• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Just curious. Would you guys rather have Andy being the character that summons units to fight for him or actually use the units himself?
Not sure what you mean by 'use them', do you mean hop in them himself? Or do you mean that they perform a function and disappear, while summoning refers to a persistent thing, like a minor Nana (or is it Popo?). For instance would my suggestion of a Up B that summons copter that fly forward and shoot downwards be considered summoning because he's not personally using them, or would that just be 'using' since they're kind of like a glorified projectile.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Fanart of the day features the clones from Advance Wars: Dual Strike you face in the campaign. The four clones of Andy, Kanbei, Drake, and Olaf. Done by Deviantart user wildragon

Really creepy looking if you ask me lol. Which is supposed to be how they should come across. I was surprised they went with the clone idea again in Dual Strike after doing it in AW1. I would say most of the clone missions were pretty easy except for the Olaf and Drake ones. The Olaf one had a huge defensive wall for his units making it hard to get an offensive on him and Drake's was difficult because of FoW and that his Super CO Power would sabotage whatever you were doing by damaging all your units by 2HP as well as reducing your fuel by half.
Not sure what you mean by 'use them', do you mean hop in them himself? Or do you mean that they perform a function and disappear, while summoning refers to a persistent thing, like a minor Nana (or is it Popo?). For instance would my suggestion of a Up B that summons copter that fly forward and shoot downwards be considered summoning because he's not personally using them, or would that just be 'using' since they're kind of like a glorified projectile.
Yeah use them by actually getting inside of the Tank and moving/firing at will. I like that idea more than Andy having a Tank driven by someone else to fight for him.

Of course I wouldn't be opposed to either or even a blend of both ideas. They all make for some pretty interesting scenarios.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I'm definitely more for 'summoning' then, like entirely for summoning. that what the Wars games are, summoning units and having them follow your commands. That's what Andy is, he's a Commanding Officer. If we were talking about other COs coming later like Sami and Max, yeah, Max would drive and Sami would shoot, but first things first is Andy, representing AW as a whole. That means summoning.

I'm not going to pretend that it's not also the playstyle I prefer, I'm a big projectile/trap player, I love ranged pressure and stage control, area denial, hell I play a zoning role in just about every game I play from League of Legends to Splatoon. But despite that I'm just not sure it makes sense for Andy to be doing anything other than summoning. It's just so ingrained in how I see the series.

ALSO IT'S ANDY DAY TOMORROW GUYS, WE'RE DOING A DOUBLE DAY WITH CELICA.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm planning on doing a pretty big write up on that thread. Basically a revised moveset VS the one I did on Source Gaming two years ago.

I'm actually suprised Andy was nominated this fast. In the previous RTC's (pre-Smash 4, DLC, and post-DLC) it took months and months for Andy to be rated. He also faced stiff competition from Sami back in those days who shockingly hasn't even been nominated in the new RTC. Now Andy is being rated before the end of the first month of this RTC.

I'd like to think that's an indicator that people are thirsty for Advance Wars playable representation in this iteration of Smash. Pinkeys crossed.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I'm planning to write up too but I'm not sure I have quite the depth of knowledge about the Wars series. Might just be a moveset thing from me too.

And I'm also surprised about how quickly he got in. I think a lot of FE fans are now inundated with FE and that's causing them to fall back on another favourite series from IS? Maybe the 10 year mark itself is also where people really start to think about how long it's been without a Wars title. Maybe now that we're back in 'pre-release' territory and not DLC territory Sami's not being viewed so much as a possible Snake clone and they're wanting Snake back instead?

And yeah, I too hope that this is a symptom of a widespread desire for Andy and AW, not just a localised community here.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm planning to write up too but I'm not sure I have quite the depth of knowledge about the Wars series. Might just be a moveset thing from me too.

And I'm also surprised about how quickly he got in. I think a lot of FE fans are now inundated with FE and that's causing them to fall back on another favourite series from IS? Maybe the 10 year mark itself is also where people really start to think about how long it's been without a Wars title. Maybe now that we're back in 'pre-release' territory and not DLC territory Sami's not being viewed so much as a possible Snake clone and they're wanting Snake back instead?

And yeah, I too hope that this is a symptom of a widespread desire for Andy and AW, not just a localised community here.
On second though I might have to make it abridged. I'm not really feeling well TBH and I would rather get this done quickly. Will get the moveset in though, promise.

It could be that. It's been such a huge amount of time since the last Advance Wars game. It's clear that Intelligent Systems (or Nintendo IDK) wasn't keen on bringing the series back so naturally fans have come to really want to see the return of the franchise; whether or not Nintendo/IS will actually bring the franchise back or not.

Spiritual successors that popped up in recent years like Wargroove, Tiny Metal, Super Senso, Warbits, and other games have reinforced that fans have been wanting their AW fix as I mentioned a few pages back. The demand for Advance Wars to return is clearly there in addition to the rNintendoSwitch poll I mentioned before.

If nothing else, the want for this series to return is greater than it's ever been in the past decade.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Fanart of the day features the clones from Advance Wars: Dual Strike you face in the campaign. The four clones of Andy, Kanbei, Drake, and Olaf. Done by Deviantart user wildragon

Really creepy looking if you ask me lol. Which is supposed to be how they should come across. I was surprised they went with the clone idea again in Dual Strike after doing it in AW1. I would say most of the clone missions were pretty easy except for the Olaf and Drake ones. The Olaf one had a huge defensive wall for his units making it hard to get an offensive on him and Drake's was difficult because of FoW and that his Super CO Power would sabotage whatever you were doing by damaging all your units by 2HP as well as reducing your fuel by half.
Now this is the stuff of nightmares.

Yup, won't be sleeping tonight.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Now this is the stuff of nightmares.

Yup, won't be sleeping tonight.
It's funny because your avi really sells your reaction to the picture.

Don't worry though. Clone Andy isn't hiding under your bed...not yet anyways....:evil:

Last edited:

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
So with all of the "Fan-art of the day" how much fan-art is there for Advance Wars?
Only played the first two games before the internet was like it is today.
Hard to imagine there being a ton out there.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So with all of the "Fan-art of the day" how much fan-art is there for Advance Wars?
Only played the first two games before the internet was like it is today.
Hard to imagine there being a ton out there.
There's tons of Advance Wars related fanart on the internet. Seriously all you have to do is Google "Advance Wars Fanart" and you'll come across more than you can count. Deviantart (where I post most of the fanart) is loaded with Advance Wars stuff.

The series is more popular than you think.

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
There's tons of Advance Wars related fanart on the internet. Seriously all you have to do is Google "Advance Wars Fanart" and you'll come across more than you can count. Deviantart (where I post most of the fanart) is loaded with Advance Wars stuff.

The series is more popular than you think.
Never knew anyone who was into it when I was young. I just remember seeing it in the game section of Walmart and picking it up.
I guess it says a lot about the series when it hasn't had a game in 10 years and people are still holding on to its characters/themes in high-regard.

And since the roster has already been determined I'm just holding out for E3 and the smash release to see what Sakurai went for. Still hopeful, but I'm just gonna patiently await the eventual reveal(s).

EDIT:

Found this, lmao.

Also, curious about your signature... "If Smash is revealed I will change my avi to Corrin all the way to April 1st. That's how confident I am that Smash isn't going to be revealed here.". Do you dislike Corrin? :laugh: Sounds like a bet.

I found the default male Corrin to look odd with the hairdo so in Sm4sh I just stuck to the cuter FemCorrin. Love the play-style and character. The very ideal of nobility even if a tad naive. I would hate to see them cut if they are. (Hoping no one has to get cut except clones personally but we still know so little on development... not even some gameplay footage).

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Never knew anyone who was into it when I was young. I just remember seeing it in the game section of Walmart and picking it up.
I guess it says a lot about the series when it hasn't had a game in 10 years and people are still holding on to its characters/themes in high-regard.

And since the roster has already been determined I'm just holding out for E3 and the smash release to see what Sakurai went for. Still hopeful, but I'm just gonna patiently await the eventual reveal(s).

EDIT:

Found this, lmao.

Also, curious about your signature... "If Smash is revealed I will change my avi to Corrin all the way to April 1st. That's how confident I am that Smash isn't going to be revealed here.". Do you dislike Corrin? :laugh: Sounds like a bet.

I found the default male Corrin to look odd with the hairdo so in Sm4sh I just stuck to the cuter FemCorrin. Love the play-style and character. The very ideal of nobility even if a tad naive. I would hate to see them cut if they are. (Hoping no one has to get cut except clones personally but we still know so little on development... not even some gameplay footage).
Yeah I do but i'd rather not talk about it in this thread. Lets just say I made a bad bet and i'm stuck in this avi until the 1st (which is tomorrow to my delight :) ).

That fanart always makes me crack up. The idea of Olaf being a mall santa is pretty hysterical. I'd imagine him to be a pretty grumpy mall santa at that as well lol.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Hey mate maybe update the Signature to this:

Oh yeah lol. I forgot that the sig there is still the one from Smash 4. Will update it right now.

Come to think of it I should do a rehaul of the OP fixing a lot of things there like some broken images and stuff.

Can I add you to the support list?

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
Yeah I do but i'd rather not talk about it in this thread. Lets just say I made a bad bet and i'm stuck in this avi until the 1st (which is tomorrow to my delight :) ).

That fanart always makes me crack up. The idea of Olaf being a mall santa is pretty hysterical. I'd imagine him to be a pretty grumpy mall santa at that as well lol.
Well, you have Marth/Ike/Roy listed as mains for Melee/Brawl/ProjectM... so you clearly don't dislike Fire Emblem.
How can one dislike Corrin? :O

I kept Chrom as my avatar from my first Fire Emblem game. I really valued his character but I honestly like Corrin just as much if not more. (I seriously considered tattooing the symbol of the exalt on my shoulder in the same vain as Chrom - If I do though, it would be later down the road.)

Guess I may as well. Andy and Bomberman are basically the two I would seriously love to get in... all this talk making me want to go back and re-order my top 10 most wanted list. :p

Anyways, that's enough about Fire Emblem in this thread... (Though both games are from Intelligent Systems)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well, you have Marth/Ike/Roy listed as mains for Melee/Brawl/ProjectM... so you clearly don't dislike Fire Emblem.
How can one dislike Corrin? :O

I kept Chrom as my avatar from my first Fire Emblem game. I really valued his character but I honestly like Corrin just as much if not more. (I seriously considered tattooing the symbol of the exalt on my shoulder in the same vain as Chrom - If I do though, it would be later down the road.)

Guess I may as well. Andy and Bomberman are basically the two I would seriously love to get in... all this talk making me want to go back and re-order my top 10 most wanted list. :p

Anyways, that's enough about Fire Emblem in this thread... (Though both games are from Intelligent Systems)
I don't dislike FE. As I said dude i'd rather not talk about that in this thread. Don't want to get off-topic.

Andy and Bomberman are two characters that would be great additions to the roster. Mostly the former of course lol.

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah lol. I forgot that the sig there is still the one from Smash 4. Will update it right now.

Come to think of it I should do a rehaul of the OP fixing a lot of things there like some broken images and stuff.

Can I add you to the support list?
Yeah I thought I was on the list. But yeah definitely. Been a fan pof Andy for a while. Was my most wanted during Brawl days

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah I thought I was on the list. But yeah definitely. Been a fan pof Andy for a while. Was my most wanted during Brawl days
Yeah you're on the support list. Went back and checked.

I've wanted Andy since the post-Melee days when I was introduced to Advance Wars as a kid. My want for him skyrocketed in early 2016 when I got back in to the franchise.

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven

Is there a program/post that has these icons for different characters? May as well show my support for a bunch of 'em.

I don't dislike FE. As I said dude i'd rather not talk about that in this thread. Don't want to get off-topic.

Andy and Bomberman are two characters that would be great additions to the roster. Mostly the former of course lol.
And I didn't mean to sound like I needed an explanation, just seems odd for someone into FE to dislike Corrin. No idea what your reasons are, but I'm not holding that against you. To each their own.

I made my big FE post here... not going more off-topic than that.

EDIT: Can we adjust the size of images manually? My Kellam pic is getting cut off in my signature.

(DNeon silently stalking and 'liking' everything in this thread...)

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I find it funny that seemingly most people who are actively supporting Andy also have Bomberman super high on their want list.

DarkChaosGames DarkChaosGames to not go into it too deeply and derail the thread, I'd speculate that a lot of people who hate Corrin do so because they are FE fans and they were added in largely for marketing over supposedly "more deserving" FE options. We could do a 'conversation' for it if you're that interested.

Also those icon can be found or requested in the "Smash Switch's Signature Icons Thread" usually near the top of the General Discussion section.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Is there a program/post that has these icons for different characters? May as well show my support for a bunch of 'em.
There's a thread as DNeon mentioned that has a ton of SSB5 support icons.
I find it funny that seemingly most people who are actively supporting Andy also have Bomberman super high on their want list.
Bomberman isn't my most requested third party but he's certainly up there.

Crash is my most wanted third party. Him in Smash Bros would be a like a dream come true.

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven

DarkChaosGames DarkChaosGames to not go into it too deeply and derail the thread, I'd speculate that a lot of people who hate Corrin do so because they are FE fans and they were added in largely for marketing over supposedly "more deserving" FE options. We could do a 'conversation' for it if you're that interested.

Also those icon can be found or requested in the "Smash Switch's Signature Icons Thread" usually near the top of the General Discussion section.
Don't want to derail the thread so I'll keep this brief. I understand that adding a character for the sake of marketing seems sketchy, though I guess I didn't have issue with it because I was a more recent FE fan and was fine with Corrin as is.

I know I've heard many FE names among the smash community: Micaiah and Lyn among others which I personally have never experienced because of how new I am to the fan-base. I honestly could not say if these characters are more/less deserving as someone who has not played their games.

Outside of who is 'most deserving' of a spot I still really enjoy the creativity and design that went into Corrin's smash bros representation and move-set. I have found their play-style very fitting for myself and simply fun to play.

...time to get back to AW anyway. (The point of this thread...)

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
And they say AW doesn't have any waifu's lol.
I wanted to come up with a clever response but I can't. Nell is too good.
Sami is pretty cute, too.

(Trying not to post too much 'fanart' with your daily fanart thing going on. :p)

As an aside I think I'm gonna have to go back to the "top 10 wanted" thread and re-order my characters. In my haste I likely over/under-rated certain characters.

(Making sure Andy is gonna be top 5 for sure.)
*Also updated my signature. \o/

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Not gonna lie. I had a crush on Sami when I was younger.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Man we went to work on this page huh?

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Who didn't? :love:

Updated my Top 10 list if anyone cares.
Hmmm, I keep going back to mine, wondering if I rushed it too, but aside from Solaire being there for the memes, I can't think of one of them to replace. Maybe Toy-Con bot since there are better mecha characters? But I can't really think of any, let alone any that have potential to whip out some cute little cardboard toys.

Yeah, a couple more participants and being more social about it helps. It's how Daisy got to 50+ pages, they just chat.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I posted a huge TL: DR post on the RTC. Although it looks like not many people read it unfortunately.

It's a shame people don't understand how unique and creative Andy's moveset would be.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I was really hoping to get a moveset graphic done for today but there's a lot of stuff going on right now that I'm trying to keep up with. I'll hopefully get it done in the next few days now that I've learned some of the basics of my new graphics program. It might not look pretty but I'll get it done. Guess I'll head over to RTC now...

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
Well for myself personally I've been more social and open while overcoming an extreme depression.
I talk on this forum, not because I want Andy the most, but I feel Andy (and the series he comes from) is highly underrated and hope to help a character and series I feel deserves it.

If you want I can craft my own move-set too. The only thing I've concretely thought of was his Final Smash.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Well for myself personally I've been more social and open while overcoming an extreme depression.
I talk on this forum, not because I want Andy the most, but I feel Andy (and the series he comes from) is highly underrated and hope to help a character and series I feel deserves it.

If you want I can craft my own move-set too. The only thing I've concretely thought of was his Final Smash.
Go for it man, whatever helps you get the devil off your back. Whatcha thinking for the FS?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I was actually debating on whether or not Andy's Final Smash should be an Air Strike as I mentioned in the RTC or a Megatank.

I think the former was the better option although it might run the risk of lagging the game with the amount of air units on stage.

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
Go for it man, whatever helps you get the devil off your back. Whatcha thinking for the FS?
Well I posted it in my top 10 list, but basically he would summon various units (similar to the assist trophy as that would likely be replaced/removed), heal Andy and improve his defensive stats to be more in-line with his actual CO Powers.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well I posted it in my top 10 list, but basically he would summon various units (similar to the assist trophy as that would likely be replaced/removed), heal Andy and improve his defensive stats to be more in-line with his actual CO Powers.
That was actually my initial idea for Andy years ago before I changed it so he uses Hyper Repair/Upgrade as a separate mechanic.

Last edited:

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
That was actually my initial idea for Andy years ago before I changed it so he uses Hyper Repair/Upgrade as a separate mechanic.
The only reason I don't want it to be a part of his kit (outside of the smash ball) is the CO Powers really were a type of super-move or attack that swings a fight in a major way.

Design-wise it seems parallel to the purpose of the smash ball.
I'd have to think more about a proper move-set or tool-kit (haha... he's a mechanic... I'll leave now) for him otherwise.
I'll probably post something later for that when I get time.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The only reason I don't want it to be a part of his kit (outside of the smash ball) is the CO Powers really were a type of super-move or attack that swings a fight in a major way.

Design-wise it seems parallel to the purpose of the smash ball.
I'd have to think more about a proper move-set or tool-kit (haha... he's a mechanic... I'll leave now) for him otherwise.
I'll probably post something later for that when I get time.
Maybe but I think Andy having a CO Power meter in battle is a lot more unique and cooler than having it as a FS.

I also think it would boost his tier placement a lot higher if he had an ability like that. Watch competitive players spam Hyper Repair and camp all the time lol.

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
Maybe but I think Andy having a CO Power meter in battle is a lot more unique and cooler than having it as a FS.

I also think it would boost his tier placement a lot higher if he had an ability like that. Watch competitive players spam Hyper Repair and camp all the time lol.
I don't agree with that design, similar to how FG Cloud's would just try and run to spam Limit.
It just makes a very frustrating and less-interactive game experience unless done properly.

At least Little Mac is charged via damage dealt/taken. Something similar to that would be fine since you have to actually fight to utilize it. Though I don't think we need to throw in meters for everything. Limit, KO, etc.. Though I don't inherently hate the idea.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I don't agree with that design, similar to how FG Cloud's would just try and run to spam Limit.
It just makes a very frustrating and less-interactive game experience unless done properly.

At least Little Mac is charged via damage dealt/taken. Something similar to that would be fine since you have to actually fight to utilize it. Though I don't think we need to throw in meters for everything. Limit, KO, etc.. Though I don't inherently hate the idea.
We both agree with you here, in both our moveset ideas it charges based on doing/taking damage (just doing damage for me, specifically only melee damage)

Top Bottom