldiers throw the opponent to Andy's feet. Infantry fires at them for damage before Andy kicks them into the air. Not a kill throw.

Neutral Special: Hyper Repair/Hyper Upgrade: Andy charges his CO Stars by doing damage (only himself, not his units). If at 3 stars he can use Hyper Repair, posing to heal for 25%. If at 6 he'll use Hyper Upgrade, posing to heal for 50% and increasing the knockback and health of all of his summoned units. When used without enough Stars he'll pose, then grumpily throw his wrench in a longer ranged Forward Tilt for still minimal damage, only gaining range from the extra startup.

Side Special: Command ____: Andy takes out a radio, charging a unit in similar fashion to Pacman's Neutral B, displaying the current unit in a speech bubble from the radio, going from Recon to Light Tank, Medium Tank, Neotank, Mega Tank. This charge can be stored, and when released will summon the unit in front of Andy, moving forward and turning at ledges, faster at lower charge but much higher health at higher charge. Re-using side special causes the unit to fire an explosion in front of it, then disappear.

Up Special: Battle Copters: Andy summons a pair of Battle Helicopters above his head. If Up Special is pressed again he'll grab onto them for a fairly controlled recovery similar to Olimar and Villager, susceptible to having his Copters broken and going into free fall, if not they fly slightly upwards (approx. just above platform level) and then forwards firing diagonally downwards occasionally for flinching damage.

Down special: Artillery/Rocket Launcher: Summons an Artillery unit behind Andy that stays in place and starts charging up for a projectile attack. When fired this attack goes in a high (~platform and a half), short ranged arc with decent knockback. If done in an smash input then the Artillery will be replaced by a Rocket Launcher that takes longer to charge up, but travels slightly faster in a lower (not quite platform height) but much longer arc for the same knockback.

This moveset is basically to be a very good character at boxing out the opponent and preventing approaches, but has no kill options beyond the hard to hit off stage Forward Air spike or Down Special hits at quite high percentage, or a Smash attack that has the weakness of being preventable. That is unless he can manage to reach his second level of his Neutral Special, which largely requires him to get up close and attempt juggles outside of punishable, low damage pokes from an uncharged Neutral Special and Forward Tilt. Get in and he can have a hard time getting you back off and he's not too hard to kill, but he'll make that difficult until he can find an opportunity to get some good CO Meter charge, and sometimes he'll have to sacrifice his charge to stop you from getting the kill on him.
Yeah i'll add it.

I think the Moveset list in the OP looks disorganized AF. I need to do a big rehaul there lol.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Oh god dammit I forgot to add the FS again.

Final Smash: Chain of Commanders: Andy uses his Hyper Upgrade, this time with the screen wipe from the games, followed by a bunch of the other CO's having their CO Power screen wipes flash across as they add their support. Andy becomes much more buffed than usual, but now has all different coloured units of different types moving around the stage firing off blasts at random but not disappearing. If this is a performance issue then instead they can work as distant background props, firing a bunch of muzzle flashes followed by random explosions occuring all over the stage.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Oh god dammit I forgot to add the FS again.

Final Smash: Chain of Commanders: Andy uses his Hyper Upgrade, this time with the screen wipe from the games, followed by a bunch of the other CO's having their CO Power screen wipes flash across as they add their support. Andy becomes much more buffed than usual, but now has all different coloured units of different types moving around the stage firing off blasts at random but not disappearing. If this is a performance issue then instead they can work as distant background props, firing a bunch of muzzle flashes followed by random explosions occuring all over the stage.
No problem! Fixed!

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
Well I honestly don't know a ton about the story in the games simply because it was way too long ago when I played the first two games. Only Advance Wars and Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising.

And when I was young I wasn't good enough to beat them, I usually got somewhere close to the end and found a mission I would get stuck on and eventually stopped trying. Always stuck to the battle maps afterwards.

EDIT: I'll work on a move-set probably this weekend when I have time.

DNeon DNeon I kind of like that Final Smash idea if only for the multiple unit types from varying nations. One neat thing I liked from the games was that different nations had varied art to depict their cultural differences. Would be neat to see in-game. Heck, make Andy costumes for each nation for his regular moves too.

Last edited:

sman3579

Smash Cadet
Advance Wars is long overdue for a representative, and I would really like to see Andy as a playable character. Being able to use his units as his specials would be awesome. It would make for a really fun and unique character.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Today's fanart of the day features the Orange Star love triangle of Max/Nell/Grit. Done by user COChaos of Deviantart.

The love triangle between the 3 CO's always came across as odd to me. We hear a lot about it in the AW1 Campaign and Max seems to hold something against Grit beyond his defection to Blue Moon. Nell even outright asks Grit if he left because of Max and Grit more or less laughs it off. And really why Grit left for Blue Moon is a mystery in the first place. Maybe Intelligent Systems intentionally left that vague for us to speculate and guess.

Then AW2 rolls around and we never heard much of it again. Much like many other AW1 plot points lol.
Well I honestly don't know a ton about the story in the games simply because it was way too long ago when I played the first two games. Only Advance Wars and Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising.

And when I was young I wasn't good enough to beat them, I usually got somewhere close to the end and found a mission I would get stuck on and eventually stopped trying. Always stuck to the battle maps afterwards.

EDIT: I'll work on a move-set probably this weekend when I have time.

DNeon DNeon I kind of like that Final Smash idea if only for the multiple unit types from varying nations. One neat thing I liked from the games was that different nations had varied art to depict their cultural differences. Would be neat to see in-game. Heck, make Andy costumes for each nation for his regular moves too.
I know what you mean. The later parts of AW's Campaign felt like hell to me when I was a kid. I would always get my ass kicked one way or another and I couldn't do much without looking for a strategy guide online.

Which is funny now because I can do pretty much anything without the need of a guide nowadays. The perks of being a veteran player of this franchise I guess. Well except for AC AW1. That still gives me nightmares lol.

Looking forward to seeing your moveset!
Advance Wars is long overdue for a representative, and I would really like to see Andy as a playable character. Being able to use his units as his specials would be awesome. It would make for a really fun and unique character.
Much agreed! Advance Wars should have gotten a character back in the Brawl days. Will add you to the support list.

The blend of attacks he can use from his wrenches and his units instantly makes him stand out from everyone else.

I did a new moveset for Andy for the RTC a couple of days ago and i'll post it here. It deals with Andy using his wrench not just like a sword but also as a way to catch items, trap foes, and get multi-hits/combo's with his Jab/Tilts.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
So I had a thought about the "Academy" idea a new Advance Wars game could have.

I was thinking of a way to implement all those things Intelligent Systems talked about while keeping the setting in Wars World.

What if the next Advance Wars game took place a one generation after AW1-3? Like 20 years post Dual Strike?

So in the game we get to see what happens to everyone after the game. We get to see the child of Eagle/Sami, Jake/Sasha, and maybe even Max/Nell (or Grit/Nell).

And in addition to that we could see Andy, now in his mid-30's in a mentor role to the next generation of CO's or something. He could have a "Brenner" type role of being the experienced veteran opposite to the main character of the game.

Does that sound a bit too weird? I think it's a pretty interesting idea.
I wouldn't mind this at all.

That would keep the cast there while keeping things fresh for new fans.

Like Dark Dawn did, but hopefully better.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I wouldn't mind this at all.

That would keep the cast there while keeping things fresh for new fans.

Like Dark Dawn did, but hopefully better.
Lol now I have an urge to see Bearded, Mid-30's Andy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom